Zero Punctuation: Battlefield 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Why yes, the single player is terrible and almost completely irrelevant.

Absolutely no one buys Battlefield games for the single player. You're probably the only person on the planet who even played it Yahtzee. Review the multiplayer or just don't bother. This is like reviewing Counter-Strike and saying it's no fun to play offline with bots.

Another great review Mr.Croshaw.

Was looking forward to this game and I bought it as well and I'm playing through the campaign after a few brief hours of multiplayer.

I haven't seen a more restrictive "modern shooter" out there,telling me to hurry up when instead I have to wait for the npc with the "follow" sign over his head to move and open the door.Really annoying.

OT: It already been well known that the BF3 campaign is more scripted than MW3 one and it barely pulls on your heartstrings like the CoD campaigns.At least the multiplayer is there to carry the weight of the game like all Battlefield titles.

ph0b0s123:
If he had not done the same thing with Bad Company 2, where EA did not make this statement, then I would have been more inclined to let it go. This is obviously a clutching at straws excuse not to talk about the multi-player part that anyone who has followed his reviews could have (and in my case did) predict.

Well... yeah. It's been well documented that Yahtzee hates multiplayer. Whether or not he wants to include that aspect of the game in his review is entirely his discretion. It's the same logic as someone not talking about unlockable concept art in a review.

ph0b0s123:
As I predicted here some weeks ago, no mention of the multi player game which is the main point of the Battlefield series. The justification for this by Yahtzee was pretty laughable.

The bit complaining about not being able to fly a plane and that the engine would be good for a flight sim, would been very funny if that was not precisely what happens in the multiplayer game.

Yahtzee should just recuse himself from reviewing battlefield games if he is only capable of reviewing at most half the game. I have an excuse for not reviewing it as well. Blame the spyware you would have had to have loaded to play the best version on the PC. That could have been quite funny....

Excludos:
While you are entirely entitled to reviewing the singleplayer, it is kind of pointless. The game strength lies in its multiplayer after all, and that should be your entire reasoning for buying this game. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy it for the singleplayer..unless you like bad games.

To quote Yahtzee, from the very video you watched minutes before posting your comment:

"EA recently went on record saying that they considered the single player campaign to be just as important as multiplayer".

Looks like he played a decent proportion of the game. If there's no reason to buy this game for the single player aspect... oh dear!

Undead Dragon King:
Stick with what you're good at, I guess. Just don't act like the entire game is unoriginal just because one part of it is.

So you're saying that the multiplayer does things that haven't been seen in previous Battlefield games, or other FPS games? Not that the game not being original is a bad thing if all you wanted was a newer, shinier Battlefield, but from what I hear there's nothing new on offer in MP as well.

As a single-player gamer that detests even the scent of another player stinking up my glorious gaming sessions, I'm happy Yahtzee reviewed the single-player... and let me know what I'd be getting (or more precisely, not getting).

Then again, military shooters were NEVER my thing... which makes their popularity and prominence all the more disappointing. We need more PaRappa the Rapper and Crazy Taxi games.

It's funny that people complain he didn't review the multiplayer. He NEVER reviews the multiplayer. And every review of Battlefield 3 multiplayer is always going to end the same way: The servers sucked.

BF3 fans need more things to complain about, actually.

This is the first time I will ever say fans need more things to complain about without irony, but they do.

After being absolutely shit on by EA every step of the way up to the game's launch, they have somehow gone submissive and won't bark back at Electronic Arts, and with no one else rant at except MW3 players, I, along with Mr. Croshaw, offer myself up as sacrifice, so these assholes can get their testicles back after buying a game that is treating them like shit, they poor, beaten housewives.

Complain at me, ye ball-less. Drink from the fount of nerd-rage.

cmdrmonkey:
Absolutely no one buys Battlefield games for the single player. You're probably the only person on the planet who even played it Yahtzee. Review the multiplayer or just don't bother. This is like reviewing Counter-Strike and saying it's no fun to play offline with bots.

"EA recently went on record saying that they considered the single player campaign to be just as important as multiplayer".

So if the singleplayer sucked then I can't imagine how bad the multiplayer is, and me and my friends ( the smart ones at least) buy games for singleplayer and the multiplayer is just a bonus, there's no point in paying 60 EUROS for a game filled with a horrible community that will leave the game once the next FPS comes out.

What's his deal with multiplayer anyway? Does he not have any friends? Is he just a total n00b? I get the impression he's terrible at shooters from his reviews.

Me55enger:

Swifteye:

ph0b0s123:
As I predicted some weeks ago no mention of the muti player game which is the most main point the Battled field games..

That wasn't really a prediction Yathzee has gone on record that he doesn't like multilayer. Ever. We all know that's why people buy these particular games but he thinks that's exactly what's wrong with the game.

Out of sheer pseudo-curiosity for your answer, I shall pose this question to you:

What then, was the point of his review? If you have managed to condense his whole opinion of this specific genre?

Comedy. I'm honestly not entirely sure how yathzee picks his reviews. There are times he plain old refuses to review a particular type of game (like starcraft and mario kart) and then there are times where he can be pushed into reviewing a certain type of game by fan request and then there are times where the escapist asks him to review a particular title. He also review duke nukem before it came out and Washington DC which wasn't a video game. He also can't be all that forgiving of a game because the appeal of his videos comes from him being a cynical jerk which means he complains about things that are sometimes pointless and contradictory to his other complaints. And then he's reviewed games without actually doing a decent amount of the gameplay.

In hindsight yathzee is a terrible reviewer. But none of that really matters as the main focus is making it entertaining.

Pendragon9:
I'm sorry to say this, but I'm sickened by anyone who ever bought Battlefield OR Modern Warfare.

You are a cancer on the industry and kindly need to jump off the face of the Earth. I don't care if you think it's fun, but it's not. Your opinion is wrong.

Good day.

By your badges, you seem to be a big fan of Yahtzee. Tell me, was Modern Warfare 1 not worth it's own time? I hate the demographic too, but there are ways to be extreme without being a moron about it.

Look at my post up there. When's the last time you saw something so horrendously pretentious? It's hideous!

I may be a pretentious asshole, but I'm at least SOMEWHAT reasonable about it. Good games are good, bad games are bad.

Me55enger:

Swifteye:

ph0b0s123:
As I predicted some weeks ago no mention of the muti player game which is the most main point the Battled field games..

That wasn't really a prediction Yathzee has gone on record that he doesn't like multilayer. Ever. We all know that's why people buy these particular games but he thinks that's exactly what's wrong with the game.

Out of sheer pseudo-curiosity for your answer, I shall pose this question to you:

What then, was the point of his review? If you have managed to condense his whole opinion of this specific genre?

Didn't he say he doesn't do reviews? Those videos are him expressing his opinion and criticising the game in a funny manner, nothing more.

I'm not sure why Yahtzee is continuing with this whole shooter season 2011 thing, considering we all know that he hates multiplayer which is the main component of most modern shooters.

I like how all the people here, are going on about, how it's multiplayer-focused. A game shouldn't have to excuse itself for it's singleplayer, nor should I, or anyone for that matter, pay $60 for the multiplayer alone. TF2 didn't even cost that much, and it's even gone F2P.

Does anyone remember, when Croshaw reviewed Halo 3, and said a game should be able to stand on singleplayer alone? People rejoiced and threw their top hats into the air in pure joy, but somehow, this is different? Somehow, BF3 is excused?

I's my impression that Yahtzee's position has always been that you can't review multiplayer because it's not a designed thing; its quality depends on the people you're playing with. The developer can't guarantee good multiplayer because you might be playing with a autistic 11 year-old who won't stop screaming "FAG!" into his microphone. Conversely, if you have a good experience, the developer doesn't deserve any of the credit for it.

So Yahtzee only reviews what the developer can control and can receive praise or blame for; the single-player.

cmdrmonkey:
What's his deal with multiplayer anyway? Does he not have any friends? Is he just a total n00b? I get the impression he's terrible at shooters from his reviews.

He's in it more for a good story and gameplay, not doing the same thing over and over like is likely to happen with multiplayer.

It's funny how people only care about his skipping over multiplayer NOW... and on a heavily PC focused game... I'm not insinuating anything, of course...

*sigh*

It's a MUL-TEH-PLAY-HER GE-HM! It's also a PEEE-CEEE GE-HM.

*sigh*

It's like he's thick sometimes or something or wants to make an art out of missing the point, I wouldn't be surprised if he Reviews the likes of Star Wars: The Old Republic, League of Legends or Team Fortress 2 based on their amazing SinglePlayer fun modes of talking to questgivers or shooting bullets into a wall as the lone man on an empty server some day... Or maybe he could move on to board games and play monopoly and chess all by himself and report about what an amazing experience that was?

For the record the multiplayer is half as good as the multiplayer in Bad Company 2.

They decided that building destruction was too fun, so they took that out and replaced it with prone mode, so everyone can enjoy getting shot to pieces by a pair of legs in a skip. Seems to be less tactics than BC2, and instead of outmanoeuvring the enemy we spend our time firing rockets down an alleyway until someone gets bored or lags out. The knife is always worryingly unreliable and you can end up stabbing a nearby fly whilst the enemy turns around and shoots you. The maps are all very samey, they are smaller and feel more empty than the maps in BC2, mostly because you can't really interact with the buildings.

Lacking.this week, but then again I guess there isnt much to say if you didnt play multiplayer.

ph0b0s123:
As I predicted here some weeks ago, no mention of the multi player game which is the main point of the Battlefield series. The justification for this by Yahtzee was pretty laughable.

The bit complaining about not being able to fly a plane and that the engine would be good for a flight sim, would been very funny if that was not precisely what happens in the multiplayer game.

Yahtzee should just recuse himself from reviewing battlefield games if he is only capable of reviewing at most half the game. I have an excuse for not reviewing it as well. Blame the spyware you would have had to have loaded to play the best version on the PC. That could have been quite funny....

Yeah seems he got as far in the single player as i did.Ran into the invisable ramp thing to.Learned had to cover fire then go in.Not to much longer after that went to multiplayer an never looked back.

Multiplayer is 9/10 .

Point of fact if your playing Battelfield 3 an its repetitive to you.Your doing something wrong.Game rewards you for doing difrent things an not camping a spot.You can even swap out class builds tween deaths .Each does feel difrent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JIKrjs5IY
so repetitive...

Shame he didnt understand his scope made him get spoted when hes looking threw .Right direction an its like a flash light to the enemy to shoot at.

Forget the game. I want whatever medication this guy's taking. Giant gelatin monsters sound far more entertaining.

DannyJBeckett:

ph0b0s123:
If he had not done the same thing with Bad Company 2, where EA did not make this statement, then I would have been more inclined to let it go. This is obviously a clutching at straws excuse not to talk about the multi-player part that anyone who has followed his reviews could have (and in my case did) predict.

Well... yeah. It's been well documented that Yahtzee hates multiplayer. Whether or not he wants to include that aspect of the game in his review is entirely his discretion. It's the same logic as someone not talking about unlockable concept art in a review.

In the case of the Battlefield franchise, it would be more along the lines of if a reviewer spent the entire review discussing the concept art, and pretending the actual game part itself didn't exist.

The most important thing I took away from the video.

This critique fulfills the minimum requirements of suck my cock.

ph0b0s123:

Total Biscuit did point this out very well when he talked about the game and single player, if your going to make a single player experience, by god, make it a experience. The point of single player is to prep you for the multiplayer, correct? Well why aren't YOU flying that plane and learning how to use vehicles. If your going to make a single player campaign for a multi player focused one then you BETTER do it well.

Hell, he defined this way back when why he doesn't review the multiplayer portion, you can put so much work into it only for one person to tread on it. The experience will never be the same or as fun all around unless your playing the same exact way each time. Basically, multi player consists of random experience, while single player is crafted to be fun.

Me55enger:

Swifteye:

ph0b0s123:

Because it had a single player. Thats the only answer why he reviewed it, it had a single player.

Dutch 924:
They say a singleplayer is as important as multiplayer. So why is it so bad?

I'm surprised he didn't complain more about the lens flare. I got killed in one part several times because I couldn't see who was shooting me due to a large floating orange glow. When I finally got through I went to see what was causing it: the relection of a street light in a small puddle *shrug*

Thats my justification, I liked this review out of a lot of them.

cmdrmonkey:

Conter Strike doesn't have a offline mode, but I digress, what did he say about this earlier in the video:
"Electronic Art said that single player was as important as multi player."
Which is the key line here, and yes, they did say this.

In total, if your going to make a structured experience for single player, don't hack it toghether. Make it a experience. On a online game, its a luck of dice, you could end up with trolls, or a good experience, but since you won't ALWAYS have a good experience, the creators can take no credit for the fun that you have.

cmdrmonkey:

no, i remember in one review he him getting some people together for a game (SSBB case you wanna go veiw it) but as a general rule of reviewing he just dosen't, "a game must be able to stand on its single player alone" is the rule he works under.

sides, its an online first person shooter -.- whats there to say?

or rather how dose one review it? as the experience will be vastly different for every one, and i guess you could say the some about single player, but there's far more consistency there then the online modes

Abedeus:
Multiplayer-focused series?
REVIEW SINGLE PLAYER ONLY.
Someone make a meme with captcha and so on...

Yahtzee already did an extra-punctuation on multiplayer. For now I won't find it for you.
This was being pushed as being as better than COD4, and even the multiplayer obsessees admit that the single player campaign falls on its face.

I would dare claim the the market for single player games is much larger than the multiplayer exclusive/focused market (outside of F2P/MMORPGs). A lot of wealth and hype was poured into this game. That can't be made back on multiplayer alone.

{stirs the ashes with the toe of his boot)

Yup. About what I expected. Some good lines in this review tho. Sad to say, I was kind of hoping that he reviewed Uncharted 3 instead. I'm honestly interested to see his take on it, control issues aside. I know he has a mild dislike for the earlier iterations, but I think this one might be a little different, so...

Abedeus:
Multiplayer-focused series?

REVIEW SINGLE PLAYER ONLY.

Someone make a meme with captcha and so on...

You mean like this?
http://memegenerator.net/Yahtzee/caption

Aprilgold:
Conter Strike doesn't have a offline mode,

Nor did Battlefield up until a couple years ago. Which is why nobody cares and doesn't want to hear about it.

Aprilgold:
but I digress, what did he say about this earlier in the video:

Of course they said that, they're trying to pull in extra sales from the Call of Duty franchise by throwing in a half-assed knock off campaign. It's just typical marketing bullshit.

Overall, the vast majority of people who buy Battlefield games have probably never even played the campaign mode, if they even know it has one (considering that older BF games "campaign" was just offline maps with bots.)

KelsieKatt:

Aprilgold:
Conter Strike doesn't have a offline mode,

Nor did Battlefield up until a couple years ago. Which is why nobody cares and doesn't want to hear about it.

Aprilgold:
but I digress, what did he say about this earlier in the video:

Of course they said that, they're trying to pull in extra sales from the Call of Duty franchise by throwing in a half-assed knock off campaign. It's just typical marketing bullshit.

Overall, the vast majority of people who buy Battlefield games have probably never even played the campaign mode, if they even know it has one (considering that older BF games "campaign" was just offline maps with bots.)

And right there is the smoke. Its a multiplayer game that threw in a badly made single player, he is complaining about the single player because they decided to put that in there.

Single Player = STRUCTURED FOR MOST FUN!
Multi Player = Roll a D20 and we'll see how good your experience is.

Multi player is random, you will never, EVER have the same experience twice, this ALSO means its more likely to get shitty experiences, and the devs can't take credit for good or shit times without it being a structured thing, which it is not.

If the single player point of Battlefield 3 was to prep you for multiplayer, why aren't they teaching you mechanics that could be used in multiplayer.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here