The Big Picture: Demon Seed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Haha, I remember watching this one a few years ago.
It disturbed me, but I never thought much of it after that...

Thanks Bob! I've heard of the name 'Demon Seed', but not really what it was about. Now I gotta watch it. No wonder every other computer-goes-insane-and-tries-to-find-love movie has always failed. They always wuss out before getting to Demon Seed level of awesomeness.

Ermmm... I feel like I've watched this due to watching 2 episodes of the Simpson's and Westworld >.>

...and Dune (weird baby stuff)

So HAL9000 and GLaDOS gets referenced, but not one mention of the far superior SHODAN? I am severely disappointed in you, Bob. :(

The Gentleman:

MB202:
Dude, Halloween doesn't stop at November 1! It stops as soon as the annual Treehouse of Horror episode airs!

Uh... Isn't that on the 30th?

Well, thing is, usually the Halloween episode airs a week AFTER Halloween weekend, due to Fox's contract with major league baseball.

wow, havn't seen it in years but thanks for bringing it back to my attention.
scared the life out of me when I first saw it (then again I was twelve!)

"Geometry nerds get ready to pee your pants"

Geometry nerds exist??

Bacaruda:
I've seen this film. I think I caught it twice on late night TV.

It's a silly film, really and not that good. But it's funny.

The book was fairly comical and absurd as well. I think it's because of the absurdity that I enjoyed the book all the more.

(note: I've read the '97 rewrite of Demon Seed, and not the original version, which is what the movie is based off of. So I can't say with certainty whether that version was just as silly.)

Good on you to keep Halloween alive just a little longer. Fuck Christmas, I hate Christmas. It overshadows my own favorite holiday Thanksgiving. Halloween is a close second if only because it gives such excellent fodder for internet reviewers like you. =P

I remember seeing this movie. The Baby thing, at least, and a scene where the wife refuses to eat her eggs and ends up crouched on the table because Proteus heated up the floor so hot she couldn't walk on it.

And with that last scene.

Thanks, Bob. It wasn't like I wanted to sleep tonight or anything.

>.>

Death by Rubik Snake, and the whole wheelchair with bionic arm are the only reasons I would watch this movie.

Halloween doesn't end until after you puke out the three pounds of candy you ate the morning of November 1.

Reptiloid:
So HAL9000 and GLaDOS gets referenced, but not one mention of the far superior SHODAN? I am severely disappointed in you, Bob. :(

While SHODAN is a crazy AI she tends to think on a far grander scale than her compatriots, so I can see how they better connect to Demon Seed. Also, like Proteus IV, HAL and GLaDOS have distinct corporeal bodies, while SHODAN is more of a digital entity.

Loving how Bob has a good sense of humor, to place 'Giggity' on the Apple II screen haha. Well played Bob, well played. When seeing this video, I found it to be highly amusing. Of course, I am against rape of any sort which really upsets me to see this computer using his wife as a carrier for it's child (or itself to become... however it works.) Still would give it a shot however.

Also, that puzzle was like a guard dog killing someone? Brilliant!

Added to my watch list.
Thanks bob

There's a good film based on Dean Koontz? Oh, now I have to see this. It does sound cool as well, but mostly I'm just shocked there's a movie that is good, and from the sounds of things quite similar to the book. Should get the book, although apparently it was re-written in 97, oddly enough. Far lighter in tone it seems, no rape, Proteus has a human servant... Odd.

And now we know where Geth come from. Thanks Bob.

"...a movie most of you probably haven't seen and even fewer have even heard of."

The comments says otherwise :)

I also caught this movie once on a late night special on tv and I remember kind of liking it.

That Rubik's Snake was pure insanity, I need to find this movie.

Is this movie really unknown?

Director Donald cammell has quite a good rep, especially in his collaborations with nic roeg. I've had demon seed on dvd for years after reading an article on it in a major uk film magazine. This has honestly surprised me that its considered a 'lost' movie.

Has anyone else read Wetware?
Major spoilers ahoy, but there you've got the heroine (completely different to the hero's girlfriend) who LETS herself get inseminated by an AI (in the form of a big, blue, rubbery cube) in return for... I think it was a shit-ton of money. He goes on to try to take over the world, I think, but his plan is foiled by... wait for it... heavy-handed fascism. Seriously, he gets a publicity campaign and a huge following, and only by firing on protesters and hunting people down in their own houses can the Powers That Be restore order.

And does anyone else think that 'baby' looks like the Cherrub from Thief 2?

haruvister:
Westworld should be remade. I generally hate remakes, but it was an awesome concept (Jurassic Park with robot cowboys), with a really foreboding atmosphere, and a soul-raping ending - the only problem was it was directed by its writer, Michael Crichton, who should have stuck to the day job.

The problem with that remake is it was Yul Brynner that made that movie great for me.

He made an excellent psychotic killer robot cowboy.

Can't think of anyone who'd replace him and make it look as good, although the film was fantastic so I do have to agree with you.

If they could find someone to take Yul's place I wouldn't mind seeing it remade either.

I just want them to leave Blade Runner alone.

How can fewer people have heard of a movie than have seen it?

Anyhow, I'm loving Schlocktober. Looking forward to the final episode.

I've heard of this one but like most films, haven't seen it. I knew it was about rape but this kind of rape?

Don't know if I should be proud or ashamed that I have seen it.

Wow, am obscure movie I've actually heard of and seen before a review by MovieBob, does that make me cool now? (joke)

It's strange, but I've seen this movie long time ago and found it quite interesting, and it was scary since I was a kid back then :)

DVS BSTrD:
Shame how no one's ever heard about this movie:
It can only be attributable to human error.

I saw Demon Seed around 9 years ago and i still think it's a great movie no matter what people say about it.

I've never heard of this movie, but now that I have... I don't think I want to. The "AI wanting to impregnate a woman" aspect of it is just... offputting.

And maybe it's just me, but I think the robot baby thing at the end looks like something the Doctor would have to deal with... actually, I bet this story I'd make a neat Doctor Who episode...

Also, LOL at the "Giggity" computer.

I saw this years ago on video, here i thought you were gonna blog something obscure. Although, granted, it was a film my dad had in his collection. Although this movie is awesome, if dated, it still works. Maybe they need a remake or a sequel to see what happens to the kid at the end.

Aha! I have heard of and seen this film...

...problem is I didn't care for it. I mean it was a pretty good concept yet I just felt it was handled in a somewhat silly manner.

Holy shit, what's with those ads? I came here to listen about some obscure shitty movie, not listening about fucking breast cancer! I think Escapist just went down a little more. Not because of content at least.

Rawne1980:

haruvister:
Westworld should be remade. I generally hate remakes, but it was an awesome concept (Jurassic Park with robot cowboys), with a really foreboding atmosphere, and a soul-raping ending - the only problem was it was directed by its writer, Michael Crichton, who should have stuck to the day job.

The problem with that remake is it was Yul Brynner that made that movie great for me.

True, Brynner was irreplaceable.

But... I can see a worried, wide-eyed Cillian Murphy in Richard Benjamin's role. Josh Brolin could replace James Brolin. Bring in Cliff Martinez to do the music, and Vincenzo Natali to direct and BOOM! Box office gold.

Bob you liar, I've seen this movie. It was on the chiller network a couple of years ago. The premiss BLEW MY MIND.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here