No Right Answer: Puppets vs CGI

Pages PREV 1 2

One of the reasons the new movie version of Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy was so great was because a large portion of the creatures were puppets/giant suits.

CGI, the possibilities are endless. And are often way more believable then puppets, I believe.

Damnit...now I want too re-watch Muppets: Treasure Island. xD

OT: Bit of both really, some movies are good with puppets, Nightmare Before Christmas and some are good CGI movies, like Shrek....I like Shrek movies...not the third so much though.

If you didn't say creatures, I would have to go with Kyle. But no. CGI monsters could always be improved by being terrible puppets.

Extra points for Chris' Kermit impression. That was frighteningly accurate.

Where the Wild Things Are. Nuff said.

Absolutionis:
Gollum was the perfect combination of puppet and CGI. Gollum was amazing. This should have been a tie.

Yes, I was wondering why he didn't make the argument that Gollum was just the next step in puppetry!

Wait, don't we all agree that when something can be made by puppets, it should be?

So the question is, was CGI taking over a good thing? Or more so, have we achieved more by stopping to push the limitations of puppets and forfeiting to CGI?
Well, in the long run CGI will be perfect someday, but I just feel we're missing out on some madly cool animatronics... I guess that's now up to the indie-market of the future.

Oh, and righty should have lost a point for the things Yoda did on the prequels.

Holy crap. That was an incredible Kermit the frog impersonation ._.

Jim Henson died for our sins.

I'm sorry, Kyle. You may have won this week, but if you're defending CGI over puppetry and your opponent brings up Andy Serkis before you, you automatically lose.

"You couldn't have Yoda flipping around as a puppet."
It would have been better that way. Yoda should never have used a lightsaber.

Both sides are good, but CGI is frequently used as a shortcut.

That was a really good Kermit.

Um... it wasn't close CGI beats puppets, hands down. Puppets have a unique charm to them. But they don't have the same capability to create great film as CGI does. Nuff said.

CGI is amazing, so I am not going to be giving puppets all the praise. One of the strongest arguments I saw within the video was that you can do so much more with CGI then puppets (especially trying to make Yoda walk with a puppet body) it wouldn't work thus people of today know it just looks fake rather then knowing it's fake but admiring it.

So CGI has a better advantage, yet many love puppets because they brought out the good stuff back then (and even now but only in some movies).

This is the second episode I've watched of this show, and I'm a little disappointed. The last one revealed you guys were Farscape fans, and yet in a discussion about puppets, you fail to mention it. What the hell?

Signa:
This is the second episode I've watched of this show, and I'm a little disappointed. The last one revealed you guys were Farscape fans, and yet in a discussion about puppets, you fail to mention it. What the hell?
]

I did mention Farscape on page 1 but I don't really understand your sentence... the last what?

ViciousTide:
What! No mention of CG Yoda Kicing some ass on the big screen in Episode 2 and 3!

Pretty sure that was one of Kyle points...

OT: I agree with Kyle, the both have there places and as long as puppets don't go away completely I'll be happy. But we need more people like Andy Serkis as motion capture acting is the way forward for those type of characters.

Also Chris; Less Kermit more Stephen Hawkins...

"Puppetry" is a very, very broad art form, it encompasses claymation, marionettes, animatronics, stop-motion and a load of other stuff I'm too lazy to list right now. I'm more for puppetry mostly because I grew up on Aardman, I love the movie Coraline and Nightmare Before Christmas and I've always been a fan of animatronics used in the likes of many Spielberg movies and many other classics like The Thing, Evil Dead, Jason And The Argonauts and Tremors.

CGI is also very broad, but I'm more in support of puppetry simply because it seems to be a dying art form in movies today and I don't want to see good craftsmanship being superseded by digital methods. They're both great in their own right and they both have their own utility, so I just hope that CGI doesn't dominate the vista completely as that would be a shame.

I'm a supporter of the Weta Workshop method. Puppets, prosthetics, CGI, miniatures, sets, background paintings, everything. Use it all.

GrandmaFunk:

Signa:
]

I did mention Farscape on page 1 but I don't really understand your sentence... the last what?

The last video about Starwars and George Lucas. Flashes of posters showing Farscape 'n' stuff.

I guess I missed your post, because I skimmed briefly for any mention of the show and didn't see it.

Like I tried to say (poorly), this is the second episode of No Right Answer I've watched. So when I said "the last one" it means the one other episode I've watched.

ah, gotcha =)

AWESOME. KERMIT. THE FROG!
I know a bunch of people have probably already mentioned it, but its just so damn good!

ViciousTide:
What! No mention of CG Yoda Kicing some ass on the big screen in Episode 2 and 3!

Why bother? CG Yoda may have had a 30 second lightsaber fight, but it was animatronic Original Trilogy Yoda who blew the minds of millions of sci-fi fans in Empire Strikes Back. Check out the below scene if you don't believe me:

I'm a fan of the prequels, but even I can readily admit that there is not a single scene in the new films that approaches the awesomness of this scene. Yoda may be nothing more than an animatronic puppet in the original films, but the wisdom and sheer emotional clout of his scenes in Empire leave his younger CG self in the dust. Besides, Yoda looks far more realistic as an animatronic: in the newer films, he moves with that fluid CG dynamism which always looks fake to the eye, whereas in the OT he moves and interacts like a stumpy little green man would.

GrandmaFunk:
Farscape was a great example of how puppets can deliver excellent performances.

Exactly. If Chris had seen it before the discussion, puppets would have surely won. The blooper reel alone is awesome enough ^^

Holy Gods, Chris does a fantastic Kermit the Frog impression! =D

Also, I would like to make a point about the Yoda fight scene from the prequels // You say that they had to use CGI in that scene as there is no way they could have had Yoda do all those back-flips and so forth without it // That is true. But it's because they had him made out of CGI they had him fighting the way he was // If they had have stuck with puppet Yoda that fight would have been a lot more muted on his side but they could have shown that a 900 year old Jedi can really do // His action would have been slower, but just as powerful // It would have turned the fight into more of a defensive fight for Yoda. Everything that was thrown at him he could have easily shopped.

They have the tech, but that does not mean they should use it

-M

Practical effects will ALWAYS be superior to digital ones.

CGI is like someone juggling chainsaws looks cool when done right a disaster when mishandled doesn't age well as a trick overshadows better but less flashy tricks and now boring because everyone is doing it.

"You can't puppets jumping and flipping around" (yes, I am paraphrasing)

Muppet Tresure Island, suck it

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or