The Escapist Presents: Cabela's Escapist Field Trip

Cabela's Escapist Field Trip

The Escapist Staff takes a break to remind the fluffy animals who is on top of the food chain.

Watch Video

MAJOR, MAJOR bonus points for the ZP t-shirt!!!
Also, very nice to see yall in the flesh for once! :D

"It's coming straight for us!!!"

While the video is awesome in itself, how does Cabella's work as an on-rails shooter? Doesn't make sense to me. o.o

If you are going to build a toy gun that cool why not try and put some force feedback on it? Just some weight on a rail smashing against the rear end would do the trick.

The goofiness. It overwhelms us.

Doesn't look half bad but then the Cabella games have always been pretty solid. I missed out on the last few but I may have to try this one. Nice to see that the Escapist staff are actual humans too!

Hmm... The House of The Dead meets Man vs Wild. I can't see that working out well...

Also, it's always great seeing The Escapist staff doing silly stuff.

This many years later and they don't even have recoil like the resident evil: dead aim pistol.

Which is awesome because it has a slide that kicks back every time you hit the trigger and you can toggle a switch to make the gun full auto and chatter off gun shots with the hammer going crazy.

That intro confused me, they are trying to make it look so bad ass, but it is a cabella's game.

Cabela's, people! Cabela's!!!!

One solitary L.

I haven't touched a Cabela's game since the days they looked more like some sort of Diablo rip-off, what with the isometric views and clicking-to-aim. My problem with it then is that they seemed less like actual games than excuses to insert/plug as much Cabela's catalog content as possible. Trademarks and brand names everywhere!!!! Is that still the case with the new ones?

Look! MAH! HEY MAH! I'm on the Tee Vee!

MasterSplinter:
If you are going to build a toy gun that cool why not try and put some force feedback on it? Just some weight on a rail smashing against the rear end would do the trick.

force feedback is quite a niche feature for light guns, i cant imagine many people keeping something on that reduces accuracy

the point of force feedback in racing sims for example is so you can feel road transitions to know when to put the power down
or when you're abusing the tyres

for every non sim game, in my opinion it's just a game immersion breaker i disabled it in my dual-shock 2's and probably will for my xbox controller when i get around to it

however, if you really wanted to you could attach the light-gun led output to a relay switch and do it yourself it takes very little electrical knowledge but it would kill the batteries

this board would probably be more than sufficient:
http://www.active-robots.com/controllers/relays-switches/dual-relay-board.html

a liner actuator would probably be the most efficient way to generate your shocks, especially because it is accelerating mass it should feel somewhat like a tiny calibre rifle
i imagine the easiest way would be a magnet repelled by an electro magnet down a tube with a spring on it, else a motor with some piston type arrangement with a spring on it to reset the piston to a state where new shocks always push backwards

also, if you actually do it i want to see it when it's done :P
#edit#
a better way still might be to use a potentiometer or resistor wire to slow or disable the motor during the aft stroke phase, to minimise the gun's tendency to jerk itself out of your hand after a recoil pulse

#edit#
damn, now i want to build one. /sigh.

I would make a "lol redneck North Carolina" joke...but I live in South Carolina. And it actually looks pretty fun.

Also...I'm jealous of your job. I'll be thinking of that tomorrow when I'm dealing with mentally unstable teenagers.

I want to go!!!

My friends and I are playing a lot of Dominion at the moment. Settlers of Catan got old a while ago.

Shoggoth2588:
Doesn't look half bad but then the Cabella games have always been pretty solid. I missed out on the last few but I may have to try this one. Nice to see that the Escapist staff are actual humans too!

If this ongoing joke LP of one of the more recent Cabela's games is anything to go by, just ignore the recent ones.

I have to say, my opinion of Cabela's has been tarnished by the above LPers (they've used Cabela's as a joke in the past, like when they inserted large segments from one game into their MGS2 LP), but that actually sort of looked fun.

It's videos like this that make me want to abandon my ambition to become an English scholar and dive right into game journalism. D:

Oh well, back to my Beowulf essay. ;_;

So the trailer look good and it's a rail shooter? A rail shooter where you shoot copious amount of deer/geese at once. Last thread on this people where psyched because it looked like a survival game with shooter elements.

DustyDrB:
I would make a "lol redneck North Carolina" joke...but I live in South Carolina. And it actually looks pretty fun.

Also...I'm jealous of your job. I'll be thinking of that tomorrow when I'm dealing with mentally unstable teenagers.

Actually, most of us are transplants and have moved to North Carolina from other states. Only a handful of The Escapist staff are actually from North Carolina. True fact!

Ok, just to clarify a few things - we were playing two different games, one in Party Mode and one in Survival Mode. So that's why it's all basic shooting gallery type footage you're seeing. Survival Mode is part of Cabela's Survival, which is quite a departure from other Cabela's games. It has a third-person action/adventure storyline (your plane crashes in Alaska and you have to help a young doctor survive) in addition to the first person light gun gameplay. We didn't get to play that - and I'm a little dubious about using the thumbstick on the gunstock to move around - but the Survival Mode was stupid amounts of fun. The rest of the game could utterly suck, and it'd still be worth picking up.

Susan Arendt:
your plane crashes in Alaska

And they said I couldn't fly a plane with a gun.

They were right. :(

Once again, the second Carrie Keymel gets a gun, she goes into no-nonsense mode. It's awesome.:)

is it just me, or do those guns make them look like space marines, not for the emprah! space marines, but marines in space. just all the glowy lights, and orange and white plastic?

That is just awesome.

<3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or