The Big Picture: Skin Game

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Jennacide:
You forgot to mention one more important aspect of PETA, Bob. That being that they are constantly using said money from attention to fund the legal defense of eco-terrorists. One of the better known cases where they jumped to the aid of a known arsonist he torched part of a Michigan University because of an animal testing lab. Oh, and without releasing the animals.

Yeah, letting all the animals inside BURN TO DEATH is pretty ethical, isn't it PETA? You fucking morons.

This is one of the things I was alluding to (although it was Michigan State University, but that is picking nits), so you beat me to it. They fund eco-terrorism. The people that run PETA are complete nutjobs that hide their true goals behind the mask of helping animals.

BTW...another fun one that Penn and Teller talked about. The VP of PETA uses insulin, which contains animal byproducts. A practice PETA would end given the opportunity. That is right, the VP gladly saves her own life while wanting to deny you the same thing. The whole organization is hypocritical and unethical.

Glass Joe the Champ:
Thanks Bob for doing an episode on this. There's nothing that bugs me more than a radical group that undermines the people they supposedly agree with. As an vegan and animal rights activist, I feel like a Christian probably does with Westboro Baptist Church.

Worse, really. I think it's fairly well understood, even by the sorts of people that have made careers out of hating on Christians (Bill Maher, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, P.Z. Meyers), that nobody is as evil as the WBC except the WBC. Whereas PETA is frequently taken seriously as a representative of animal-rights people or even people who are against animal cruelty in general.

Take, for example, one episode of "The Nostalgia Critic" (I forget which one); he was talking about a character from whatever movie he was riffing on and how whatever he was doing constituted animal cruelty, and added "Somebody call fucking PETA!" Not "Somebody call the fucking SPCA" or something like that. I know it was just a random joke, but seeing how it had nothing to do with ecoterrorism or the senseless slaughter of people's pets (yes, I've known what PETA does for some time now) it was like calling for Osama bin Laden to deal with a character who hates Muslims.

Wow, never knew any of that.

As good and interesting as this episode was I feel the need to just go and hug my dog for a while.

Giest4life:
I do not believe that there is any such thing as "rights"; the concept of "rights" is a social construct that is fully contingent on the time and place that they exist in.

Solipsistic (I think that's the right word) much?

OT: PeTA. Not a huge fan. I love my family's dog. I love animals. But like some other animals, I enjoy meat. So yeah. I detest PETA. If you have to resort to violence and comparing people to Hitler to get your point across, you've lost. I'm sorry, but you've not a leg to stand upon.

90%? Damn, and I thought the animal shelter in my town had a high euthanasia rate. I mean, I knew PETA was a BS organization who never practiced what they preached and have beliefs that flat-out conflicted with their alleged goal, but that is just... wow.

The animal shelter in my town has about an 80% euthanasia rate, a day. They have an old Dodge Pickup, which I call the Grave Runner, that routinely takes the bodies of euthanized animals to be "disposed of" multiple times a day. And I'm talking it's bed is full.

While I'm applauded at how many are killed each day, they kind of don't have a choice. Well they do, but the second option is try to stuff eight animals into a cage built to hold one. The problem stems from two things:

1) Too many ignorant people flat-out refusing to get their pets neutered or spaded.
2) Our moronic city council not giving the shelter the money it needs to get expansions that are 20 years overdue.

So yes. Please get your pets neutered or spaded. If you're worried about the cost then search around, and I'm sure you'll find a local program that will help with the cost. Just don't ask PETA for help.

Bara_no_Hime:
I've mostly just ignored the crap out of PETA because, well, I love leather, meat, and fur.

When I saw leather, I totally went in a horrible direction with it. XD

I did know about the pet and euthanasia thing. They almost seem like a group of videogame supervillans.

Yeah, donate to the ASPCA instead, they're the ones that are actually working with animals and trying to re-home them/taking them away from abusive homes. At least when they euthanize their animals it's when they don't have a choice/money/space.

CM156:

Giest4life:
I do not believe that there is any such thing as "rights"; the concept of "rights" is a social construct that is fully contingent on the time and place that they exist in.

Solipsistic is the wrong adjective to describe me, there. Solipsism is an epistemological viewpoint, not social theory.

Giest4life:

CM156:

Giest4life:

Solipsistic is the wrong adjective to describe me, there. Solipsism is an epistemological viewpoint, not social theory.

Fair enough.

You are aware, though, that the idea of unalienable rights are the basic foundation of Western Law, along with Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (Presumption of innocence) and due process of law, right? By saying that there is no such thing as "rights" you're calling the western legal system a sham. Perhaps what you're trying to say is that rights change over time due to different values of a culture. Is that correct?

Bob, you rule!

That is the big picture!

Pen & Teller did a great episode of Bullshit on PETA. Including their tie to and support of domestic terrorist groups.

I'm normally one of the "I may not agree with what your saying, but will fight to the death for your right to say it" crowd but for PETA I think I'm willing to make an exception, or at least look the other way while someone shuts the down.

Giest4life:

CM156:

Giest4life:

Sweet, a game of Semantics. Can I play?
"Its not Psychology, its Sociology."

Anyways, let me ask you this: (and I'm sure I'm opening a dark door here...) Even if you cannot feel any empathy for animals or fellow humans, can you still deny how interaction with them in your life is necessary? If not, can you tell me that supporting their well-being ultimately serves your own existence?

Does Bob not read the Escapist? The Escapist explained that Peta intended the whole Mario thing to be seen as a joke (they don't genuinely believe that Mario promotes the fur trade).

Now I hate having to defend such a shitty organisation, but I have to make some points about some of the hard truths Bob tells about Peta.

1) In regards to the high rates of euthanasia; they specifically advertise themselves as a euthanasia clinic, and people regularly approach them with pets they want to euthanise. Most keenels and shelters don't provide this service, hence why their rates of euthanasia are lower (though still usually about 60-70%). The euthanasia service is regulated, and it is apparently humane and performed by professionals. Seeing as how they are officially against you owning a pet in the first place, they see it as a means of making the best of a bad situation. Yeah, I think it is bullshit that they kill nearly every pet they take in - but the devil is in the details: most people hand their pets to them for the purpose of being euthanised, and those who hand their pets over without realising they will be killed - wait, have they never heard of peta before?

2) The specific incident of the two guys ditching animal corpses was not a case of animal cruelty. They were not condemned for being cruel to the animals (which had been euthanised in a legally sanctioned method) but they were indeed criticised for unceremoniously ditching the bodies in garbage cans. Their excuse? "The corpses were stinking up the van". Okay, that isn't acceptable, but it isn't animal cruelty (in the eyes of the law at least).

I genuinely dislike defending peta, but I do like peta for some things. I especially like their ad campaigns where Eva Mendez poses nude in protest against the fur trade.

"Stop buying fur, and we'll stop sending you naked pictures of celebrities!"
Yeah, I can't see that plan back firing at all.

Wow...that made me really REALLY angry...

So angry, that I went and gave my cat a hug...who was also a rescue...

"$#%# you, mario"?

No...

"Fuck you, PETA"

The lesson here, PETA is bad...
Shocker.

I was well aware of PETA's, shall we say, less than noble side already. But it's always fun to hear about their massive amounts of hypocrisy again.

Seriously though, if you're at all interested in Animal rights or prevention of animal abuse, you should definitely steer clear of PETA and instead look to the ASPCA or WWF.
If only because, the less people supporting PETA, the less funding it gets and therefore, the faster it goes away.

This is exactly what I have said before. The worst part about the PETA thing is that they ridicule real organisations who do take care of animals and make people more blaze about the whole thing. It is a real shame that they end up discrediting real animal protection groups who are serious about what they do.

Also, I seriously ignore PETA and have done for a long while. When people mention PETA I just stop listening and shrug it off.

I told you guys in another thread about a month ago...Stop giving them attention...

Great work there, Bob. You brought your opinion (which on the whole I agree with but all disagreements are with me being more on the welfare side) without losing sight and going nuts. As someone who greatly dislikes PETA, I think you also gave me a little more flack to use against them. Never heard of the whole thing about "Ingrid the dog catcher" 0__0. Man I hate that woman.

I'm surprised you didn't talk about the other instances of PETA vs games (like the Battlefield 3, Cooking Mama, Super Tofu Boy, and COD and other shooter that involves killing wild, war or zombie dogs), but I guess this is the more famous case and is the hot topic. I can dig it. Though it does bring a bit of perspective with how they think it would be cruel to try to kill a dog that is lunging at someone's throat. They're not going up there for kisses, that's for sure.

CM156:

Giest4life:

CM156:

Fair enough.

You are aware, though, that the idea of unalienable rights are the basic foundation of Western Law, along with Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (Presumption of innocence) and due process of law, right? By saying that there is no such thing as "rights" you're calling the western legal system a sham. Perhaps what you're trying to say is that rights change over time due to different values of a culture. Is that correct?

Yes, I supposed, I'm calling the Western legal system a sham. I've always considered my position as antithetical to the conventional view on society, but I've never really singled as Western legal code as more of a shame than, let's say, Islamic law.

In conclusion, I'm not alone in calling it a sham. They are many wiser than I am who have declared it all a shame, but the flaw is just too deeply rooted for even the best of us to rectify.

"Here's their contact information. Perhaps you'd like to ask them about it."

Bob, many of your little rants tend to annoy the living hell out of me. But this one? I freaking loved it.

PETA will know the trolly, trolly wrath of MovieBob. They will know it and tremble.

Towels:

Giest4life:

CM156:

Sweet, a game of Semantics. Can I play?
"Its not Psychology, its Sociology."

Anyways, let me ask you this: (and I'm sure I'm opening a dark door here...) Even if you cannot feel any empathy for animals or fellow humans, can you still deny how interaction with them in your life is necessary? If not, can you tell me that supporting their well-being ultimately serves your own existence?

It is empirically false that encouraging the well-being of each and every animal and person that I encounter will have a positive affect on my well-being. Do not the locusts also need to feed? Yet we poison them ruthlessly. Do not the roaches and the flies have a right to life? Yet we feel no remorse when we exterminate them. Your "empathy" only extends insofar your aesthetic, or your survival instinct allows it to. But, wait, there's more! The computer that I'm using, the snug sneakers that I'm waring, the warm jacket that I've on, and the roof above my house are all a product of someone else living a less privileged life than me. We have put up a facade of caring for the poor little sweatshop laborers. We take comfort that we are spiritually for the well-being of our fellow man, but we leave the decisions to our politicians and then blame them, along with the banks, for not getting more done for the horrible living conditions of people all around the world.

Am I the only one who read the article that they were just kidding? NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO HAVE NOTICED THIS HUGELY IMPORTANT DETAIL.

Beside that though, yeah they suck.

Wow, I know PETA were exaggerated whiney bitches, but this "euthanasia" shit is way beyond anything I had ever imagined. I am startled, to see something as crazy as this exists, I don't understand it. Americans. ARE. WEIRD. :b

Anyway, very inspiring video, I'll be sure to warn my whiney vegan friends about the dangers of PETA. By the way, this people make amazing movie villains, so deliciously full of Evil.

Giest4life:

Furioso:

Giest4life:
Great episode about PeTA, Bob, though I disagree with many of your positions regarding animals. For starters, there should be no such thing as "crimes against animals."

Really? So you wouldn't consider it to be a bad thing if you starved a dog nearly to death, chained it up so that skin actually grew around the metal of the chain, and threw rocks at it for having the audacity to beg its owner for some food, until it inevitably died a long and painful death?

I'm unabashedly apathetic to the pain of my fellow man who is scattered all around the globe, I see no reason why I should feel any differently towards animals. If it helps you get some perspective, I do not believe that there is any such thing as "rights"; the concept of "rights" is a social construct that is fully contingent on the time and place that they exist in.

Varya:

Giest4life:
Great episode about PeTA, Bob, though I disagree with many of your positions regarding animals. For starters, there should be no such thing as "crimes against animals."

Yes, it's not like they can feel anything.

No, it's more to do with me not caring than with animals not having feelings.

But the statement that there should be no such thing as "crimes against animals" implies that you think it's a good thing to torture them, a better way to put it would be that you think animal abuse is bad, but you really couldn't care less

That was a truly brilliant way to end it

I'm in conservation biology and even I can't stand these guys. They are extremists in the worst possible way. I get that most of them have their hearts in the right place, but they have to understand that you can't force others into your beliefs and that sometimes, you have to be able to compromise with people. It's their way, and anyone who doesn't follow it is on par with Hitler.

PETA...

People who
Eat and
Torture
Animals

Lord Honk:
There's just so much about peta's propaganda that I don't understand. Why the tanuki suit, which may or may not be 100% polyester for all we know? Why Super Tofu Boy, if Super Meat Boy is not depicted as being any sort of animal meat? Why the Cooking Mama debacle? It's just so incredibly insane in and of itself, and that's disregarding any of peta's actual actions against real, actually living and breathing animals.

It's just.... I can't wrap my head around it, and it's driving me nuts (organically grown on free-range trees and all).

Seconded. Does PeTA get it's direction from it's equivalent of the chan of the fours or something?

People seem to get the wrong idea about PETA from stuff like this. The thing is that from PETA's perspective they're not evil. To the rest of the world they look like heartless monsters who run around killing cute little kittens and puppies when they don't feel bad about what they're doing at all, other people just don't understand.

PETA considers domesticated animals aberrations of natural species. Thus they should all be eliminated. Humanity brought something into the world that never should have been, and PETA is the only organization with the cajones to do what must be done to correct the error of domestication.

Other than the corruption in the upper echelons of PETA the only thing they're doing wrong is not siding with the majority of people who don't want to admit that their adorable wittle puppies and cute fluffy kittens were a mistake.

You can call them hypocrites and every insult under the sun but until you understand that this is what they believe then their genocide will continue. PETA isn't something to be ignored, as said in the comments they're the nazis of the animal world and should be treated as such. Ignoring them will only cause their actions to go unchecked, so give them the attention they deserve. The MovieBob brand of attention. PETA needs to be shut down NOW, not ignored.

Glad to see the information being put out there more. After seeing it on Penn and Tellers Bullshit! I was surprised it wasn't more common knowledge, hopefully this and other people will try and spread the word.

"PETA knows that gamers are pretty much the only subculture that hasn't figured out that if we ignore them they'll go away."

No. Gamers are the only subculture that are so mired in insecurity that they are almost defined by the way they lash out at anything they perceive as less than 100% supportive of them, and thus are easily exploited by shady business such as this.

For this episode and the many equally insightful ones that you have made Bob, I would gladly buy you a beer in the extremely unlikely event in which I run into you in a pub somewhere.

tetron:
People seem to get the wrong idea about PETA from stuff like this. The thing is that from PETA's perspective they're not evil.

Really, dude? Really? Did you think anyone thought that PETA people woke up every day and said 'TODAY I SHALL DO EVIL!'? Then they pet their white cat which they proceed to immediately kill?

Of course they don't think of themselves as evil. No one outside of a bad Hollywood movie or videogame does. Bob just pointed out some of the things they do, which they themselves are quite aware that would not curry them favours with the population at large. No one is accusing their poisition of being inconsistent, we're just positioning ourselves on the opposite side to them

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here