Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

damn man 11-11-11 is the magic number. four AAA games, covering all the current consoles, a decent eyecandy genre movie and the fun fact that twice in one day the time will read all ones for a second.

It really does look exactly the same, honestly. I wonder if they could have just made this DLC for MW2? :D

If your not fatigued?

Thats like saying "If your expecting something revamped and different....find another game".

Im sick of people giving out these scores but not even looking at how it gets to that score. It should NOT be based on past experiences either. If thats the case then if Guitar Hero 3 gets 10/10 then EVERY one should get 10/10.....if your not fatigued.

Guess I can pass then what up then. Not sure why I thought this one would have a greater emphasis on single player but that's just my own ignorance. I'll focus on grabbing CoD4 when I can afford to and take it from there.

the price drop?? you mean when cod 9 comes out that when the price will drom to any worthy dicount

All i can say is if you want rage free gameplay do not buy this game. The mulitplayer is just a basic reskin of MW2 and has exactly the same problems with hacks and cheats that plague MW2. While the reskin i could live with they could have at least made it harder to cheat.

Bought this hoping it would be good for a few weeks until the usual CoD crap started but it'll be gone as soon as Saints row 3 comes out.

Well I'm going to wait for xmas sales before I buy it even though I can't wait to find out how it ends.

Jegsimmons:
the images and gameplayed he showed really contrasted from what he said, it honestly looked lackluster and didnt seem like much was new, just sort of re-skinned.

They do go out of there way not to show anything special as a way to avoid spoilers.

Giest4life:
The review felt forced--as if the reviewer was forced to be diplomatic by the editor. "The game has enough new features to seem fresh" as opposed to, let's say "staying fresh"? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, I don't know. Was an uncomfortable review to watch.

Well it's not like reviewers are going out of there way to make games seem more then they are. Also if it turns out you aren't reading to much into it, it would mean Justin Clouse is being bias and I find that to be rediculous given his preivious reviews. You might have found it uncomfortable because you didn't like the game he was review, as everyone is allowed too.

Vault101:
oh no! a game I hate got a high score!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaand life goes on

I wish more games had your attitude.

Nobby:
It appears that the review has accidentally included PC under platforms :P

But you can get it on PC, it's on steam.

if this bloke hasn't played all the cod games before, he's the wrong person to review it. i'll ignore his opinion as he clearly doens't know what he's talking about.

i don't know if it was just my headphones, but i couldn't actually hear the commentary on the the video over all the action... i had a flash back to every CoD i've actually played in that respect as well.

Well, I saw my friend playing through campaign yesterday, and while it looked really good, impressive, and it was fun, it was also really, really stupid. There was no logic to anything anyone did. But the survival mode, and spec ops modes are still incredibly fun to play with a friend in local mulitplayer.

im not a COD fan but i do like to play it the MP for fun.
played the SP a little bit. pretty much just shooting and explosions. still ok though. but the MP, i have actually really a good time playing it. i think its better balanced with the perks, weapons upgrades and kill streaks. at least i dont get shot as much by helis as in previous games like MW 1 or even black ops.

i dint play the previous games either, because i had simply enough of WW 2, but MW 1 was fun, until the helis pissed me off and the spawn kills, i dint get MW 2 because i dint agree with the changing host stuff (my connection at that time was really bad to be a host. my ping would be great wile others would have a ping of over 300), black ops was pretty much the same as with MW 1, plus it was buggy that it needed few patches to make it half way work.
but MW3, now this works really well and im having a good time with it.

about the review:
pretty much agree with him about the MP part and i dont think you must be a some one who must have played the previous once. if the game makes fun and works well, then why complain.

Titan Buttons:
Well I'm going to wait for xmas sales before I buy it even though I can't wait to find out how it ends.

Jegsimmons:
the images and gameplayed he showed really contrasted from what he said, it honestly looked lackluster and didnt seem like much was new, just sort of re-skinned.

They do go out of there way not to show anything special as a way to avoid spoilers.

Giest4life:
The review felt forced--as if the reviewer was forced to be diplomatic by the editor. "The game has enough new features to seem fresh" as opposed to, let's say "staying fresh"? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, I don't know. Was an uncomfortable review to watch.

Well it's not like reviewers are going out of there way to make games seem more then they are. Also if it turns out you aren't reading to much into it, it would mean Justin Clouse is being bias and I find that to be rediculous given his preivious reviews. You might have found it uncomfortable because you didn't like the game he was review, as everyone is allowed too.

Vault101:
oh no! a game I hate got a high score!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaand life goes on

I wish more games had your attitude.

Nobby:
It appears that the review has accidentally included PC under platforms :P

But you can get it on PC, it's on steam.

I'm aware of that, but perhaps the point of my comment wasn't clear. There is no fathomable reason to get it on PC, there are many reasons why you wouldn't.

In fact since MW2 shafted PC players so hard by removing important features necessary for the enjoyment of the game on PC this franchise has died in my eyes.

maddawg IAJI:
The 5 hour estimated single player time is generous on its own. I beat the game on Veteran in a little over 7 hours on my first go through the game and I honestly was rather upset at how weak the entire game was. I always enjoyed the Call of Duty series single player for its difficult Veteran mode, but the last couple games have become far too easy in my opinion.

Keep in mind that reviewers tend to have to play a game on either easy or normal since they are on a deadline.

Sgt. Sykes:

Anyways, I've played MW2 and didn't get the story. I wonder what 'callbacks' to MW2 are there in MW3.

Ironically, the whole thing seems to be a "callback" to MW2, so much so that the game seems to be saying "Hey, you played MW2, right? Good. Then I won't have to explain who these people are, why you should like them, or why Russia is invading everyone. We just saved a whole hour!"

You gamers need to stop being such snobbish elitists. The game is fun. It is put together very well. The review admits, if you are in the game just or the single player, it is kinda short but kinda fun, so that's your warning. It lists changes to the multiplayer from previous titles. You cannot really ask for more from a review of this franchise.

Basically every CoD review boils down to:
did you buy the last CoD game?
-Yes, then probably skip this one unless you REALLY want it.
-No, then sure, why not pick it up?

I really liked the singleplayer. It was awesome, if a bit brief.

However, I was vaguely disappointed in the lack of variety. First you're as the Americans in New York (cool), then you're International with Price and Soap (cool) then you're with the SAS in London (very cool). Then you get to France and Germany... and you're the Americans again.

It's the sort of game that just SCREAMS for an expansion pack. I want to see more sides of this war. I want to see some French army levels, some German army, some Polish! I want to see a mission where I play as the Czech resistance! Give me MORE!

'Dust to Dust' was beyond awesome, by the way. 10/10.

SonicKoala:
I expected as much - I'm a little put-off by the '4.5 star' ranking, though. That seems a tad generous given the fact that this seems like little more than a rehash of the previous two MW titles.

*shrugs* a game should be based on its own merrits, even if it does rip off other games, if it does it well and its fun, it should still be rated according.

OT: A fairly unbiased review, excellent job! I'm not sure if I will or will not pick this up, I have a shelf overflowing with FPS titles now...

snfonseka:
Does it have vehicles in multiplayer?

When has CoD ever had vehicles in its multiplayer?

I just finished the Singleplayer portion, and tried my hand at the multiplayer. It basically reminds me of my first time in MW2... which is along the lines of a virgin having their virginity taken away via rape. Good God...

Is there a code to put in for multiplayer? Could I rent it and try it online?

I don't understand the BF3 and WF3 thing. Can't we all just buy me Skyrim?

4/5 would have been better, not 4 and a half, IMO at least. I fucking hate it though, worst in the series behind Black Ops.

AnarchistFish:

If you're not fatigued by the series, you should definitely pick up MW3.

Yeah, basically what it's saying is, "this game is fantastic because some people will like it, 4.5/5, let's not take into account its faults"

No, its not. Its a highly polished game which does its thing and does it well. You might not like it, but thats an opinion.

Although I would love to hear its faults aside from HURR INNOVATION DURR, which isnt really a fault at all.

Mantonio:

However, I was vaguely disappointed in the lack of variety. First you're as the Americans in New York (cool), then you're International with Price and Soap (cool) then you're with the SAS in London (very cool). Then you get to France and Germany... and you're the Americans again.

It's the sort of game that just SCREAMS for an expansion pack. I want to see more sides of this war. I want to see some French army levels, some German army, some Polish! I want to see a mission where I play as the Czech resistance! Give me MORE!

Really? I havent touched the single player since COD 4. Kinda a pity that you only play americans and englishmen, I remember one of the things I liked about COD 2 is how it had you play so many different characters.

I don't understand why people keep saying "It's the same as MW2 with different levels." DUH that's why it's MW3! What do you want them to do? Change the game engine everytime a new one comes out? COD I already VERY succesful. What isn't broke, don't fix it. If you were in Infinity Ward's shoes....or worked for them, wouldn't you want to keep being successful?

can you play as a female?

All I want to know is if Gaz/Ghost's reincarnation's name also starts with G.

HobbesMkii:

Ironically, the whole thing seems to be a "callback" to MW2, so much so that the game seems to be saying "Hey, you played MW2, right? Good. Then I won't have to explain who these people are, why you should like them, or why Russia is invading everyone. We just saved a whole hour!"

And your point is? Considering it is a sequel, there's the inherent assumption you played at least the previous game and know what the story is. So there's no need to summarize those events(other then the little flashback sequences early in the game when Soap is getting Operated on).

If you want to bash the game for not resolving the plot holes from the first game or for having it's own plot wierdness, that's legitimate, but saying you're annoyed because it didn't provide you with a summery to 1 and 2 is weak.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Mantonio:

Really? I havent touched the single player since COD 4. Kinda a pity that you only play americans and englishmen, I remember one of the things I liked about COD 2 is how it had you play so many different characters.

I haven't finished the game, but this one seems to be jumping around a bit more then the previous games. I rather liked the idea of playing a Russian Secret Service Agent for the plane mission(though I also suspected how that mission was going to end because of that).

Now, playing as an American Tourist for 30 seconds was just lame.

Rainboq:

snfonseka:

True. But I thought they would have made that change in MW3, due to the competition of BF3.

snfonseka:

Rainboq:

snfonseka:

True. But I thought they would have made that change in MW3, due to the competition of BF3.

BF3 was the one trying to be hyper creative and cool, since they were challenging MW3.

MW3 just did what it does well and sold 12312312312312 million copies, just like 4 and MW2.

Dalisclock:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Mantonio:

I haven't finished the game, but this one seems to be jumping around a bit more then the previous games. I rather liked the idea of playing a Russian Secret Service Agent for the plane mission(though I also suspected how that mission was going to end because of that).

Now, playing as an American Tourist for 30 seconds was just lame.

Well, you also play as Yuri for some time, but since he is just working with Price and Soap it doesn't seem any different then if you were an American/Englishmen.

Nobby:
I'm aware of that, but perhaps the point of my comment wasn't clear. There is no fathomable reason to get it on PC, there are many reasons why you wouldn't.

In fact since MW2 shafted PC players so hard by removing important features necessary for the enjoyment of the game on PC this franchise has died in my eyes.

Arh see I didn't know that. It is just in general FPS can bo more fun playing them on the PC.

Only watched this review 'cause all my friends seem to be regarding this thing as the second coming of Christ, sorry, it just looks to me like grayish-brown cold war fantasist trash to me, But I've never played a COD game so, maybe I'm wrong, might rent MW2 or something, but I'm not seeing this as being the kind of thing I would buy.

But can you talk to the Russians?

AnarchistFish:

If you're not fatigued by the series, you should definitely pick up MW3.

Yeah, basically what it's saying is, "this game is fantastic because some people will like it, 4.5/5, let's not take into account its faults"

What faults? Destructoid gave MW3 a 9.5 compared to BF3's 7.5, and both were reviewed by Sterling. and he did name the flaws but he still praised it because it CoD does what it does so well. plus You don't need a FRICKING web browser to access the games Multiplayer. which is a grievance that Sterling also brought up in his review.

lolmynamewastaken:
i don't know if it was just my headphones, but i couldn't actually hear the commentary on the the video over all the action... i had a flash back to every CoD i've actually played in that respect as well.

Sounded okay to me (using headphones). Perhaps your mixer has the headphones volume down low?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here