Zero Punctuation: Battlefield 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

to be honest the singleplayer is a frickin snore fest so he really shouldve looked into the multiplayer a bit more. like jumped in a tank or something i dont know.

ph0b0s123:
As I predicted here some weeks ago, no mention of the multi player game which is the main point of the Battlefield series. The justification for this by Yahtzee was pretty laughable.

The bit complaining about not being able to fly a plane and that the engine would be good for a flight sim, would been very funny if that was not precisely what happens in the multiplayer game.

Yahtzee should just recuse himself from reviewing battlefield games if he is only capable of reviewing at most half the game. I have an excuse for not reviewing it as well. Blame the spyware you would have had to have loaded to play the best version on the PC. That could have been quite funny....

Sigh... There was mention of the multiplayer. He said it's repetitive and full of tossers. In short, he didn't enjoy it and didn't play it for long. That's called an opinion. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. And I, for one, agree with it. I can't stomach multiplayer shooters, I fall into a catatonic coma after playing for more than 10 minutes. Just enjoy what you enjoy, there's no need for anyone to validate your preferences for you.

Hah, funny shit but ZP's a lazyass if he's not even giving multiplayer more than 2 fucking seconds especially for this game (which is known only for MP). Sloppy work ZP but still funny, so I'll give it a thumbs up!

Giest4life:
I guess the search for profit inevitably led EA to model itself around Activision's golden-egg-laying duck. My greatest excitement over the release of BF3 and MW3 was Benjamin's review of those games. One down, with one more to go.

Yeah, Battlefield isn't an established franchise already or anything like that.

Frostbite3789:

Giest4life:
I guess the search for profit inevitably led EA to model itself around Activision's golden-egg-laying duck. My greatest excitement over the release of BF3 and MW3 was Benjamin's review of those games. One down, with one more to go.

Yeah, Battlefield isn't an established franchise already or anything like that.

My sarcasm detector Firefox plugin is not working really well. Please chose from the following responses:

Meh, I don't even know why he bothered reviewing this game. Yeah, the sp is pretty boring and bad. It does pretty much everything he doesn't like. So it was obvious from the start to pretty much everyone what he was going to say.
Also, of course EA would say that the sp is just as important, anything else doesn't make sense. If someone would say the truth that it's just a tech demo to show off the pretty new engine and the sole reason of the sp is to get new customers, meaning more money, then he would get fired pretty quickly.

He should just stop reviewing the mp focused games and stick to sp games. Skyrim, now that's a review I'm really looking forward to.

It's completely legitimate to focus on the single player. If they're going to tout that as one of the main features, they had better expect it to come under scrutiny. Too many of these big site reviews just completely ignored it, maybe mentioning it in passing, but it's a large part of the product that they tried to tack on just to match Call of Duty. They should definitely be criticized much more than they have been for it. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

I'm like him, I feel like I've already played every online game to death already and I don't even play them all that often. It's all dumb fun but in the end it's not substantial enough to leave any impact that a well written narrative can achieve.

I got the impression from the single player that it was trying to strike out in a new direction, making you another average Joe instead of a gun toting super human. It felt fresh.
As you can probably tell I really enjoyed the singleplayer.

The multiplayer was disappointing. With the BF2 multiplayer I was hooked straight away and it kept me hooked until I changed my laptop in July, and the only reason I lost interest then is because I couldn't be arsed to reinstall everything (and the clan I was in had gone through a break up while I was away D': ). All the little things in BF3's multiplayer just keep nagging at me and so I've not played it in a week.

People,

This is not a review. Yahtzee doesn't review games, he bashes them. That's What He Does.

OF COURSE he only covered half the game. He does what's FUNNY. There are plenty of writers for this site who will actually do reviews. Read theirs if you want the full story.

Yahtzee is a comic. Not a game reviewer. Stop expecting him to be something he's not.

Excludos:
While you are entirely entitled to reviewing the singleplayer, it is kind of pointless. The game strength lies in its multiplayer after all, and that should be your entire reasoning for buying this game. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy it for the singleplayer..unless you like bad games.

Then why do EA pump huge amounts of time and resources into miltiplayer and then say otherwise?

Yahtzee, you're trying to be funny. We know that.

We also know that you don't like multiplayer. And aren't very good at it to boot.

So why you insist on wasting our and your time reviewing games primarily based on multiplayer which we all know you're either A - Not going to play or B - Hate anyway is beyond me. Why not simply just stick to reviewing games that are more your preferred style? The Dark Souls, Zeldas, Painkillers, Portals ETC.

You'd still find plenty to rip on and plenty to say you like, without wasting a week on a game you'll never even see 90% of.

Last time I'm pre-ordering and buying these kinds of games. Good thing is I'm either gonna get AssCreed, Uncharted 3 or UMvC3 really damn cheap.

Let it also be said that if the servers weren't the barren wastelands they were once BF3 was nearing launch, I'd have stuck with Bad Company 2.

Dexter111:

Abedeus:
Multiplayer-focused series?

REVIEW SINGLE PLAYER ONLY.

Someone make a meme with captcha and so on...

You mean like this?

Thank you, kind Sir, that was beautifully played.

hehheh i had that helecopter problem but it only took 3 goes to complete coz i put the claymores on the entrances :D

Prof. Monkeypox:
The gelatin creature calls him Benjamin?

Is it weird that I'm fixated on that fact?

Well his name is Ben Croshaw so I supose it's a very formal gelatin creature.

The multiplayer alone isn't worth $60 when you can have around the same amount of fun in an MMOFPS for a lot cheaper or free. Especially if you're getting BF3 on Xbox Live.
Some people can't seem to realize that...

YES!

Thank you, Yahtzee, for validating my virulent hatred of Battlefield 3. Let's hope your MW3 review is equally merciless.

I ran into the same invisible wall...ugh

So, what exactly where you supposed to do to get on the osprey? Did you eventually figure it out, or did you just keep playing it until the game let you finish the level and end up not being sure how you did it?

Carnagath:

ph0b0s123:
As I predicted here some weeks ago, no mention of the multi player game which is the main point of the Battlefield series. The justification for this by Yahtzee was pretty laughable.

The bit complaining about not being able to fly a plane and that the engine would be good for a flight sim, would been very funny if that was not precisely what happens in the multiplayer game.

Yahtzee should just recuse himself from reviewing battlefield games if he is only capable of reviewing at most half the game. I have an excuse for not reviewing it as well. Blame the spyware you would have had to have loaded to play the best version on the PC. That could have been quite funny....

Sigh... There was mention of the multiplayer. He said it's repetitive and full of tossers. In short, he didn't enjoy it and didn't play it for long. That's called an opinion. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. And I, for one, agree with it. I can't stomach multiplayer shooters, I fall into a catatonic coma after playing for more than 10 minutes. Just enjoy what you enjoy, there's no need for anyone to validate your preferences for you.

Sigh, if he (and you) don't like this type of game, don't review it. That was the core of my point.

BF3 singleplayer was the biggest pile of bollocks since Black ops, and at least that didnt have a quicktime event where you fight a fucking rat. They even had the complete loss of mind to put them in the co-op missions.

The multiplayer on the other hand is pretty good, though not without it's flaws. The UI was designed by a group of talentless bastards and the maps are generally pretty dull and poorly designed. Also what's with the dumbing down for consoles, they removed half of the tactical content which made BF2 such a great game.

mjc0961:
So you're saying that the multiplayer does things that haven't been seen in previous Battlefield games, or other FPS games?

While the general layout of the multiplayer is nothing groundbreaking, you don't need to be groundbreaking to be original. I havn't played it myself, but I've heard that the unlockable vehicle upgrades, use of mobile weapon bipods in any potental environment, and weapon-mounted flashlights casting disorienting lens flare at enemy players are all at least relatively new. I'm sure there are other changes too. These are small changes, I know, but it shows that least some creative thought has gone into this game, in stark contrast to Yahtzee saying that the game doesn't have an original thought of its own.

The message I wanted to send was that Yahtzee shouldn't form the entire basis for multiplayer from playing for a couple minutes and getting shot a few times without trying at least some of the aspects of it.

We meet again... invisible wall. My arch enemy in all video games. Darn you for making it confusing and impossible for me to get somewhere I need to rather then merely trying to go off the map.

*Ahem* Really good review Yahtzee. Reason I didn't get Battlefield 3 is because I really didn't like the demo. People miles away could shoot you when you have no clear sight where they're at on the map. Bushes are so well hidden, that it's pretty ridiculous altogether. Not to mention these brown-grey shooters are stacking. We need more fantasy.

P.S: Your popularity makes Wednesdays on here laggy Yahtzee. Quit it!

ph0b0s123:

Carnagath:

ph0b0s123:

Sigh, if he (and you) don't like this type of game, don't review it. That was the core of my point.

You can hate a genre and still give a favorable review if the game does what it aims to do well. I despise sports games but I can still say "Yeah, this game would be sweet if I was a sport's fan" or "No, this game sucks whether or not I'm a sports fan."

Battlefield's story did NOT do well at what it aimed to do, and since EA claimed that the singleplayer was good, that's a valid criticism. The story sucked, the gameplay was meh, the physics were MORE boring than BC2, etc etc. It was "good," but it literally DEFINED the Brown Modern FPS game and was really short to boot.

Besides, Yahtzee is a game reviewer that specializes in ripping games to shreds based on their flaws.

As Yahtzee mention there were a lot of dumb moments in the single player...

One in particular is in the 2nd mission of the game, Your CO tells you to go onto an overpass and grab the LMG there and supress the baddies. Unfortunetly the overpass has these stupid sheet metal barriers that get shot off in about 2 seconds leaving you wide open for many frustrating deaths...

I love how everyone's complaining about him ignoring the multiplayer.

Remember how in his Halo Reach review he said a full-priced game should be able to stand on single player alone? Y'all knew this was coming.

wow.....just wow....that was a bit much,

You cant judge a multiplayer game on it's single player content. the real reason you do that is because you only have a week to play the game, and you boldly refuse to get used to the skill thats involved. What are you trying to really say dude? that games evolve but you refuse to?

heres me take on multiplayer,
The multiplayer side is beautiful when it comes to graphics but its an enormous coverup for whats underneath the Hud. The gameplay is unbalanced and there are a plethora of bugs that need to be addressed in a huge nerfing session. The single player is a glorified movie and you shouldnt ever play it twice. Origin the game delivery service is a bitch to use and you need to hack what you allready bought in these early days of the game's development. Millions of people (literally) where infuriated in the first few days of the PC release due to how difficult it was to set it up and a lot of them are still crying from it. Its basically trying its best to be BF2 with nicer graphics but has no incentive to stop bad players from wailing on the good players.

the single players shit, the multiplayer is splendid on the right modes and its full of tards and bugs.

"minimum level of suck my cock"
I don't know why I loled at that

ph0b0s123:

Carnagath:

ph0b0s123:

This is not like RTS games that he hates on principle so he didn't review Starcraft 2. He does like shooters, or at least some of them. Just not BF3. Why are you finding that so hard to accept?

I think a lot of people are missing the point Yahtzee was trying to make: that if a game can't be bothered to make a good single player experience, then it shouldn't have bothered to put one in at all. The point of having the two modes at all is to give players who like or dislike playing with others the available option. The two camps can be happy without watering down one half to appeal to the other. A good game would have good single and multiplayer modes that cater to both and don't screw with each other.

Not only did EA put in a single player mode without making it actually good, but they had the gall to try passing it off as on par with the multiplayer. If they didn't want to bother with Single player, they should have just made it just multiplayer.

And yes, he's writing off an entire game mode just because the one he's willing to play sucks. But then again, so long as the multiplayer mode functions, it's not really the game itself that's making the multiplayer good. It's the players making their own fun with each other. Complaining that he didn't give the game a fair shake by ignoring multiplayer ignores the fact that reviewing the multiplayer portion in any capacity other than "does this function?" wouldn't be reviewing the game itself. It'd be reviewing the players. And that's not what he's here for.

He reviews the single player because that's part of the game and the fun hinges on how good the game is, not how good the players are. And in that respect, the single player mode (and by extension the game itself) is very poor indeed. If the multiplayer is all that counts, why bother making new multiplayer games at all? This is why Team Fortress 2 is still profitable years later; people enjoy playing with each other, and TF2 is an established place to do that.

Just by curiosity, I haven't played the game, what part was that at the end of the video where he couldn't get inside the aircraft? And why exactly couldn't he do it? I mean, was it really as BS as he said on the video? What was the justification the game gave him? (I suppose this also happenned to other people)

KarmaTheAlligator:

Me55enger:

Swifteye:

That wasn't really a prediction Yathzee has gone on record that he doesn't like multilayer. Ever. We all know that's why people buy these particular games but he thinks that's exactly what's wrong with the game.

Out of sheer pseudo-curiosity for your answer, I shall pose this question to you:

What then, was the point of his review? If you have managed to condense his whole opinion of this specific genre?

Didn't he say he doesn't do reviews? Those videos are him expressing his opinion and criticising the game in a funny manner, nothing more.

Forgive me for reducing this to popular culture definitions, but isn't the expression ofopinion and cirticising rewviewing in its purest form?

or have I found irony in what you suggest?

Anyone notice how the MW3 popup appeared at the most critical part?

Father Tunde:

To quote Yahtzee, from the very video you watched minutes before posting your comment:

"EA recently went on record saying that they considered the single player campaign to be just as important as multiplayer".

Looks like he played a decent proportion of the game. If there's no reason to buy this game for the single player aspect... oh dear!

InterAirplay:

Excludos:
While you are entirely entitled to reviewing the singleplayer, it is kind of pointless. The game strength lies in its multiplayer after all, and that should be your entire reasoning for buying this game. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy it for the singleplayer..unless you like bad games.

Then why do EA pump huge amounts of time and resources into multiplayer and then say otherwise?

Oh, its because they're retarded. I'm sure EA har put a ton of money and time into the singleplayer. And like I mentioned earlier, they came incredibly close to pulling it off. I enjoyed some minor moments of it, but in between every one of those, there where just hours of quick time events and plain boring.

But that doesn't mean the strength isn't in the multiplayer, and always have been. That has always been the entire point of the game after all.

Anyone remember unreal tournament 3? It was a pretty good multiplayer game. However they also dumped a ton of money into the singleplayer..which is probably one of the worst singleplayer games of all times. Still, that doesn't make the entire game any worse, because who buys an unreal tournament game for its singleplayer to begin with?

So like I said. Yahtzee is is entitled to review the singleplayer if he wants, but it doesn't change the fact that the game is about multiplayer, and the value of the game isn't determined by its singleplayer counterpart in the slightest.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Battlefield 3

After a brief respite, Shooter Season 2011 returns with Battlefield 3.

Watch Video

The Multiplayer actually has worse problems if you can believe it.

EVERYTHING has to be unlocked. While this as big a problem for people on the ground shooting each other in the face, since a gun is only so much better with the Red Dot compared to one that doesn't, you need to unlock almost everything for aircraft to.

If your starting the game and you manage to get one of the team's jets, your limited to a machine gun. This makes you completely useless against any target on the ground, but it makes any dog fight basically onesided as well. Since you get the jet's unlocks by destroying things in the jets, you basically can say goodbye to every taking flight since at least one team mate is going to have flares and missles and is going to make that aircraft much better then yours

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here