Zero Punctuation: Rage

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Rage

This week, Zero Punctuation gives some fashion advice for the post-apocalypse.

Watch Video

You mentioned Borderlands awful PC problems, but Rage's were worse to the tune of, it wasn't even really playable upon release. Because id had been using mystical non-existent drivers during testing.

The best of ideas, obviously.

You're a cynic.

Beyond that, very nice rant as always. I wasn't too fond of this game, all my friends were.
God knows why, they don't really answer me. Seemingly it's just "fun".

Im still in half a mind to buy this. Hell i loved Borderlands and Fallout.. but i think Rage may just be its bastard child..

Yet another winner. My Wednesday is now complete.

I've seen videos for RAGE. I agree, the sky is gorgeous and the animations are very smooth (if a little exagerrated at times), but if he says that it's not long for a game that has three discs, I might not get it.

Also, it's nice that this apocalypse came about through an asteroid strike, instead of (another) nuclear war.

This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?

I kept hearing some people talk about Rage, but I could never find out why I should've been excited about it. The only things that consistently came up were "there are really fancy animations" and "it is developed by John Carmack".

Now I have seen some gameplay videos of it and I still don't know why I should be excited about it.

You mean id Software's latest title is nothing but a glorified tech demo? Shit. Well, I certainly wasn't expecting such a radical departure from their established business model...

The Point with the CD/DvD-Count is nails on. Nice phrasing for a problem I noticed before but could not into words.

I attribute it to the overall mentality of the industry of wanting to sell more games at a 60$-Tag, instead of selling one game that lasts you three years. (Morrowind)

You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.

Alright, apparently I hallucinated reading that id was going to/did make the engine for Skyrim you can stop quoting me now.

As I said in response to his article about shooters, Yahtzee really knows what he's talking about when it comes to the genre (although I did love Quake 3).

A game that's just a glorified tech demo wrapped around a convoluted and nonsensical plot?

Yeah... It's an Id Game.

So what can brown do for you?
Apparently just provide a distraction

i have rage for the xbox 360 and i never even used the 3 disc the story just ended after you get to the top of the authority tower during the 2 disc

I love how Yahtzee bashes this game for not having centralized focus but then thinks that all street racing games are pointless because Grand Theft Auto did it and other things.

I kid of course. Good video as usual.

Oh well, there was me hoping he'd like this one.

I am a cow

Moo

Great review, I agree that the effort on visuals means that they put less time in making the game long and really compelling even though it has three discs.

Anyways, I wonder how the hell is Yahtzee going to review what comes from here to the end of December. Just in October releases, there's still Spidermand Edge of Time, Dark Souls, Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, X-men Destiny, Forza 4, and Ace Combat Assault Horizon. And that's without counting the other, smaller ones, like Kinect titles he most certainly won't play.

November won't get any better, with Skyrim, Sonic Generations, Serious Sam 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Modern Warfare 3, Rayman Origins, Lord of the Rings War in the North, etc, etc. I wonder if he'll start reviewing two games at once, if he'll review the remaining ones next year, or if he'll just ignore more than half of the releases.

What's wrong with quake 3?

I have had fun with it, its very pretty, I can build companions to follow me around and gun things down if I dont want to be bothered to shoot at mutants.

I swear, it is one of the few games that appeal to those like me who enjoy pet classes or building things in the game.

fanklok:
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.

Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...

To be fair, Final Fantasy VII, like many RPG's in general, had tons of turn-based random encounters that stopped you every thirty fucking seconds so you could tap the same attack button until everything died. At least that's the impression I got of it after playing for two hours.

I do have RAGE but I'm not playing it until tomorrow, when fall break starts and I can really admire the great graphics, great animation, and shooting stuff. Because my criteria for a good shooter amounts to "it controls well, runs well, and the guns look and sound cool".

I came expecting a Smashing Pumpkins reference. I was not disappointed.

The textures and models they are using now are taking a lot more space than the ones that were used during the making of FF7. If this was made during the FF7 era, it would be a single DVD, but this is not the case.

I remember when everyone was saying that rage looked like fallout 3 and Borderlands hooked up for an awkward night and had a love child, but now we can validate that statement.

He does have a point though, Most shooters look at them selves and see Wizbangshooty fun, I look at most (MOST) shooters now and I see people dancing around a fire pit, speaking some strange chant, hoping to channel the lightning bolt that was the last top shooters (Doom, Halo (regrettably), MW(sickeningly) and by loose definition Fallout) instead of actually looking at what they have that other game types don't, you know, pick up and play, the little need for 5 different items that all do the same damn thing but in slightly diffrent ways (RPGs I look at you), and the masses that see a shooter and say "Hmmm it looks good, might as well try" most likely buying it. They have the ability to you know, TELL A STORY, but then again, that's a whole can of worms that I kinda feel the technology isn't up to the task to do (Shooters anyway, well most of them) since if you like the other Charactors storywise they better be worth having around gameplay wise, other wise you'll probably cap them your self if they die and its instant game over.

TL;DR
Shooters have alot in their favor right now, but it feels like anyone trying to tell a story is stuck fighting against Halo Clone #32, or Doom Resurrection attempt #1051, so story goes out the window. Along with fun, and all his friends. (And don't tell me that Halo has a story, I played all three of them and all I got was , Alien bad, you good).

Urh:

fanklok:

Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...

You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.

JohnReaper:
(And don't tell me that Halo has a story, I played all three of them and all I got was , Alien bad, you good).

Then you really, really need to pay closer attention (though those clones, on the other hand, can go get fucked by a solid rod of originality, since they clearly need it). And also, stop trying to impress Yahtzee by agreeing with every opinion he holds, it won't work (he doesn't read comments).

OT: You know what the annoying thing about Facebook comments is? I'll post what I think on there, come here, see a post worth responding to and then be left with nothing to say in the OT section that hasn't already been said. So move along, nothing to see here.

You know? If I wanted a good looking shooter that plays well and has really good animations, plus a shitty story, I'd go back and play some more Killzone 3. At least I don't have to swap disks with that game and it still looks better than Rage.

I'm really not in the market for a new FPS anytime soon as I have Gears 3 and the upcoming Halo Anniversary to tide me over for the next year or so. But, the review pretty much confirmed what I already suspected about Rage. meh.

Also, WHY do I have to watch an unskippable ad for some cruddy "girl dying from cancer" film before the video, and WHY do I have to watch the video within a full two-inch thick border of adverts? Does the escapist insist on doing this for all video content on the site, or just the successful stuff, i.e. Zero Punctuation?

At this rate, you'll soon have to fill in a compulsory commercial survey before each ZP, and while you watch you get popunders for Live Jasmin.... :/

The premise of the game sounded oddly like Half Life 2. The people of the world are waiting for a hero (Gordon Freeman) to free them from an oppressive technocratic authority (The combine)

VulakAerr:

You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.

Whereas you are wrong. Skyrim is on brand new in-house tech, not the butchered and patched together cyborg remains of whatever the hell it was Bethesda did to the rather fine Gamebryo engine.

About fucking time, Ben.

I've been looking at this Fallout3 clone for a while and you bring up some good points that I was looking at. If all you have to complain about is the shitty plot and that the minigames are unfocused, it can't really be that bad. The story seems like it's trying to make you think you have the choice whether to be the grand hero or not, unlike in Fallout3 where it's forced upon you like an American on a baconator.

And thus we've hit one the majour problem with current generation games.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)