The Escapist Presents: Diablo 3 Beta: Demon Hunter

Diablo 3 Beta: Demon Hunter

If you like using ranged combat, traps and mobility to control the battlefield, then the Demon Hunter is the class for you.

Watch Video

This looks like the class I'll be trying. Played a Bowazon and summon necro in D2, and enjoyed the former more.

That said, the Wizard is looking quite entertaining too, but I'm not digging WD or Barb.

Torchlight was my first dungeon crawler that I got to experience. I've heard from everyone and their mother, and even their mothers, about how good diablo was. I really want to like this game, but I'm really not seeing the pull here. A small part of it is because every video of it is in drearyville, but there's something else that just.. doesn't do it for me. can someone show me the way? Or am I just stuck liking torchlight?

It looks like an assassin gone rogue.

Frizzle:
Torchlight was my first dungeon crawler that I got to experience. I've heard from everyone and their mother, and even their mothers, about how good diablo was. I really want to like this game, but I'm really not seeing the pull here. A small part of it is because every video of it is in drearyville, but there's something else that just.. doesn't do it for me. can someone show me the way? Or am I just stuck liking torchlight?

Drearyville is the Diablo universe. It's all dark crypts, hellish outdoor landscapes, and caves...lots of caves.

Torchlight is basically the EXACT same thing as Diablo but with a cartoony sheen and much more forgiving (read: impossible to die and retardedly easy) difficulty.

If you like one you really can't hate the other.

deth2munkies:

Frizzle:

Drearyville is the Diablo universe. It's all dark crypts, hellish outdoor landscapes, and caves...lots of caves.

Torchlight is basically the EXACT same thing as Diablo but with a cartoony sheen and much more forgiving (read: impossible to die and retardedly easy) difficulty.

If you like one you really can't hate the other.

I definitely don't hate Diablo, as I've not played it so I can't judge it that harshly. Torchlight is definitely easy and I won't argue that at all, but it is fun. Maybe the cartoonish stuff does it better for me in that dark underground environment, i'm not sure. I'll have to see if i can get a demo of Diablo (or try the open beta if they have one) and see.

So this class is essentially a ranged version of the Assassin from Diablo II. Well I know what class I'm playing if I get this.

Thought the point of diablo was to kill demons. Huh. Well as a vigorous player of D2 I can say this game is looking more and more like a watered down World of Warcraft. Doesn't look as dark as diablo should be. Remember Andariel in the first game? Good M-rated boss, and I highly doubt this game will have ANY breasts or things m-rated besides blood. Torchlight 2 it is then...

Don Savik:
Thought the point of diablo was to kill demons. Huh. Well as a vigorous player of D2 I can say this game is looking more and more like a watered down World of Warcraft. Doesn't look as dark as diablo should be. Remember Andariel in the first game? Good M-rated boss, and I highly doubt this game will have ANY breasts or things m-rated besides blood. Torchlight 2 it is then...

I like how you say it won't have tits, so you'll go with Torchlight 2, which is even more of a light heart game.

I'm still unsure as to whether I'll buy it because of the change in atmosphere, but Diablo 2 did the exact same thing to Diablo 1. Diablo 1 was one of the grittiest action-rpg horror games around. Diablo 2 was a lot brighter of a game, and had less "M-rated content" than the first. Andariel was the only boss with breasts in D2 as far as I recall. D1 had rooms fool of Tempresses flaunting their stuff.

RagnaThePig:
It looks like an assassin gone rogue.

Usually its the other way around :]

Atheist.:

Don Savik:

I like how you say it won't have tits, so you'll go with Torchlight 2, which is even more of a light heart game.

I'm still unsure as to whether I'll buy it because of the change in atmosphere, but Diablo 2 did the exact same thing to Diablo 1. Diablo 1 was one of the grittiest action-rpg horror games around. Diablo 2 was a lot brighter of a game, and had less "M-rated content" than the first. Andariel was the only boss with breasts in D2 as far as I recall. D1 had rooms fool of Tempresses flaunting their stuff.

I was about to make that comment. Seriously, you object to the cartoony nature of the game and go with the even more cartoony one?

Diablo 2 was lighter, but that doesn't in and of itself mean it was more light-hearted. The light was never there to create a sort of neutered environment we see in every Diablo 3 clip ever released. You still had bodies lying and rotting all over, torture devices (with bodies) and the general grim atmosphere no matter where you went. The different colors added variety, if anything. I will grant the proposition that Diablo 2 was indeed less grim than its predecessor, for whatever reason, having not played the original in a long time, but the jump is nowhere near on the same level as it is between 2 and 3.

My biggest problem with Diablo 3 is how shitty it is on a technical level. Diablo 2's biggest achievement (gameplay-wise) to me was always how well they executed the lighting. Throw a fireball at something, and the path gets lit up around the fireball with the boom creating an even bigger field of light. That sort of light/dark contrast added a whole 'nother level of awesome to the game's visuals, and it was persistent enough to have its own stat. Now, Diablo 3? Zero dynamic lighting. You see explosions and fire spells flung all over the place with zero effect on the environment. That's one of the many technical shortcomings, and one more stupid (and, my guess is, deliberate) oversight by the developer.

The deamon hunter class is the one I'm least interested in playing. Show us some Monk footage!

Hammeroj:
Now, Diablo 3? Zero dynamic lighting. You see explosions and fire spells flung all over the place with zero effect on the environment.

Diablo 3 most definitely does have dynamic lighting, it takes all of 4 seconds to find a video on youtube where you can see it. Sure some of the spells don't but a) all spells don't need it and b) unfinished game is unfinished.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here