Super Mario 3D Land Review

Pages PREV 1 2

Lukeje:
1) Where in this conversation was I trying to be your friend? I just summarized the air you're giving off with respect to this topic. If you choose to interpret that as a personal attack then I suppose that's your right.

2) I didn't say that, either. They should be given the option though.

3) It's going to be Nintendo hard, by definition [/joke]. It's hard enough that Nintendo apparently thought that enough of their potential audience wouldn't be able to reach the end without the help to invest (what I imagine was) a significant amount of play testing and development into the Tanooki suit.

1) It's a figure of speech, it means it's rude and no one would like hearing it. You say it to your friends and see how long they respect you for.

2) So you've giving me no evidence. Just fluff and your belief.

3) Then they can make an easy and hard campaign. Really, it's not that hard, especially for a billion dollar business.

orangeapples:
Children and casuals are not core gamers. They don't HAVE to train to play games. Not everyone has fun playing a game when they are dying every other opportunity. They think it is stupid. Part of a game is to have mindless stupid fun. You're thinking of a sport. Eventually they will get board of the invincibility and try to do better. It is supposed to encourage new gamers, not punish them.

Also, games were a lot easier when we were younger and we got to gradually get better as games evolved. 3 dimensions are really confusing in video games. You don't think so since you've played them for so long, but the reality is that it is complicated, way more than our 2D and 2.5D days. I've seen people new to gaming play, It's not pretty. Lots of walking and dying, and that was in 2D. In 3D they gave up because it was just way too difficult. New people need this since they don't have our advantage of training.

I wasn't a core gamer starting off as well, and neither were my parents when arcades came out. You should be able to have fun even when you lose. I swear, you people make this up as you go to suit you. I really believe people can love a Mario game trying to solve puzzles and over come difficult challenges, that's the most fun part! Like everything in life, you improve the more you practice/play. And if your not enjoying it from the beginning, then it's not for you.

Also, games were definitely not easier when we were younger. I've beaten more 3D games than 2D games easily. You really are making this all up. "New people need this because they didn't have our advantage of training?" You can't be serious. How do you think we became more experienced? It wasn't because I had easy modes in Super Metroid and Metal Slug, that's for sure. In fact, arcade games are still very difficult and popular so I really doubt these casuals your talking about are at some disadvantage.

Lukeje:

Nazulu:
Are you serious? How do you think small children and casuals get those reflexes we have? BY FUCKING TRAINING OF COURSE! I started when I was a wee lad playing Super Mario Brothers 3 and Battle Toads. Guess what? I SUCKED! But I improved gradually because I really enjoyed the game and I really wanted to see what was next. Are saying people can't get through games today if they cannot cheat?

Yes. This may surprise you, but some people don't want to get frustrated by games. This is why gaming was originally a niche market.

There's not getting frustrated, then there's making your consumer lazy.

My little brother (I'm 24, he's 5) used the "play for me" button in both Donkey Kong Country Returns and NSMB. Now if he loses once in anything, and nothing comes along to bail him out, he quits the game and won't play it ever again. Is this what we want our kids to do?

Nazulu:

Lukeje:
1) Where in this conversation was I trying to be your friend? I just summarized the air you're giving off with respect to this topic. If you choose to interpret that as a personal attack then I suppose that's your right.

3) It's going to be Nintendo hard, by definition [/joke]. It's hard enough that Nintendo apparently thought that enough of their potential audience wouldn't be able to reach the end without the help to invest (what I imagine was) a significant amount of play testing and development into the Tanooki suit.

1) It's a figure of speech, it means it's rude and no one would like hearing it. You say it to your friends and see how long they respect you for.

I speak my mind and my friends respect me for that.

What would you accept as proof?

3) Then they can make an easy and hard campaign. Really, it's not that hard, especially for a billion dollar business.

Yes, yes it is. Much harder than just implementing a god mode. It would require dual development and at least double the work load and playtesting.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

There's not getting frustrated, then there's making your consumer lazy.

My little brother (I'm 24, he's 5) used the "play for me" button in both Donkey Kong Country Returns and NSMB. Now if he loses once in anything, and nothing comes along to bail him out, he quits the game and won't play it ever again. Is this what we want our kids to do?

...and how do you know that he wouldn't have done that anyway?

Lukeje:

Nazulu:

Lukeje:

I speak my mind and my friends respect me for that.

What would you accept as proof?

Yes, yes it is. Much harder than just implementing a god mode. It would require dual development and at least double the work load and playtesting.

1) You insult your friends, and they respect you for that? whatever.

2) You should know. Oh, forget it.

3) I feel so sorry for them, it must be really difficult to add an easy and a hard mode. I can't blame them, it's not like they've never done it before 100 times.

Yeah, this is going nowhere. Forget this ever happened.

I want a Mario game where you can play as one of several characters - similar to what they did in Mario 2, but maybe make it a more open world like Mario World or Mario Galaxy where you can choose your path.

Must not be many people that want that, cause they haven't done it since (at least that I can remember playing).

Skratt:
I want a Mario game where you can play as one of several characters - similar to what they did in Mario 2, but maybe make it a more open world like Mario World or Mario Galaxy where you can choose your path.

Must not be many people that want that, cause they haven't done it since (at least that I can remember playing).

Yeah well that probably is because super mario bros 2(american and european version) for the nes wasn't an official Mario game. In japan there was an other mario game released but NoA deemed it to difficult (later that game was released as the lost levels). They took an unknown game and turned the 4 characters into mario/luigi/peach and toad(officially the game is named Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic) .

Funny how some of the monsters from that game are integrated into the mario franchise.

Nazulu:

1) You insult your friends, and they respect you for that? whatever.

Again, I don't think you know what that word means.

2) You should know. Oh, forget it.

*shrug* If there's no evidence that would sway you, then I guess there is no point.

3) I feel so sorry for them, it must be really difficult to add an easy and a hard mode. I can't blame them, it's not like they've never done it before 100 times.

Really? Most Mario games only have one difficulty level.

Yeah, this is going nowhere. Forget this ever happened.

I'm afraid I have to agree.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or