Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Review

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Review

The game that started a legacy looks better than ever.

Read Full Article

I got this game because I liked 3, ODST and Reach. However, I personally found this game to be incredibly shit. The new graphics look terrible (character models don't even have motion captured faces; Cortana's animations are, I'm pretty sure, just copied and pasted from Halo 3; and lots of texture pop-in.) I played through about half the first level and stopped because the gameplay is so outdated. I'm gonna trade it in soon.

I'm sure some people will enjoy it but this was my personal experience, so take it as you may.

Ironically, Halo was the game that got me into PC gaming back then (along with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, awesome game), I can't remember how many times I finished this game and how many hours I spent playing multiplayer online (a huge advantage that the PC version had over the original Xbox game). I know that the game feels incredibly slow and clunky to be played on a PC these days, but I just loved it back then, even when I already played such PC classics, like Half-Life 1/2, Max Payne and others.

If I hadn't already sold my Xbox 360, I'd buy this game in a flash.

I just can't understand why anyone would be excited about this game. All I keep hearing is that the graphics look great and that they didn't alter the gameplay in any way.
Then why not just buy the original game on the xbox? I checked, and you can pick up a used copy on amazon for like €5! I heard that eventually you'll be able to download the multiplayer maps separately for Halo Reach, which makes this game even more pointless in my opinion.

Wow, the graphics look terrible, even on the updated side :S. But then I guess Halo has never been about graphical prowess. I would give this game a look, but I still have Halo 1 on my 360 so I'll pass.

I still have the original installed and the community is still there for the PC version.

Playing this game on Heroic reminds me of how much easier games have gotten over the years. It's punishing me relentlessly.

I never did get around to getting a 360, having transferred my gaming affections to the Pc by the time it came along, but I still play Halo: CE on my old Xbox from time to time, and was nodding in agreement when reading the review comments about just how smooth the gameplay is. There aren't many other games that I can think of that are so well polished in that respect - Doom, Portal and, perhaps, WoW.

Sure there are more complex shooters out there, but Doom wasn't complex either and Halo belongs right up there as one of the most enjoyable FPSs I've ever played.

Russ is back? Or is the current onslaught of releases so overwhelming that they had to call back the Escapist's prodigal son?

Anyway, I'm really not into first person shooters (aside from TF2 and the Metroid Prime series, if you count that), but I always thought if I ever another one a shot then it would be Halo. I like the art style and the sci-fi setting. I might give Anniversary a chance whenever my ever-expanding backlog dwindles down.

I have the original Halo:CE downloaded on my 360 hard drive (remember the days when they tried to have a service for original Xbox games?) is there much point in getting this remake?

Considering I played though the campaign of halo probably at least 20 times, Im not sure how much more of it I want to do, Ill probably get this at some point but not at launch, halo did have the best feel out of almost all the halo games, I think only reach felt as refined as the original did and it certainly had the best enemy ai. I cant help but think that if halo had been released on pc instead of console, it would be a big fps but not as big as it was, I think the reason it really took off was because it was the first time a fps game really felt good to play on the console.

No, seriously, fuck you Puss Pitts. Thanks for contributing to the increasing growth of shitty games rehashing their own crap to the mass market of idiots.

Halo = The Justin Bieber of games

COD = Twilight of games

Anybody who disagrees is a blind fratboy or a twelve year-old.

You've made over 70 accounts here in your obsession with Halo. You have a problem; seek professional help. -Tech Team

Okay... I get that it's a mechanically solid game, but calling it the first/only remake to work is stretching the Hyperbole a bit far, Not to mention the claim that it's the ONLY game that can feel just as fresh now as when it was released, I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit right there.

TheRealHardcoreGamer:
A 4.5 stars! I hate the escapist, they're just a bunch of mainstream tools. Yahzee is the only good reviewer on this website, because he tells it like it is. I was glad I gave him money for his trip to PAX, even though tickets ran out and I didn't receive my money back.

Halo is a game for twelve year-old boys, it's the video game equivalent of Justin Bieber. It's the same shit, wrapped up with nice graphics.

Also, the graphics look like shit. Anybody who disagrees is a blind, Halo fanboy.

4.5 stars? You're officially an idiot Mr. Puss Pitts.

That's ok. We hate you, too. :) Buh-bye, now!

DustyDrB:
Russ is back? Or is the current onslaught of releases so overwhelming that they had to call back the Escapist's prodigal son?

He offered, actually, and given the metric ton of games we had to review this month, we gladly accepted. I think he just wanted an excuse to play Halo, personally.

Susan Arendt:

TheRealHardcoreGamer:
A 4.5 stars! I hate the escapist, they're just a bunch of mainstream tools. Yahzee is the only good reviewer on this website, because he tells it like it is. I was glad I gave him money for his trip to PAX, even though tickets ran out and I didn't receive my money back.

Halo is a game for twelve year-old boys, it's the video game equivalent of Justin Bieber. It's the same shit, wrapped up with nice graphics.

Also, the graphics look like shit. Anybody who disagrees is a blind, Halo fanboy.

4.5 stars? You're officially an idiot Mr. Puss Pitts.

DustyDrB:

He offered, actually, and given the metric ton of games we had to review this month, we gladly accepted. I think he just wanted an excuse to play Halo, personally.

Why do you need an excuse to play Halo? :p

Also yeah, good luck with reviewing all of the many many games coming out now.

Was it really necessary to throw in the Mac vs. PC and Android vs. iPhone fayboy BS? As if Halo doesn't inspire enough fanboys to come out of the woodwork? Just review the game please, if I want commentary on which tech platforms are the best, I'll be sure to ask.

Halo was indeed pretty good back in the day, but the fact that it holds its own against its sequels today so well doesn't mean that it's THAT good - it means the progress has incredibly stagnated.

Play the first Crysis to see how much shooters actually did improve. Not those retarded console exclusives. Even Half-Life 2, the game I really despise, is an improvement over any Halo game.

Defy me to name any other game ehhhhh?

Half Life 2. Done...

To be honest, this is the way that people should do HD remakes - actually changing the textures and models instead of pointing and shouting "Look, we made the resolution bigger!".

I think I'll still buy this eventually, even if I am still disappointed that they didn't change that fucking Library level.

Meh, I still have the original, and I like the old graphics charm.

Avaholic03:
Was it really necessary to throw in the Mac vs. PC and Android vs. iPhone fayboy BS? As if Halo doesn't inspire enough fanboys to come out of the woodwork? Just review the game please, if I want commentary on which tech platforms are the best, I'll be sure to ask.

I agree, that was one of two things that really got on my nerves in this review. Especially cause I've had much better experiences with the Android over the iPhone, but that's just me :P

OT: Great review, but there are other remakes that have done just as well if not better than their original. Ocarina of Time 3D comes to mind immediately, for example.

If I still had a 360 I would pick this up, so if I somehow get one again I'll keep this in mind.

I will argue to my grave that it would have been better to rebuild the game using the reach engine and physics, and keeping the old X Box game as a "Feature" rather then repackaging something I could get on X Box Live for 20 bucks

The blocky assets are STILL frustrating to this day with sniper kill shots and well place rockets detonating in the empty space between two trees. I am reminded how there was a gaddamned good reason the Needler has had to be revised in every single Halo game, and the AR had to have its clip cut in half to double the firepower per shot.

the HD graphics overlay positively ruins the atmosphere of 343 guilty spark, the Library, silent Cartographer, and Keyes, where the low lighting levels helped the derelict artifact feel (and in the case of the library made the zombie apocalypse run possible.)

Here is the thing, There are two examples of successful remakes that should be held up as blueprints for remaking. Mega Man Powered up and Mega Man Mavrick Hunter X. Halo CEA is following the Mavrick Hunter X example, copying the old game verbatim with a few extras to justify the price tag.

MM Powered up though added two new bosses, completely changed the maps and reworked the difficulty to be more forgiving in the right places (yellow Devil) and less forgiving in the right places (Ice Man and Fire Man). I would be much more satisfied had 343 manned up and took THAT route rather then lazily releasing the same game I have played for a decade.

Ah yes where the evolution of casual FPS began, I remember getting this on PC way back in the day and my jaw just dropped... at the simplicity.

But the history is interesting, this was supposed to be Apples big breakthrough into the gaming market, but MS did not like that one bit so they just dropped a fatter check and turned it around into their biggest cash squirter.

I am what you might call a Halo fanboy and even I wouldn't have given it that score. 3.5, MAYBE 4.

The gameplay feels a bit outdated and there simply isn't enough new content to give this game a near perfect score.

And by the way, to everyone else, although the graphics look like ASS in the pictures, in-game they actually look pretty amazing.

Susan Arendt:

Kind of a shame (not really) that the standards around here are so nice, I don't want to have to go to 4chan to watch someone post completely inane bullshit sometimes.

OT: I'd give Half-Life the honor of paving the way for modern shooters, Halo just took the road and made it more noticeable and open for more people. The review makes it sound like it's just more of the same and if I cared for that I'd pop in my copy of CE and play that with a bunch of friends split scree. (I CBA paying for Gold when I do most of my multiplayer on PC.)

Never had the original, it was a friends and I only got two levels in before they took it back. I still loved it and I knew what happened so when Two came out I just jumped into that.

So I got it release day, I have it set on Legendary. That shit is hard, I'm still only about three levels in and I am dying left and right. Games where harder back in the day, the graphics compared to the original is awesome. I don't see why people are complaining, new RPGs look like the HD remake of Halo so people are just trying to find ways to put Halo down.

It's pretty awesome to re-live my childhood with such an awesome game.

How long do you think the Halo Franchise will stay relevant?
Its been 10 years now, but I can't really see us 15 years in the future celebrating its 25th anniversary.

I will never forgive Microsoft for refusing to let me play this on my PC...

EDIT: Watching more of the video... dear god, never have I wanted a game further inside me.

daxterx2005:
Its been 10 years now, but I can't really see us 15 years in the future celebrating its 25th anniversary.

Eh, I think we might be. You never know.

daxterx2005:

if 343 had the decency to make games in the Halo Universe, and not recycle S-117 as a protaganist character maybe. I would like to see a Halo Wars 2, or a Tactical Espionage Action game surrounding the Arbiter, more ODST titles, explore an Ace Combat like Flight Sim or a Mass Effect Esque Rolepalyer 343. this forerunner trilogy idea is garbage.

Russ Pitts:
i defy you to name another game

Super Metriod :p

but .... that's more or less what i was expecting, 'its prettier and built in online multi-player now'. *shrugs* well, it didn't hold my interest the first time, so i doubt ether of those 'new editions' would have any better luck doing so.

JPArbiter:

daxterx2005:

if 343 had the decency to make games in the Halo Universe, and not recycle S-117 as a protaganist character maybe. I would like to see a Halo Wars 2, or a Tactical Espionage Action game surrounding the Arbiter, more ODST titles, explore an Ace Combat like Flight Sim or a Mass Effect Esque Rolepalyer 343. this forerunner trilogy idea is garbage.

Actually it isn't. as shown in Halo: Glasslands, and Halo: Cryptum, there is still much to be shown.

The more I see of Anniversary the more I am blown away by how beautiful the updated game is. Of course it is not as pretty in terms of texture work or animations as other recent releases, but the new layer adds a lot of life to previously dull corridors.

The colors are just so vibrant the new graphical additions are just such a stark contrast to the relatively muted pallet of recent releases. Reach has objectively better graphics but the art design Anniversary is just more alive and vibrant by comparison(Possibly due to Reach being set on a Human world whose architecture and equipment tends to be 'practical' rather than pretty)

If Anniversary is anything to go by then sign me up for Halo 2: Anniversary because if that is what they can do with CE's relatively dull color scheme than a Halo 2 update is going to be a treat.

Must. Play. Grrrr. Must. Wait. Till. Friday. :(

Tharwen:
I will never forgive Microsoft for refusing to let me play this on my PC...

And i wanted to see Halo 3 or reach on PC with the same online as Halo 1...but i know that will never happen due to the fact Microsoft don't want to get too much money for some weird reason..

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here