Dark Souls Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3

ccdohl:

ZeroMachine:

It's fair because literally everything in the game has a counter. You can combat EVERYTHING.

Fair =/= easy.

Have you played the game? Literally everything does not have a counter. If you mean, you can move out of the way or block, then you may be right, but that hardly makes it any more fair than any other action role playing game. You can beat any enemy in the game, and you can avoid almost all monster based damage, but that's true for almost every other game I've ever played, and their reviews don't describe them as being super fair.

fair =/= beatable

I know this is kind of an old thread, but it's been posted a year end review thingy...

So I'm wondering if you've changed you opinion on the "fairness" of the game. Because I'd have to agree with you that everything does have a counter. Poison from enemies can be mitigated by different armour and rings and reduced by items gained form certain enemies. Same goes for bleeding damage. Also, different damage modifiers, i.e. fire, lightning, can be mitigated by various equips as well. Also, weapons can be upgraded to have the same bonuses to help defeat certain enemies.

It's all well balanced. Fair is subjective, but I think Dark Souls balances it nicely.

Well, my complaint had less to do with the difficulty of the game than with the description of the game as being fair. In my view, calling the game fair is either inaccurate or redundant to the nature of games.

Describing Dark Souls as fair seems to be a way of saying that it can be beaten with trial and error or persistence, and that is true. But it is also true of almost every other game ever made. I've never seen Gears of War or any other game described as fair, even though that description means the same thing to that game. Fair in this sense, I think, is implied, and it exists in the same way in both games.

As to what you are getting at, yea, I think that the game is well balanced. Proper preparation can make the game a breeze. A little knowledge and some decent reaction speed make the game's challenges easy to overcome. To be honest, I'm only on my first NG+, but I have breezed through most of it. I think that it may be a bit too easy, especially when it comes to enemies that can be backstabbed.

My problem with Dark Souls is that it's an archaic slog of exploded mechanics. I can't remember the last time I did a grind, and here's freaking Dark Souls reminding me what it's like to kill the same mooks (not just the same mooks in different places, the same exact mooks) over and over again. It seems like many of the "hardcore" equate challenge, and difficulty with rote memorization. I love the atmosphere and the realistic combat of the game, I wish the bosses and boss-likes didn't have cheap attacks or spams (and yeah some of them do). I know more about the first thirty minutes of Demon Souls than I do the whole game. I could literally do it in my sleep. That's freakin' boring to me. The only reason I keep playing is so that I hope to find some new area to explore, but then I'm quickly relegated to grinding souls and humanity if I want to get anywhere. Maybe multiplayer adds more, but I can't support Live and I have to rate it on the single-player experience alone.

It straddles the line between good and mediocre. This isn't just me whining about how it's too hard, remember, I mainly take gripes with old mechanics that waste my freaking time. Playing Dark Souls is the closest someone will ever get to experiencing Hell. No, I don't mean it's bad, I mean the same thing over and over and over and over and over again. I often found myself in purgatorial loops, and that's a lot more dispiriting than any death Dark Souls provided (except for some truly worthy rage quit cheap-ass bosses).

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here