Saints Row: The Third Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Saints Row: The Third Review

So much to do in Steelport, so little time ...

Read Full Article

Nice character. Strange review.

Greg Tito:
with no lock-on mechanism

YUSH!

BTW Greg, what lost it the half mark? Too many QTE's/pop-ups?

(I've already ordered it, but I can't play it until I finish Nanowrimo. Rewarded deadlines are necessary)

I hadn't given this game a second thought - aside from LoveFilming Saints Row 2 and never playing it I hadn't had any involvement with the series.

Muting this review and then watching what stuff there is to get up to, I've realised the error of my ways. I'll definitely be getting this.

Was that some sort of character voice or something? That was really weird and uncomfortable. Kinda detracted from the review.

I guess I see the appeal of the game, but seems like the hollow kinda fun. Like an old game with alotta crazy mods thrown in.

That review was... Different. It didn't really go well, i'm glad the written part comes with these.

That said, i'll be getting it. This only cements my choice :P

Yeah...I'm not sure it would be wise to do that voice again in a review. There was something a little...off...about it.

Saints Row 3: Gives dicking around a whole new meaning.

And you need some lessons on staying in character Greg. Your thug be whack yo!
PEACE!

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say, I didn't like the voice. I don't think it works well.

All in all though, I don't think I'll be getting this game. Not my type.

The voice thing was a bit weird, I want to hear about the pc version, but I'm assuming because its not mentioned that it doesn't have the problems that saints row 2 had.

Too bad Skyrim left me with too little moolah to get get this one. Great to hear it's still awesome, though.

Love the way this review was done, it actually made me wanna play that game. I probably won't get it though. I don't have a current-gen console and the previous Saints pc port wasn't playable. At all.

Liking the look of the game, and might get it for/after Christmas, but I didn't like this style of reviewing.

Reynaert:
Love the way this review was done, it actually made me wanna play that game. I probably won't get it though. I don't have a current-gen console and the previous Saints pc port wasn't playable. At all.

This version is not a port, pc version for the third is developed in house.

A reminder: People intentionally trying to sound "gangsta" when they're not is nearly unanimously looked down upon, and is therefore an ineffective way to draw interest to the review. I was done after one minute. Don't care about your review enough to tolerate the voice, don't even feel like muting it and continuing, or reading the text portion either. A person who makes that bad a judgement call probably has nothing meaningful or insightful to say anyway.

Very strange review :/

I liked that review.

Hate the "gangsta" culture in general... but I liked that video a lot.

Good work.

I personally thought the review was pretty cool, beats the same format and boring voices of normality.

Reynaert:

It is on Onlive you know lol

Reynaert:

The PC version wasn't ported this time, it was properly developed for PC. And the PC version comes with its own features, like HUD-free recording for sweet youtube vids and TF2 costumes for your saint.

Since I couldn't possibly be more enthused about Saints Row The Third, I had at best lukewarm feelings about this review. New information to be sure but that voice...ugh.

Greg... what was that? You didn't really review anything and you did it in the weirdest voice I have ever heard. It was almost... transcendant. It's like listening to a teenaged quasi-faux-suburban-white-gangsta-wannabe from a wealthy family and too much of dad's money hosting an episode of Cribs, promoting his pretentious house while his disapproving Old Country grandmother glares at him on camera, and he's trying to pretend she isn't there, and the episode keeps getting more and more awkward and tense while the camera lingers on shots of her flaring nostrils and tendons creaking as she rings the handles of her walker, and you're starting to imagine the naggy guilt-storm you have to put up with after the show in order to keep your trust fund.

So... I'm guessing you liked the game, but you said nothing that wasn't already emphasized in the game trailers or brought back from Saint's Row 2. Maybe you're trying to keep most of the suprisies to a minimum, maybe between this an Skyrim you were running late on your review, but there's... nothing here. Nothing about how melee combat feels or if the missions are improved or whether you have to spend all of your time building up respect in mini-games in order to complete missions. Nothing about the graphics or the quality of the music stations or the kind of weapons you can get. Nothing.

How can a game with so many fix'ems get such an empty review, man? It's okay, you can tell us. I don't want an apology or anything, just, what happened to ya, Greg?

I want Saints Row III. I want it now :l

SnakeoilSage:
Greg... what was that? You didn't really review anything and you did it in the weirdest voice I have ever heard. It was almost... transcendant. It's like listening to a teenaged quasi-faux-suburban-white-gangsta-wannabe from a wealthy family and too much of dad's money hosting an episode of Cribs, promoting his pretentious house while his disapproving Old Country grandmother glares at him on camera, and he's trying to pretend she isn't there, and the episode keeps getting more and more awkward and tense while the camera lingers on shots of her flaring nostrils and tendons creaking as she rings the handles of her walker, and you're starting to imagine the naggy guilt-storm you have to put up with after the show in order to keep your trust fund.

So... I'm guessing you liked the game, but you said nothing that wasn't already emphasized in the game trailers or brought back from Saint's Row 2. Maybe you're trying to keep most of the suprisies to a minimum, maybe between this an Skyrim you were running late on your review, but there's... nothing here. Nothing about how melee combat feels or if the missions are improved or whether you have to spend all of your time building up respect in mini-games in order to complete missions. Nothing about the graphics or the quality of the music stations or the kind of weapons you can get. Nothing.

How can a game with so many fix'ems get such an empty review, man? It's okay, you can tell us. I don't want an apology or anything, just, what happened to ya, Greg?

I was trying something new, SnakeOil. I know it's not the standard review, but if you pay attention, you'll see a lot of what I'm talking about is commentary on the game.

If you want the more informative stuff without the character, check out the written review. It's got all of the the things you wanted to me to discuss. The two parts (video and article) are best when consumed together, especially with this review, but with all our reviews.

Greg

I liked the review. A bit different than the usual ones, and that's good.

Greg Tito:

So much to do in Steelport, so little time ...

Do you know how well the PC version of the game runs? Plan on getting it for the PC (maybe, depending on Aussie censorship) and was hoping to get some data on its performance.

Well I thought the review "style" was good Greg. Probably wouldn't work for other games but I think this time it worked.

Already preordered, but that's for the confirmation that this game rocks!

Greg Tito:
I was trying something new, SnakeOil. I know it's not the standard review, but if you pay attention, you'll see a lot of what I'm talking about is commentary on the game.

If you want the more informative stuff without the character, check out the written review. It's got all of the the things you wanted to me to discuss. The two parts (video and article) are best when consumed together, especially with this review, but with all our reviews.

Greg

True enough, but just stick to yourself man. "Shaft O'Mickinley" isn't nearly as cool as Greg Tito, Saint of Steelport, dig it?

Watching that made me feel awkward and embarrassed.

It was like walking in on someone striking poses in front of a mirror while talking to their reflection, and having to watch instead of quietly leaving before they notice your presence so that you both can pretend it never happened.

So, I watch the review video. I read the written review. And I don't know jack about the game.

Are you just saying it's Saints Row 2 all over again? Is PC vehicle handling improved? Is there now any reason to earn money beyond using it to earn more money or change your appearance? Is it worth buying this if you already own SR2 or is it just a cash-in on past fame? Aside from a more user-friendly interface in the smart-phone, does it actually do anything new? Can I finally listen to my own tunes in the car? Has the AI improved since the last iteration? Is the game actually challenging now? I remember SR2 being fun, but without any challenge the fun eventually (and I do mean after a goodly amount of hours) started to feel hollowed-out. If every one of your owned shops resets your threat-level, does police ever impose any kind of challenge?

Kind of a swing and a miss on this review. Kudos for trying something new, but some more information would be appreciated, even in the written review.

Just four more days... Just four more days... Just four more days...
*Twitch Twitch*

My friends and I are turning up at the midnight release dressed as purple gangsters carrying a boombox playing tunes from the game.

It's going to be AWESOME.

Look forward to the game. Do everyone a favor and just review the game next time, voice acting isn't your strong suit.

Three days to go. Cannot wait for this one!

Wow dude. That was very Dorky. Which reminds me. Is yahtzee going to review this? Cause yathzee could make a entertaining review of this sort of game. I remember him proposing to saints row two so maybe he'll go for an upgrade.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here