Star Wars: The Old Republic Hands On

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Im sorry bioware you pulled resources out of Dragon Age 2 to make this crap? Well thanks for also pulling out any interest I have in any of your games to the end of time.

shadowmagus:

tmande2nd:
If not for the monthly subscription I would be getting it day one.

This is after playing the beta too.

Can you explain why a monthly sub is a deal breaker? This may not be the case with yourself, but many cringe at the idea of paying a $15 sub, but are quick to drop 60 bucks monthly on a new release, or even 20 bucks on a sale on Steam.

Fairly simple really isn't it?

People expect replayability in games such a these, so $60 to play the game for an infinite amount of time seems reasonable.

Whereas, after 4 months - the $15 monthly subscription will go beyond $60 (altogether spent on the game) and this is for a game that's MEANT to have years of replayability.

(Infinity > 4 Months)

Calibretto:
Im sorry bioware you pulled resources out of Dragon Age 2 to make this crap? Well thanks for also pulling out any interest I have in any of your games to the end of time.

Could you put '/sarcasm' tags at the end of that? Not sure if you're serious or not.

I have no idea how people can eat so much shit, especially while reading the preview. Seriously, watch some beta leaks, some gameplay and see for yourself what yet another paid Escapist reviewer writes about. You'll see WoW with dialogues, with addition of horrible black/white morality system. But don't allow me to just run my mouth like that, I'll support that with examples.

At the end of the Trooper story campaign you'll chase, and finally apprehend one of the most dangerous generals of the empire who killed thousands, if not millions of people. Now, you bring him in and Chancellor wants to TRADE him for a few prisoners that empire captured. If you won't allow that and say that he would murder much more people if he was to be returned, you are getting awarded a whole bunch of DARK SIDE points. In bioware morality if you do anything pragmatic (like not releasing the best empires general) you are a kitty murdering bastard.

There is a ton of such examples of bad writing, romances are probably the worst. But it's not like someone who will never receive any beta invite/early testing copy of EA game if he trashes the game will tell you about it.

Watch some leaks, read reviews of people who's job is not on the line if he will be frank for once and make up your OWN mind.

As for the "guild wars is better" argument, just watch beta vids from both of those games and decide where to place your trust.

Monsterfurby:
Storyline and character development - all well and good, but what point is there to it if all the characters will ultimately have experienced the same events and have developed the same backstory? Roleplaying happens because players have different play styles and experiences during their game, not because their characters were shoehorned into the exact same plot.

This is really what I am worried about, as the game might provide a "rpg" experience, it might just kill the immersion for actual multi-player role-playing.

I don't see you getting the RPG experience in any video game. There aren't a whole lot that offer anything of the like. You're better off doing forum-roleplaying, tabletop gaming or writing a book... Sad but true.

llagrok:
I don't see you getting the RPG experience in any video game. There aren't a whole lot that offer anything of the like. You're better off doing forum-roleplaying, tabletop gaming or writing a book... Sad but true.

To be honest, I've had some pretty good roleplaying experiences in RPG guilds in Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and even WoW, as well as UO freeshards. It certainly is possible, but getting harder these days.

Monsterfurby:

llagrok:

To be honest, I've had some pretty good roleplaying experiences in RPG guilds in Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and even WoW, as well as UO freeshards. It certainly is possible, but getting harder these days.

Games where a lot of the world is player-driven seems to be one's best bet these days. With a tight-knit community one can accomplish a lot and have some great times, but really. I don't imagine that this game will be the one for that. A story-driven MMO? Setting aside the massive difficulties that Bioware would have to overcome simply by trying to accomplish such a thing, the actual story they've created feels like complete and utter garbage. High stakes often helps immersion along but these days restriction is the name of the game. You can't do this and certainly not that. Nothing's permanent. Nobody ever loses. And for me, it's hard to become immersed in something if there's no risk involved. No risk beyond finding out you've poured a hundred days into some corporate monster that will just keep spewing out expansion after expansion, when it's really just a new set of numbers. In the end it's a business and the casual side is gaining ground.

SextusMaximus:
[quote="shadowmagus" post="6.318937.13007251"]
Could you put '/sarcasm' tags at the end of that? Not sure if you're serious or not.

Sorry I didn't know you didn't realise the amount of hate dragon age 2 generated I guess your a fan of the changes and low productions value.
So Ill state it more clearly for your sir.
I will not buy another Bioware game after Dragon Age 2.

Oh I think i'd like to play this game. When's it coming out? OH right it doesn't even have a release date for me.

You can shove it Bioware and EA.

AbundantRedundancy:

At some point on your starting planet, you'll eventually find your first companion character. The Jedi Knight, for instance, rescues an astromech from the Flesh Raiders, while the Smuggler allies himself with a battle-hardened soldier who shares a common enemy.

Companions can even help you out in combat, allowing you to take on even tougher challenges than you would normally.

Wait a minute. Unless TOR has some crazy amount of different companions, that means that you'll be guaranteed to see other players running around with the same companion as you are. Is that addressed in any way?

Enjoy the clones, although you can customize them a fair bit...

Zing:
Oh I think i'd like to play this game. When's it coming out? OH right it doesn't even have a release date for me.

Apparently they put out a global release:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111014-1

EDIT: Though im not sure what they mean by global.

EDIT2: Reading that again makes it feel like a bigger slap in the face....

Calibretto:

SextusMaximus:
[quote="shadowmagus" post="6.318937.13007251"]

Sorry I didn't know you didn't realise the amount of hate dragon age 2 generated I guess your a fan of the changes and low productions value.
So Ill state it more clearly for your sir.
I will not buy another Bioware game after Dragon Age 2.

I was being facetious, no need to take it seriously. All I was saying was that Star Wars is a MASSIVE franchise, and that it would probably be smarter for BioWare to put more money in this than their lesser known franchises - it's not that they hated those who wanted to play Dragon Age, it's just that there are far more Star Wars fanboys and of course- they'd want to appease them, especially with an MMO game.
Regardless, was DA2 so bad that you have a grudge for this long? I mean, could you not swap the game for another? Or did you buy it on Steam or something?

SextusMaximus:

I was being facetious, no need to take it seriously. All I was saying was that Star Wars is a MASSIVE franchise, and that it would probably be smarter for BioWare to put more money in this than their lesser known franchises - it's not that they hated those who wanted to play Dragon Age, it's just that there are far more Star Wars fanboys and of course- they'd want to appease them, especially with an MMO game.
Regardless, was DA2 so bad that you have a grudge for this long? I mean, could you not swap the game for another? Or did you buy it on Steam or something?

Steam PreOrder Day 1 based on the review by this website and on my love of the original.
I was in for a rude wake up call.

Edit: To me it was a blatant cash grab based on the originals success probably to fund this game ( seeing as most of the team was working on this ) so I hold no love for this game just own those merits.

kingcom:

Zing:

Flat out lie by Bioware or mincing of words? Hmm I'm not sure. Global release but only shipping boxes or allowing digital downloads from NA/Europe is their idea of a "Global release".

I am not going to watch this but I bet it has lots of light sabers in it.

Zing:

kingcom:

Zing:

Flat out lie by Bioware or mincing of words? Hmm I'm not sure. Global release but only shipping boxes or allowing digital downloads from NA/Europe is their idea of a "Global release".

The worst bit is this game is good....and they do this ...

kingcom:

Zing:

kingcom:

The worst bit is this game is good....and they do this ...

EA does not want your money straight away. They want it later. How's that bad man?! /sarcasm

Calibretto:

SextusMaximus:

Steam PreOrder Day 1 based on the review by this website and on my love of the original.
I was in for a rude wake up call.

Edit: To me it was a blatant cash grab based on the originals success probably to fund this game ( seeing as most of the team was working on this ) so I hold no love for this game just own those merits.

This game has been in development since 2005, when Bioware opened the studio in Austen for it's development. Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Origins, were all made while this was in development, so the idea that this somehow "stole" funds from DA2 is ridiculous. DA2's problems were in development time, not in funds, Bioware rushed out a sequel, developers do it all the time and get way less shit for it, hell obsidian does it with every game.

Scars Unseen:

BrotherRool:
Companions that look at your choices? Bioware have been forgiven of all my issues with them for that alone and is the first thing that has made me interested

Well it's not all that far removed from the way that companions reacted to choices that alter your good <--> evil axis in Baldur's Gate 2 and that was eleven years ago. And there is my obligatory Baldur's Gate comparison I've made for every single Bioware game released since Neverwinter Nights.

They went backwards? ? I don't understand it, I guess there must have been time and money constraints with KotoR and the ME's?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here