Critical Miss: A Tale of Two Hedgehogs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So true... just... so true... *Sigh*

Sonic will always have special place in my heart. I never hated 3D Sonic, but can see how I forgave it for flaws would not have for other titles.

Welcome back to greatness buddy, knew had it in you.

Young Erin is adorable. I was one of those that stopped playing after Sonic went 3D. I'll be picking up Generations later on, though. Too many good games coming out/already out. Nice to hear that it is very good.

Here Sonic, you've earned it.

Now let us hope that Sega can keep this up. Really, if the next Sonic game sucks ass then there will probably be a riot or something.

I will pick this game up for sure.

I too, grew up with Sonic on the Megadrive.

The Labyrinth Zone still haunts my dreams...

DVS BSTrD:
Here Sonic, you've earned it.

Not you next-gen Sonic!!!

Also, why are her pets proportional to her age? Also, again, what other pets has she had?

Ha... your mention of the pink goop gave me a flashback to the alternate history storylines in the UK sonic comics where things get rather nasty for Tails thanks to that stuff...

I gave up after the Adventure series. You finally find a way to actually fit a cinematic story into the franchise, and then you go and mess it up after the second one.

...I'm sure the 4Kids dub of Sonic X had SOMETHING to do with it <.<;;;

What really turned me off of the modern Sonic is the rampant bestiality:

Nope, sorry, I fit precisely into the nostalgia demographic for this game, and I have Sonics 1,2 and 4.1 on my 360 hard drive right now, but playing the demo for this game put me right off it. I found myself running into everything, because the sheer bright HD mess of colours means I just couldn't see a god damn thing, and the modern levels control like ass.

I guess I'm the only one though *shrug*

Im going to say it, cause someone has to. Old sonic isnt good. The first one feels dated, the second one improves it, but the next three feel tacked on.

I know (older) people prefer those games but they just dont hold up as well as say mario games.
Now if you dont mind Im going to go play adventure battle 2. The best sonic game in the world.

Tin Man:
Nope, sorry, I fit precisely into the nostalgia demographic for this game, and I have Sonics 1,2 and 4.1 on my 360 hard drive right now, but playing the demo for this game put me right off it. I found myself running into everything, because the sheer bright HD mess of colours means I just couldn't see a god damn thing, and the modern levels control like ass.

I guess I'm the only one though *shrug*

You're not alone, I feel the same way. I've beaten the game with 4 different controllers and Sonic just does not feel right with any of them. There's always a slight delay in his jumping or boosting or spindashing and it completely throws me off when playing. And the backgrounds are way too busy in the sidescrolling sections. The game looks very nice, but it does not play like classic or Adventure-era Sonic. Now, this might be because I haven't played any Sonic games after Heroes for any long amount of time, but I don't know where they got this control scheme.

Carter's right, though. It's really unfortunate that it's released during blockbuster season. I will get this game.
Right after I'm done with Skyrim. Which will probably be in 3-4 months

Aw, young Erin's soo cute!!
I'm one of those more recent Sonic fans, and I find both versions just fine. That said, I share the plight of all those Sonic fans and for their, and SEGA's sake, I just hope the next game isn't crap.

I've been curious though, what team developed Sonic Generations?

Starnerf:

You're not alone, I feel the same way. I've beaten the game with 4 different controllers and Sonic just does not feel right with any of them. There's always a slight delay in his jumping or boosting or spindashing and it completely throws me off when playing. And the backgrounds are way too busy in the sidescrolling sections. The game looks very nice, but it does not play like classic or Adventure-era Sonic. Now, this might be because I haven't played any Sonic games after Heroes for any long amount of time, but I don't know where they got this control scheme.

Nice to know I'm not the only one! I found what little I played a mad frustration because while the 3d levels felt as awkward as ever, I thought Sonic 4 handled really well. Putting that exact game, minus the homing jump, and running the original level designs through it, would've been enough for me to pick up a bargain bin sale I think...

Oh well, I imagine I'll run out of things to play by next August, and thats a dry season usually anyway, so I may pick generations up then for some achievement reaming =p

The first two Sonic games are the only Sonic games I've played, so maybe I should get this one.

Tin Man:

Starnerf:

Nice to know I'm not the only one! I found what little I played a mad frustration because while the 3d levels felt as awkward as ever, I thought Sonic 4 handled really well. Putting that exact game, minus the homing jump, and running the original level designs through it, would've been enough for me to pick up a bargain bin sale I think...

Oh well, I imagine I'll run out of things to play by next August, and thats a dry season usually anyway, so I may pick generations up then for some achievement reaming =p

I have no idea if it's an issue with the full game or not, but I found with the demo that the controls lagged a considerable amount more while in HD than on a standard definition television for the PS3 version. Once I was trying the game with my normal AV cable on a cheap, seven year old telly the controls were almost perfect. If that holds true for the full game, sounds like something they need to patch right quick. (The PC version controls perfectly as well, assuming you have the hardware to run it, with a game-pad hooked up.)

OT: Well, I said all I can really say about the game (unless I want to think long and hard about it) in the long user review I posted yesterday, so I'll just have to say I'm glad other people are thinking it's good as well.

Honestly, I still prefer the modern sonic. I find the gameplay better and more fun. Classic Sonic isn't bad at all, but plays a little clunky by comparison and I just don't have fun with that. Plus, the music has gotten better, imo.

Generations, great game. Best one in a while.

Now if only Classic Sonic wasn't actually just Modern 2D Sonic from junk like Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Rush in disguise. Thank you, SEGA, for putting out a demo and saving me $60 or however much you were charging for this.

Talkin' bout my generation :D

I'm sorry, couldn't resist a who joke :P

I guess I'm in a weird minority of people who grew up with the Mega Drive, loved Sonic 1-3 and has a lot of nostalgia for that era, and yet I still like the new Sonic design and the 3D gameplay.

I was always a console generation or so behind, so while Sonic is older than I am by a year, I had a Mega Drive instead of a PlayStation for a long time, and only as I was getting older did I see Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast. Seeing that Sonic had changed wasn't a bad thing for me then, because he was changing right alongside me, so I only ended up loving the series more.

Generations is the pinnacle of both sides of Sonic that I've grown up with. Such a great game.

As a guy who grew up with the SNES, I seriously want to get this game. When I had the 360, I bought the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, out of curiosity for the Genesis games I missed back then and because it was pretty cheap. I was troughfully impressed with the Genesis era of Sonic, I simply loved them, then I just became an instant fan of Sonic.

Even if I didn't grew up with Sonic, I've played enough Sonic games to recognize most of the environments and "get" most of the jokes. I don't hate 3D Sonic, heck, I just played through Sonic Colors recently, but it'll be interesting how both interact with kinda different personallities.

Whoa the explanation is exactly how i was.

The first sonic on the sega genesis was the first game i owned, then got all the other genesis ones. Only other ones i got was sonic adventure (pretty good), sonic adventure 2 (not so good but meh), then i got sonic heroes. I havent even touched one since! My brother played sonic unleashed and by the looks of it it's laughably bad.

I might be getting generations though. Hearing nothing but good things!

I never did play much Sonic growing up, so I've been thinking about playing the older games (maybe download from Arcade) and then trying out Generations :] I know two of my friends are huge Sonic fans

I played the demo, and it made me actually want to play a Sonic game for the first time since 12 minutes on my cousins Sega, way back when.

Yeah... i'm already having trouble fixing my finances to afford the games i want this month so i won't jump at this.

For some reason i wasn't into the Sonic games back then, and while i've had fun with them later on i doubt i'll think it's worth a first day buy.

Also, i'm curious about the quality of the musical content. I've always loved the songs Crush 40 made for the games, but they seem to have falled away on the later titles.

SilverUchiha:
Honestly, I still prefer the modern sonic. I find the gameplay better and more fun. Classic Sonic isn't bad at all, but plays a little clunky by comparison and I just don't have fun with that. Plus, the music has gotten better, imo.

Generations, great game. Best one in a while.

As someone who's been playing Sonic games since the Genesis, I agree.

Except for the music. Not a fan of the heavy use of flutes. Specifically for Chemical Plant Zone.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I had enjoyed Super Mario Brothers when I was little, but Sonic 1 is THE game that turned me into a gamer. The 3D Sonic games just never had that spark for me.

bleachigo10:
Now let us hope that Sega can keep this up. Really, if the next Sonic game sucks ass then there will probably be a riot or something.

Sega's Building will be burned to the fucking ground if that happens.
I know it.

I was raised on the hedgehog's red plumbing rival, so I missed the "golden age", but I did play Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Heroes on the Gamecube, and did play the earlier games after that. I fucking LOVED SA2 as a kid. Area 1 was a nice thowback and I enjoyed it, but my first "FUCK YEAH!" moment was right before you fought the giant robot from the Death Egg, Robotnik starts talking and his theme music from SA2 starts playing (my favorite track from that game).

Some great memories from my childhood came back with Speed Highway, City Escape and the battles against Shadow and Perfect Chaos. As for Heroes onward: I didn't HATE Heroes, but it was just 'meh' to me. And I was amused that they didn't include anything from Shadow the Hedgehog in this game (that was the game that made me quit Sonic for a while).

Okay how many people actually gave modern sonic a chance. From all I ever see everywhere a lot of people hate for the sake of hate, and then re hash points from people actually did play, genuinly hated and gave reasons for it. I'm not trolling here, I'm asking a question.

I never played 3D Sonic, so my first response to Modern was, "HOLY ******** ****, I'M GONNA DIE! THIS IS ****** AWESOME!...wait...WHY IS THERE A ******* KILLER TRUCK CHASING AFTER ME?!"

Generations seems good (played the demo).

I was a huge Sonic fan. I zoned out after all the stupid side characters were introduced (Bigs the Cat? Creamy the Rabbit? A... bat lady with cleavage?)

Old school Sonic shuts up and gets stuff done. Yeah. That's what I like best.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here