Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Signs of War

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Signs of War

Make a difference long ago in a galaxy far far away.

Watch Video

That was pretty damn awesome.
If not for the 15 bucks a month I would be getting it day one.

I played in a section of the beta, and I didn't honestly have that much fun. But these trailers can still get me pretty excited.

On a side note: Does anyone notice a theme with this kind of stuff? I mean, it's set almost 4000 years before a new hope. But you have the exact same planets mentioned time and time again the literature having to do with the Clone Wars.... There is a huge source of planets to use within the Star Wars Universe, but we are to sit here and are fed a steady diet of the same old shit. In real life, things change. Empires rise and fall, different political systems take over, people change. In Star Wars, the empire is ALWAYS a force of evil lead by a Sith Lord. The Republic is ALWAYS good guys consisting of Smugglers and some Jedi......... I love Star Wars, but I'm almost done. There are 75 main novels, plus shit loads of other short stories, shows, movies, comics, etc. And we are treated to the same settings, political issues, characters (made, then made again with a few little changes and different name), etc., again and again. How much will people eat up.

/rant

Haha, sorry, had to get that out there.

Haven't been impressed by what I've seen of the gameplay so far, but this trailer gives me a lot of hope. Definitely going to give it a try.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know who that is doing the narration?

Sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

Zhukov:

That's Jennifer Hale: Bastila from KotOR, female Shepard from Mass Effect and many others...

Still looks like ass.

Not that it stopped me from pre-ordering it.

Whispering Cynic:

Zhukov:

That's Jennifer Hale: Bastila from KotOR, female Shepard from Mass Effect and many others...

Oh, so it is. Well, that explains the familiarity.

She seems to be damn near everywhere.

awesome trailer.

So, its set like 2000 years or something in the past... and it sounds like the plot is pretty much the plot from the first 3 starwars movies but taking place a few years before the events of a new hope when the rebellion was just getting started... way to think outside the box bioware.

Worgen:
So, its set like 2000 years or something in the past... and it sounds like the plot is pretty much the plot from the first 3 starwars movies but taking place a few years before the events of a new hope when the rebellion was just getting started... way to think outside the box bioware.

Yeah I guess they have to, they have to attract a biiiiig amount of people to start playing the game. And these planets and stories are familiar to people.

It sucks, but I'm sure once the game gets going there'll more than enough unique stuff to explore.

Nimcha:

Worgen:

Yeah I guess they have to, they have to attract a biiiiig amount of people to start playing the game. And these planets and stories are familiar to people.

It sucks, but I'm sure once the game gets going there'll more than enough unique stuff to explore.

Ehh, if I wasn't kind of burned out on starwars then I would give it a shot but after the new starwars movies I just find it hard to care. Really the next mmo that I'm really looking forward to sinking time into is Guildwars 2.

Let's be honest if you get a defend "Defend Aldaaran mission" you're going to be thinking "its just going to blow up anyway."

Too many trailers, too little gameplay.. two months until launch and there's still NDA on the beta. Paranoid about people seeing the game and thinking it's shit, BioWare?

Baresark:
I played in a section of the beta, and I didn't honestly have that much fun. But these trailers can still get me pretty excited.

On a side note: Does anyone notice a theme with this kind of stuff? I mean, it's set almost 4000 years before a new hope. But you have the exact same planets mentioned time and time again the literature having to do with the Clone Wars.... There is a huge source of planets to use within the Star Wars Universe, but we are to sit here and are fed a steady diet of the same old shit. In real life, things change. Empires rise and fall, different political systems take over, people change. In Star Wars, the empire is ALWAYS a force of evil lead by a Sith Lord. The Republic is ALWAYS good guys consisting of Smugglers and some Jedi......... I love Star Wars, but I'm almost done. There are 75 main novels, plus shit loads of other short stories, shows, movies, comics, etc. And we are treated to the same settings, political issues, characters (made, then made again with a few little changes and different name), etc., again and again. How much will people eat up.

/rant

Haha, sorry, had to get that out there.

I tend to agree that they have made the game a bit too much like WoW, but it's fairly solid overall. I played in Beta up until like Level 11 as a Smuggler, I have yet to receive the promised re-invite for the "next phase of beta" however to see the final build (even if I could talk about it).

As far as Star Wars goes you have to understand that the universe is supposed to be stagnant for a reason. Most people don't understand exactly what is going on with it, having sort of created their own versions of it in their head without understanding it. To some extent I think people blame Star Wars unfairly, when it's what it was always supposed to be.

See, Star Wars is a universe of pre-destination. The Force is not so much an energy field that people tap into through their will, but a living metaphysical entity, kind of like God, that pulls the strings of the universe. Star Wars is guided between cycles with good and evil both getting turns to rule the universe in between periods of balance. This is why there are prophecies that come true, like the whole thing with Anakin "bringing balance to the force" which was misunderstood, basically it was time for an era of good to end, and he was being used as The Force's pawn to bring it down. The thing is though that before the universe goes into full "evil mode" it's supposed to go through a period where the two forces are balanced, which is where Star Wars left off. See, this is why Vader actually killed The Emperor, it was pre-destnied, it wasn't time for an "evil empire" yet. He killed the good guys, killed the bad guy, and left things with one really strong force user who wasn't property trained (Luke) who could go either way.

The thing in Star Wars is that people BELIEVE they have free will though, and The Force works through manipulation to force people to do what it wants in terms of the big picture. That is why Anakin was such an emo wreck, he wanted to be a good guy, but the universe pretty much decided "you WILL bring down the Jedi" so every time he had his ducks in a row, the universe would cause something to happen... like him finding his mother being held by sand people, which caused him to start channeling some serious Dark Side.

This is also incidently why the force goes "cloudy" at specific points, and powers wax and wane, it's all based on what it wants. Jedi and Sith don't win based on personal skill or badassitude, but due to predestination, with their powers basically working to the degree the univerese wants. Of course the manipulations can be complicated, and it isn't always one sided, as enabling a good guy to win/survive during an coming era of evil (or vice versa) can set things up for it's overall plans down the road, after all The Force is trying to maintain the illusion of free will for whatever reason.

The whole Mitochloria thing is simply what The Force works through, think of it cooresponding to points of articulation on a puppet. Someone The Force wants to work through a lot... like Anakin, has a lot of points, less important guys have less of this for it to work through. It has a physical prescence because again, The Force is trying to maintain an illusion.

Generally speaking only one person in the canon or quasi-canon has figured this out, and that's Kreia from "Knights Of The Old Republic 2" which was ghost written by Geore Lucas (based on his notes and input, etc...). This kind of spells it out rather unsubtly, but people tend to forget about it. In that game Kreia was trying to kill The Force in order to restore free will. For her the first step was to wipe out all the Force users, but due to the problems with finishing the game details like how she planned to destroy a metaphysical entity that pretty much controls everything were glossed over due to the way she was defeated. Of course the simple fact that she started spouting prophecy in her final moments itself raises the question as to whether she herself was a giant tool and never had a chance of doing what she set out to do. After all her actions directly lead to the contact between The Republic and Sith Empire, which we know ends with the destruction of The Empire and the end of their era of evil.

At any rate, the reason why Star Wars deals with the same basic characters and situations in differant forms, and technology stays stagnant, and so on, is because of this basic truth. Tech doesn't really advance beccause the universe is periodically wiped out due to massive warfare with new empires (of good or evil) erasing the signs of their predecessors, sort of like how the Jedi committed Genocide on the Sith and wiped out all the records to the point where come the movies nobody REALLY knew what a Sith was anymore for all intents and purposes. Once in a while you see an ancient super weapon that is a step or two ahead of what people generally have... left over from a previous era (and probably preserved by The Force for later use in manipulation) but by and large you pretty much stick with the same general level of cruisers/space fighters/guns/etc... in slightly differant looking packages.

From the perspective of the people who live obliviously in this universe some cool stories can be told, but the idea does have it's problems. Likewise this is also why so much of the EU becomes garbage is that the guys writing it start playing around in introducing things to the universe that don't belong, leading to retcons later on and so on. A lot of fairly "common sense" stuff doesn't really happen because we have a giant Metaphysical entity sitting there preventing it from happening.

I'm not saying that your wrong, even if I'm not totally burned out with it yet, I just think it's more a matter of the whole universe having been fairly limited to begin with.

At any rate, what you might find interesting, especially if your initial reaction is to argue with me about how I'm wrong, is to re-experience a lot of the core works with what I say in mind. You'll find a lot of things suddenly "click" that didn't quite make sense before. Oddly enough this includes Emo-Anakin, nothing can undo the horrible writing, but you can understand the character a bit better when you get past the whole "Ultimate Bad Arse Vader" and "Final Redemption" ideas and start to think of him as a tool being manipulated by the universe. Everything, from The Emperor's lies, to his plotting against the emperor, to the way he developed through "Clone Wars" and the movies and his resistance to his fate without really understanding it kind of sells the character a bit better. He's not the "Vader" a lot of people created in their minds, but a pretty solid character.

Really Battlestar Galactica's "This has all happened before, it will happen again" schtick fits in perfectly with Star Wars. If anything think of Anakin as Gaius Baltar from the remake (although logically you could say Baltar is more like him given the age of Star Wars) except with Anakin being a generally good, and well intentioned person, as opposed to a self-serving douchebag, at his core, making him a bit more tragic. This includes the "WTF" reveals with the trippy space angels and religious revelations... albiet Star Wars never had any kind of a reveal like that except KoToR2 to some extent.

Thanks for reading for those who made it this far. :)

Therumancer:

Baresark:
snip

BIG snip

A lot of what you say actually makes perfect sense. It would explain why there is no technological advancements ever. I also feel this comes from the angle that George Lucas controls everything. He has managed to keep the universe stagnant, and anything he doesn't agree with becomes EU. Unfortunately, it's why we will never see a conclusion to the fantastically written Republic/Imperial Commando books by Karen Traviss. It also explains why characters such as Anakin (if for no other reason than you bringing him up) get a vision of the future that is nigh impossible to avoid. It could be argued his will to overcome the vision lead up to it's fruition, but what Jedi in the past hasn't seen the fulfillment of their vision. The easy answer is that there is literally no free will in the Star Wars Universe. Real people can reflect upon what they do, when a Star Wars character reflects, something always happens to either stop their self reflection or drives them further along their obviously destructive path. Nice catch. I'll look at Star Wars with new eyes from now on.

Vakz:
Too many trailers, too little gameplay.. two months until launch and there's still NDA on the beta. Paranoid about people seeing the game and thinking it's shit, BioWare?

the beta was a closed beta and it's been going on for a while (otherwise they wouldn't have announced the release date for 12-20-11). Also, there are quite a few dev diaries that show gameplay as well as videos on youtube showing gameplay in the beta. How about doing some research before you start criticizing?

kael013:
the beta was a closed beta and it's been going on for a while (otherwise they wouldn't have announced the release date for 12-20-11). Also, there are quite a few dev diaries that show gameplay as well as videos on youtube showing gameplay in the beta. How about doing some research before you start criticizing?

I know very well about the closed beta. Dev diaries is not the same as letting people show actual game footage on youtube and talk about it. The Devs are always biased to show the game's best side. As I haven't gotten a beta invite, nor can I watch any actual gameplay, I can choose to decide to ; 1: Blind the game blindly. 2: Buy the game based on biased videos. 3: Sit and wait until several days past release. My friends agree with me, and none of them are planning to buy the game until they know what they're getting, meaning my chances to just watch them play before I buy are pretty slim.

Do you really not think it's strange that they still not allow people to show videos of the beta? All I have managed to hear about the game so far is that it has decent storytelling, but everything else is just pretty generic. Not being allowed to see the actual game is hardly going to change my mind.

Vakz:

kael013:

I know very well about the closed beta. Dev diaries is not the same as letting people show actual game footage on youtube and talk about it. The Devs are always biased to show the game's best side. As I haven't gotten a beta invite, nor can I watch any actual gameplay, I can choose to decide to ; 1: Blind the game blindly. 2: Buy the game based on biased videos. 3: Sit and wait until several days past release. My friends agree with me, and none of them are planning to buy the game until they know what they're getting, meaning my chances to just watch them play before I buy are pretty slim.

Do you really not think it's strange that they still not allow people to show videos of the beta? All I have managed to hear about the game so far is that it has decent storytelling, but everything else is just pretty generic. Not being allowed to see the actual game is hardly going to change my mind.

There are several unedited beta you tube and other source videos. About 3 weeks there was a 15 minute unedited pvp video that showcased almost every class.

Some parts of this trailer really impressed me. Other parts were a little underwhelming, mostly in terms of animation. I know the combat animation is pretty solid, but some of the cutscenes have those typical BioWare corners cut. I'm used to it after their other games, but I think they need to push themselves a little more. I love BioWare games, but usually not because of the animation.

Still though, super-excited about this game. I have a CE pre-order and I'm going to be rocking the Trooper when the time comes. I'll probably go Sniper as my alt, since a lot of people I know plan to go Empire. Sniper felt really good at E3, loved the gadgets and damage output.

Vakz:

The thing about the NDA is that it might as well not exist. There are entire sites devoted to posting beta footage, screenshots and information. There really aren't any shocking revelations about the game being hidden by the NDA.

Zhukov:

Whispering Cynic:

Zhukov:

Oh, so it is. Well, that explains the familiarity.

She seems to be damn near everywhere.

It seems like she is the Female Nolan North.

Still love both the actors!

Anyways, pre-ordered CE. I can't wait for my birthday! (Dec 20th FTW)

Well crafted Trailer this is.

Too bad the game is basically a voiced over wow clone with lightsabers and blasters instead swords and fireballs.

Sucks that i've so completely lost interest in cool-down skill based MMOs :(

Vakz:

Check TB's hands on coverage of it at Gamescom, several videos, several hours of gameplay footage. That enough for ya?:P

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here