The Big Picture: Science!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Science!

Hey, science guys, we need you to answer a few questions.

Watch Video

maybe you should call Dr Insano, he seems like he'd do all that
also, while you're at it, get an extra ticket to the moon for Bill O'Reilly

The problem with your to your Space travel program is pretty much the same reason why we don't have all the other stuff

Short sighted douche nozzles we have to share the planet with

Actually, they totally already have your jet pack all ready for you Bob. Do you have their $100,000?

Well Bob, someone has come up with a jetpack. You just need peroxide and silver to fuel it:
http://www.facebook.com/rocketman

And why go for the green alien chicks when the blue ones are so much hotter? http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4550004198_8da8482dcd_o.jpg

The meat "problem" is not a science problem, it's a capitalism problem. Also the hunger in Africa is a capitalism problem (with more deep historical implications). We the 7 billion humans already produce more food than we actually need.

Funniest one you've done. Having considered all the possibilities and ramifications of the issue and pontificated at length on the socio-economical impacts that could result, I too must ask:
Where's my jetpack?

Maybe you should change the title of this show from The Big Picture to The Big Soapbox.

Wow... This episode was AWFUL! Bob really came off as a big dick in this episode. I mean, there was some stuff in the middle, but most of it made me want to punch Bob for being so immature about these things.

I'm actually a 'space guy' and in my daily work the biggest problem is that not all those in 'team science' are in it for this reason :\ Seriously, a surprising number of people is in it for the paycheck and the tax benefits (I train astronauts).
Depressing? I know...

But I will consider your input for the next discussion ;)

Hate to say it, but the reason we're still on Earth is because any type of bacteria on another planet would kill everyone it touched, most likely.

Also, about jetpacks, how are you going to solve the problem of having your pants and underpants burned off?

I don't know about the other Animal Rights Groups but PETA does have some prize money set aside for people who can make cultured meat.

I don't think it's a big enough sum of prize money to get the ball rolling, but it's something.

We already have jetpacks. That one that was in the James Bond movie, I think that was the real thing. They did an NCIS episode on it. They exist. It's just no one wants you to have one, for the same reason that you want to be the only one who has one.

And, that thing about going to Mars and all that, I really don't see how tricking people into space travel is going to give us aliens. I think tricking us into believing in aliens has given us space travel.

I know this is just in good fun, but... science is... kind of diametrically opposed to lying. Falsifying data is one of the worst things you can do. Hell, we all make mistakes and get bad data that way perhaps, but lying? No can do, lest we end up like the cdesign proponentsists.

hmm a bear size hamster... sounds awesome, also wheres my jetpack?

MB202:
Also, about jetpacks, how are you going to solve the problem of having your pants and underpants burned off?

Not all Jetpacks need to shoot fire, just something that can provide lift.

Point 2. Meat. Thanks Bob, have been saying this for years. Yes, I don't eat meat now, but 'meat substitutes'. But would so go back to eating meat if this was done.

And it solves two issues, not having to kill animals for meat and not having to torture as many animals for medical testing. Only the most fundamental animal rights person would still have a problem after this was invented...

Point 3. Space. So true...

Overall great episode.

I would be asking the same things as you Bob, but I was hit with the despair of dreamless capitalism several years ago. And by dreamless I mean the only dream is to have money and to make enough incremental steps to make it seem like we are progressing, but not enough to make EVERYONE pissed off that it's all about money.

Casual Shinji:
Maybe you should change the title of this show from The Big Picture to The Big Soapbox.

Someone needs to watch the first episode again.

No, Bob. That was not fun and you should not do it again.

1: MovieBob forgot to include the movie.
2: Back to including your liberal politics, on a website called "The Escapist". Irony fail.
3: I hope this episode was some kind of secret satire because otherwise it is a staggering display of ignorance and thoughtless mouth noise.

Google "Frankenfood". Good luck marketing THAT to people or convincing a grocery store to stock it. You think "Corn Sugar" creates a backlash? Wait till you wheel out the vat meat. Never mind the cost per pound to produce vat meat vs the same for real meat.

Here's an idea. Take your politics, put it on your jetpack, fly it to the moon with promises of gold, and leave it there.

the reason people dont grow meat is because there are pleanty of meat on the planet already, and its exspensive and time consuming.

MUST HAVE HAMBEAR!!!!

Seriously though, I want the bear the size of a hamster.

LordOmnit:
I would be asking the same things as you Bob, but I was hit with the despair of dreamless capitalism several years ago. And by dreamless I mean the only dream is to have money and to make enough incremental steps to make it seem like we are progressing, but not enough to make EVERYONE pissed off that it's all about money.

Casual Shinji:

Someone needs to watch the first episode again.

Oh no, please not again.

Great episode Bob! Kind of like the Junk Drawer only with the science theme. Maybe we can get another one of these down the line? Also, a bear the size of a hamster would be the kind of pet that sells like a furby. I would want a couple but the thing to worry about would be the diet. I don't want to wake up with a partially chewed off anything.

...kind of surprised by the number of negative posts here...it's almost as though they forgot that this is an opinion show.

...i'm not sure what to make of this... i do wanna a jet pack, and a hamster the size of a bear would be awesome. for a little while at least. The cultured meat thing... ehhh... mybe it's just because i'm from texas, but somehow lab grown steaks just don't appease my appetite. I don't know, i'm omnivorous and really like meats. don't know i probably wouldn't know or be able to tell the difference but it's still something that kinda struck me as wrong.

I want a pot bellied elephant. I'd pay $50 for one!

The cultured meat is all well and good, but instead of having the dirty, emaciated, hippies protesting Mc Ribs, you'd have massive christian organizations telling them to stop playing God. Personally, I think the hippies are less bothersome and easier get around since they're all sickly and hungry from never eating actual food.

haha! jet pack is cool... but I'd rather have a hover car(actually, I want my mini-van to hover)... it's not just ME flying, it's ME + THE FAMILY flying to the beach avoiding all the traffic, and find the parking spot and just land the sucker down, but I probably need a weaponized anti-theft system built in, or "Bat-Mobio lock down"...um...

I agreed to ditch Glen Beck on moon... but just ditching him is not good enough, give him a cable TV with ONLY (video)GAME CHANNEL!!! MUAHAHAHAHAH!!!~~~~

I ALSO want a space Gal... just not green though... I think color... matters... I wouldn't mind elf ear, or antenna though... but please, no bug/furry/bold/lizard/xenomorph things... ewww...

We need some animals for stuff other than meat; wool, milk. Cost of these would massively increase if no-one wanted the meat as well. Animals useful for just their meat would become borderline extinct, to quote a 'that mitchell and webb look' sketch: "pigs are expensive, pink and annoying but they're also delicious which is why we breed so many of them, there might be more people bears if more people wanted one for breakfast"

Over the millenia, we've bred cows to need to eat colossal amounts of grain to survive. If we stopped farming cows, they'd starve to death because nobody would be feeding them anymore. The cows need us now.

hurricanejbb:
And why go for the green alien chicks when the blue ones are so much hotter? http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4550004198_8da8482dcd_o.jpg

You've really got to give credit to Bioware's art team that I can actually tell the asari apart. That is Liara, right?

Father Time:

MB202:

Not all Jetpacks need to shoot fire, just something that can provide lift.

How's that work?

Nicolaus99:

Google "Frankenfood". Good luck marketing THAT to people or convincing a grocery store to stock it.

He already did, and made a video about it. I suggest that you check his archives.

Where is that first jetpack image from? 0:32

MB202:
Wow... This episode was AWFUL! Bob really came off as a big dick in this episode. I mean, there was some stuff in the middle, but most of it made me want to punch Bob for being so immature about these things.

not sure if trolling.....

You are never going into space.
You will never own a jet pack.
Your car will never fly.
HIV will not be cured in your lifetime.
Cancer will not be cured in your lifetime.
The common cold will not be cured in your lifetime.
Don't these things bother you?

Suicide is the third biggest killer of teenagers in the United States.
In 1999 more people in America died from suicide than from homicide.
Do you think about this?

As anyone who ever read MyDeathSpace.com for any period of time know, the leading cause of death in America is automobile accident. This is generally interpolated into a number placed under the heading "accidental death." When the operation of cars is the leading cause of loss of life I'm not entirely sure how it comes under the term "accidental death." It wasn't a fucking accident, it was done by someone with a car. It's 2007 and we don't know how to operate cars without killing people. It's not a fucking accident if it was caused by someone getting into a one-ton metal bullet that cannot be operated with complete control at all times.

In Europe in 2004, 13000 kids - persons under the age of fourteen -- died due to poor water. It's 2007 and the society does not yet understand how to operate water.

Are you thinking about this now?

People keep asking me what DOKTOR SLEEPLESS is about. This is what it's about.

Someone stole your future. Don't you ever wonder who?

-Warren Ellis on the DOKTOR SLEEPLESS comic. From: http://warren-ellis.livejournal.com/92053.html

I think he says it all.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or