The Big Picture: Skin Game

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I like these episodes that are really about the big picture in some way. Not to say that I don't like the comic/other media ones, but this seems to fit a lot more with the title of the show.

I, like most others here, can't stand PETA. While I disagree with people about vilifying Michael Vick for eternity (and don't make this argument start), I think that animals should be treated well and not abused -- but that should hardly be a controversial issue.

I didn't think I'd be the first to say this but the "we hate Mario because it encourages animal abuse" thing was a joke, PETA have even admitted that it was a joke.

http://kotaku.com/5860212/peta-that-whole-bloody-mario-thing-that-was-just-a-joke

That of course only helps to prove Bob right when he says it was nothing but them trying to get attention.

Here's my question to PETA: Where the hell were you when Super Mario Bros. 3 was released? Look at the costumes Mario and Luigi wore in that game.

When I first read about the who Tanooki suit thing, I just thought "Well thats just silly". After hearing all that, Im genuinly ill. Seriously, go fuck your self PETA!

PETA is a terrorist organization. That's pretty much all there is to it. I'm not sure if the act of terrorism itself is illegal in the United States, but the fact that PETA still exists when a glorified slaughterhouse is all it's ever been baffles me.

Thank you, Bob. As ever, I want you to impregnate me.

Bravo Bob, Bravo. Thank you for letting more people know about the monstrosity of a group. I hope that many more people in the world are more educated about the most hypocritical group in the world. You could compare their actions to Nazi Germany much more easily than poultry farming.

No Calumon, this topic would break the little guy's heart.

Lord Honk:
There's just so much about peta's propaganda that I don't understand. Why the tanuki suit, which may or may not be 100% polyester for all we know? Why Super Tofu Boy, if Super Meat Boy is not depicted as being any sort of animal meat? Why the Cooking Mama debacle? It's just so incredibly insane in and of itself, and that's disregarding any of peta's actual actions against real, actually living and breathing animals.

It's just.... I can't wrap my head around it, and it's driving me nuts (organically grown on free-range trees and all).

Because peta wants attention and the easiest way to do that is to chastise something popular. Like Video games. It's the same thing Politicians do, they use things like Terrorism to push their BS, increase the attention they get and the money.

It's Video Games and Terrorism now, it was Rap before that, Heavy Metal, Comic Books, TV, Howard Stern, blah blah blah.

Who cares if the suit is polyester, you think people who care about animals are going to bother looking that part up when they've already been told "Give money to us so we can save animals for you without you having to do any of the actual work!"

"This isnt even about PETA taking a shot at my main man Mario [...]"

But it is. I mean lets be honest here; what Bob says isnt wrong, but this was all brought on by his Mario Fanboyism.

Oh my God, I had no idea they were actively cruel to animals and now I'm so glad I never donated to them. Thank you, MovieBob, for raising awareness of these bastards.

(Also, thanks for the contact details.)

Oh my God, I had no idea they were actively cruel to animals and now I'm so glad I never donated to them. Thank you, MovieBob, for raising awareness of these bastards.

(Also, thanks for the contact details.)

My wife used to joke that PETA was created by the beef and poultry industries as a way to make their opposition look ridiculous. This was funny until we learned about PETA's ties to euthanasia, and the extremist underpinnings of their organization.

I don't judge a philosophy or movement by its extremist elements, but with PETA most people don't even realize it is an extremist organization, so I was very happy that you chose to do this video Bob. I also like that you're turning their "look at me" attention-grabbing on its head.

zombie711:
Bob three weeks in a row and we havent had any happy-go-lucky nerd culture episodes. Why not go back to Comic ARE WEIRD. That was always interesting

I found those to be kinda boring. Personally, I find these opinion episodes to be much better work.

Furioso:

Giest4life:
Great episode about PeTA, Bob, though I disagree with many of your positions regarding animals. For starters, there should be no such thing as "crimes against animals."

Really? So you wouldn't consider it to be a bad thing if you starved a dog nearly to death, chained it up so that skin actually grew around the metal of the chain, and threw rocks at it for having the audacity to beg its owner for some food, until it inevitably died a long and painful death?

I'm unabashedly apathetic to the pain of my fellow man who is scattered all around the globe, I see no reason why I should feel any differently towards animals. If it helps you get some perspective, I do not believe that there is any such thing as "rights"; the concept of "rights" is a social construct that is fully contingent on the time and place that they exist in.

Varya:

Giest4life:
Great episode about PeTA, Bob, though I disagree with many of your positions regarding animals. For starters, there should be no such thing as "crimes against animals."

Yes, it's not like they can feel anything.

No, it's more to do with me not caring than with animals not having feelings.

You forgot to mention their support of terrorism.

Gekidami:
"This isnt even about PETA taking a shot at my main man Mario [...]"

But it is. I mean lets be honest here; what Bob says isnt wrong, but this was all brought on by his Mario Fanboyism.

Seriously?

How is his episode brought on by Fanboyism? He stated at the beginning of the episode that the Mario game was probably a cry for attention through senseless criticizing of a popular character. He also talked about the flood of tweets and e-mails about this topic sense it covered video games in modern day culture - something he speaks about on this website.

OT: Awesome way to counter the attention getting shenanigans of PETA. I'm glad how informative this episode was about PETA's stance on animals and that it wasn't a rant on the game. If PETA is going to troll for attention, then it should also bring attention to their hypocrisy as well.

If those psychopaths go anywhere near your pets, it should be legal to kill them.
Lots of people with pets don't see them as their property, but as their companions. And you know what? That's exactly how pets see us. Humans and their pets.. it's something you should NOT come between.

When you pinch Bobby's games, he'll pinch back. (I just had to make that Hotel Mario reference.)

Urh:
I already knew about PETA killing nearly all the animals it "rescued", but I didn't know that they were (allegedly) "rescuing" animals from animal shelters and slaughtering them. And upon further thought (I try to expend as little mental energy on PETA as possible), their position on pets is akin to genocide.

It is Genocide.

Bob didn't really elaborate on this aspect of things or explain it. PETA is out to sort of restore nature and the way animals exist in it. Humans have bred numerous kinds of animals specifically for their own use and companionship that are either intristically friendly to humans and want to be taken care of (some dog breeds being friendlier than others) or are either incapable of surviving in nature, or would have an unfair advantage in trying to survive and compete in nature due to having been bred for things light fighting (guard/attack animals) or hunting. They want to remove domestication and also man-made animals as part of restoring the natural state of animals.

PETA by and large understands that a lot of it's support comes from animal lovers who also have pets, and similar things, so it tends to downplay these aspects of it's operation. After all if some guy or girl donates because they love their Mr. Fluffy, they don't want to disturb that and lose the money, hence their covering up of a lot of their activities. Likewise it's much easier to get people to give you animals to kill if they think they are going to be taken care of rather than killed.

Understand something important though, PETA is not "insane". I disagree with them on pretty much everything related to animal domestication, but I understand why they do what they do and what techniques they use. PETA is one of the few groups that actually understands that nothing can be accomplished by simply stomping around protesting and talking smack, it takes actual actions. Thus rather than saying "we need to wipe out domesticated animals and man-made breeds" they actually do whatever it takes to do it. Likewise no amount of protesting is going to convince big business to do something it really doesn't want to do, especially when there is a large enough divide for them to actually have supporters. Simply showing up to protest animal testing, farming, zoos, and other things does nothing... just like the guys squatting in protest of Wall Street did nothing. Hence them backing groups like the "Animal Liberation Front" or spawning/carrying out similar actions themselves. While you might disagree with them, they are quite rational in understanding what it takes to pursue their goal especially in light of substantial opposition.

Of course PETA is a group where I am actually cheering for the other side, as opposed to supporting their cause and hoping they succeed with what they are doing. I don't like them,
I just understand them. Truthfully a lot of movements could learn a lot from PETA and it's operations. Albiet when humans get involved you start talking about killing people (politicians and their supporters) not domesticated animals. For example as I've said before with the Wall Street Protests (which I actually have mixed opinions about, as opposed to being a totally supporter of) for that to work they would need to start actually attacking these bankers and their holdings. Otherwise if it's just about making noise they can just put on the figurative earplug and ignore it all because the law protects them (which is why it got to this point) and nothing forces them to listen or agree. Some dude sitting 60 floors above you doesn't give a crap if your freezing in the street because you don't like him, he's going to just make his money and do whatever and pretend you don't exist. On the other hand if a bunch of unwashed squatters break in and kill him, the other people in a similar position are going to go "whoa, maybe we should take this seriously" especially if the police seem less than capable of dealing with it. A few incidents like that and suddenly people start to realize that non-violent protest out there outnumbers the police hundreds or more to one and if they REALLY wanted to take action they could storm buildings. The demonstrated abillity and willingness to take action irregardless of the authorities, but instead choosing not to, is what makes non-violent protest work... but first you need to establish that you actually have the choice/power to try and do something. Without those kinds of credentials it's meaningless. PETA sort of gets that, and as a result they can't be entirely ignored like Bob says even if there is strong opposition and they don't have the numbers to act on a large scale. You ignore PETA and then you have PETA start breaking into places more frequently, or increasingly funding groups like ALF (which someone else mentioned)... which ensures that even if not well liked or winning, PETA stays on the map as much as people might hate what they stand for. The only way to beat them would be to convince the majority of the members they were wrong... without a membership it can't operated, and to their credit they are fanatical enough in great enough numbers to resist that despite the massive counter pressure.

Or in short... know your enemy, you can't deal with a serious opponent unless you at least have SOME respect for it. Anything that has lasted as long as PETA has by definition become more than a joke, regardless of what you might want to believe, you can't beat it (or head it off) without taking it seriously.

Giest4life:

Furioso:

Giest4life:

Really? So you wouldn't consider it to be a bad thing if you starved a dog nearly to death, chained it up so that skin actually grew around the metal of the chain, and threw rocks at it for having the audacity to beg its owner for some food, until it inevitably died a long and painful death?

I'm unabashedly apathetic to the pain of my fellow man who is scattered all around the globe, I see no reason why I should feel any differently towards animals. If it helps you get some perspective, I do not believe that there is any such thing as "rights"; the concept of "rights" is a social construct that is fully contingent on the time and place that they exist in.

Varya:

Giest4life:

Okay, so I should be able to beat you to a bloody death and not be punished because most people wont care. Not a threat just an example.

Someone was going to post it eventually.

Oh and PETA may have apologized for their Holocaust comparison but they haven't apologized for exploiting the victims of Jeffrey Dahmer to further their cause and as far as I'm concerned are complete fucking scum.

Neat. I never bothered caring about PETA before, and now I can actively dislike them with a clear conscience. In my mind I had it pegged as 'that charity that dumb girls who take off their clothes for money join because they like aminals' and aside from animal eugenics that sounds like all they really do in addition to trying to get gobs of money. Pretty special!

I say we euthanize PETA with the same implements they use.

This is the first TBP that I haven't been able to finish watching - not because it wasn't good, because it was great, but because Bob's "spoiler" warning hit home and I felt I needed to stop before I got really ill and disturbed.

PETA's biggest problem (besides that they're batballs insane and survive seemingly only by corrupting innocent well-meaning college students) is that they give legitimate animal rights organisations like the xSPCA and Humane Society a bad rap by association. Someone mentioned a Christian looking at the WBC and that's pretty accurate. Seemingly every few months in the Humane Society's magazine is someone ripping into them for their supposed "extreme" positions that are really that of PETA, and not supported by any animal-rights organisation with half a brain.

Animal lovers, let's get the message out louder than PETA's screechings: Standing up for animals does not mean being stupid about it.

Ok, I knew MOST of all this stuff (thanks to Penn and Teller's Bullshit).

But really? They condone trapping pets to kill them off? They actually adopt healthy animals only to slaughter them?! They dump the bodies into other people's dumpsters?!

...Jeez, I thought I couldn't hate their guts much more than I already did.

lord.jeff:

Giest4life:

Furioso:

Varya:

Okay, so I should be able to beat you to a bloody death and not be punished because most people wont care. Not a threat just an example.

Right, that is basically the gist of it.

I-I kinda want to throw up now.

I think Bob himself said it best a while back (I think it might have been on the tail end of one of his older Game Overthinker spots); "PETA, as an organization, operates on a level of douchebagarry somewhere between Xerxes and Clay Puppington." (from Adult Swim's Moral Orel)

PETA always reeked of a twisted facist cult to me. Ingrid Newkirk has a real "I'm the god! I'm the god!" look to her.

You know, there's a saying (is that how it's called?) in brazilian portuguese: "Matar a cobra e mostrar o pau", which roughly translates to "Kill a snake and show your blackjack (or club if you prefer it)", and basically means being really brave about something, or saying or doing something that's seriously impressive and gives and example to everyone else.

Moviebob, you, sir, did a great service for a lot of people today, while also risking a lot of angry e-mails from Peta supporters. You have killed a snake and shown your club.

Why can't we have animal activists like Ace Ventura? Sure, he's a fictional character played by Jim Carrey, but he knocked an old man out, slung him over his shoulder and paraded him around like a fur skinned scarf, all because the old mans lady friend was wearing one at the time.

I've never liked PETA, or their stance on pets. They're disgustingly hypocritical. I believe in animal rights, that pets and animals be treated well. I don't feel however that its wrong to eat animals, since we're omnivores and the digestive systems our bodies are equipped with are set up to eat them. The idea that some animal activists put forth, that animals don't experience jealousy or other human failings is laughable to me. They've never seen a dog get jealous when another dog gets more attention. Animals also fight for territory, which is something that humans also have a tendency to do. Its a fight for resources, even if its just better hunting ground or a watering hole. They also fight for dominance, to assert their place in the pecking order, another sign of correlation to human behavior.
There are many things I don't agree with that animal activists do, and I won't get into full detail here. But I will say that I care for animals and hate to see them mistreated, and I don't see that having them as pets is baseline mistreatment. Pets in loving homes get the chance to live full and healthy lives. Sick pets get treated whereas in the wild they would die. Even terminally ill pets get the chance to be humanely treated for their illness.
So I can never say that pets are mistreated simply by being pets. Sure there are bad pet owners, who neglect or otherwise mistreat their pets. But not all pet owners are like that.
Fuck PETA, and I hope one day people will realize just how hypocritical they are.

I'm surprised you didn't say anything about Newkirk's huge fucking private home which she claimed as a "headquarters" on her tax forms so that she could use funds people sent to PETA to build without having to pay taxes on it. The whole thing is bullshit. Newkirk is not in it for the animals, no matter how much she says she is and she doesn't even believe the euthanizing bullshit. For her, it's about the money.
This, by the way, is public record because PETA claims to be a non-profit organization, so if you go looking under whatever laws your state allows you to look up public records under, you can see this for yourself.

I knew most of this from before and share most of the beliefs put forward in the video. I believe animals should be treated with respect and avoid needless suffering even when they are animals used for food. The fact that Peta was against pets was new to me though and that really bothers me. Most animals live longer in captivity because they live in captivity.
Stray cats gets worms and suffers from it. Domesticated cats get worms then they get a pill which only results in some discomfort before they can go back to feeling perfectly fine. They get plenty of food and shelter. We can see the difference between stray cats and domesticated cats as the difference of living in a third world country and a wealthy country.

I have always been against the things Peta does, but now thanks to this video I am against Peta's ambitions too.

Im not sure if im naive but i had no idea peta did those kind of things. Thanks for getting this out there bob. Time to research the pants out of this!

cavalerie:
What ?
Are there still people that believe PETA wants to help animals ?
For fuck's sake, I live in a small country in Europe and I knew that.

Well, they do. I wrote a bigger response to it, but here is a detailed explanation. Please note I don't agree with this.

PETA's ultimate goal is a modification of human society. They embrace a sort of hippie-utopian vision of humans living totally in peace with nature, letting animals go about and do their thing, while we do nothing but subsist on plant matter, use entirely natural plant based products, and give up most of our cities and civilization and such. This is their long-term goals from what I've read, despite the name of the group. Think of like the wookies or ewoks minus the hunting of animals, and that is what they think humanity should be. Arguements about medicine, standard of living, and all of those things are irrelevent because preserving our own lifespans and living like we do is seen as being corrupt and without those things we'd never know we were missing them, and things like shorter human lifespans simply would mean a faster turnover of humans and less of a building of societies and the resulting problems, etc... basically we go back to sort of being animals ourselves.

As far as such things go, I suppose it's no worse than many other groups, I mean plenty of people in the left wing have been going on about the same basic "back to nature" thing for a long time now, the nobility of the savage, and how everyone should live that way. It's just that PETA is better organized and more savvy about it, taking things one step at a time. The thing to understand is that there is no way to treat the enviroment, especially animals, ethically by their standards, while maintaining human civilization.

PETA's basic attitude is that it's cruel and wrong to test on animals for medical purposes and the creation of commercial products, and the assured safety of those products (ie better on animals than people) is irrelevent when we shouldn't be striving to have those things anyway.

When it comes to animal domestication, they believe in an attitude of untouched nature, but animals that have been "tainted" by humanity over thousands of years cannot return to nature and still thrive as intended. Likewise types of animals created by humanity cannot fit into a natural balance. A dog bred to be an unusually tough fighter by humans would have an unfair advantage unintended by nature and thus couldn't fit into the balance. Likewise animals bred for companionship that need people would be unable to compete (and perhaps always seek human companionship as a sort of inborn instinct) and it would be cruel to try and make them do so.

To put the latter point into perspective, look at some of the purebred dogs out there, especially things like the "toy" breeds. While there have been similar breeds in nature those traits came from, sometimes you might wonder how say a Toy Poodle could survive in nature without humans, especially seeing as it needs to have the hair around it's eyes trimmed to be able to see properly... and the answer is it really couldn't (a full sized poodle might be a bit differant). Likewise a lot of large, predatory animals were never intended to compete with things like German Shepards, Pit Bulls, and other variaties of dogs for fighting and hunting that have been continually strengthened through eugenics and pure breeding for the best traits over many, many years. Even specialized breeds like Dauchsunds [SP] (those long "sausage dogs") are a problem, as those dogs are very good at specific things. The Daugchsund for example is designed to dig into burrows of animals and kill them in their den, something that humans bred for their own purposes, and left to roam could change that entire equasion.

Now of course we could argue dogs breeding these traits out of themselves over a period of time, and so on and so forth, but the bottom line is that PETA's entire "back to nature" view has a consistant theme to it. They believe they are helping animals in general by removing certain breeds and traits. Breeds developed to be pets/friendly are removed in favor of independant animals and to reduce the chances of further domestication. Breeds with natural advantages are eliminated for the benefit of other animals. PETA doesn't say favor animals humans like, they are thinking that say a Dauchsund (again I can't remember how to spell it for sure) is unfair to burrowing rodents they were bred to hunt down and eliminate. To PETA's overall goals the rodents are just as important as the dogs. Nature intended burrowing vermin to be everywhere and dealing with them in farms and such should be a problem humanity deals with especially if it keeps us small by limiting our food supply to their way of thinking.

This is how I understand them and their mentality from various things I've read. Insane? Well not really, it's a consistant logic and ambition. Do I agree with them, no... no... just no. They aren't insane, but to me they might as well be. Among other things I think they overlook that humanity evolved the way it did for a reason (domesticating animals, and increasingly complex tools and civilization) and we were intended to be this way. Other animals can't usually domesticate other species (though there are cases of symbiotic relationships), we can, and honestly I think for us that's part of what we are, one of our traits sort of like cats and their claws.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here