Trailers: Sonic Generations - Modern Era Trailer

Sonic Generations - Modern Era Trailer

The most popular Hedgehog enters the 21st century.

Watch Video

Was that Perfect Chaos at the end? Damn my weakness for nostalgia!

Seriously, though, it looks like this Sonic has finally decided on a style of gameplay that was first introduced in Sonic Unleashed, with the behind-the-back thing. Having never played it, I don't really know how good it is....can anyone confirm for me?

this trailer looks awesome and it seems like modern Sonic's stages look at lot more fun and it seems like gameplay is better.

This game actually looks pretty fun. And now the fact that they are adding one of my favorite bosses, Maybe this might be the step in the right direction for sonic.

Holy shit. This is perfect. The modern stuff had the better atmosphere, but the classic gameplay is what I preferred. Seeing them mesh seamlessly is just amazing.

Sega, I want you to...

Nooners:

Seriously, though, it looks like this Sonic has finally decided on a style of gameplay that was first introduced in Sonic Unleashed, with the behind-the-back thing. Having never played it, I don't really know how good it is....can anyone confirm for me?

This game is supposedly going to have two different styles of gameplay - One like the Unleashed/Colors gameplay that switches between 2D and 3D gameplay with boosting and etc., and another with a different Sonic model that has gameplay entirely based around the classic Genesis/Megadrive games (the whole two Sonics thing is the entire gimmick of this game). The levels are going to be recreations of levels from games ranging back to the original three, the Adventure games on the Dreamcast, and the modern games and from what I've read there will be two separate versions of each level for each Sonic.

EDIT: Oh, and after noticing you asked how good it is, I myself absolutely loved the day levels in Unleashed though the level design was a bit poor, and the gameplay/level design/art direction from Colors absolutely amazed me.

Sonic's back!

ArchAngelKira:
Sonic's back!

He's been back since Colours :P

OT: DO. WANT. BADLY. NOW!

November is going to kill my wallet :(

Seriously, this game is looking like serious fun. If the rumors are true, let's hope this game gets released for the PC, I don't mind if it's released a couple of months later. I. WANT. TO. PLAY. THIS.

SupahGamuh:

Seriously, this game is looking like serious fun. If the rumors are true, let's hope this game gets released for the PC, I don't mind if it's released a couple of months later. I. WANT. TO. PLAY. THIS.

I second this post!

Mykin:

SupahGamuh:

I second this post!

The rumors have been confirmed! Check these links out: http://www.tssznews.com/2011/10/11/sega-makes-sonic-generations-pc-port-official/ and http://blogs.sega.com/2011/10/11/sonic-generations-confirmed-for-pc-digital-download/

Looking forward to the modern levels...well, moreso the Dreamcast era ones, but everyone knows the older Sonic fans tend to hate anything 3D, so I doubt they'd know the difference. :P

That said, I hope the 2D levels are actually fun. Nostalgia and I are relatively on different tracks and thus the actual gameplay may not appeal to me like they did when gaming was still growing.

shrekfan246:

Nooners:

This game is supposedly going to have two different styles of gameplay - One like the Unleashed/Colors gameplay that switches between 2D and 3D gameplay with boosting and etc., and another with a different Sonic model that has gameplay entirely based around the classic Genesis/Megadrive games (the whole two Sonics thing is the entire gimmick of this game). The levels are going to be recreations of levels from games ranging back to the original three, the Adventure games on the Dreamcast, and the modern games and from what I've read there will be two separate versions of each level for each Sonic.

EDIT: Oh, and after noticing you asked how good it is, I myself absolutely loved the day levels in Unleashed though the level design was a bit poor, and the gameplay/level design/art direction from Colors absolutely amazed me.

Agreed. Though, strangely enough, I found to enjoy Unleashed better than Colors. But anyways, both aspects of the game are shaping up to be great. Especially considering that the PC-version has been confirmed. For more details on that, check this link out at http://www.tssznews.com/2011/10/11/sega-makes-sonic-generations-pc-port-official/

arc1991:

ArchAngelKira:
Sonic's back!

He's been back since Colours :P

OT: DO. WANT. BADLY. NOW!

November is going to kill my wallet :(

To me, he's been back since Unleashed. He showed his strength in Colors.

ProjectTrinity:
Looking forward to the modern levels...well, moreso the Dreamcast era ones, but everyone knows the older Sonic fans tend to hate anything 3D, so I doubt they'd know the difference. :P

That said, I hope the 2D levels are actually fun. Nostalgia and I are relatively on different tracks and thus the actual gameplay may not appeal to me like they did when gaming was still growing.

From all the gameplay trailers, screenshots, and leaked data that I have seen, both gameplay styles seem very polished. Funnily enough, most of my nostalgia for Sonic is split between Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure 1. I am looking more forward to the modern-levels than all of the classic levels. I suggest you get the HD or PC version of the game once it comes out next month. I have high hopes, and I'm hoping the communities at Steam and beyond will be able to add more levels in (if possible).

But anyways, let's hope this game pleases the fanbase and rakes enough case for Sega to continue on. Maybe the next game can finally go to back to having more than just Sonic. Fanbase be darned, we have been stuck with just Sonic for over five years. Time to us to move on, and regain the glory that Sonic once had. As always, enjoy :D!

Maybe im just being nitpicky here but wasnt Sonic the hedgehog 2006 technicaly erased from counuity after sonic beat solaris. Just a thought anyway choas is still one of my favoirte boss charecters from the seris and if this game lets me fight him agian im all for it. Plus I also find it intiring that the wisps will be power ups in the sonic colors levels.

Verdilian:

Agreed. Though, strangely enough, I found to enjoy Unleashed better than Colors. But anyways, both aspects of the game are shaping up to be great. Especially considering that the PC-version has been confirmed. For more details on that, check this link out at http://www.tssznews.com/2011/10/11/sega-makes-sonic-generations-pc-port-official/

Oh [Expletive Deleted]. You just made my day. I've been hoping there would be a PC version ever since the rumors of one were first leaked. I was already planning on getting it for the PS3 either way, but if it's good enough on that and the PC port turns out to be nicely polished I might actually just buy it twice.

did anyone else think that the opening song sounded like an altered version of the mortal kombat movie theme?

Nooners:

I liked it. I really like Unleashed but a lot of people hated it. Bear in mind 98% of the people who ever respond to sonic games are people who spew bile and hatred and make shit up before finishing it, some without even playing it (ign, gamespot, Russ Pitts, too many to name really) and people who call themselves "fans" but then immediatley hate the game because it's not sonic 1, 2 or 3 & knuckles, and I don't mean a throwback I mean it's literally not the same game. When you think about it Sonic has a very small fanbase. And before people call me a fanboy let me say that the only people I've ever seen justify why they think Sonic Unleashed was a bad game was Yahtzee and Gamesweasal- woah sorry, went on a rant there. Gee how do I fix this...

Not rant version: I liked it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here