The Customer Doesn’t Care About Your Burglar

Pages PREV 1 2

the first paragraph (the part about architectural intent) made my mind jump straight into Douglas Adams mode, it almost made me a bit sad when the thanks for the fish reference popped up.. despite being validated in my feeling of the writers like for the Hitch-hiker it still made took something away when it's too clear.

I guess my point would nuancing the great masters styles are more pleasing for the readers than just straight of quoting. Just some food for thought.

Ed over and out.

Gralian:
What i got instead was a rant about how lazy business practices like refusing to pay suppliers on time, ignoring security as a vital aspect of running a private business and what i can only describe as an overwhelming case of Murphy's Law ended up running the author into the ground. It came across as nothing more than a sob story that's probably the swan song of nearly every small business retailer that either can't make it in a rough neighbourhood or has been muscled out by the larger competition.

It amazes me how many people in the comment section are ignoring the points the author has made and are just saying "duh, should have paid suppliers on time, should have got security" as if they're saying something different to what was addressed in the article itself!

I work as an accountant. I've dealt with plenty of clients, most often small businesses and sole traders, who have made the same mistakes and are fully aware of the risks. If they could pay their suppliers regularly or jack up security, they absolutely would (for the most part). However, they often don't have the option - those things cost money. When you're running a small business, you often don't have the kind of disposable cash to deal with these issues, and you scrape by day-to-day. Even with the best business plan in the world there will be rough times, and it's all too easy to put off something you know that you need but can't really afford right now. It's easy to sit around and talk about how you would have done it differently, but when you actually have to make the decision between long-term security and short-term survivability it gets far more difficult.

Not particularly directed at you, just you were the person I happened to reply to, but I think the relevant phrase to apply to many of the above comments is "easier said than done".

Retail is fickle, you can't keep customers happy all the time, no matter how hard you try.

Sometimes it does just resort to being select, sarcasm is a big thing where I work that we're meant to be cutting down on, but what about when that one customer walks in who really deserves it.

Some opportunities just can't be passed up.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here