Trailers: Max Payne 3 Design and Technology Series: Creating a Cutting Edge Action-Shooter

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hmmmm, I was always going to give this game a chance (loved the series) but do you think theyre trying too hard to try to win over skeptic fan of the series with these behind the scene tech trailers?

That being said I'm a sucker for game design theory and enjoyed watching it.

ok well, I'm really sold on this game. It looks amazing.

So who's gonna had Max Payne 3 to the Gun Po** examples page on tvtropes?

Take a shot whenever they say "cinematic".

Anyway I was very impressed by the character movement animations at least. Can't say this reminds me of anything I saw or played in Max Payne 2 though.

buzzwords sooooooo many buzzwords

this looks true to the originals though, i am slightly exited.
still i replayed the old games recently and they were not as fun as i remembered them to be.

Aside from the gratuitous use of buzz words, their visual and mechanical design looks really good. Assuming they don't shit on the overall narrative feel of Max Payne, this will probably be the best one.

Now excuse me while I go clean up.

Officially looking forward to this game now.

Funny how it tells that each enemy AI will act differently depending on who they are. Then it cuts to a soldier hip firing everywhere :P

Ohz my, this looks awesome.

Cant wait. At first I was unsure about this whole "new Max Payne" game thing, but I have faith in Rockstar.

Norix596:
Take a shot whenever they say "cinematic".

Anyway I was very impressed by the character movement animations at least. Can't say this reminds me of anything I saw or played in Max Payne 2 though.

To be fair, "cinematic" was the by-word for the first two games too. And you really don't see the similarities during the rooftop snowy shootout bits? Because, to me, that looked very similar to the first two games.

Looks pretty good! I have to keep an eye on this...

But when did John McClane grow a beard? And a beer gut?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Cant wait. At first I was unsure about this whole "new Max Payne" game thing, but I have faith in Rockstar.

While I'm mostly 'Meh' on the game can't help notice how Max Payne looks a lot like Walt on steroids XD

Aisaku:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

While I'm mostly 'Meh' on the game can't help notice how Max Payne looks a lot like Walt on steroids XD

Dude! I was totally thinking the same thing when watching it, somehow didnt post about it because I thought no one would know who Walt is.

Rockstar are fast becoming a 'buy whatever they release' developer.

On a technical level, this looks incredible. Shame pushing the bar generally means nothing in this market.

I'm still skeptical. While the controls look much better than they were in the first two games (quite frankly, Max Payne and Max Payne 2 had terrible controls and unmemorable gameplay), I can't help but get the feeling the narration is going to suffer. I'm getting more of a Theme Park Noir feeling here. I'm not sure if I can describe it, but the trailers make it feel more like they had a checklist to go off of rather than a knowledge and feeling for the genre.

I might be proven wrong though. I still plan on waiting for the reviews to pile in before I think about buying it.

March 2012
ME3 or MP3
i think Rockstar will be the one to get my cash

Too deep in uncanny valley.

Still, if this will be a console-only, it might just be the game that persuades me to get a console.

Good trailer: Almost entirely gameplay, varied, and isn't interrupted by the stupid dev diaries all games seem to have these days.

As for the game, it looks excellent. Inevitably there will still be fans bitching about Max getting fatter, balder and more cosmopolitan, but fuck 'em. They don't know what they want. If it was yet another constipated faced man mixing metaphors in a black and white new york, they would have moaned just as much about sequels being exactly the same and having no new ideas.

wow...

That told me absolutely nothing, pure spin on tech that already exists. The game looks nice though. That was enough to draw me in

I really want this now. Hell, the animation fluidity alone practically sold me on it. This will also give me a reason to turn on my PS3 again.

Holy cow, I'm actually impressed.

Chertan:
wow...

That told me absolutely nothing, pure spin on tech that already exists. The game looks nice though. That was enough to draw me in

It's not the tech so much as what you do with it that matters (hur hur). The animation work here is superb.

um... shoot 360 degrees while prone... Desperado Break dancing?

And all that, yet, the last shot of the sniper rifle looked like a "magic bullet"... but looks like this game is going to be an "own it" for me...

Mr Ink 5000:
March 2012
ME3 or MP3
i think Rockstar will be the one to get my cash

i think i will join you with this too. if origin is still required to play ME3, then MP3 will be on my pc.
have to say, it does look impressive. played few months ago part 2 again. still my favorite MP. i still hope part 3 will be as good the previous games. so yeah, consider my self really interested.

Knowing Rockstar, I hope, hope to God that the controls aren't as hard to maintain as GTA IV/RDR. Tight control is a key part of Max Payne, and sacrificing tighter control over realism is a big no no.

Overall looks REALLY good, all my fears (MOST) are put to rest, and it looks like a damn good sequel to two of my favorite games.

I'm glad to hear that they're actually making progress with this game, I was getting worried that it would pull a Duke Nukem Forever at this rate. Personally, I don't care one way or the other about the gameplay mechanics, they are just icing on the cake. What is really important is that they maintain the Noir storyline and atmosphere quality of the other 2 games.

Stein Inge:
Looks pretty good! I have to keep an eye on this...

heh pretty much,
I haven't followed much of Max Payne 3, but I couldn't identify anyone in that clip as being the Max that I remember XD
If the bald dude is meant to be Max...
Then honestly I'd like to see a year by year view of how they 'aged' the original Max into him, because I can't see it.

this looks very good. the problem is - he mentions that controls are made for a controller. which means that once AGAIN we get shafted a bad pc port that rockstar is famous of.

Stein Inge:

John McClane never shaved his head either, because Die hard 4.0 NEVER HAPPENED

I gotta say though, this game does look good, I was kinda worried that R* were going to just cash in on nostalgia, but the work they have put in on this one looks superb

Well because it reminds me of Die Hard, i will seriously think about getting this game on release.

Great vid. I loved MP 2 for it's bullet time.

FIrst of all, it looks awesome.

Secondly, I'm still amazed how people have time to be offended by sex in games when stuff like this exists. I mean, they paint out every little detail of killing someone in excrutiating detail, and... I just don't get it. I'm not offended at all by this, I just don't get why this is good and sex is bad.

I finally realized my biggest beef with the new art direction and why it had been so alienating. it's not so much that they shaved Max's head and had him put on fifty pounds and a beard that he no longer looks like Max Payne. It's not that they moved him from his natural environment of cold and dark Noir New York to the bright and humid streets of Rio.

The real reason it didn't seem like Max before is simply because he doesn't dress like Max Payne. Max has always been stylish, or at least had a style that riffed off the Matrix, Equilibrium, and John Woo with long coats that flows in motion and flaps in the wind like a cape would. And now he's wearing hideous Hawaiian shirts in mismatched colors like my fashion deaf dad would buy.

Im.. wait, what ? is the guy who is speaking over this the same guy who did all the PDA-videos for Doom 3 or is it just me ?... (And why am i picking up on things like that ?)

And yes, i guess Max has stopped watching John Woo -movies to go into some dark depressing Michael Bay era, but that might even make it more surreal then the "Max, Youre in a videogame" -sequence that was featured in Max Payne 1.

Too much marko-speak and not enough actual information. For all I know Max Payne could realistically blow me.

Too bad, because this could've been cool; a way to demonstrate how these elements improve/impact play. Instead it's just: This is so awesome, look at us!

And I don't care.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or