Zero Punctuation: Batman: Arkham City

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Batman: Arkham City

This week, Zero Punctuation returns to the black tights of everyone's favorite caped crusader.

Watch Video

Good vid. I have yet to get around to the first Batman game, but I might take advantage of the buy the second and get the first free deal that my local shop has.

I preordered Asylum on PC, will Catwoman be available to me too?

I'm thinking of just waiting for steam to make this thing super cheap and buying Saints Row 3 instead...

Absolutely fantastic. Especially then end worth a great chuckle. While I probably should be thrown in the loony bin, I can't say I've ever played AA and probably won't play AC...wait a minute! A.rhkam C.ity!?! D.C. Comics!?! A.C. by D.C.!?! o_o It makes perfect sense now.

What the
Leave Bat vision on? Are you bloody insane?
You can't figure out anything with bat vision on.

Excellent review, as always.

I have to wonder, which side-quests get locked off? Cause I never had this problem.

And I agree, I do miss the Scarecrow section from the first game. Although the Mad Hatter does try his hardest to compensate.

Great review as always with a brilliantly savvy ending.
Also managed to keep up the critiscism for such an otherwise good game.

Turtleboy1017:
I preordered Asylum on PC, will Catwoman be available to me too?

I'm thinking of just waiting for steam to make this thing super cheap and buying Saints Row 3 instead...

catwoman is a NEW bonus. Any first hand copy will have her, the other ones like robin, and nightwing and the costumes are pre-order. (depending who sucked your wallet)

hopes this clears things up.

Glad to hear the Batman sequel was handled capeably.
I'll be picking-up this game soon enough.

I kind of hated the Catwoman levels too. I realize that I didn't have to download it, but at the time I din't know any better. Anyway all the other reviewers were going on about how awesome it was that the Catwoman levels implemented itself into the story, but I hated that because I felt it broke up the pacing.

It's always good to buy games new, and help support the developers.

Enjoyed the little pre-owned dig there. Haven't played the game and never will. Still a good watch though.

Dr_Steve_Brule:
What the

I found it really difficult to do the stealth segments without Bat Vision on. Especially the ones outside where the enemies are spread out everywhere.

Leemaster777:

I have to wonder, which side-quests get locked off? Cause I never had this problem.

I'm curious about this complaint as well,.

I didn't like the Catwoman sections much either. She's like a crappier version of Batman with no real helpful gadgets.

I must admit, side missions in sandboxes that get locked off without any warning whatsoever are the bane of my existence. I still haven't built up the courage to play through the entire story of GTA 3 again just to unlock the sight of ice cream vans driving around my Liberty city...

Pretty much agree on all points, and yeah if it weren't for the strategy guide I would've missed all those side-missions as well.

That said I still like the game, and once you get the Rapnel Boost it becomes so much easier and fun to actually travel around. I also thought the actual way you got the Riddler trophoies is better this time around than in Asylum. The only issue I was surprised you didn't bring up is while the ending worked for what they wanted, the end boss didn't really seem like an end boss.

I am glad for the issues he states because I had them too.
I would say he was more positive about this game than I was which is unusually though.
Bigger really DOES NOT mean better though.

The little bit about wanting to die after reading his last weblog post was a bit jarring and sad. I hope the little guy is holding up well. No noose around his neck or anything.

Side missions locked off?

Anyone care to elaborate on this? It didn't happen to me.

I enjoyed playing the game, but hunting down all 400 of those damn trophies was a pain in the butt.

Seriously, you'd think if Gotham had the money to wall off a section of the city for a giant prison complex, they would have the money for some basic crime prevention programs.

I'm kinda glad I got Arkham City before this review, most of the time I've picked up a game after the video because that was the first time I heard about it or wasn't sure about it and wanted someone else to give me an opinion (Deus Ex: Human Revolutions!) But I honestly am glad, I got to play the game and come up with my own thoughts and opinions completely free of external influence.

Yeah that might seem a bit silly but when your friend tells you the new game you got is shit, you start to look for all the flaws and stop enjoying the moment. Sir Croshaw and I agreed on a few points, I feel strange especially didn't get enough screen-time but other than that I thought it was damn good.

Bascially, I think Skyrim's going to have a prime contender for my personal game of the year :)

Is it just me or was this video uploaded an hour early? Must've been the daylight savings

Hmm.

I did some of the side missions during the main story line, but finished most afterwards. Especially the one with the not-so-mysterious watcher is supposedly unavailable after the main story line, but I finished it afterwards anyway. I started it during because I accidentally ran into him. Seems that quitting the game and re-loading it pops the dude up in the places he's supposed to be, or something to that effect.

So I'm not entirely sure who is making this particular complaint and why they're making it.

Batman may not buy preowned, but I bet Deadpool does.

Calling you out Yahtzee 100% of the side missions are completable after having beat the game.

Just because you can't find it doesn't mean it can't be done.

For example. I didn't do one side mission until i beat the game and now I have a file that's 100% complete.

So like many others I don't get this complaint. If you need help grasping this concept feel free to flame me then i will tell you where to look and why you are still wrong and giggle like a giddy child.

Other then that there is going to be a 3rd game so I'm sure a lot of villians will get their time to shine in that game.

Since I missed Killer Croc and black mask.

Yearlongjester:

Bascially, I think Skyrim's going to have a prime contender for my personal game of the year :)

It's funny because the last thread I posted in had a poster seriously wound up at the fact that Skyrim fanboys creep into 'every fucking unrelated thread' they can find and praise Skyrim just a little bit more...

Dr_Steve_Brule:
What the

I think he just ran out of things to joke about. Or maybe he doesn't really care about the enviroments which would make him a huge hypocrite. But he allready is so it doesn't really matter.

(mods, he admitted that himself so you can't ban me for that)

I just have to say, WHY DIDN'T THEY HAVE MORE TIME WITH THE MAD HATTER HE WAS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BLOODY MOMENTS IN THIS GAME! Caps lock rage over. WHy would you put him in there if your just going to leave me disappointed.

Tin Man:

Yearlongjester:

It's funny because the last thread I posted in had a poster seriously wound up at the fact that Skyrim fanboys creep into 'every fucking unrelated thread' they can find and praise Skyrim just a little bit more...

Haha, sorry! I wasn't honestly trying to hype up that game, it doesn't need it. I'm just getting really excited for it because its right around the corner. Just Arkham City though? I loved this game. It wasn't perfect, it defiantly had some story issues.

I, like a lot of people I feel, kept wondering how they were going to explain just kidnapping Bruce Wayne and tossing him into the place but they never did. And like I said earlier, REALLY disappointed with how they did Hugo Strange. He has so much potential and they hinted at a lot of aspects of his character, but it fell flat BECAUSE WE NEVER SAW HIM in between Beginning and End.

I mean I was curious about Protocol Ten, but my curiosity dried up because we'd just get Strange going "Protocol Ten will happen in three hours" and I'm slapping titan thugs in the crotch trying to stop Penguin. How do we finally figure out something about it? By the game just doing it, which would've been more effective if we had been given a little more information and had allowed it to be a part of the mystery.

From a story perspective I get it, the whole "Cure" thing takes priority but what if along the way Batman had heard something along the lines of "Protocol Ten is Strange's way to fix Gotham's criminal element." That doesn't give a whole lot of information and keeps us interested in whatever the hell P10 is.

Sorry for ranting, but you guys see my point.

Weird. Maybe it's because I fucking love this game, but it felt like his heart wasn't in it. Like he found some things to pick on, but they don't really hang together in the same compellingly negative way that some of his other videos have.

The Gentleman:
Seriously, you'd think if Gotham had the money to wall off a section of the city for a giant prison complex, they would have the money for some basic crime prevention programs.

They have a crime prevention program. He's called Batman.

Is it my imagination, or is this the first time Yahtzee has EXPLICITLY recommended a game after taking the piss out of it for 5 minutes and having almost nothing good to say about it.

Think the pressure to review mainstream titles is infringing on creativity a little.

Nothing funny, and nothing really constructive. Haven't played the game yet either for myself, although it is sat beside me freshly purchased today - maybe a have a little desire to defend my new purchase?

That said, I have no problem adding the three hits that I do to watch, visit forum and comment to help support originality so here we go:

I think I got caught up on stuff when flying around as Batman two or three times but that's about it. And every time it happened, it was because I screwed up. Not the game's fault. Yes, a lot of the villains felt crammed into the story but it made sense in some ways because this is Arkham City, where all of Batman's villains currently reside. It would be even more stupid for none of these character to make an appearance when so much shit is going down. Finally, I saved about half of the side missions for after I finished the story and perhaps I was just lucky but not a single one of them were locked out after finishing the story. And as for his complaint that the story seems a bit out-there....of course it is...it's a superhero story! Are there any realistic superhero stories?

I think Yahtzee liked this game a lot more than his video let on because he really sounded like he was reaching for complaints and taking minor things and turning them into game-breaking problems. I know he does that in most of his videos but having played and loved this game for well over 30 hours now, I think he really had to try hard to find things to pick apart.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here