Diablo III Has Single Player Online

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Diablo III Has Single Player Online

Shamus shares his thoughts on the Diablo III beta.

Read Full Article

I already have enough crap to up with trying to get games to work on Steam. Any more lame attempts to introduce drag SP games kicking and screaming onto the interblag for arbitrary reasons will be met by me with scorn and contempt.

Diablo III can suck big sweaty ones.

Shamus Young:
Just remember, you're going through extra hassle to save them extra hassle.

Isn't that's just what it's all about? You need to work for us now.

I'm sorry, having to make a separate character to play online is not so much of a fucking inconvenience that I would give up all that other stuff. No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?! I can't believe a company like Blizzard was the first one to make such a horrendous dick move. This is total bullshit from the ground up, period. The online features like the auction house and cheat prevention should be optional. I should be able to play without an Internet connection, pause the damn thing, and mod the ever living fuck out of my game if it's single player. End of discussion. I can't believe the justification going around for this shit. It makes me furious. Fuck you, Blizzard. You used to be cool.

You Can't Pause the Game

There really is no way to quickly suspend the on-screen action. Did the phone ring during a boss fight? Did one of your kids fall in the middle of a dungeon crawl? Did the smoke alarm go off? Someone at the door? Spill hot coffee all over your desk? Having a bathroom emergency? Does the pet need to be let out? Did your significant other just storm into the room with something urgent? Well, you can either be irresponsible or you can let your character die.

This doesn't encourage healthy gaming habits, and it means you should probably choose a different game if you think you might be interrupted.

Well, in that case, I can only conclude that like From Software, the people making Diablo 3 are completely incompetent. After Demon's Souls, no pause button for single player (even if you want me to be online) = no buy. Pausing is something we mastered in the 1980's, and if you can't handle today, screw you and screw your game.

Dorkmaster Flek:
No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?! I can't believe a company like Blizzard was the first one to make such a horrendous dick move.

You clearly never played Demon's Souls.

I recall a news thread on here a while back with a quote from blizzard to the effect of "If your play diable offline single player, then your playing the game wrong." I don't think making it online only does anything more than try to encourage people who would be doing offline to use the auction house.

Dorkmaster Flek:
No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?!

Dark Souls does that too. But the game itself and its developer From Software are pretty clear and honest from the get go that they hate you and everything you stand for. I don't know why Blizz can't do the same if they're going to act like this.

And you can play the game offline so... Yeah. Normally I try not to use extreme language for something like a video game but Blizzard can bite me. I used to find their lack of innovation replaced with sheer polish charming and fun, now they're just trying to piss me off. A sad fate for an old friend.

Damn you already beat me to it. Was going to say at this rate Diablo 3 is looking to be a Dark Souls dungeon crawler whos single purpose is to piss you off in every possible way. Not sure why they would cut out so much to implement a single thing that I doubt a ton of people wanted/needed to keep playing the Diablo franchise.

Drinking too much Dr Pepper during your journey that you now have to rush to the bathroom for relief? Too bad the giant cyclops cares not for your grief.

MisterShine:

Dorkmaster Flek:
No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?!

Dark Souls does that too. But the game itself and its developer From Software are pretty clear and honest from the get go that they hate you and everything you stand for. I don't know why Blizz can't do the same if they're going to act like this.

And you can play the game offline so... Yeah. Normally I try not to use extreme language for something like a video game but Blizzard can bite me. I used to find their lack of innovation replaced with sheer polish charming and fun, now they're just trying to piss me off. A sad fate for an old friend.

Yeah but Dark Souls is a complete masoquistic game. From Software basically said " you fuckers are getting soft with these new games. eat shit n die now"

Dorkmaster Flek:
I'm sorry, having to make a separate character to play online is not so much of a fucking inconvenience that I would give up all that other stuff. No pausing? In a single player game? Are you fucking kidding me?! I can't believe a company like Blizzard was the first one to make such a horrendous dick move. This is total bullshit from the ground up, period. The online features like the auction house and cheat prevention should be optional. I should be able to play without an Internet connection, pause the damn thing, and mod the ever living fuck out of my game if it's single player. End of discussion. I can't believe the justification going around for this shit. It makes me furious. Fuck you, Blizzard. You used to be cool.

Yeah, the lack of pausing in single player is a huge negative smear that actually sticks to my thoughts of Diablo 3.

I see Blizzard is really trying their hardest to prevent exploits from Diablo 2, for an example pausing and existing the game in hardcore mode to prevent a death. =)

I don't know what to say about this, I've never been an hardcore player at any game so I would love to see a pause function in Diablo 3, they can just remove pause in hardcore mode and make everyone happy.

You can't pause? WTF, that's just silly. And my internet is shit most of the time, so this game definitely won't be on my "to Buy" list.

You can in a way pause in dark souls and demon souls though....by exiting the game. It saves your current location etc when you do that. Yes...it takes a bit more time then just hitting start to pause the game...but the point is you can take a break if you need to without loosing much if anything.

I'm playing Dark souls to death right now and many times I've had to quickly quick out of the game to do something. I come back, reload and i'm right where I left off.

If d3 does that.....it won't be so bad to not have a pause button. If they keep the system like in D2 where everything resets when you quit out...and you start back at the last waypoint or something.....then that is really going to suck for us married players who are interupted all the time when playing.

If Shamus, an American, complains about lag, then me as an Australian will surely get screwed over. 400ms+ in WoW is atrocious for PvP, Hardcore will be a whole new level for anyone not domestic to the US.

In WoW, it is hilarious seeing a monster hit you from 10m+ away, and I don't doubt they have used the system again, god damnit.

Oh well, I guess I'll see how laggy it is first, as I've just started getting into Fallen Earth, and I am absolutely loathing the pay to win mentality blizzard wants its cut on (without reducing the price of the game either).

Single player online? But then I'd be playing the game wrong and I don't want offend the Blizzard overlords who clearly dictate how I should play my games. No pause function is absolutely rubbish as well.

I was pretty excited for Diablo III a while back but I can easily skip it because there is a vast ocean of games out there and in the making so that I don't need to support these stupid decisions.

I've already contacted Blizzard and told them that, despite my love of Diablo 2 and my previous WoW subscription demonstrating the (mostly) reliable nature of my internet connection, an online requirement for the single player version of Diablo 3 was a deal breaker. I guess that means I don't have to send them another message to mention these three other deal breakers (lack of modding doesn't bother me personally - though I can see the value it may have for others).

Waah Waah. People just need something to QQ about. I have to go on this internet thing to play my game? But I'm scared and overwhelmed! Get with the times grandpa! If you don't like it go make a better game.

wulfy42:

If d3 does that.....it won't be so bad to not have a pause button. If they keep the system like in D2 where everything resets when you quit out...and you start back at the last waypoint or something.....then that is really going to suck for us married players who are interupted all the time when playing.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun reported that no, it does not work like that. You lose all your progress through the dungeons since the last checkpoint, and according to them checkpoints are NOT that frequent.

So yes, it sucks for us partnered people. Plus those of us who just rarely spend any of their gaming time sitting there doing nothing but play a single game.

XinfiniteX:
Waah Waah. People just need something to QQ about. I have to go on this internet thing to play my game? But I'm scared and overwhelmed! Get with the times grandpa! If you don't like it go make a better game.

Just to be clear, that means you give up the right to ever complain about anything unless you ever do anything better.

Sure you wanna say that, mi amigo?

OT: Honestly, I'm not buying the game. Mostly, 'tis because I'm not a PC gamer.

Well, I already wasn't thrilled about this, but these put the final nail in the coffin.

I'll grab Torchlight 2 if I really want a dungeon crawl.

World of Warcraft "pirate" servers? They are called emulation servers and they do not break any international copy write laws

XinfiniteX:

There is online-only play, and then there is an obvious lack of basic features which limit playability, which only a truly untalented developer would make the mistake of omitting.

Accidentally sell the wrong item, or spend a skill point the wrong way? Instead of loading a save you've backed up, too bad, your precious items and skill points are gone forever! That is, unless you want to pay Blizzard $19.95 for a respec. Cha-ching!

Fire? Family emergency? Too bad, Blizzard say that it's not important enough to allow you the goddamn luxury of pausing your game. As if being told when you can and can't save wasn't bad enough, now your only choice is to straight-up log off and lose your progress. Thanks, Blizzard, for making my decisions for me! I don't know how I get through the day without shitting my pants.

Not allowing you to auto-login isn't a huge sin, but at the same time it's a basic oversight in usability, and one which even the most amateurish of interface designers wouldn't make (which means that Blizzard are officially worse at their game than, say, Bethesda, which is so sad it makes me want to jam rusty nails into my eyeballs). More damningly, this was a feature in Diablo II and even the original Diablo if I recall correctly. Blizzard are either not very good developers, or they just don't give a shit. Take your pick.

No mods is a huge concern. Diablo was never exactly driven by mods, but Blizzard are significantly reducing playability, features and so on by forcing you to play by their rules. PC games are about openness, customization and getting the experience you want out of a game - and Blizzard are showing that don't give a fuck how you want to play. Then again, Blizzard are probably one of the most arrogant developers out there; they make damn good games, but they have a superiority complex that can be seen just in the basic way they interact with their fans, the press and so on (try getting an interview or coverage of any sort if your web site isn't in the top 50). Not only does this decision hurt overall gameplay, it also demonstrates that Blizzard really do have very little respect for their users.

In any case, just because these problems don't affect you doesn't affect you doesn't mean that the problems don't exist - of course, if you really do think that, then you're an idiot, and interacting with you is a waste of time, energy and oxygen, so I suppose joke's on me.

No pause? Wow. I was utterly apathetic about this game before. Congratulations Blizzard, you've managed to make me hate a game I was neutral about without me ever playing it. There's a lot of things about the 8 bit days I'm glad are gone, but at least my C64 games acknowledged I have a life and sometimes have to get up from the keyboard on short notice.

Jeez, are they TRYING to only sell this to the guys who consistently log more than 80 hours a week in WoW?

ionveau:
World of Warcraft "pirate" servers? They are called emulation servers and they do not break any international copy write laws

(Pssst... "copyright".)

As for calling them pirate servers.... Might as well. After all, copyright infringement has as much to do with theft on a boat as running your own WoW server does.

It's a shame, really. I was taken in from all the hype surrounding Diablo III, until this bombshell, of course. Oh, well, gotta find another developer to throw my money at.

Blizzard pointed out that some players didn't like it when they started a single player character and then had to start over if they decided they wanted to play online, so this online only idea is being offered as a way to avoid that fate.

It would seem to me that a far better way to deal with this would be two "tiers" of multiplayer- one that allowed outside modifications to the software (more or less "anything goes", don't come crying to Blizzard if you let someone you don't know play with you and they killed you and stole your loot because they are a dirty HaXX0r), one that's server-synced and strictly original-content only.

XinfiniteX:

Kindly take the straw men, the baiting, and the nonsensical arguments elsewhere.

searanox:

XinfiniteX:

so I suppose joke's on me.

I guess I won then. Wait isn't there going to be a buyback feature in case you accidentally sell some thing? Also they aren't charging for respecs... It's just something that you pay for in game, with in game currency, kinda like how you do it in WoW (obviously not how you would do it, because I'm guessing you wouldn't play it as you seem to just have it out for Blizz. It's like they stole you lunch money every day when you were a kid... or was it because they declined your request for an interview?)

CM156:

XinfiniteX:

Just to be clear, that means you give up the right to ever complain about anything unless you ever do anything better.

Sure you wanna say that, mi amigo?

Sure and not just because I usually do.

So let me understand this.

You put a system in where if you exit the game, you lose all your progress.
You make it unable to pause, where the only option is to exit if you want to pause.
You make it so that way if you lose connection for a few seconds, you lose all your progress.

And you want me to play this game? No thanks.

XinfiniteX:

I can't make a better game personally, but I'll go play a better game. Like torchlight or torchlight 2.

I've suffered through a single-player hacknslash before with the console version of Sacred 2. I don't think I want to go through it again.

I'm sorry, though. I feel I need to start voting with my wallet here, and not buy the game. I want to play it. Badly. But I don't want to reinforce them in their (rightly held) belief that people will put up with anything just because it's Blizzard's Hyped Title. I already have that with Valve, and them guys actually build up a lot of customer trust before they started exploiting it.

~Sylv

I liked the previous Diablo games. Never played online and still had a great time. Since I travel a lot, having to be connected to the internet all the time is a big no to me. Since I receive a lot of phone calls, not being able to pause the game is even worse.

Since I'm interested in Diablo lore, I don't see any other way to enjoy the game than to pirate it and crack it so it would play offline, and mod it, so I could pause.

Blizzard not get my money.

Am I the only person in the gaming dimension that is uninterested in Diablo 3?

This just further cements my non-interest. Not even worth a pirate, imo.

Ha ha! No pausing? Need to be on the net all the time?

I'll be sitting this one right out. Who do they think they are?
Wonder if they will start treating the customer with some respect?
And we waited so long for this?

XinfiniteX - lol troll!

Isn't blizzard trying to sell as many copies as possible? I mean why exclude people when they are clearly just going to take as much damn time as they want to make it anyway. Why make it difficult to play your game. Right now it feels like

Blizzard
-"If you do not have stable internet connection you sir are wrong! If you want to play by yourself you are wrong. If you like to get up to piss you are wrong."

Me
-"I like you less now that you are telling me how to be... fascist"

Blizzard you made good games once, but WOW has gotten to your head. COME BACK TO US!!

I feel like Blizzard hates me because my parents chose to live out in the middle of a forest where the only way to connect to the Internet was through slow 3G (700-1500ms ping). Pandora just barely works, and there hasn't been a single online game I've been able to play without terrible lag. Not even Runescape.

Funny how companies don't seem to acknowledge ethics anymore. Either what I'm learning in economics class is crap or the companies themselves are turning into crap.

It's like the visual novel Saya no Uta, almost. To one or two people, Blizzard is fair and sexy and stuff, but to those of us without perfect circumstances, it looks like a globby gore monster.

I wasn't going to buy this already considering I move every couple of months and so I don't have Internet for months at a time but seriously no pausing? that's like game design 101, are they stupid or is it just my imagination?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here