Trailers: Blizzard DOTA - Announcement Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blizzard DOTA - Announcement Trailer

Taking Starcraft to another level the only way that Blizzard can.

Watch Video

Wow! I have to say i was kind of wondering how come Blizzard aren't getting in on the DOTA craze. Well, i guess this answers my question. It will be interesting to see what they make of this, considering that DOTA2 will also come out.

Uncreation:
Wow! I have to say i was kind of wondering how come Blizzard aren't getting in on the DOTA craze. Well, i guess this answers my question. It will be interesting to see what they make of this, considering that DOTA2 will also come out.

It's a map for SC2, it competes in no way with DOTA2 or LoL.

Looks fun, it's like Super Smash Brothers with Blizz characters.

I can't wait to see what Dota game is going to be better. Blizzard DOTA or DOTA 2. From what i have seen this is going to be close.

If they include Flintlocke as a playable character I'll never play Valve's game.. Would love to be able to shoot flaming squirrels out of a cannon.

OT: Not really surprised at Blizzard trying to compete with Valve's game. Doubt there will be much difference between them, 'cept for the playable characters.

wonder whats comming out first
DOTA 2
or
DOTA

This looks pretty sweet. I probably won't actually get into it, but I must say, I really like Blizzards graphics engine.

Wait, what?

I thought DOTA was a Valve game (er, mod) for Starcraft and Valve decided to make a mod (er, game) and call it DOTA 2, and it's coming soon (er, Valve time)

Just because it was Blizzard's game does that mean they have dual ownership or something?

In before, "They were working on a late-LoL competitor instead of releasing Diablo III."

GaltarDude1138:
Wait, what?

I thought DOTA was a Valve game (er, mod) for Starcraft and Valve decided to make a mod (er, game) and call it DOTA 2, and it's coming soon (er, Valve time)

Just because it was Blizzard's game does that mean they have dual ownership or something?

Actually, DOTA was a community made custom map for Warcraft 3, and Valve has decided to make a game based on this mod, which they are calling DOTA 2. Some people are getting mad over this, but it's no more of a rip-off than HoN or LoL, other than the name. I'm not sure about the laws here, but I don't think it can be considered a blizzard game.

Edit: Also, Icefrog, the longest serving developer of DOTA was hired by valve for DOTA 2.

GaltarDude1138:
Wait, what?

DOTA is a gametype. DOTA is a registered trademark of Valve, Defense of the Ancients(DotA) is a registered trademark of Riot games. The legal challenges are a brewing. I think Blizzard and Riot are teaming up to make sure that Valve's Trademark is invalid since you can't trademark gametype names.

monnes:

GaltarDude1138:
Wait, what?

Actually, DOTA was a community made custom map for Warcraft 3,

Oops, my bad, I meant Warcraft. Better ready the flameshield...

Sorry, please continue.

monnes:
and Valve has decided to make a game based on this mod, which they are calling DOTA 2. Some people are getting mad over this, but it's no more of a rip-off than HoN or LoL, other than the name. I'm not sure about the laws here, but I don't think it can be considered a blizzard game.

But it's odd, considering that Valve is going to make money off a full-price game of a sequel to a mod of Blizzard's game.

I guess it's not Blizzard's IP, but it was still based off Blizzard's game.

Baldr:

DOTA is a gametype. DOTA is a registered trademark of Valve, Defense of the Ancients(DotA) is a registered trademark of Riot games. The legal challenges are a brewing. I think Blizzard and Riot are teaming up to make sure that Valve's Trademark is invalid since you can't trademark gametype names.

But why haven't they gone all "cease and desist order" on them already? They've already announced it, shown gameplay, gotten hype brewing. But Blizzard is using the same name to release a game, based on a mod, based on...you know what, fuck it, it's too complicated for me to even think about.

All in all, it looks like quite the challenge for the lawyers...

/thread this whole subject

GaltarDude1138:

monnes:
and Valve has decided to make a game based on this mod, which they are calling DOTA 2. Some people are getting mad over this, but it's no more of a rip-off than HoN or LoL, other than the name. I'm not sure about the laws here, but I don't think it can be considered a blizzard game.

But it's odd, considering that Valve is going to make money off a full-price game of a sequel to a mod of Blizzard's game.

I guess it's not Blizzard's IP, but it was still based off Blizzard's game.

I would claim that more than anything, it's Icefrogs IP now, and since he's working for valve now, I don't really see the problem with valve making DOTA 2 as a full game, valve really has a habit of hiring modders and making their mods into games, although usually they'd been modding valve games. I can see Baldrs point though.

I wonder if they're looking to get past the other names by officially calling it "Blizzard DOTA" instead of just DOTA. I think Hasbro does something with their Transformer characters by officially calling them things like "Autobot So-and-so" and such, but I could be wrong on that.

I also love how this thing made no attempt to disguise the game behind any kind of story. They just flat out said "We're kidnapping characters and pitting them against each other for no other reason than players amusement!" (And did it in an epic manner usually reserved for such self-important attempts at story to boot!)

FUCKIN FINALLY!

It only took you almost a decade and another company stealing your brand for you to realize THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA.

Seriously, Blizzard. Really late, but good for you!

I never played DOTA... But I liked the mugen feel of it, with it being characters from everywhere.

That being said... I don't know jack about DOTA 2

Even if I won't buy this games, it will, for sure, be interesting to watch.

Valve vs. Blizzard
Quality-Games vs. Overrated-Games*

*Seriously, nowadays WOW is not what it was when it was released. It's a cheap-looking game, with cheap quests that's very expensive too. I hope that WOW will just die in order to give Innovative-MMORPG's a chance. I wouldn't even mind if it was WOW 2, just a new game.

I saw a murloc marine! WANT!

As a seasoned DotA player, I have to say that this looks really awful.

Fun concept. But all the things they added just seem very, very bad.

I'm hoping this will be an official Starcraft 2 mod (i.e.: free); that or at least be very cheap.

And don't get me started on Valve.

What does DOTA mean and what did I just watch?

monnes:

I would claim that more than anything, it's Icefrogs IP now, and since he's working for valve now, I don't really see the problem with valve making DOTA 2 as a full game, valve really has a habit of hiring modders and making their mods into games, although usually they'd been modding valve games. I can see Baldrs point though.

I guess your argument is that because Icefrog is the recent popularizer and changed and edited DOTA so much to its succesful level, that it's his IP.

I have no real knowledge about IP, but I doubt IP works that way. You write a story. I'm the one who edits it a lot and add a lot to it. Doesn't make it my IP.

Deeleted:
As a seasoned DotA player, I have to say that this looks really awful.

Fun concept. But all the things they added just seem very, very bad.

As a seasoned hater of everything DotA I have to say this looks really great.

All the things they added just seem like it could finally make DotA fun.

I'm not a fan of Blizzard or DOTA, but damn that is a well-made trailer.

Behazard:
If they include Flintlocke as a playable character I'll never play Valve's game.. Would love to be able to shoot flaming squirrels out of a cannon.

OT: Not really surprised at Blizzard trying to compete with Valve's game. Doubt there will be much difference between them, 'cept for the playable characters.

oh please let them do that! also to Oxhron too!

SNORE. Looks like ol' Blizz is getting butthurt that Valve is making a better version than a mod from one of their games.

These games are terribly boring and the community is a bunch of hatemongering trolls, but if its your cup of tea, you got 6 of the exact. same. game. to play, so...have....fun?

(these are supposed to be fun games right?)

Aw, no Diabloverse references? Not buying, then.

Kidding. This looks somewhat amusing, but I'm still waiting on Valve's version.

dunam:

monnes:

I guess your argument is that because Icefrog is the recent popularizer and changed and edited DOTA so much to its succesful level, that it's his IP.

I have no real knowledge about IP, but I doubt IP works that way. You write a story. I'm the one who edits it a lot and add a lot to it. Doesn't make it my IP.

Actually, as it is a mod created by the community, I don't really think anyone can claim a right to the IP, law-wise. I was just trying to say that I think Icefrog deserves it more than anyone else, except possibly for the original creater, of whom I don't know the name and won't bother to look up.

League of Legends makes a shitload of money and suddenly everyone is jumping on the DotA/MOBA bandwagon. Though I gotta say, I love the little Valve Time reference: "coming soon...ish".

Why is it always Red vs. Blue? Why can't it be something like Green vs. Yellow?

TheSniperFan:
Even if I won't buy this games, it will, for sure, be interesting to watch.

Valve vs. Blizzard
Quality-Games vs. Overrated-Games*

*Seriously, nowadays WOW is not what it was when it was released. It's a cheap-looking game, with cheap quests that's very expensive too. I hope that WOW will just die in order to give Innovative-MMORPG's a chance. I wouldn't even mind if it was WOW 2, just a new game.

Nikolaz72:
I still find it entertaining. Its the same game but with so much polish that you are pretty unlikely to, even just find a bug. Even find a glitch in the map. Its so polished and patched up that you'd have to be in the beta of an expansion to find a glitch or a bug. I guess with the new Expansion they will rework both map and gameplay which means new bugs and new balance issues. But fact is, I find it fun. Over ten million other people find it fun. You dont find it fun. Lets just stick to that.

I tried other MMO's, still find World of Warcraft to be the superior atm. And in many peoples minds it will remain so, because nobody is making World of Warcraft 'killers' Which means that World of Warcraft is the best World of Warcraft out there, you will be hardly strained to find another company making a better World of Warcraft than Blizzard.

I still find it entertaining. Its the same game but with so much polish that you are pretty unlikely to, even just find a bug. Even find a glitch in the map. Its so polished and patched up that you'd have to be in the beta of an expansion to find a glitch or a bug. I guess with the new Expansion they will rework both map and gameplay which means new bugs and new balance issues. But fact is, I find it fun. Over ten million other people find it fun. You dont find it fun. Lets just stick to that.

TheTejs:
wonder whats comming out first
DOTA 2
or
DOTA

Since it's Blizz soon-ish might take quite a while.

DeadlyBritishDisease:
League of Legends makes a shitload of money and suddenly everyone is jumping on the DotA/MOBA bandwagon. Though I gotta say, I love the little Valve Time reference: "coming soon...ish".

Soonish is actually an official Blizzard term. It lies between 'soon' and 'the end of time'. Probably.

OT, I doubt there'll be any competing with DOTA2 or LoL, since Blizzard DOTA is a free map for SC2 like Left 2 Die and Aiur Chef and not an actual stand-alone game.

What??

This really came out of the blue huh?

Well, I think Blizzard finally found a game to make that anybody would want to buy.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here