Zero Punctuation: Rage

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

It's kind of like Resistance 3's argument. It's a graphical upgrade on a good game rather than a new exciting game that merely borrowed some references from the previous good game, only Rage is based on Fallout 3 while Resistance is Half-Life.

Ah well. Not like i was planning to invest in anything this shooter season. I've been planning to check out Saint's Row: The Third and already bought Batman: Arkham City, but yeah. No way in fucking hell am i blowing money on anything published by Bethesda until i get it in golden flaming writing that they didn't publish it prematurely again.

Frostbite3789:
You mentioned Borderlands awful PC problems, but Rage's were worse to the tune of, it wasn't even really playable upon release. Because id had been using mystical non-existent drivers during testing.

The best of ideas, obviously.

I can see no flaw in their plan.

Anyway, don't care much about Rage, but it was an entertaining episode, if for no other reason than the commentary on our rather bulemic "Triple A" titles.

I actually remember the time when games were going to start using DVD as a medium for consoles and people were like, "wow! With what they can do on CD, imagine what they can do on DVD!"

Final Fantasy VII was one of the major sources of that hope, too.

Ah, nothing like good old cynical bashing of a game to liven up my day. Had it a better PC reception, I might have bought the game, but I'm glad I still have my dollar 60.

Traun:
The textures and models they are using now are taking a lot more space than the ones that were used during the making of FF7. If this was made during the FF7 era, it would be a single DVD, but this is not the case.

Don't you think he knows that? The point he was making is that fixating so much on graphics technology has forced developers to skip on actual substantial content, which is a very bad thing.

I thoroughly enjoyed Rage but I think I was looking more forward to hearing Yahtzee shit all over it, glad I was not disappointed. Now...onto Dark Souls next week...

JayDeth:
This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?

What hype? All every single gaming site ever talked about for weeks up until release day was Dark Souls, which explains why tons of people didn't know anything about the game and just called it Borederlands 1.5 because of the wasteland setting + the buggies. Then when they bought it, and realized it wasn't Fallout or Borderlands they went crying to the forums.

Predictable line about Fallout, shame it had to be precisely Fallout 3. Especially since only Fallout 1 has the protagonist actually be from said Vault rather than just being let into it or a descendant of The Vault Dweller.

lol some very very good points here

all in all...I do wanna try Rage. I did enjoy Borderlands for a while, tho the story and action got boring even WITH co-op :/ at least Rage is pretty?

I was never really intent to pick up Rage anyways. I've got nothing against Id and they do make some decent games but there's an antiquated feel to them, like they never really got over Doom and Quake. Sure those games were good when they were around, but there's a lot more available to pick from these days and if I really needed to I'd just re-install my copy of Painkiller or Half-Life 2.

I guess my point is that despite the polish, at its core games like Rage still feel like Doom 3 or Quake 4, which feel like Doom and Quake, which are very dated games. And that is a problem, because if I wanted to play a game that feels like a classic, I'll play the classic. Maybe in a century when the bombs go off and I've become a radioactive lich forced to feed on the souls of passerby's, having a game like Rage will help me recall those nostalgic days of yore when I enjoyed games like Doom. And still had skin. But for now we can just play Doom, and that makes Rage redundant.

And I don't want to play Doom anyways.

Yahtzee has so eloquently echoed a feeling I've had since FF13: Programmers are spending all their time and money to make the game as shiny and bloom spackled as possible to enchant the graphics tards/360 owners at the expense of creating a game with any staying power or replay-ability.

wow spoilers..... thanks yahtzee

Ya know I thought to myself if the vehicles sections were fleshed out more perhaps with more open spaces. Lots visually interesting environments to run through. Some creatures a to gun down. A giant creature to gun down. And finally. A wide array of vehicles with interesting advantages like a car that can jump or a tank your friend can jump into and ride shotgun in.

All right. Full disclosure I would have liked rage's car section if it included some of the cool stuff you could do in Jak 3.

funny how "game similar to another" in today's industry basically means "complete ripoff"

Spoilers were to be expected.The game is out for almost 2 weeks so there's that.

OT: Plenty of spot on remarks on this game Yahtzee which I agree with.

The technical problems with some of the games on the PC version was really awful,expecially the texture pop-in which was horrendous,trying to compensate for 60fps smooth gameplay.

What I'd like to know is why this game was titled "RAGE". All the NPCs seemed fairly cool and level-headed. There was no rage on the part of the protagonist, either. Why did they call this game "RAGE"?

I was really disappointed by this game. I thought it would be one of the best games this year but it turned out to be the opposite.

VulakAerr:

Urh:

fanklok:
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.

Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...

You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.

Pffft thank fuck for that even after two weeks rage is a horrible unplayable buggy piece of shit. The oblivion engine may be buggy but at least its playable

Did you just say that FFVII is a "bad example" of a long gaming experience, Yahtzee!?

C'mon, man, I knew that you were an elitist sod with a chip on his shoulder about damn near EVERYTHING, but only an idiot would say that Final Fantasy VII was any sort of bad.

Even the FF6 elitist fucks I've tangled with have admitted that FF7 was a groundbreaking masterpiece, they just said that it's incredibly overrated whereas FF6, the the Final Fantasy series in general, was only moderately popular in the States prior to 7's advent.

Say what you will about FF7 being a "bad example", Yahtzee. It's still damn near my favorite game of all time, only coming CLOSE to being ousted by MODERN games like Mass Effect 2 or other such great games.

Personally, I think you just hate 7 because 7 was the game that solidified the FF series' place as a cornerstone of RPGs, which would eventually give us the travesty that is FF13...

Though the year is not yet over. I am already saying that Rage is the biggest let down of the year. I never finished it, while the game is decently good looking its not the best I've ever seen. It still took up just ridiculous amounts of space disk wise and had nothing to keep me moving forward aside from the gameplay itself which isn't even new. It is the same as so many other games i have played. In the same setting as so many games with the same controls as so many games.

I'm only agitated because every time I talked about anything game related this year I had to hear about how RAGE was going to be the game of the year. Hands Down. I had people telling me that i should get it over Arkham City, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Uncharted 3. It was insane to hear this day in and day out, while 3 of my friends who got the game, said it was disappointing and they have all traded it in already.

Really Yahtzee, you're going to compare the lenght of a SHOOTER to an RPG? That's amazingly stupid, even for you. There are hints of RPG, but Rage is without a doubt an FPS, as you even point out as being part of Shooter Season 2011. So compare it to an older shooter. How long was Quake or Halo? Oh, that's right, sub 10 hours. How long is Rage? 12+ hours. Yeah, games sure are getting short these daaaay.....wait, THAT'S LONGER.

VulakAerr:

Urh:

fanklok:
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.

Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...

You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.

Creation is not Gamebryo 2.0, it is a completely new engine. Which having actually seen the game in person now, is very apparent. Creation will likely be used for FO4 as well, though I sorta hope they use idTech 5 after they work the kinks out of it.

believer258:
To be fair, Final Fantasy VII, like many RPG's in general, had tons of turn-based random encounters that stopped you every thirty fucking seconds so you could tap the same attack button until everything died. At least that's the impression I got of it after playing for two hours.

I do have RAGE but I'm not playing it until tomorrow, when fall break starts and I can really admire the great graphics, great animation, and shooting stuff. Because my criteria for a good shooter amounts to "it controls well, runs well, and the guns look and sound cool".

HA, but according to yatzhee you can finish this in a weekend, so hope your fall break isn't too long or you have another game to back you up !

OT: Great video , wasn't even thinking of getting it , but now i won'T even get it when the price drops.

I had high hope for this game but now i'm finding it difficult to convince myself to finish this :(

krazykidd:

believer258:
To be fair, Final Fantasy VII, like many RPG's in general, had tons of turn-based random encounters that stopped you every thirty fucking seconds so you could tap the same attack button until everything died. At least that's the impression I got of it after playing for two hours.

I do have RAGE but I'm not playing it until tomorrow, when fall break starts and I can really admire the great graphics, great animation, and shooting stuff. Because my criteria for a good shooter amounts to "it controls well, runs well, and the guns look and sound cool".

HA, but according to yatzhee you can finish this in a weekend, so hope your fall break isn't too long or you have another game to back you up !

OT: Great video , wasn't even thinking of getting it , but now i won'T even get it when the price drops.

1) I'll take it slow.
2) I might replay it. That's a lost fun, people don't seem to think that's feasible anymore.
3) I'll finish playing through one of the other games in my backlog.
4) I'll replay something I've already beaten that I really enjoyed.

And that's just for video games. Trust me, I am not short on things I want to do over this fall break.

i hated every second of Rage. sold it off to a friend (and i almost never sell my games) and was glad that was able to return 60% of money. i was promised rich fps RPG but in the end was left with depthless FRS derp with a sh*tty story and lazy setting design. i'm utterly disappointed with id Software.

krazykidd:

This, right here, is everything wrong with Yahtzee fans. You take an online cynics word as gospel and don't try anything for yourself.

It can be played in a weekend you say? Y rent it is than. Y would i want to spend $60 on that?!

Jennacide:

krazykidd:

This, right here, is everything wrong with Yahtzee fans. You take an online cynics word as gospel and don't try anything for yourself.

Did you miss the part of me saying , i wasn't even thinking of getting it ?

canadamus_prime:
And thus we've hit one the major problem with current generation games.

all flash and no substance? yeah ... i miss games about something to :/

believer258:

Yeah pretty much. I cannot tell you how much I raged when I accidentally wandered into a High-Leveled Monster area and ran out of supplies and the nearest town was about 3 goddamn miles away!
Random Encounters be damned!!!
Amazingly though, I never took the Yahtzee approach to fighting. Maybe I was the type of nerd who actually formulated a strategy when facing any monster and rarely ever just button mashed, unless Tifa was equipped with Haste.....

GOD I MISS IT!!! My Sado-Masochist Gaming personality has arisen!

*Runs off and plays Final Fantasy 7*

It's been obvious for a while now, the big game publishers shouldn't be making games anymore. It's all multi-million dollar engines with a game attached.

I wish I could say it'll change, but all the idiots who say "GRAFX DUN MADDUR" are the first ones to say how a new game doesn't look as good as an already released title.

So we're screwed.

Am I the only one who had no interest in this from the get-go? I remember seeing screens in PC Gamer a year or two ago and lost interest when I saw the scenery

Hey! Hey! No fair! In Fallout 3, you can wear jeans. Plenty of people do!

Jennacide:

krazykidd:

Ain't that the truth. You always have to take what Yahtzee says with a bit of Salt.
Most of the games I love are the ones I've heard him bash the most.

- Devil May Cry 4
- Killzone 3
- Mortal Kombat
- God of War 3
- Metal Gear Solid Series

I honestly think that the only 2 games Yahtzee and I can agree on are the ever praised Shadow of the Colossus and Modern Warfare 1

The sad thing is that I see the same thing with Movie Bob fans who wait on his word on a movie like it's the damned voice of God!
I saw Transformers 3 without watching his review and I honestly think I enjoyed it better than I would have had I not heard his rabid manchild rant and his bashing of the fans

Skeleon:
Hey! Hey! No fair! In Fallout 3, you can wear jeans. Plenty of people do!

UPUPUPUPUPUP!!

BROWN ALERT!!!

Secondly those Jeans just scream Post-Apocalypse!
All patched up and ragged as if a mentally challenged and fingerless tailor had thrown them together in the last 10 minutes before shortly going out of business and being bought out by Old Navy :P

SickBritKid:
Did you just say that FFVII is a "bad example" of a long gaming experience, Yahtzee!?

C'mon, man, I knew that you were an elitist sod with a chip on his shoulder about damn near EVERYTHING, but only an idiot would say that Final Fantasy VII was any sort of bad.

Even the FF6 elitist fucks I've tangled with have admitted that FF7 was a groundbreaking masterpiece, they just said that it's incredibly overrated whereas FF6, the the Final Fantasy series in general, was only moderately popular in the States prior to 7's advent.

Say what you will about FF7 being a "bad example", Yahtzee. It's still damn near my favorite game of all time, only coming CLOSE to being ousted by MODERN games like Mass Effect 2 or other such great games.

Personally, I think you just hate 7 because 7 was the game that solidified the FF series' place as a cornerstone of RPGs, which would eventually give us the travesty that is FF13...

Yo dude calm down man! We don't need to get up in arms about Yahtzee no liking a game. I love FF6, FF4 and FF7, but it is possible that people just don't tend to like it. Not because it was groundbreaking, but because not everyone is invested into RPGs.

No need to try and RAGE against Yahtzee (Hehehe it's a Pun). He has his preferences and we have ours. Love and Tolerance bro

Diegolomac:
Great review, I agree that the effort on visuals means that they put less time in making the game long and really compelling even though it has three discs.

Anyways, I wonder how the hell is Yahtzee going to review what comes from here to the end of December. Just in October releases, there's still Spidermand Edge of Time, Dark Souls, Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, X-men Destiny, Forza 4, and Ace Combat Assault Horizon. And that's without counting the other, smaller ones, like Kinect titles he most certainly won't play.

November won't get any better, with Skyrim, Sonic Generations, Serious Sam 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Modern Warfare 3, Rayman Origins, Lord of the Rings War in the North, etc, etc. I wonder if he'll start reviewing two games at once, if he'll review the remaining ones next year, or if he'll just ignore more than half of the releases.

I have a feeling that it's likely he'll ignore X-Men Destiny, Forza 4, Ace Combat, probably give a dismissive passing to Sonic Generations that makes everyone on here think it's the worst thing ever made (like with Sonic Colors), and I sincerely doubt he'd pay attention to Rayman Origins, Lord of the Rings, and all of the other little ones. Skyrim, Serious Sam, Assassin's Creed, Modern Warfare 3, Saints Row The Third, and possibly Uncharted 3/Skyward Sword are the ones I expect he'll take from next month. Granted, it's still a full schedule, so I think unless he just addresses them with mini-reviews in Extra Punctuation, a lot of those games will just be ignored.

OT: Funny stuff, though I was almost hoping he'd have tried the PC version on release so he could tear it a new one for the state it was released in. Guess he doesn't have a super-computer resembling the Monolith anymore.

The game looks nice ? It's riddled with low res textures everywhere ...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here