Zero Punctuation: Batman: Arkham City

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Oh and by the way, Yahtzee, Gotham does have the money for crime prevention programs but one of the over-arching stories in the Batman universe is that most of the police force is corrupt.

Side missions weren't locked off after you completed the game, it's just that some parts of the story needed to be completed if you got to those parts before you could explore again. I had that problem towards the end.

It's entirely possible to finish everything after the story is over.

By the way, for Perfect Night Day 2, the side missions: If you've done them on the first playthrough but not New Game +, will it hinder your 100%?

I'm a bit disappointed that Yatzhee hasn't commented on the cardboard Halloween costume but otherwise the review was premium as expected.

I liked the Catwoman bit and the fine remark about preowning...

Dutch 924:
Is it just me or was this video uploaded an hour early? Must've been the daylight savings

Yeah, I didn't expect this to be up until 5 minutes. I forget that daylight savings isn't universal, or necessarily the same date everywhere... this confused me... I don't like changes!

OT: Great review, makes me more sure that I will pick this up. I do however still need to finish Arkham Asylum before I can start playing... Hardcore gaming starts December 15th if I am not mistaken...

Great and vid and very true. I love the AC game, just the plot was not very structured or that interesting, maybe thats more to do with the city element that distracts you all the time so your not following the plot properly. The city was huge, but not much to do in it.

I would have preferred a more smarter story based on each of the villains. Some of the side missions were good, but just travel a to b etc Liked all the villains though and how they are represented, just wish their was more substance to the stories with them.

But again, its a great game.

YES!

...that's really all I can think to say. There have only been one or two occasions when I disagree with Yahtzee, and this isn't one of them. Awesome writing as usual, and the visuals were hilarious!

radioactive lemur:
Is it my imagination, or is this the first time Yahtzee has EXPLICITLY recommended a game after taking the piss out of it for 5 minutes and having almost nothing good to say about it.

He did say it kept pretty much everything he liked about Arkham Asylum. I think in an earlier video he said if he doesn't specifically nag about some aspect of a game, you can probably assume it's fine. I remember Yahtzee spent most of his Assassin's Creed 2 video mocking the game, and had to clarify in Extra Punctuation that he actually liked it.

Bobic:

The Gentleman:
Seriously, you'd think if Gotham had the money to wall off a section of the city for a giant prison complex, they would have the money for some basic crime prevention programs.

They have a crime prevention program. He's called Batman.

Are you kidding? Batman TOTALLY buys pre-owned. How do you think he got so rich?

Falseprophet:

Bobic:

The Gentleman:
Seriously, you'd think if Gotham had the money to wall off a section of the city for a giant prison complex, they would have the money for some basic crime prevention programs.

They have a crime prevention program. He's called Batman.

The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available. But I must know what it is! Is it that grab from that one frank miller (at least I think it's him)comic of 'I'm the Goddamn Batman!'

Can't wait for you to crack jokes about Uncharted 3.

Bobic:

The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available. But I must know what it is! Is it that grab from that one frank miller (at least I think it's him)comic of 'I'm the Goddamn Batman!'

Not exactly--it's a Law and Order parody image. Try the link directly: http://www.nerdnirvana.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/goddamn-batman.jpg

Falseprophet:

Bobic:

Not exactly--it's a Law and Order parody image. Try the link directly: http://www.nerdnirvana.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/goddamn-batman.jpg

Nope, still not working. Though a google search of 'Batman Law and order' did work. 'twas pretty funny.

Here's a link for those interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/digital_3rd_eye/3399173359/

I enjoyed this review very much like I do most ZPs with the exception of the waffle about used games. I overlook alot of things in your reviews as 'personal taste' or 'being humerous' or 'deliberately baiting annoying fanboys' but I can't let this one slide without comment.

Sorry but that's just bloody cheek. Yahtzee, I love your work but for someone who has a job that provides him with all the games he can eat without having to pay for them to dare to take the 'used games are the devil' line.... the NERVE man... bad form.

I cant believe I'm actually about to say this but I completely agree with Jim Sterling on this issue...

And as for 'Batman doesn't buy used games'... Batman is a billionaire the last time I checked and is unlikely to find himself unable to afford all the games he would like to play...

Just for the record I actually do buy pretty much all my games new.

daxterx2005:

MrDeckard:

God I hope he trashes Arkham City next week...

Same, not because I dislike the game, because I want to see batman themed pictures thru out the review :)

Ask and you shall receive :)

I didn't have side missions get locked off, but Deadshot and Hush would sometimes take an obnoxiously long time to murder someone new.

Disappointed Calendar Man just tells a short story.

I thought detective mode was handled much better in City. There is more division between what you see in each mode. Even on predator maps I think I spent about 30-40% of the time in regular plain-o-vision.

I know it was a great excuse to get paid to play a game you wanted to play (I can't play it yet because the industry still hates the PC), but this week's episode was just not very funny. I sniggered at the thought of Catwoman's concussions, but the meat of this one seemed to be 'look at my review of Arkham Asylum'.

Here's hoping that the next game you review is overhyped and disappointing.

The only game I REALLY wanted Yahtzee to review, he never did. Dark Messiah. Without a doubt the best game I've ever played. Great story, great gameplay and extremely addictive.

I actually kinda liked the Catwoman bits (and her "bits" too).

Sure she doesn't flow aswell as Bats when it comes to traversing the environment, but it was nice to play as someone fun-loving as opposed to brooding Bruce.

Nice video, glad to see us agreeing on a lot of things, but I didn't experience that side mission thing, can anyone explain exactly which side missions were locked out?

I didn't know side missions got locked out... I mean, I only started most of them after finishing the main quest, had nothing to do with Zsasz, Deadshot or 'the Watcher' until after completion. You're right about the boss fights though, Freeze in particular stands out as one of the greatest bosses of all time.
Also, is it really really worth getting the Catwoman DLC? 'Cos I do have a new copy of the game on 360, and therefore the code for the DLC, but I don't have XBox Live or an internet connection from my XBox. I mean, I'm almost willing to shell out for a networker thingy just so I can watch Catwoman running a lot, but... hm.

President Bagel:
It's always good to buy games new, and help support the developers.

Indeed but it's hard to support a 60 dollar price tag on a video game. I'm kinda glad I don't buy the triple A titles that try to juke you if you buy something pre-owned. How terrible, I have a budget!

bahumat42:

Turtleboy1017:
I preordered Asylum on PC, will Catwoman be available to me too?

I'm thinking of just waiting for steam to make this thing super cheap and buying Saints Row 3 instead...

catwoman is a NEW bonus. Any first hand copy will have her, the other ones like robin, and nightwing and the costumes are pre-order. (depending who sucked your wallet)

hopes this clears things up.

I walked into my game store, bought a new copy, not pre-orderd or anything, and Catwomen AND robin codes

Really enjoyed the game, and everything but the thing that stood out for me was the New Game+.
I thought it would have just been, you do the story with all your old gadgets, but everything is harder. Tougher enemies, no counter flash and bosses are a lot more fun and harder.
Mr Freeze on Game+ took me ages. Had to figure out 10 ways to hit him instead of 5.

The 'Batman and the Argonauts' joke was brilliant. Definitely one of his best.

Eh, most of these nitpicks are from Yahtzee's own lack of skill at the game. They're sort of valid but, yeah, he's mostly wrong here.

Thorough review which I was looking forward seeing.Thank you for the chuckles that made my day a little funnier.

I can't wait to get my hands on this on PC.

I'll definitely get this game for PC. Even Yahtzee couldn't tear Batman a new one.

Zac Smith:

bahumat42:

Turtleboy1017:
I preordered Asylum on PC, will Catwoman be available to me too?

I'm thinking of just waiting for steam to make this thing super cheap and buying Saints Row 3 instead...

catwoman is a NEW bonus. Any first hand copy will have her, the other ones like robin, and nightwing and the costumes are pre-order. (depending who sucked your wallet)

hopes this clears things up.

I walked into my game store, bought a new copy, not pre-orderd or anything, and Catwomen AND robin codes

well thats the robin edition (its on the cover) but they are limited in number.

Haha. This is actually like a non-comedic review (while at the same time still being so) since it's very critical despite the constant reminder that it's still a good game regardless... a lot more actually.

As for me, I think they improved upon Asylum in many ways. Sure the plot is somewhat more cluttered but at least it had more character and emotional weight to it. But it was the variety that really helped this time around.

Although could someone tell me which side mission gets locked after completion?

radioactive lemur:
Is it my imagination, or is this the first time Yahtzee has EXPLICITLY recommended a game after taking the piss out of it for 5 minutes and having almost nothing good to say about it.

Pretty much.

Looks like the Rocksteady got the Mad Hatter to hypnotise Yahtzee into being down on people who buy used games. Never thought I would see Yahtzee being an industry apologist and sticking for their crap. Just goes to show never say never...

The only reason this game will do well in new sales is because it is a good game, full stop.

Electric Alpaca:
Think the pressure to review mainstream titles is infringing on creativity a little.

Nothing funny, and nothing really constructive. Haven't played the game yet either for myself, although it is sat beside me freshly purchased today - maybe a have a little desire to defend my new purchase?

That said, I have no problem adding the three hits that I do to watch, visit forum and comment to help support originality so here we go:

Hmmm, i actually laughed pretty hard when he got on catwomans way of moving around. but hey, thats just me.

snappydog:
I didn't know side missions got locked out... I mean, I only started most of them after finishing the main quest, had nothing to do with Zsasz, Deadshot or 'the Watcher' until after completion. You're right about the boss fights though, Freeze in particular stands out as one of the greatest bosses of all time.
Also, is it really really worth getting the Catwoman DLC? 'Cos I do have a new copy of the game on 360, and therefore the code for the DLC, but I don't have XBox Live or an internet connection from my XBox. I mean, I'm almost willing to shell out for a networker thingy just so I can watch Catwoman running a lot, but... hm.

I wouldn't bother with a network thingy, but if you can haul your 360 to your computer room it shouldn't be to hard to just plug it into your ethernet and download catwoman. It would be worth at least that little bit of work.

I still haven't beaten Asylum yet. Besides I'm holding out for the PC version, not that I can afford it. Does anyone want to donate to the canadamus_prime games fund? (that's a joke mods, so chill)

Is it bad that I still found Yahtzee's doodle of Catwoman to be fairly attractive?

OK, I laughed loud with the Riddler with the construction workers with grapples and Catwoman staining all the wall with her face. Nice review!

And of course the boss battles were better. They could only get worse if you substituted Batman with a pinball and the bosses as flippers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here