Escape to the Movies: The Thing

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Thing

A remake of a remake of an adaptation.

Watch Video

188 days I will spend dreading due to low expectations from Marvel's hubris. 30 (and 37) days I will spend in anticipation due to high expectations that will be met.

Anyway, this almost makes me angry due to The Thing being one of my favorite horror films EVER. It holds up incredibly well to this day.

Anyone know where to get 'The thing from another world'? I've looked everywhere for a copy

A similar reason is why Sean Bean ended up in the Silent Hill film.

Oh that sucked the trailers made it look pretty good but then again tahts what trailers are for. Your right with the animatronics thing they don't make films like they use to. I remember scenes like The Road Warrior where they used actual cars crashing into other cars to get the effects and those scenes is still one of the best car chase scenes in film right now. Sucks to see it happen but business is business and time is money.

I can't say this review was surprising, but that doesn't make me any less disappointed.

I am actually more interested in seeing what Bob thought the Avengers trailers. Only 188 days? I think i can wait that long just need to survie xmas.

i knew bob was going to put the avengers tralier in there somewhere, also i just got a copy of the thing (the 1982 version) and i cant wait to see it

I just realized my dog looks really similar to the one they find at the beginning of the John Carpenter one. >.>

And without Kurt Russell or Wilford Brimley, there was no way this could have been anywhere near as good as the previous film.

Yo dawg, I heard you like remakes...

Seriously though, I would have watched the Avengers trailer again. :p

Now I'm confused. A friend of mine, who is a filmmaking student, said it was f'ing awesome. I tend to agree with Bob almost every time though, so I'm going to pass on this one.

I say brilliant review MovieBob. Sure, I had no interest in the movie (not my kind of movie) but it was nice to hear a well paced in-depth reasoning as why not to watch it.

Also, when you started playing the Avengers trailer I was actually fooled for a moment into thinking you had finished the review there and then and was actually going to simply play Avenger footage for the rest. Should of realised this was not the case when the footage began about mid way through the trailer.

The review was in-depth and funny so once again, brilliant review.

For a second there, I actually thought you were going to roll the Avengers trailer for the rest of the video.

Carpenter's The Thing really doesn't really rank up there for "memorable character". And if you didn't know Wilford Brimley was going to be the "face on the final boss fight," then you need to have your brain checked. Carpenter's The Thing is not really "classical" material: it's a cult film. Last time I checked, those two concepts are radically different.

So I fail to see how you can complain about these things int he remake if not even the original got them right, unless you are so blinded by nostalgia, and bitterly cynical about Hollywood to the point where it obscures your obligations as a critic.

Oh wait, this is MovieBob we're talking about. Of COURSE he can't do a proper job because he's too blinded by nostalgia and bitterly cynical about Hollywood! Silly me... expecting a critic to actually be critical instead of just complaining about how it's Hollywood being Hollywood and that it's not original!

Once again, MovieBob really cements himself as being one of the worst contributors on this site.

The thing, being my favorite horror movie of all time, I was really hoping this would be good. Oh well.

EverythingIncredible:
Yo dawg, I heard you like remakes...

Seriously though, I would have watched the Avengers trailer again. :p

Actually yes, as would i :P

But on the topic of The Thing, the original film is still brilliant, I love Doc especially. Everyone was full of personality, the film managed to show its monster and have it WORSE than you could imagine and the story generally didn't follow what you were expecting it too.

I would also reccomend the Spoony reveiw of thr game over this movie (since it is one of the things that got Yhatzee to do what he does)

MatParker116:
A similar reason is why Sean Bean ended up in the Silent Hill film.

Because his parts were the only well-acted or good bits in the movie?

I may see this. Didn't think it would be as good as The Thing to begin with.

Stall:
Carpenter's The Thing really doesn't really rank up there for "memorable character". And if you didn't know Wilford Brimley was going to be the "face on the final boss fight," then you need to have your brain checked.

So I fail to see how you can complain about these things int he remake if not even the original got them right, unless you are so blinded by nostalgia, and bitterly cynical about Hollywood to the point where it obscures your obligations as a critic.

Oh wait, this is MovieBob we're talking about. Of COURSE he can't do a proper job because he's too blinded by nostalgia and bitterly cynical about Hollywood! Silly me... expecting a critic to actually be critical instead of just complaining about how it's Hollywood being Hollywood and that it's not original!

Once again, MovieBob really cements himself as being one of the worst contributors on this site.

Now perhaps I am forgetting the finer details of the review, but I do not recall MovieBob stating Carpenter's The Thing didn't have those petty things you mentioned. I think he only complimented it for the special effects, being well directed, and by inference not being boring. Which I can actually agree. Now I would agree that the characters in Carpenter's Thing didn't have the best characters, but I was at least engaged in it enough that I could remember them. But to each his own I guess.

i find it funny that hollywood exec. people would actually think a prequel would be better than a remake. I think the only thing getting more shafted and hated on than remakes are prequels (three in particular). There's just alot more remake material to sling mud at.

Original: 2.99 at HMV.

Do it.

Then rewatch No Right Answer and shout Kyle down.

Tom Templeton:
Anyone know where to get 'The thing from another world'? I've looked everywhere for a copy

Or 4 on Amazon

Thanks Bob. You just saved me a fistful of bills.

In mostly unrelated news, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is still gorgeous. Oh yes and woo for Avengers!

Not going to see this film at all, but I will say that the 1982 "The Thing" scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.........and still does. Animatronic puppets are just far more frightening than CGI.

I often disagree with Bob's opinions (e.g. liked Robin Hood and Green Lantern, disliked Prince of Persia, just plain laughed at the Planet of the Apes film), but I'll take it into consideration nonetheless - when I rent the movie a few months down the line. I can't watch horror flics in the theatre, the tension drives me crazy.
Anyway, did the 1982 version really need a remake? About a year ago I watched it for the very first time, and in my opinion today's special effects and CGI can't produce anything remotely as scary as the kind of body horror displayed in that movie.

My movie of the week that I went to go see was:

Ghostbusters

And it was amazing.

No surprise here, unfortunately.

If there was some way I could start an elite strike team to stop the remake machine forever, I doubt I would have a hard time finding recruits. Seriously, if we could take that fucker out, it would be a massive victory for creativity everywhere...

Fuck you. Juan Carlos Fresnadillo.

Sonicron:
I often disagree with Bob's opinions (e.g. liked Robin Hood and Green Lantern, disliked Prince of Persia, just plain laughed at the Planet of the Apes film), but I'll take it into consideration nonetheless - when I rent the movie a few months down the line. I can't watch horror flics in the theatre, the tension drives me crazy.
Anyway, did the 1982 version really need a remake? About a year ago I watched it for the very first time, and in my opinion today's special effects and CGI can't produce anything remotely as scary as the kind of body horror displayed in that movie.

Yeah, The Thing provided some of the most horrifying scenes I've seen in a horror film.

Harry Mason:
No surprise here, unfortunately.

If there was some way I could start an elite strike team to stop the remake machine forever, I doubt I would have a hard time finding recruits. Seriously, if we could take that fucker out, it would be a massive victory for creativity everywhere...

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo.

You'd have to hit it from orbit. Only way to be sure.
/oblig

For those of you who haven't seen the original, see it. It's really well done and stretches the tension out in a way that few horror movies tend to do. In addition, it's a fascinating time capsule of what frightened America at the time. I'm not suggesting it's political by any means, just that it's an interesting way peer into the psyche of a culture.

Also, the ending is fantastic. Even scary movies don't do that much anymore.

Stall:
Carpenter's The Thing really doesn't really rank up there for "memorable character". And if you didn't know Wilford Brimley was going to be the "face on the final boss fight," then you need to have your brain checked. Carpenter's The Thing is not really "classical" material: it's a cult film. Last time I checked, those two concepts are radically different.

How about this then? Compare any of the CGI from the new Thing film, with this shot.

I'd like to note... by the way...

Damn you Robert Downey Jr! You're such an asshole!

I didn't want to care about the Avengers because I don't like Marvel... but then you come along, being all witty, and charming... and now I kinda want to watch your movie...

I enjoyed the Ironman movies so much, because I could watch it and pretend the rest of the Marvel universe didn't exist, so long as if I left before the credits were over.

Angry!

Stall:

But he explains it. he explains why he liked the original and doesn't like the remake in the review. That's why he gets to call it a "review".

I'm sorry, but what?

"Sausagefest". The interesting thing about the 1982 Carpenter version is precisely that it is a sausagefest. Most horror films throw in at least one or two female characters so they can be the ones to panic and scream at the monster. Here you have a bunch of hardened men, the kind assigned to harsh conditions for months at a time, losing their shit. A very unique dynamic you just don't see in other horror films. (The closest is that other great 80s horror sci-fi film, James Cameron's Aliens, where the female characters keep their heads on even while scared out of their minds, and if there's any useless panicking it's among the male characters.)

Stall:

Dude! Spoiler tags for the unintiated!

And sure, with today's knowledge of movie tropes you can predict the ending of Carpenter's "The Thing". Not so easy back in 1982 when it was inventing or establishing some of those very same tropes.

Sorry, Bob, but as far as I'm concerned there will only ever be one The Thing. And it was played by James Arness. I don't mind the love for Carpenter, but I just don't care for that sort of horror. The (real) original was not horror so much as suspense, which is probably why I prefer it. Still, I know I'm in a minority and I don't begrudge anyone their love of Carpenter's movie. Just don't ask me to sit down and watch it with you.

All the same, I'm glad to hear this one isn't good. No harm meant to those involved in it, but I didn't see a reason for it to be made and didn't want it to be successful. I hope they go on to better things than this.

188 days that can't go fast enough! It's the only movie I'm looking forward to...
Not a big surprise this wasn't any good, but as last week showed us there's always hope. Oh well, now that's gone too.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here