Critical Miss: Modern Warfare 3

Pages PREV 1 2

Yeaah . . I find I didn't have as much lag after I installed it to hard drive.
Still some of the kill cams make me wonder big time, I know there's some sort of aim assist but a lot of people don't seem to even get shot in the kill cams. And do bullets pass through walls or something? Because one time a guy was shooting at a window frame and somehow killed me through it despite the fact he couldn't see me at all.

DTWolfwood:

Of course, Skyrim can be an unforgiving place too, but at least when a giant crushes my skull out of fear that I'm about to molest his mammoths, I can be fairly certain that it's actually my fault for not getting out of the way.

Lies! I was walking down the tundra one day without even my weapon drawn heading to an objective when out of nowhere i hear the thuds of a giant feet, and BLAM! i see my body fly 567389 ft into the air!

Giants will gank you if you walk too close to them >.<

I can kill anyone right now with dual-wield swords and level 2 elemental fury shout. Giants, Dragons, Gods... NOTHING SHALL STAND IN MY PATH!

Oh, and when stamina becomes a problem, pull out Volendrung to gain it back. Yeah, that's right - I get more energy by swinging around a legendary freakin' warhammer :P

Or I would, if my PC hadn't decided to turn into an expensive brick yesterday :(

This was definitely something that really pissed me off with BlOps. I can't believe people are still buying a game, just for the multiplayer, when it doesn't even have dedicated servers. That's easily one of the most crucial pieces to having a fun, competitive multiplayer environment.

SirBryghtside:

DTWolfwood:

Of course, Skyrim can be an unforgiving place too, but at least when a giant crushes my skull out of fear that I'm about to molest his mammoths, I can be fairly certain that it's actually my fault for not getting out of the way.

Lies! I was walking down the tundra one day without even my weapon drawn heading to an objective when out of nowhere i hear the thuds of a giant feet, and BLAM! i see my body fly 567389 ft into the air!

I can kill anyone right now with dual-wield swords and level 2 elemental fury shout. Giants, Dragons, Gods... NOTHING SHALL STAND IN MY PATH!

Oh, and when stamina becomes a problem, pull out Volendrung to gain it back. Yeah, that's right - I get more energy by swinging around a legendary freakin' warhammer :P

Or I would, if my PC hadn't decided to turn into an expensive brick yesterday :(

damn you've gotten far. I've spent 50+ hours and havent even gone pass speaking to the Greybeards the first time. Nor have i done any of the long quest chains, i.e. thieves guild, dark brotherhood. Im almost 100 in smithing tho. I guess thats what i've been doing all this time XD

DTWolfwood:

SirBryghtside:

DTWolfwood:

damn you've gotten far. I've spent 50+ hours and havent even gone pass speaking to the Greybeards the first time. Nor have i done any of the long quest chains, i.e. thieves guild, dark brotherhood. Im almost 100 in smithing tho. I guess thats what i've been doing all this time XD

Dude, I've only done around 5 of MQ and 3 Companions. I've spent 32 hours wandering around - Volendrung was just a total coincidence!

That's probably where the game is better than its predecessors - even in Morrowind, which I consider better than Skyrim, you still had to take quests to get the most out of it. Skyrim you can just go around random tombs, and have great adventures, even picking up bitesize quests along the way!

They said the dungeons were hand-made before release, and I have to say it really shows.

Akalabeth:
Still some of the kill cams make me wonder big time, I know there's some sort of aim assist but a lot of people don't seem to even get shot in the kill cams. And do bullets pass through walls or something? Because one time a guy was shooting at a window frame and somehow killed me through it despite the fact he couldn't see me at all.

There is some bullet penetration yeah.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

The killcam isn't some floating camera that sometimes films footage from funny angles to make you look bad for the lols. It's simply footage from the other guy's TV screen, showing you how you died.

Actually that's where you're wrong. The killcam in MW3 is a notorious liar, as it shows players that are sometimes up to almost a whole second in front of you in time advantage. There are many videos on Youtube that show this.

I think this series has to be one of the best marketing scams of all time. Bring out a new game every year, change a couple of things, resell it. Really short campaign, but our fans don't care because they just want to pwn noobs. I will spruce up the graphics, maybe add a overpowered weapon here and there, presto. Alright guys we need to make something else, how much more are people going to buy the same thing. Now skip ahead to the year 2025, their still buying it, what a bunch of dumb fxcks.

I thought people were saying that they fixed the hit detection issues from Black Ops. Good to know that things haven't changed...I guess.

Really good art in panel 1 and 2.

I love kill cam. The best one I ever had was when I was out of ammo and darted between a guys pistol fire for 6 seconds, then he reloaded and I boosted forward but his reload was too fast and then he shot me when I was an inch from knifing him. 9 seconds of Batman out of 10.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
No offence, but you may just be nowhere near as good as you think you are?

I played some online MW3, had a great time, but will happily admit that I was far from good. Most of the time, the enemy had already sighted me before I could get my sights up. In a game like COD, a few bullets is all it takes to go down, so unless you religiously check your corners and always look behind you, there are always going to be firefights where you never stood a chance.

The killcam isn't some floating camera that sometimes films footage from funny angles to make you look bad for the lols. It's simply footage from the other guy's TV screen, showing you how you died.

Sorry, but ths strip comes across as "Y I dyin all teh time? my skills r teh best! Teh game is broken! Dere's no way its my fualt I b dyin!"

You didn't watch the video that the news post linked, did you?

If you still think it's really "Y I dyin all teh time? my skills r teh best! Teh game is broken! Dere's no way its my fualt I b dyin!" after watching that, well then, I don't know what to say to you.

Akalabeth:

I was shot through the length of a fire engine. Not side to side, front to back. rounds had penetration effects on the vehicle and hit markers through it on the other guy's kill cam.

These aren't just lag issues people.

MiracleOfSound:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Actually that's where you're wrong. The killcam in MW3 is a notorious liar, as it shows players that are sometimes up to almost a whole second in front of you in time advantage. There are many videos on Youtube that show this.

Is it lying or are you lagging though?
I mean sometimes I've had what I believe to be lag issues and the I run into a guy, shoot like 3-4 shotgun blasts then I die and on his kill cam I only shoot like one. Seems like a lag thing to me.

I guess the other player just caught you in the spotlight

Akalabeth:

Is it lying or are you lagging though?
I mean sometimes I've had what I believe to be lag issues and the I run into a guy, shoot like 3-4 shotgun blasts then I die and on his kill cam I only shoot like one. Seems like a lag thing to me.

From what I can gather it's something to do with MW3's lag compensation feature. It was the same in Blops.

COD4 and MW2 had their lag issues but I never got shot around corners in those games, unlike the last two.

YEEEEESSSSS!!!!! God I thought I needed a new router this whole time!

Welcome to Australia, where not living in the US means you lag horribly because discrimination is AOK.

Irridium:
You'd think that after making billions of this franchise they'd be able to afford some decent servers.

Why bother? most of the people who are going to buy it have already bought it, why should they bother spending any more money trying to please people who have already parted with their cash?

geizr:
I can't begin to tell you how many times, in PvP situations, I've had to deal with being teamed with some trolling ass-munch troglodyte who thinks he is so pro and superior to everyone else but, in reality, is the biggest fuck-up on the field. The score-card at the end usually tells the story quite clearly when you see him sitting near dead last across the board in contributions(if you're busy typing, you ain't fighting).

I know not everyone has the same level of skill, and I accept that. I'm only, at best, an average PvPer, myself. But I can't stand those people who come in thinking they are flawless, when they are really screwing up left and right just like the rest of us, and start bad-mouthing everyone else for mistakes.

Sounds like you've been playing DotA/ARTS games.

Liked the comic, pretty much as always since reading (unless it's based on a game I'm not familiar with) but even more so this week due to the "Cory and Grey" bit reminding me of the Toploader song

Which now that I think about it is probably what you were going for, figured there were more songs about "Dancing In The Moonlight" than there actually was

My favorite, from MW3 was that I was behind a guy ready to kill him when a host migration popped up. Before it popped up he was facing away from me. After the wait during the countdown to restart he was facing me and kill me. Stupid game.

Hey Giants are just trying to give you a flight to the next town.

I actually couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud when I saw the last panel :P doesn't usually happen in these comics

but yeah it's funny cuz it's true LOL...altho admittedly when it happens to me it's prob just cuz I suck and not just cuz of lag in the kill cam :/

Is because of this my Dad swears that there is something wrong with our modem.

The big question here is, why is the lag in TF2 much less severe than MW3?

veloper:
The big question here is, why is the lag in TF2 much less severe than MW3?

Because in TF2, like in the good ol' days of FPS gaming (or pretty much any multiplayer PC game that's not related to COD from MW2 and upwards), uses something called "dedicated servers", while every single game in the 360 and PS3 uses something called "peer to peer", or more commonly known as "hosted games".

Long story short, a dedicated server is way better and I'm still astonished to know that consoles still use the older and shitty method of peer to peer. It may be just right for Coop games, where you and a couple of buddies play together, but in competitive gaming, it's just the worst thing ever.

The difference between what you see and what the server decides (the kill cam); the server being the conglomerate of Peer to Peer machinations, is something I've noticed a lot playing Call of Duty.

Especially on high sensitivity; I'll hear someone behind me who's been lurking a corner of the room I entered, spin around and fire an accurate burst of 10 rounds into his chest; nothing, even though I got hit markers. The kill cam; however, shows that I've been staring at another corner as my gun wraps around my body. Fully automatic fire spewing from my barrel with each bullet traveling through the kill cam. I am killed in 2 shots from his desperate hip fire.

So what happened?

Well, my client was not synced with the "server" as well as his was. My client sent a messages that I hit him 10 times in the chest; however, the messages were sent slowly and my opponent's client was able to send two quick hit markers before I could. The server decided that he was the victor and had to figure out how to explain my loss even though I fire'd my weapon ten times.

The result was that I shot through myself and shot through him.

This stuff happens as a result of the game not needing dedicated servers.

PerfectDeath:
The difference between what you see and what the server decides (the kill cam); the server being the conglomerate of Peer to Peer machinations, is something I've noticed a lot playing Call of Duty.

Especially on high sensitivity; I'll hear someone behind me who's been lurking a corner of the room I entered, spin around and fire an accurate burst of 10 rounds into his chest; nothing, even though I got hit markers. The kill cam; however, shows that I've been staring at another corner as my gun wraps around my body. Fully automatic fire spewing from my barrel with each bullet traveling through the kill cam. I am killed in 2 shots from his desperate hip fire.

So what happened?

Well, my client was not synced with the "server" as well as his was. My client sent a messages that I hit him 10 times in the chest; however, the messages were sent slowly and my opponent's client was able to send two quick hit markers before I could. The server decided that he was the victor and had to figure out how to explain my loss even though I fire'd my weapon ten times.

You go through the whole post damning peer-to-peer, then say it doesn't need dedis?
...Wow.

leet_x1337:

PerfectDeath:

So what happened?

You go through the whole post damning peer-to-peer, then say it doesn't need dedis?
...Wow.

Call me crazy, but I believe he is saying it's happening BECAUSE it doesn't have dedis.

I live in a small village where someone actually dug up the fibre optic cables and stole our internets. I always look like that Hurf Durf muppet chef whenever I play CoD.

I have a new fave web series.

I know this thread is a little dead... but I just had to comment on it...

I don't think there is any other game that I have ever played that has mad me nerd rage SO HARD other than the modern warfare games. Playing MW3 is ridiculous. This *$&# happens to me nearly ever single game as well (I have a good connection so I guess I'm the host nearly every game). I have to consistently get the jump on my opponent by AT LEAST 2 seconds or I'm going to end up dead for sure.

On of my favorite classes to play is using a silenced pp90 w/ rapid fire and blind eye/assassin/stalker for perks. Using an smg and stalker you move pretty quick while ADS, so I usually just stay ADS constantly when moving. Even doing this when someone comes around a corner in front of me I am usually the one that ends up dying. I've always been pretty good a video games, and my reaction time is great (I usually never have problems in any other games that work well), but it MW games I pretty much have to be shooting at someones back if I expect to kill them.

I will be standing there ADS like I mentioned and someone will run around the corner. I'll immediately start firing, then a couple seconds later after I've fired about 10 shots close range, I will get killed by what I like to call "the first magic bullet" the enemy shoots, since that is all I see.

Then I watch the kill cam and it shows the enemy run around the corner about a full 2 seconds before it shows me start shooting, THAT IS IF it shows me shoot any bullets at all. All the while the enemy has come around the corner, seen me for about 2 seconds and it shows him fire off like 5 shots and kill me.

I'm not afraid to admit it... YEAH I AM MAD BRO
I'm really surprised I haven't broken something this pi$$es me off so bad.

So true

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or