Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Question! Is the co-op in Uncharted 3 split-screen or do I have to tell my buddy across the street to grab his own copy of Uncharted 3 before we can play together? Otherwise I saw a bit of gameplay earlier today and speaking as someone who hasn't been a fan of the Uncharted series, it does look really good! I may have to grab a copy of this...and the other two now that I think about it.

Was that Flynn I saw in the credits of the video review? If it was then thanks for the spoiler alert.

I'll just go right ahead and assume that you scored Amy Hennig's writing on a special hidden chart.
Where she scored 7.5 out of 5.
Because she is FUCKING AMAZING.

Akichi Daikashima:

No game makes such great use of big spaces and set pieces better than Uncharted

Oh, so Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia have dissapeared from the face of the earth and from human history?

Ever think that someone thinks that maybe we've leanrned something in the 8 years since Prince came out? I thought PoP was great, but people do go on about it lots and lots and it wasn't that good. It was a very well put together action platformer, and Uncharted is its spiritual sequel.

Also, fuck Assassins creed.

Look at that, opinions!

Shoggoth2588:
Question! Is the co-op in Uncharted 3 split-screen or do I have to tell my buddy across the street to grab his own copy of Uncharted 3 before we can play together?

It's also split-screen. Just like the footage in the video showed.

Akichi Daikashima:

Susan Arendt:

Akichi Daikashima:

Oh, so Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia have dissapeared from the face of the earth and from human history?

I love Prince of Persia, I do, but I think Uncharted does it better.

Until a HD remake of Prince of Persia Sands of Time comes out, I don't think that I could legally say that.

Also, just play any Assassin's Creed game(preferably II or revelations).

If we're talking about the console version of AC its not anywhere close to the visuals you get out of this game.

I am going to break into my brothers house and occupy his living room/ tv/ PS3 untill I finish this game, whether he likes it or not.

LobsterFeng:
Was that Flynn I saw in the credits of the video review? If it was then thanks for the spoiler alert.

Everything in the credits comes from pre-released trailers for the game.

CardinalPiggles:
So this game is worth 300 is it? No? Didn't think so.

Andy of Comix Inc:
I like how a game that completely justifies the purchase of a PlayStation 3 still only manages to get 4 and a half stars.

Just a bit of hyperbole for dramatic effect, guys, no need to be so negative or so literal. But the argument could certainly be made that it would be worth picking up a PS3 to play all three Uncharteds.

Susan Arendt:

Just a bit of hyperbole for dramatic effect, guys, no need to be so negative or so literal. But the argument could certainly be made that it would be worth picking up a PS3 to play all three Uncharteds.

I bought my PS3 earlier this year primarily for the Uncharted series; I haven't regretted that purchase yet, though the other dozen+ exclusives certainly don't hurt. I missed you, Ratchet.

I don't consider Nathan Drake to be the deepest or most compelling game character around, but I much prefer his smarmy wisecracking to the hordes of angry or stoic, gravel-voiced, shaven-head brutes I see in so many other games. I've never understood the hatedom he gets.

Akichi Daikashima:

The Escapist has been known for their ecstatic reviews. They hailed Dragon Age 2 as the best RPG ever.

-Spoiler added by Mod. It's bad enough posting an offensive image, without sapping everyone's bandwidth too!

Casual Shinji:
I'll have to disagree on the story, it's honestly the weakest in the series.

Maybe if they hadn't included that random pirate subplot...

I'm only at chapter 20, but so far that's been the only section of it that I've enjoyed (10 to ~15/16). So much so, that I couldn't be arsed playing it anymore at the minute. I was so hyped about this, and for me it's fallen flat on its face.

Also, is it just me, or are a lot of the stealth sections broken? As in there's always 1 armoured guy that you can't stealth kill?

'The current trend in game design is all about player agency, choices with consequence and open-ended gameplay...'

Not quite, the current trend is 'cinematic', something which Uncharted has in spades. Maybe sometimes TOO much.

Alright, I'm gonna go read the rest of the review now :)

Susan Arendt:

Everything in the credits comes from pre-released trailers for the game.

I see. Well then it's impressive that I managed to avoid those trailers for this long.

Cleril:

Akichi Daikashima:

The Escapist has been known for their ecstatic reviews. They hailed Dragon Age 2 as the best RPG ever.

You do realise what that image represents, right? Even as a joke, suggesting someone should be put down isn't really very funny, especially over what amounts to a difference of opinion.

Cleril:

Akichi Daikashima:

So, wait. Just because someone liked a game more than you means that it's OK to call them incompetent and suggest they be euthanized? Yeah, that was a stellar move.

CynderBloc:

Casual Shinji:
I'll have to disagree on the story, it's honestly the weakest in the series.

Maybe if they hadn't included that random pirate subplot...

I'm only at chapter 20, but so far that's been the only section of it that I've enjoyed (10 to ~15/16). So much so, that I couldn't be arsed playing it anymore at the minute. I was so hyped about this, and for me it's fallen flat on its face.

Also, is it just me, or are a lot of the stealth sections broken? As in there's always 1 armoured guy that you can't stealth kill?

I don't think that's the only thing broken about the game - It doesn't feel like it's been through a lot of play testing.

Maybe I'm being too hard on this sequel, but I've completely lost my patience with it. Sure it's still all cinematic, but games like inFamous 2 and Batman: Arkam City have reached almost the same level of cinematic flare without losing that sense of freedom.

And I didn't mind the rigid nature of Uncharted 2 because the gameworld was terrifically designed and paced.

crotchdot:

Shoggoth2588:
Question! Is the co-op in Uncharted 3 split-screen or do I have to tell my buddy across the street to grab his own copy of Uncharted 3 before we can play together?

It's also split-screen. Just like the footage in the video showed.

Awesome! The split-screen in the video looked a bit strange what with the hearts so I was unsure if the footage was taken simultaneously from different screens during LAN play. Still, great news!

Casual Shinji:
snip

I forced myself to go back to it as this is the only day I have off for the rest of the week, and I finished it in about 45 minutes from where I left off...

I really am not sure what I feel about it. Yes, the new animations add to the fluidity of movement and the gameplay is as good as it was from the first moment of Drake's Fortune. It just feels like they have tried too hard to make it into an amazing spectacle, and it doesn't need that.

I honestly feel that this is the weakest in the series. It did have some really good sections (I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about), but I'd still play DF before either of the other two

Logan Westbrook:

Cleril:

Akichi Daikashima:

You do realise what that image represents, right? Even as a joke, suggesting someone should be put down isn't really very funny, especially over what amounts to a difference of opinion.

You do realize how to spell realize, right? Just like how I realize what that image represents.

Um...perhaps you took it too literally, ever think that I meant to state that the idea that Dragon Age 2 is the best RPG ever should be put down? Yep. Maybe that's what I meant; It's not entirely funny when you force words or messages from my post instead of just asking.

vansau:
So, wait. Just because someone liked a game more than you means that it's OK to call them incompetent and suggest they be euthanized? Yeah, that was a stellar move.

It's okay to call them incompetent, sure. I never suggested the person be euthanized, only the notion, or idea that the game is the best RPG ever.

I mean, The Escapist community tends to be rather ruthless when it comes to punishments across the board: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.320877-Pair-rape-and-Murder-a-girl-Then-confess-in-WoW

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.316678-Utah-Man-Jailed-For-Alleged-Wiimote-Rape#12876502

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.315301-He-raped-a-13-year-old-girl-he-got-away-with-it#12802900

Compared to some if not most posts in those topics, I'm pretty dignified.

CynderBloc:

Casual Shinji:
snip

I forced myself to go back to it as this is the only day I have off for the rest of the week, and I finished it in about 45 minutes from where I left off...

I really am not sure what I feel about it. Yes, the new animations add to the fluidity of movement and the gameplay is as good as it was from the first moment of Drake's Fortune. It just feels like they have tried too hard to make it into an amazing spectacle, and it doesn't need that.

I honestly feel that this is the weakest in the series. It did have some really good sections (I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about), but I'd still play DF before either of the other two

For me the Uncharted games are comparable to the Spider-Man movies:

- The first one was good, but you could tell they were still struggling with certain issues.
- The second one built upon what they learned from the previous title and struck an almost perfect balance.
- And the third needed to be bigger than the second so they just added stuff for the sake of stuff, completely destroying any pacing or structure.

They also added too much focus on the brawling mechanic in UC3 and from the second game on they should've realized that Drake's movements as a game character lacks the swiftness to pull that off. So where left with akward and twitchy fist fights wich look worse than the previous games because it's trying to be something it's not.

For me from the plane section onward it finally started to get pretty good. Eventhough most if not all of the shoot-outs felt very sloppy.

Cleril:

You do realize how to spell realize, right? Just like how I realize what that image represents.

Um...perhaps you took it too literally, ever think that I meant to state that the idea that Dragon Age 2 is the best RPG ever should be put down? Yep. Maybe that's what I meant; It's not entirely funny when you force words or messages from my post instead of just asking.

First of all, I'm British, so I spell realise with an "s." Secondly, don't get uppity with people for misunderstanding you when you've communicated badly.

Logan Westbrook:

Cleril:

First of all, I'm British, so I spell realise with an "s." Secondly, don't get uppity with people for misunderstanding you when you've communicated badly.

I didn't get uppity, I responded to you because you took my post to another level. Can't a guy just post in peace without the need for useless assumptions?

And who's to say you didn't understand badly?

Can't we all just move along with our lives? I mean, what, do you want an apology for my post? I'm sorry. There, are we sexy now?

Cleril:
I didn't get uppity, I responded to you because you took my post to another level. Can't a guy just post in peace without the need for useless assumptions?

Can't we all just move along with our lives? I mean, what, do you want an apology for my post? I'm sorry. There, are we sexy now?

Considering one of my colleagues thought you were saying exactly the same thing, I don't think the problem lies with me. Also, an apology you don't mean is, well, meaningless.

Casual Shinji:

- The first one was good, but you could tell they were still struggling with certain issues.
- The second one built upon what they learned from the previous title and struck an almost perfect balance.
- And the third needed to be bigger than the second so they just added stuff for the sake of stuff, completely destroying any pacing or structure.

They also added too much focus on the brawling mechanic in UC3 and from the second game on they should've realized that Drake's movements as a game character lacks the swiftness to pull that off. So where left with akward and twitchy fist fights wich look worse than the previous games because it's trying to be something it's not.

For me from the plane section onward it finally started to get pretty good. Eventhough most if not all of the shoot-outs felt very sloppy.

Yeah, I'd go with that.

I felt like DF had the perfect balance between puzzle solving and action segments, Among Thieves lost a bit of the puzzle solving, but balanced it perfectly with cinematic set pieces.

As for UC3...visually pleasing as it was, not just graphically but it's set pieces too (The burning chateu, boat and plane were all impressive sequences), it feels like it's lost all sense of the puzzle aspect. It's been overloaded with action and set pieces and at points it just felt like I was playing a generic shooter. I didn't get the sense of exploration that I did with DF, or the sense of balance that I did with AT.

To quote Yahtzee, immersion is paramount, and I didn't get any with this installment

Logan Westbrook:

Cleril:

Considering one of my colleagues thought you were saying exactly the same thing, I don't think the problem lies with me. Also, an apology you don't mean is, well, meaningless.

As is an argument that is irrelevant.

I'm sorry if you took any sort of offense at my post.

And of course your colleague is but another opinion in the whole scheme of things, no different than thinking Dragon Age 2 is the best RPG out there. Therefore, not truth.

rayen020:

No game makes such great use of huge spaces and dramatic set pieces better than uncharted.

To which i reply, "what of Assassin's creed?"

Also I have a feeling Yahtzee is going to have a very different take but then that's his thing.

....What about AC? I actually can't think of a single interesting set piece in the entire series, like, at all. I mean, the combat is exactly the same no matter where you are in the game and the stealth never really works, especially in a series about choice and adaptation (hey, you know what people used to love? Losing the game as soon as an enemy sees you! That was awesome!).

Casual Shinji:

CynderBloc:

Casual Shinji:
snip

Well...I actually thought the brawling was pretty good. HOWEVER, I think it should have been left for melee-only sections and the Brute mini-bosses. Attempting to have a full-fledged battle with every random enemy is...very...can't think of a word for it, but I think the melee system from multiplayer should have been how melee was handled outside of brawls.

I felt like the game started to get weaker after the plane section...the parts of the game I enjoyed most were the ship, chateau, and the plane. That was kind of it...

Although, I would agree that Uncharted 2 was more or less a perfect balance. I thoroughly enjoyed every part of that game and played through the story many, many times.

I've liked all the Uncharted games, because they feel like the closest I'll ever have to playing a really good Indiana Jones game...However, having played Uncharted 3 now, I think of it much the same way I think of the Dark Knight Trilogy. Of course, I'm needing to assume things about the Dark Knight Returns here, but from my expectations of it, it won't be a bad movie, far from it; it just won't be as good as the second. This is similar thing to the original Star Wars trilogy; Empire Strikes back was to me a better movie than Return of the Jedi, but ROTJ was still good. Thats how I feel about Uncharted 3 compared to Uncharted 2.

Eh. I'll pick it up, down the line, or whenever Gamefly decides to send it to me. Nothing was that impressive to me in either of the other Uncharteds that screamed that I should run out and buy it, it being perfectly fine, well tooled, and smooth, but having mediocre platforming, stamped out encounters, and occasionally-funny-but-mostly-smarmy dialogue just left me wanting more. The amount of visual greens and blues is fun, and so I might get them later in a big bundle, for a reasonable price, but visuals alone cannot make a game. Visuals, an overplayed story, time-tested platforming and gunplay, "witty" dialogue, and randomly inserted emotions, sure, that'll make a good game.

Oh, though it is nice to see he stuck with the blonde from the last one, if for nothing else than consistency. At least it means the big dramatic jesture at the end of the last one actually meant something. So that's fair.

Cleril:

And of course your colleague is but another opinion in the whole scheme of things, no different than thinking Dragon Age 2 is the best RPG out there. Therefore, not truth.

It's not an argument. It's me telling you that your comment crossed the line, and you refusing to accept any responsibility for it.

Logan Westbrook:

Cleril:

It's not an argument. It's me telling you that your comment crossed the line, and you refusing to accept any responsibility for it.

My comment crossed the line in your eyes.

I once again never said that the reviewer (Greg Tito) should be put down. You took it that way.

Move on, pretty please?

Cleril:

Logan Westbrook:

Cleril:

I once again never said that the reviewer (Greg Tito) should be put down. You took it that way.

Move on, pretty please?

And again, you're trying to shift the blame onto me. Is it really so hard to hold your hands up and admit that you did something wrong?

Logan Westbrook:

Cleril:

Logan Westbrook:

Move on, pretty please?

And again, you're trying to shift the blame onto me. Is it really so hard to hold your hands up and admit that you did something wrong?

I didn't shift the blame to anybody.

All I stated that it was your opinion of what I meant to say in my post.

I stated that your opinion was not correct.

You stated I was wrong to make the post, knowing that your view of it, even your colleague's, is incorrect.

You're taking blame upon yourself now when there is no blame to be had.

I made a post, you took X message, I stated that message is incorrect, you keep going on.

And I stated to move on.

That pretty much sums up this scenario.

Cleril:

I didn't shift the blame to anybody.

All I stated that it was your opinion of what I meant to say in my post.

I stated that your opinion was not correct.

You stated I was wrong to make the post, knowing that your view of it, even your colleague's, is incorrect.

You're taking blame upon yourself now when there is no blame to be had.

I made a post, you took X message, I stated that message is incorrect, you keep going on.

And I stated to move on.

That pretty much sums up this scenario.

Not quite. You made a comment that multiple people thought went too far, and rather than accept that you could have communicated your point more clearly and properly apologise, you've tried to fob me off with insincere gestures. That sums up this scenario.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here