No Right Answer: Mulan vs Jasmine

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mulan vs Jasmine

And now a little something for the ladies. That's right, much like Mel Gibson but without the racism, we know what women want and care about. Today's modern independent woman wants to raise her kids with independent role models. Does that mean Mulan, or Jasmine is popped in the DVD player?

Watch Video

aladin is for all intensive purposes a prince. he did eventually marry the princess. this does infact make him a prince.

My favourite Disney Princess has to be Belle. She is, as far as I know, the only literate Disney Princess. No other princess has been shown to be able to read.

Ok, this may have changed with Tangled, not really sure. All I know is that Belle is the most independant of them all, not to mention the smartest.

Oh thank god. When I saw the video title I thought you'd be debating who was the hottest disney princess or something. This is much more respectable. Sorry for assuming the worst. :P

Ha I can't stop laughing at the quote of the week.
OT- Honestly I thought you were borh right (while I wanted Mulan to win but Kyla did raise some point points).

As someone who works at a Disney Park, we've had this discussion before, I have to agree with Kyle, Mulan is Not a Princess. She's Military, and therefore kicks ass. I am Also slightly disapoint they did not use Rapunzel, she's a princess (though in the orginal fairy tale she's a bakers kid) and she kicks ass, by beating everyone senseless with a frying pan.

p.s. we have a few princes. Prince Philip killed a dragon in Sleeping Beauty, but besides him and a couple others. usally prince's don't have names.

If she kicks all of the ass, shouldnt it be 100%?

Mulan went against her culture. She fought in the military. Go ahead, tell me the other woman that fought in the military. and she could have been killed for it. All jasmines father had to do was wave his hand, throw his weight in and say get the hell away from my daughter and all would be forgiven.

So yeah, I think Mulan wins. She went and did something that custom not only forbade, but did so to get her honor back rather than just let someone marry her and do it that way, did so to save her father from serving, and (just looking outside the constraints of time) showed probably the most advancement for her entire gender in the film through her actions more so than any other disney princess. All in a country that would (and should have) killed her.

JaredXE:
My favourite Disney Princess has to be Belle. She is, as far as I know, the only literate Disney Princess. No other princess has been shown to be able to read.

Ok, this may have changed with Tangled, not really sure. All I know is that Belle is the most independant of them all, not to mention the smartest.

Id have to assume if Mulan can write, she can read. otherwise that scene when her father finds note takes a completely different direction.

Besides, most all of them (with the exception of maybe ariel) seem to come from educated families and areas. belle was just shown reading cause that was essential to her character as a stark contrast fromt he women who love Gastave being total airheads. EDIT: and I only say with the exception of ariel because i think it would be hard to write and read books under water. And if memory serves, they didnt engrave stone tablets.

And while it may not count, Im gonna throw in Jane too. She married Tarzan, king of the apes, so she's more of a queen than a princess. ALTHOUGH, tarzan's mother could could be the ruler of her group of gorillas, making tarzan prince.

EDIT2:

I just noticed this, but they spelled Aladdin wrong in the tags. They spelled it "aladin" with one D. theres two.

I think this is the first episode I've enjoyed (though I've only watched one other). When it comes to the nerdy stuff I was kind of hoping for a show that would be like Big Picture but a debate and the show itself has a more relaxed tone than that. However for this episode I enjoyed that tone and I'll be giving this show a look next week.

Let's get down to business!

Mulan wins.

Wanna know why?

Because she had a training montage...

Mulan was the first to get the arrow.

The arrow symbolises awesomeness.

Mulan is awesome.

Awesome...

If you are looking for awesome female characters in cartoons, you are better served watching Miyazaki films, I reckon.

MatsVS:
If you are looking for awesome female characters in cartoons, you are better served watching Miyazaki films, I reckon.

That is because Miyazaki is an outright feminist and an apologist for sexism.

OT. I would have chosen Nala from the Lion King. She's technically a princess if you count that the only male lion who could breed was Mufasa. Which makes you wonder how she feels being married to Simba, her half brother.

You know, I went into this thinking Mulan without question, but Kyle's last argument actually persuaded me. Well done.

The last point was incorrect. Mulan ALSO broke societies rules, far more than Jasmine. If Mulan was caught, she would be executed, she almost was in fact. Jasmine, if she's caught . . goes back to the palace to live a life of luxury.

Jasmine's kill count: 0
Mulan's kill count: A FUCKING ARMY

Jasmine's starting point: a princess loved by all who has to marry a prince
Jasmine's ending point: a princess loved by all who still marries a prince (sorta).

Mulan's beginning: Unknown, marginalized, and unable to lift a hand to help anyone outside her small role.
Mulan's ending: She killed A FUCKING ARMY and won the respect of the most populous country in the world.

Come on, this isn't "no right answer" this is "no contest".

Pocahontas?

Well, what a nice coincidence. This lastt saturday, I had a mini-marathon of animated Disney movies from the 90's/early 2000's.
Considering that Mulan won an entire war almost single-handedly (also, her movie is named after herself), I have to give her the win, although she gets a few points off for doing it all while basically sticking to the system set upon by the male dominant society (i.e. she had to pretend she was a man). Although to be fair, it was the only way she could do it.
Also, while Shan Yu may be a more menacing villain, I think Jafaar is much more iconic, precisely because he's not just evil, but funny. Also, Aladdin was simply much more popular.
On a somewhat unrelated topic, I have to say that Eddie Murphy does a better job as a talking animal sidekick in that movie than in Shrek, mostly because it was only in the first movie where Donkey seemed to have an emotional range beyond "obnoxious wise-cracking sidekick".

FInlly, to close this off,
HOORAY FOR SHENANIGANS!!

Boo, Mulan should've totally won. Breaking the law to join the army, becoming one of the best soldiers of said army, defeating the mongols and standing up to both her family and basically the goverment means victory.

That last shaningans was certainly ominous. Looking forward to it.

And Mulan should have totally won that. I blame her champion in this piece.

Arent both of them like 15?
Count me out for both of them

Tho if I had to choose I'd say Mulan.

She was the hero in the film after all.

Mulan actually managed to convince a bunch of burly soldiers into crossdressing for the greater good. You can't find a stronger woman than that.

Mulan can kick Jasmine's ass.

JaredXE:

wrong. mulan can read, it was just in chinese go watch it again at the part where shes writing on her arm lol

Seriously, I'm starting to wonder how many of you remember the movie of Mulan. She used a FAN to disarm a trained killer who had a sword. You can't get anymore awesome than that.

Mulan isn't a princess but Mulan was way more independent. She was bosses everyone around, even the general of an army. Jasmine just ran away and immediately ended up dependent on a guy again

Y isn't Ariel in this? Isn't she the very definition of what we consider independent?

She leaves her father to be with a man that can't breathe in water! She disobeyed the KING OF THE SEA!

Grrr I call Shenanigans on this episode :tf:

If you go past the 1st movie, it's not even a contest. Mulan in Mulan 2 is a co-dependent train wreck, where the several Aladdin movies and tv shows, Jasmine is always kick ass. She even becomes a Naga ;).

Yes Mulan is not a princess however Really Jasmin? She was outside of the castle for like 10minutes and was about to get her hand chopped off for stealing? Yeah she would make it on her own. Kicking ass doesn't mean being independent. Put both of them in a city away from there comfort zone with a little bit of cash Mulan would be able to survive. Jasmin? Well look at it this way. She was raised being served for every second of her life? Do you really think she would know the first thing of being able to take care of herself? Yeah... No.

Er. Why is this even a contest? Mulan can kick any 'princess' ass any day of the week.

Does anyone else think Dan did a really good job with the editing this week? I don't know why, but I couldn't stop noticing all the little things he threw in there.

Back on topic, I say Mulan wins. She used a firework to make an avalanche. And disarmed a sworded assailant with a fan. And had a training montage! You just can't beat a good old training montage.

Jasmine clearly loses. The moment Jasmine had to have Aladdin save her butt in the beginning of the movie she was not independent. She was just the pissed off variant of the ingenue.

Mulan on the other hand can and does kill people. The argument that Mulan wasn't a princess is pointless: either disqualify her and pick another Disney princess or agree that she's a better role model than Jasmine.

No, Mulan totally wins because I remember one of the things Jasmine yells all the time was 'ALADDIIIIIIIIN!', and what did Mulan yell? 'HEYAAAAAH!'

Plus, Mulan had a dragon, A DRAGON, so in that regard, she should've won.

either discount Mulan from the beggining and pick someone who is an actual princess, or stop going around the issue kyle.

jasmine number of kills: 0;
mulan: fucking army;

jasmine punishment for defiance: return to the castle to be pandered again;
mulan's: death;

jasmines ultimate defiance to her society: marry a non prince.
mulan: join the army and have every single person, in a nation centered around man where women are objects, bow to her, a woman of no royal blood or significance.

No, that's independence from a nutshell.

Kyle did very well this week. TOO BAD YOU CHOSE A SHIT CHARACTER BLARGH

Also Chris is such a sore loser, hilarious XD

A topic for a future episode: Who would win a fight between the mongol army and a giant magical snake?

twaddle:
aladin is for all intensive purposes a prince. he did eventually marry the princess. this does infact make him a prince.

All intents and purposes. Intensive purposes is just nonsensical. (One of my pet peeves).

You're right though, Aladdin is a prince by the end.

DTWolfwood:
Y isn't Ariel in this? Isn't she the very definition of what we consider independent?

She leaves her father to be with a man that can't breathe in water! She disobeyed the KING OF THE SEA!
:

fun fact: in the real story Ariel is cursed because she can't get with the prince

emeraldrafael:
If she kicks all of the ass, shouldnt it be 100%?

And while it may not count, Im gonna throw in Jane too. She married Tarzan, king of the apes, so she's more of a queen than a princess. ALTHOUGH, tarzan's mother could could be the ruler of her group of gorillas, making tarzan prince.

jane wasn't a princess because tarzan wasn't king of the jungle. He was just the leader of a group of gorillas. King was an unofficial titles when it came to the disney movies and series and in the movies it's never even mentioned of him being a king at all. but disney is fickle about that sort of thing because we all know mulan isn't a princess, just a soldier or if u want to get technical she is a high ranking soldier by series end....why the hell was mulan never a tv series anyways. if they can do aladin and tarzan and that god aweful emperors new groove then they should have done mulan

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here