Batman Arkham City Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3

So anyone play this on hard yet? I found it even more challenging than dark souls or at least rival that of. Can't imagine how hard it'll be on hard and new game+.

I also like the flow combat system, except the knife counters (almost never work, easier to just jump over the knife wielder and hit them from behind), and the camera is too close (i end up loosing the flow combo because i could not find the next target).
Camera while gliding is also pain in the arse (trying to grab the next gargoyle or water tower from a distance can get tricky).

But all in all, good game (although only at the third catwoman sequence now, will play it more when during weekends), don't like the portrayal of the females though, Ivy and Harley especially, but Catwoman and Talia feel off as well.

Love it.

They've done a great job here, the plot is highly complex (maybe too complex for casuals, but batman fans will eat it up).

Catwoman's sections are cool, she is very different from Bats, she moves throughout the city in a much more grounded fashion (rooftop running far more than Bats) and she can't take as much punishment... so guys with guns are srs bsnz.

They even managed to make the Penguin work with the cockney accent (and believe me, I was hating this idea when I saw the trailer).
He's actually a very good 'version' for Rocksteady's Bat Universe and well, it works imo.

Freeze sounds and acts exactly the way I hoped.

Ivy and Harley and still the Ivy and Harley we got in AA... Rocksteady's Ivy and Harley and for what they are, they work.

Talia I wasn't too keen on, I'm used to Morrison's Talia who is a MUCH stronger character.
But Ras made up for it... That was beyond doubt my favourite encounter (except for the hallucinated section, didn't like that... prefer scarecrow for trippy Bat action tbh).

Game of the Year... no question.

I don't know why they bothered with Catwoman beyond the challenge rooms, she is useless. Her movement is too fussy - half the time there's no trigger point to whip onto unlike batman's grapnel device. Thief vision is utterly useless and can't differentiate between goons with or without guns. She also has no answer to dealing with lots of gunmen and in certain locations that's what you find and that's why Batman as the disruptor gun etc. There are also far too many riddles.

ExtraDebit:
So anyone play this on hard yet? I found it even more challenging than dark souls or at least rival that of. Can't imagine how hard it'll be on hard and new game+.

I'm playing on hard. The enemies just move faster. They still have the counter indication though, unlike AA.

ccdohl:

ExtraDebit:

I'm playing on hard. The enemies just move faster. They still have the counter indication though, unlike AA.

There's no counter indicators on new game+. Anyway maybe I'm just getting old and my hand eye coordination isn't what it used to be. Found the difficulty fun and rewarding though, unlike the 0 difficulty games as of late.

But one thing I don't like is how they didn't give you enough freedom on how to approach combat, I wish stealth was more expanded and a viable alternative to melee.

If only Assassin's creed was this hard, I'll be in love all over again.

ExtraDebit:

I'm on the hard difficulty of New Game+ at the moment and I'm actually managing fine without the counter indicator. Playing through hard really seems to have given me a feel for the timing needed to pull off the counters without the indicator. The only thing that's throwing me off is having dudes with guns and stun rods from the beginning and the larger crowds. But larger crowds just means more ass kicking for me.

I'm getting this game once I can play as Robin and Catwomen for DLC. I can wait.

Thanks for spoiling the epilogue for me you jackass.

Sparrow:
My only complaint is that I expected the campaign to be a little longer. Everything else I love.

Z of the Na'vi:
Exactly how does a steel grate hold back a powerhouse like Bane?

You know what part of the plot confused me the most?

I wondered the exact same thing, kind of an important bit for the writers to just straight up forget about.

ExtraDebit:

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but you must be doing something wrong. I took my first playthrough of this game on hard and it was nowhere near Dark Souls difficulty.

Just gotta remember it's basically a rhythm game, let them come to you. You do know you can counter multiple enemies at once by pressing Y for each enemy currently attacking you right? I didn't know that until I failed the courtroom section at the beginning a half dozen times.

Protip: Talk to calendar man today. And on other holidays.

Turns out, he has little speeches on all major holidays. I talked to him today and he talked about halloween. So, that's cool that they included that.

Grabbin Keelz:
I've beaten the game and theres still a few questions I have.

I actually thought the gliding mechanic in Prototype was as if not more fun than the swinging in Spiderman 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here