Critical Miss: Dark Souls

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I already know how tough that game is. Truth be told, I had no interest in the game ever since Demon's Souls came out years ago.

So true ... I thought the game was trolling me with Anor Londo ... then I went into the Tomb of Giants *shudders*

Don't even get me started on those cheating motherfuckers with the Ring of Fog.

I always hated the trite "it gets better" videos.

That alone could bring a smile to my face.

I like the character setup for this game. You arrive at character customization, you spend four hours on your character's face until you have it juuuuuust right. Perfect. The way you wanted it. And then? You start the game and your face looks like hamburger. I'm talking human anatomy textbook showing the muscle layers of the face. WHAT?!

I know you can fix it, but odds are you better get used to looking at old hamburger puss.

I concur. Had my first real RAGE moment last knight. It involves a very small catwalk, and two archers that fire spears at you. I'll let that sink in...

"Fantasy Dysentery" Is this some sort of re-imagining of The Oregon Trail? (Tee hee hee)

Is the mouse feeling Erin up in the 3rd panel???

aww geez! can someone buy me a PS3 now?! >.>
i'll be very thankful :3

"It will kill you a lot." And that's what I love about it.

otakon17:
I concur. Had my first real RAGE moment last knight. It involves a very small catwalk, and two archers that fire spears at you. I'll let that sink in...

Oh man, fuck those guys!

I died so many times trying to run past the guy on the right, it was insane.

"Hey Bob, maybe we should fire arrows at that trespasser."

"Hmm, you're right Dave, but this guy looks tough..."

"You mean?..."

"Yes Dave, break out the fucking spear bows."

otakon17:

HAH I cleared that part on my first try in Anor Londo wait until you start the Demon Ruins. I'm loving the game I'm a Demons Souls vet so I'm a bit more hardened then people new to the experience although I do get into a few rough patches. That being said game is fun its a contender for rpg of the year next to Skyrim. The most rewarding experience I ever played since Demons Souls and I like the fact that it actually challenges the player.

EverythingIncredible:

Is that the ring that makes you not able to lock-on to the player if so. I agree, it is soo cheap!

guise709:

otakon17:

HAH I cleared that part on my first try in Anor Londo wait until you start the Demon Ruins. I'm loving the game I'm a Demons Souls vet so I'm a bit more hardened then people new to the experience although I do get into a few rough patches. That being said game is fun its a contender for rpg of the year next to Skyrim. The most rewarding experience I ever played since Demons Souls and I like the fact that it actually challenges the player.

Well, goody for you. Every time I get up there, I get shot in the back and knocked off the 8 inch wide platform. So, I'm going back with Poison Arrows, killing the guy on the left THEN I can handle the guy on the right. Also, I've beaten Demon's Souls myself as well, and don't remember a part this frustrating since the second half of the Tower of Latria. What is From Software's obsession with bottomless pits?

otakon17:

guise709:

otakon17:

Well, goody for you. Every time I get up there, I get shot in the back and knocked off the 8 inch wide platform. So, I'm going back with Poison Arrows, killing the guy on the left THEN I can handle the guy on the right. Also, I've beaten Demon's Souls myself as well, and don't remember a part this frustrating since the second half of the Tower of Latria. What is From Software's obsession with bottomless pits?

What I did was use a tower shield and go for the knight on the right. The tower shield causes them to bounce off and leaves them open for attack, you can also riposte their swings albeit more difficult. The attacks I did caused him to fall off using my Iato+10 but I don't know if it was luck but the knight on the left was unable to hit me I must of been behind a wall or something. With a tower shield I found the knights easy to take care of and it should make the rest of the level cake if you pull them one at a time. Also check for mimics

guise709:

otakon17:

guise709:

snip

snip

What I did was use a tower shield and go for the knight on the right. The tower shield causes them to bounce off and leaves them open for attack, you can also riposte their swings albeit more difficult. The attacks I did caused him to fall off using my Iato+10 but I don't know if it was luck but the knight on the left was unable to hit me I must of been behind a wall or something. With a tower shield I found the knights easy to take care of and it should make the rest of the level cake if you pull them one at a time. Also check for mimics

Yeah, I know about Mimic's already. I was using a Tower Shield too, but even with high Poise and heavy gear it's the fact that their attacks push you back that keeps killing me. Regular archers, no problem. Not only that, but their attack range is ridiculous. Usually, the draw distance won't even let you SEE enemies at that range. Noticed it in Sen's Fortress.

Ha! Brilliant!

figday:
aww geez! can someone buy me a PS3 now?! >.>
i'll be very thankful :3

You do realise it's not console exclusive anymore?

ZZoMBiE13:
Is the mouse feeling Erin up in the 3rd panel???

Nah, he's falling cuz she leaned forward.

otakon17:

I was fighting those demon things when i saw those spears come at me, was like 'hey must be a ballista ahead'. Then i saw two random knights with bows bigger than me firing fucking spears at me. Hardest part of the game by far for me, I actually killed the right knight the first time i went up but went back for the left one and got taken out by the knockback somehow pushing me into the pit instead of the wall, rage was had.

EverythingIncredible:

Korten12:

EverythingIncredible:

Is that the ring that makes you not able to lock-on to the player if so. I agree, it is soo cheap!

STAY OUT OF MY FOREST!

*Ahem*

Do you guys remember the scraping spear? I was -that- guy in PvP. Really, if you don't know what that one does, I want you to go look it up and imagine the lulz that were had. XD

Well, it is very difficult, but, after you get used to the init-

otakon17:

Yeah, that was a lovely part. You can get those bows, though, in Anor Londo.

That it does, that it does. But then you get the lightning spear and life is good.

And I vote for patching the fog ring to only provide invisibility, not prevent lock on. Controls in this game really suck without lock on.

Daystar Clarion:

otakon17:

Oh man, fuck those guys!

"You mean?..."

Designer 1: "The player has to walk up this narrow area, how do we make that hard?"
Designer 2: "We have Black Knights firing arrows at the player."
Designer 3: "Too easy. Make them super arrows that knock the player backward when blocked!"
Designers: "Brilliant!"

Out of it's original context, "cursed by a frog" sounds really weird. Especially since you said it's something that's not so bad. It peaks my interest anyway.

Wait wait wait wait, back up...

Penny Arcade has punch lines?!

Daystar Clarion:

otakon17:

Oh man, fuck those guys!

"You mean?..."

Just wait till you meet the Wheel Skeletons ...

*Sees one coming at you*
"Hah! Not this time!"
*Dodges moves in for the kill*
*Just as you close in a second one comes from out of nowhere and gets you from behind*
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

[/quote]

*Sees one coming at you*
"Hah! Not this time!"
*Just as you close in a second one comes from out of nowhere and gets you from behind*
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"[/quote]

Dear pinwheel skeletons,

Love you, too!

cynicalsaint1:

Daystar Clarion:

otakon17:

Oh man, fuck those guys!

"You mean?..."

*Sees one coming at you*
"Hah! Not this time!"
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

Yeah, those guys are a pain in the arse, if you're shield doesn't have great stability they will just chew apart your stamina.

Oh man does it get worse. I'm heading towards the tail end of the game and it is pulverizing me much more than the first half of the game. The tomb of the giants is probably one of the most evil places out there, makes the Valley of Defilement seem like a cakewalk.

Though like all Dark/Demon's Souls locations, you eventually get used to it. Loving the heck out of it.

otakon17:

Agreed, that part was absolutely brutal, I dread to think what it's like for someone not using a spear.

Grey Carter:

It gets...

Read Full Article

May we inquire what platform you play on?

Kasawd:

EverythingIncredible:

Korten12:

EverythingIncredible:

STAY OUT OF MY FOREST!

*Ahem*

Do you guys remember the scraping spear? I was -that- guy in PvP. Really, if you don't know what that one does, I want you to go look it up and imagine the lulz that were had. XD

Well, it is very difficult, but, after you get used to the init-

otakon17:

Yeah, that was a lovely part. You can get those bows, though, in Anor Londo.

Look, all I am there to do is to get that wolf's soul so that I can forge it into a greatsword. Then I am going to cheat all the way to 710 and kill everything with it. :D

Korten12:

Grey Carter:

It gets...

Read Full Article

May we inquire what platform you play on?

360, though I wouldn't recommend it, using the bumpers for attacks feels very weird.

I saw that Miracle of Sound reference. It made me very happy.

As for the comic, I completely agree. What a fuck-you game. I tried it at my friend's house the other day and yelled at the first "boss" because I thought I was supposed to die like in Demon's Souls. I thought the game was glitching out until I found the door.

RJ Dalton:
Out of it's original context, "cursed by a frog" sounds really weird. Especially since you said it's something that's not so bad. It peaks my interest anyway.

Funny thing is, that is the most devious thing listed. Curse insta kills you and halves your health when you respawn until you cure it. That cure runs you 4k.

Daystar Clarion:

Yeah, those guys are a pain in the arse, if you're shield doesn't have great stability they will just chew apart your stamina.

If you're using your shield at all for those guys, you're doing it wrong.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here