Saints Row: The Third Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Greg, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you are the worst gangsta ever. Don't quit your dayjob (of pretending to be a gangsta).

Different. I appreciate the effort, but maybe polish it up a bit. Couldn't hurt. Also: I am so excited for this. I may need a new chair, soon, because I am actively vibrating with excitement, and might soon tear through the elastic deformation in my chair from rebounding stresses, and move into the plastic deformation.

EDIT:

Greg Tito:
Saints Row: The Third Review

So much to do in Steelport, so little time ...

Read Full Article

One question, can you import characters from the initiation station smoothly, or do you have to remake them?

First time posting on the forums
Awful video, really really bad
Written part was fine but good lord that video, please don't do that again
How was that ok'd?

That was kind of annoying to listen to honestly. I felt like you didn't review much at all; you just showed a video montage of you doing this, that and the other, all the while talking in some strange, character-driven voice. I'm all for trying new things, but not that again.

Will get the game eventually, but I don't think seems awesome enough to pre-order. :/

I have to say that while I didn't like the direction of this video at first it grew on me and I kind of want this to be a semi regular thing now even though I doubt that will happen because people here seem to be pretty dang divided about it.

Meh I didn't mind the voice. It meant that the video review didn't just ape the written review like usual. Seriously I just listened to your review and now I have to read the same words?

PH3NOmenon:
So, I watch the review video. I read the written review. And I don't know jack about the game.

Are you just saying it's Saints Row 2 all over again? Is PC vehicle handling improved? Is there now any reason to earn money beyond using it to earn more money or change your appearance? Is it worth buying this if you already own SR2 or is it just a cash-in on past fame? Aside from a more user-friendly interface in the smart-phone, does it actually do anything new? Can I finally listen to my own tunes in the car? Has the AI improved since the last iteration? Is the game actually challenging now? I remember SR2 being fun, but without any challenge the fun eventually (and I do mean after a goodly amount of hours) started to feel hollowed-out. If every one of your owned shops resets your threat-level, does police ever impose any kind of challenge?

Kind of a swing and a miss on this review. Kudos for trying something new, but some more information would be appreciated, even in the written review.

read the VERY end to the review. It says its based off of the Xbox 360 version of the game. So I am guessing asking about the PC version won't get you too far.

Well 4.5/5 is still a great review. I suppose it's too be expected that it wouldn't be as good as the genre defining classic that was Dragon Age 2 (Which got 5/5), but still very good.

In all seriousness glad to see this game is as good as I was expecting.

I prefer to hear about the game via a straightforward, insightful critique. I want the good and bad for gameplay, overarching experience, and technical aspects, not your "ironic" impersonation of a wannabe thug. Knock off the character-acting, tell us about the game, and do this one over.

wkim564:

This version is not a port, pc version for the third is developed in house.

Thanks for making me aware of this. I'm still not a 100% won over but if there's a bargain, who knows?

BehattedWanderer:
One question, can you import characters from the initiation station smoothly, or do you have to remake them?

No importing, new game engine.

edit; my bad, read SR2 import. Yes you can import from the character creator.

I found myself yelling at my computer screen "Get on with the F***ing REVIEW"
Truly Painful.

I felt uncomfortable listening to this review in a room with other people, had to plug my headphones in. Please dont do that again. :(

Never "get in character" again

thanks

I really did not like that video. Please don't do that again.

Wow, I had no interest in this game before and I have even less now!

The first video review on the Escapist that I simply couldn't watch all the way through. Sorry Greg, I normally love your reviews but that was really awful. Plus it was hard to tell (from the first half at least) what your actual opinions were.

The_root_of_all_evil:
(I've already ordered it, but I can't play it until I finish Nanowrimo. Rewarded deadlines are necessary)

Oh, how wonderful, me too! ^_^

Although my poison would be Skyrim at the moment... and apparently these forums...

Game looks fun but I have to complain about the review as well. Its not the fact that you did it in "character." Its the fact that you did it in character with no sense of excitment or life. I think you were reading from a card or something for a school report lol.

I just got this today, and my God does the PS3 version's FRAMERATE CRASH down so hard it is at times running as if in slow motion.
Except unintended slowmotion, and it really makes the driving a tad harder. But the shooting much easier...

Either way, hurry up with a patch!!!!

Kenjitsuka:
I just got this today, and my God does the PS3 version's FRAMERATE CRASH down so hard it is at times running as if in slow motion.
Except unintended slowmotion, and it really makes the driving a tad harder. But the shooting much easier...

How did you get Saints Row the Third today if it comes out in 3 days?

CriticalQuit:

Kenjitsuka:

How did you get Saints Row the Third today if it comes out in 3 days?

Easy, Gamemania in the Netherlands texted me saying I should pick up the game I pre-ordered.
After calling them and hearing "Yeah well, we got it today..." I swung by and indeed got the game, even though officially it's not supposed to be sold untill tuesday. This happens a lot around the world with all sorts of games though...

I can confirm that downloading the Genki package works fine, although any other DLC on hand is obscured by a semi-error message.

I mean I'm sure these comments are littered with this, and if you had fun making this review that's cool, but really it just sounded stale. It didn't make me excited for the game. You trying to sound "cool" while describing stuff just made everything seem boring. Overall it didn't feel like a review, it felt like you just describing some stuff you did, not even critically most of the time, it was just you saying stuff that happened. I'm not saying do the IGN ratings or anythign like that, I'm just saying if you're going to do a review do a review.

I actually could not make it through the whole video. So painful to listen to.

McMullen:
A reminder: People intentionally trying to sound "gangsta" when they're not is nearly unanimously looked down upon, and is therefore an ineffective way to draw interest to the review. I was done after one minute. Don't care about your review enough to tolerate the voice, don't even feel like muting it and continuing, or reading the text portion either. A person who makes that bad a judgement call probably has nothing meaningful or insightful to say anyway.

That is why they also have a written review... The bulletstorm video review didn't review the game, nor did the Duke Nukem video review. They've done this before.

Arizona Kyle:

Reynaert:
Love the way this review was done, it actually made me wanna play that game. I probably won't get it though. I don't have a current-gen console and the previous Saints pc port wasn't playable. At all.

It is on Onlive you know lol

Uhm, that doesn't speak to the PC version's actual playability when you have a real copy at all. As everyone knows, the Onlive version is of course not playable, because streaming games is just about the dumbest thing anyone in the gaming industry has ever come up with. Why anyone would ever say "it is on onlive you know" to try and say that the regular PC version is good is beyond me.

Uhh....I don't think I liked that very much. It was creepy.

Yeah good stuff

Nice review it fits you know the style. Pimpalicious!

Anyhow I should go you know luchadores don't launch themself in the air. All hard work for me *grin*

Greg Tito:
If you want the more informative stuff without the character, check out the written review. It's got all of the the things you wanted to me to discuss. The two parts (video and article) are best when consumed together, especially with this review, but with all our reviews.

Greg

I realize that the written review is generally the emphasis for the Escapist, but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if most people just watch the video and call it good. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea to keep those people in mind?

As for the game itself, I'm probably going to be picking this up for Christmas. I've got Skyrim to occupy me until then and forever.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the comments. The idea for this kind of video seemed to fit Saints Row more so than any other game, but the general response seems to state the execution could have been better. Every piece we produce at The Escapist is a learning experience, and I will consider your thoughts when making a similar video in the future.

I want to express my gratitude that this thread didn't devolve into slander or flaming. You all were polite and honest with your criticism and that is something to be commended. Thank you.

Greg

Greg Tito:
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the comments. The idea for this kind of video seemed to fit Saints Row more so than any other game, but the general response seems to state the execution could have been better. Every piece we produce at The Escapist is a learning experience, and I will consider your thoughts when making a similar video in the future.

I want to express my gratitude that this thread didn't devolve into slander or flaming. You all were polite and honest with your criticism and that is something to be commended. Thank you.

Greg

I can assure you that we appreciate that you were willing to take the criticism above all else

Thank you for that.

This review style is just bad ... bad bad bad. Inaudible muffled responses to your own awkward monologues is bad bad bad. Not funny, not helpful, not good.

Whoever started such reviews on this site should be done away with.

Final outcome of this review: it's the same damn game as sr2. You don't help.

Game looks fun, but...that was definitely not my favorite review ever.

It was only 5 minutes long, but I looked at the timer at about 2 minutes in and I felt like I had been watching this forever. The whole voice and style of the review was definitely a poor choice, but I'll forgive ya Greg, as I bet you're liek the rest of us:

Deprived of sleep due to Skyrim.

What the hell, were you high when you made that video??

THEoriginalBRIEN:
What the hell, were you high when you made that video??

Yes.

(not really.)

mjc0961:

Arizona Kyle:

Reynaert:
Love the way this review was done, it actually made me wanna play that game. I probably won't get it though. I don't have a current-gen console and the previous Saints pc port wasn't playable. At all.

It is on Onlive you know lol

Uhm, that doesn't speak to the PC version's actual playability when you have a real copy at all. As everyone knows, the Onlive version is of course not playable, because streaming games is just about the dumbest thing anyone in the gaming industry has ever come up with. Why anyone would ever say "it is on onlive you know" to try and say that the regular PC version is good is beyond me.

Not Playable ha

This gameplay was recorded on OnLive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBxeaTTPDXY

So was this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8SGzB4Yklo&feature=related

it is very playable so dont you tell me that its not playable

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username: