Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

008Zulu:

SiskoBlue:
No it's like an Indiana Jones movie, and nothing like a point and click game which itself was nothing like the movie it was based on. So yes, if you want to play games that look almost real and feel like your in a movie then you need a PS3, PC or an Xbox360. If you want to play terribly dumbed down games incapable of replicating anything but videogames circa 1984, then yes they could have done it on a DS.

It wasn't based off any of the movies.

So why didn't they just use Indiana Jones instead of what appears to be a cheap knockoff?

Alright pedant "nothing like a point and click game which itself was nothing like the <franchise> it was based on".

Why did they make an original IP instead of using Indiana Jones? Probably the 20% of the profits that would be siphoned off for the licensing fee to use Indiana Jones? Plus we all saw how successful bringing Indiana Jones back was right? If they made Indiana Jones Uncharted it may have distracted from the brilliance of Indiana Jones and the kingdom of bad plots and direction...err I mean skulls.

Now now, we also had Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, which was a nifty action adventure game that had an original story, good gameplay, and puzzles that made sense.

what happened to zero punctuation RSS feed?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/rss/articles/editorials/zeropunctuation

It's full of junk for some reason...

If naughty dog now follow their routine, the next game should be uncharted kart racing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naughty_Dog

I agree because I tried to start this game. Got about an hour in and wanted to punch Drake in the face. He is completely obnoxious, not funny and just makes excuses for everything. The section where he was a kid made me want to curb stomp him. I gave up instantly. I cant stand a game where I have to play as a completely obnoxious, unlikable douchbag.

I guess next week is MW3, because it's short and Yahtzee needs some more time to play Skyrim.

historybuff:
I cant stand a game where I have to play as a completely obnoxious, unlikable douchbag.

And I absolutely love playing as a obnoxious douchebag. I find obnoxious douchebags easy to identify with, unlike those righteous, nice guy robots, like Cpt. America.

Well, in that case, I'm an American who loves shooting bread out of a tommy gun. Because I'm American, and that's what Americans do. And I'm proud of the fact.

EvilPicnic:

Soviet Heavy:
They really had a red telephone booth?

That's nothing. Let's play count-the-'Hey kids! You're in London!'-stereotype game with this one MW3 cutscene.

So far I'm up to ten:

1) Football (Soccer ball)
2) Black Cab
3) Big Ben (well..pedantically the Clock Tower)
4) Post box
5) Pigeons
6) Union Flag
7) Union Flag (again!!!)
8) Red Telephone Box
9) Double-decker bus
10) OTT Mockney accent

Using one or two is good scene-setting, but there's such a thing as overkill. You might as well have a Beefeater walking down the road...

To be fair black cabs are everywhere in London, double decker buses are common all over UK and if you ever go into town without seeing shitloads of pidgeons I'd be surprised. If you mean the red postbox then they are quite regular aswell. Your other stuff is about right though, especially the cockney accent - in london you're more likely to hear foreign accents.

I haven't picked this one up yet since I'm waiting for a price drop. I don't want to pay 60$ for an 8 hour campaign, not really interested in the multiplayer.

Late for this party, but I wanted to wait with this review until after I had played the game to avoid spoilers.

Haven't really spoiled anything, but if you're touchy you should probably ignore this post.

My biggest gripe with Uncharted 3 was, apart from what's already been mentioned, the difficulty and the damn moving envieroments. I played on easy(because I'm a pussy) and I still died all the time. Recently started over with the first game and in comparison it seems like a game for kids. Not that I hate challenges, but it was kind of like;
Uncharted: A few enemies show up, get to cover and shoot at Drake. A few more show up when they died. Toss a grenade once in a while.
Uncharted 3: Throw in a fuckload of enemies who all charge towards Drake guns blazing. Trying to hide? Nothing their bags full of grenades can't handle along with the snipers and RPGs!

The main issue however falls back on those damn moving envieroments. An airplane in constant motion, boats that splashes back and forth and then you even get drugged out of your mind and are expected to handle the hardest enemies in the game. I realise that it's exciting how the envieroment moves as it should, but the short airplane sequence was enough.
With the aim-assist and shoulder swapping feautres removed(iirc ._o) I had a hit ratio of 26-35%. I thought it was because of my new TV and that I'm not sitting right in front of it while playing, but considering how awesome I'm doing in the first game it seems doubtful.

Still, in spite of this I had a great time with the game. Definetly not as good as the first two, but I'm still itching to play it again.
Sucks that they removed the bonus features as well...

Kopikatsu:

wills_b:
SPOILERS

Kopikatsu:

I actually really like that method of story telling.

Basically, Elena asked Drake to marry her between games. Drake freaked out and left her, but kept the engagement ring because he still loved her.

At the end of the game, he put it on. So basically, he was saying 'Yes, I'll marry you now.'

It has additional symbolism! Drake was trading in Drake's Ring (Adventure and fortune) for Elena's Ring (Setting down)

Where has this info come from?

Well thank you for spelling it out for us morons that don't have your high and mighty intellect, but if you can bear to step off your high horse for a moment, that wasn't what I was asking.

That is your interpretation, I was asking if you'd gotten this info from another source, which you haven't.

Thanks to sazzrah for a more reasoned response. Appreciated.

Kopikatsu:

wills_b:
SPOILERS

Kopikatsu:

I actually really like that method of story telling.

Basically, Elena asked Drake to marry her between games. Drake freaked out and left her, but kept the engagement ring because he still loved her.

At the end of the game, he put it on. So basically, he was saying 'Yes, I'll marry you now.'

It has additional symbolism! Drake was trading in Drake's Ring (Adventure and fortune) for Elena's Ring (Setting down)

Where has this info come from?

Well thank you for spelling it out for us morons that don't have your high and mighty intellect, but if you can bear to step off your high horse for a moment, that wasn't what I was asking.

That is your interpretation, I was asking if you'd gotten this info from another source, which you haven't.

Thanks to sazzrah for a more reasoned response. Appreciated.

Edit: double post

The next Uncharted will involve fighting oil-rich, cowboy Americans and Steve Irwin Australians.
Oh, and maybe Bob and Doug McKenzie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or