The Secret World Preview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Secret World Preview

Come to The Secret World, the unMMO. Now with Cthulhu!

Read Full Article

So yeah, fingers crossed it goes free to play?

It's not going to be Free-to-play. It's going to combine a subscription and microtransactions.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/the-secret-worlds-business-model-to-feature-subs-and-cash-shop/

Subscription fees AND microtransactions?

No thank you. The game looks awesome though.

2xDouble:
It's not going to be Free-to-play. It's going to combine a subscription and microtransactions.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/the-secret-worlds-business-model-to-feature-subs-and-cash-shop/

Aye, with the cash shop selling cosmetic items and possibly crafting material, which goes against their statement of not selling power in it, even if it's just indirectly.

Otherwise, no amount of praise is going to buy me on this game, especially praise about the beginner experience. And you know why? Age of Conan was being lavished with love about its beginner experience, something many people only got to try out in the betas before launch.

And after launch, people found out the game after that point was sheer crap compared to it. It's simple to polish a tiny part of a game to get some easy loving, instead of ensuring all of the game is well off, at launch.

My only question is when the hell is it coming out? I mean it was announced like two years ago and since then we get a vid every few months telling us how great it is.

Just set a date for crip's sake. If ya have too work on it an extra month people wont mind waiting for polish, hell they may get more excited over it. People(myself included) just want to have a general idea of when we can expect it.

Also Ive heard off and on rumblings about it being on 360, I'd like them to confirm that as well.

I knew my schoolboy Latin would come in handy one day!

Primus1985:
My only question is when the hell is it coming out? I mean it was announced like two years ago and since then we get a vid every few months telling us how great it is.

Just set a date for crip's sake. If ya have too work on it an extra month people wont mind waiting for polish, hell they may get more excited over it. People(myself included) just want to have a general idea of when we can expect it.

Also Ive heard off and on rumblings about it being on 360, I'd like them to confirm that as well.

It's releasing next April.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/16/gamescom-2011-the-secret-world-launching-april-2012/
(Massively strikes again)

My most anticipated game for the next 5 years. FunCom is showing with TSW that they're not rushing this one, like they did with AoC and AO. And this time, they have the most genius game director and writer/producer in the history of video games on the team, Ragnar Tørnquist. (The Longest Journey and Dreamfall)

And best of all: The first fucking MMO in the history of mankind for INTELLIGENT human beings!

I'm interested in this game (especially after the Agency was canceled) but whether I'll be picking it up depends on whether Guild Wars 2 will be available at the time of release.

Kingsmouth huh. Definitely not Innsmouth Massachusetts, that's for sure.

Susan Arendt:
The Secret World Preview

Read Full Article

Damn me -- I've sworn off MMOs, but I can't help but be curious/excited about this one. This preview did not help. You're enabling my habit, Ms. Arendt.

Dastardly:

Susan Arendt:
The Secret World Preview

Read Full Article

Damn me -- I've sworn off MMOs, but I can't help but be curious/excited about this one. This preview did not help. You're enabling my habit, Ms. Arendt.

My work here is done!

Mooboo Magoo:

I assumed WoW would be the only game to continue doing this.

Loop Stricken:

Mooboo Magoo:

I assumed WoW would be the only game to continue doing this.

Give it time, they all cave in the end if there is money to be made.

OT: I'm certainly interested in this, especially if the quests and puzzles involve actually thinking instead of glorified walking. Okay, googling, but still.

As for the payments, I wouldn't really mind a 15$ a month fee to play, that's not bad at all. However, I sincerely hope that they *just* do the fee and the micros, because one trend that I very much hope is dying out of MMOs is the stupid 60$ "buy-in" activation fee. The hell? Sixty dollars is not curiosity money, people!

Susan Arendt:
My work here is done!

Indeed. I'll watch the game closely... but I feel there's really no way a game can get me back into paying a subscription. MMOs have lost the feeling of "virtual real estate" that gave them real persistence. In all the current offerings, you're playing a single-player game that has some multiplayer options in it, but the world is a transient "visual lobby" in which you chat while looking for a group.

Star Wars Galaxies had player housing that was in the world, not instanced. And with the vendor system, you had reason to go there. You had a feeling that, even when you were logged out, you still had a real, visible footprint in the world. Same all the way back to Ultima Online.

That feeling is gone. Your only "real estate" is your character, and I appreciate that The Secret World is allowing you to decide your look, rather than forcing your character model to simply be a rented Trophy Case. Even then, the character itself isn't enough, because identity is portable -- I can create "my character" in as many games as I want to. To anchor me in the world, I need something that intimately connects my character to it.

In that regard, earlier games tried harder, because they had to in order to get people over the idea of paying monthly. That seal is well past broken now, and $15/month has become so accepted as to be beyond challenge or question.

A single-player (and single-pay) experience like Skyrim has more persistence (and, I don't know, "Worldness?") to it than any MMO out there right now. And the world is as big as you please, too. The Secret World will have to have something major to justify continuous payment...

I'm really looking forward to this one, I just hope it lives up to what it is promising, and especially that it does justice to all the folktales and whatnot.

I definitely won't have a problem with paying a monthly fee, as long as the quality extends past the beginning area.

cursedseishi:

2xDouble:

Aye, with the cash shop selling cosmetic items and possibly crafting material, which goes against their statement of not selling power in it, even if it's just indirectly.

Otherwise, no amount of praise is going to buy me on this game, especially praise about the beginner experience. And you know why? Age of Conan was being lavished with love about its beginner experience, something many people only got to try out in the betas before launch. (That said, the quality really picked up in the first year after launch, removing most of the bugs and restoring and adding content)

And after launch, people found out the game after that point was sheer crap compared to it. It's simple to polish a tiny part of a game to get some easy loving, instead of ensuring all of the game is well off, at launch.

Key differences being that Age of Conan was published by Eidos, who stopped funding Funcom prematurely, forcing them to release the game in an Alpha stage if the game was going to ever fly at all.

Now EA is watching over The Secret World, and seeing how gracious they've been with Bioware and The Old Republic, I'm fairly sure they've given Funcom all the money and time needed to make this one shine.

I'm very intrigued. I might even play, and I don't like MMOs.

Burn me once, shame on me. Burn me 14 times, what am I, a dumbass? No. No MMO gets me excited before release any more. Is the hype still swirling and people buying it in large quantities 6 months after release? That's when I'll start getting interested. Too many flashes in too many pans at this point.

2xDouble:

But later could adopt a F2P model. It has proven to be great even with micro-transactions. Look at Guild wars or more recently the DC Universe game that went f2p (but with certain restrictions that do not step on your gameplay in any way).

So hoping for it to become f2p like 5 months or so after it's launch is a valid wish xD

Kingsmouth... Innsmouth... Iseewhatyoudidthar.

Much as I could not STAND Funcom's previous MMO, Anarchy Online, I had faith in this when it was first announced, so much so I signed up for the Templars when their first teaser went out.
I am so glad I was not disappointed.

Been following TSW progress on and of for bit over a year now, and from all i've read and seen, it has potential to be a kickass mmo.
While i am more excited about SW:TOR atm, i will be giving this a go wether or not i am actively playing SW:TOR, it might make a nice second mmo for when the main one gets boring or is under maintenance or there simply is nothing to do in it.

The character building style especially shows promise for casual playstyle, the ability to pick some basic skills and jump almost straight into action, but with greater complexity coming over time (assuming you don't hit your absolute favorite skill combo in first hit).
Anyone up to date on how much gear impacts your power level? It was at one time stated that it would be somewhere between none and little, but haven't been actively following for few months now.

I am very, very interested in this. I've been following it for a couple years now, and really.. don't know anything about it aside from little details.

It seems so utterly unique, with a style all it's own. Apparently it's going to be a very social meta-game, inside and out. I love the 'fashion' aspect, as silly as that sounds, but the lack of 'uniqueness' in MMOs has been one of their biggest weaknesses for a decade now. So I think you're absolutely right that people will start defining themselves based off what region they habit the most, or what their attitude/behavior is, and it will become a part of the game itself. Like, "Oh, those guys, yea I'm not really into their style of play." or "I recognize those people from when I was in Egypt." etc.

Color me intrigued with The Secret World, as usual.

Good to see more news on TSW, been feeding to scraps for whats seems like months. Very much looking forward to it modern day setting MMORPG is a huge plus for me.

Oh and I'll be playing as a templar for sure, though I remember when lurking the TSW forums some time ago that the vast majority of people wanted to play as dragon. I hope the balance between the factions evens out when the game actually launches.

2xDouble:

Thanks for that. Very well, fingers crossed it goes free to play. Not that I wish the company ill I just won't be able to play it otherwise.

Gah.. now that they're actually promoting it as a story and character based game instead of essentislly the MMO lite action game it was looking to be for a while I must admit I'm interested again. The real world connections to the story and quests are one of the things that appealed to me when I first heard about it. Not to mention the modern day setting and cosmetic clothing options.

Still giving it a wide berth until we really here what the actually long term game play is like, especially given that it will have a sub fee. LOTRO is able to sate pretty much all of my MMO desires without having a sub fee and without having an obscene amount of grinding or even any real world money spending if you so choose. A new game would have to give me a hell of a lot to make paying a sub fee feel worth it to me again.

I never saw the problem with subscriptions, they basically boil down to being $0.3 a day. You won't even notice that if someone took that out of your wallet. And you certainly wouldn't be able to get anything for that price, so hey, on a day to day basis it seems fair to me. Developing post-launch content and server maintenance doesn't come cheap.

This is very very intriguing. Monthly fees annoy me, but I don't play MMOs as MMOs, I play them as long singleplayer games that I have to beat quickly or pay additional money, so I could probably swing a couple months of it. If it as as impressive as it sounds, of course.

I was really hoping that TSW would eventually turn out that, since there were 3 factions that your success or failure in PvE missions against the other 2 factions somehow had an effect other than well to gather XP and cash.

Is there any evidence my hopes might come to pass?

Hmm, I maybe out of the loop here, but didn't funcom have the right to the World of Darkness MMO nailed down? This sounds an awful lot like the world of darkness (where you're essentially playing a Hunter...) with different terminology for stuff.

wut? You can fight Cthulhu? Seems pretty canon breaking.

it sounds different and unique in the MMO world. its definitely caught my attention although ill probably forget it exists by release day

I dont mind Subscriptions or Cash shops, but not both in one game... not intrested.

I hate how subscriptions went from being a the evil required to play a everchanging game with a lot of other gamers in the same persistant world, to a entry fee that doesnt cover the extra content or all the items in the game.

The item shops ruined it all, the old free to play got revenue from adverts where you could pay a fee to remove the ads, now its you can play the game for free but the best stuff cant be earned in game but for just a few £££ you too can own this ultra powered sword of axing the shotgun of miniguns.

I was hooked into AoC by the marketing and hype and Funcom failed soooooo hard with that title, despite the intresting start of the game... it was when you first left Tortuga it went to hell quickly, buggy , laggy with bad PvP and a really stupid resource and crafting system... the much vaunted and hyped active combat system was flawed as hell, in such a obvious and basic manner... hitting your fancy combos and finally executing that powerfull finisher only to note that your opponent wasnt brain dead and had...stepped out of range of your whirling axes of doom, and set all thier 300 monsters, zombies and various horrors to attack you.
Sure its all fixed now ( maybe ) but it doesnt sort out the fact my cash was wasted on yet another mmo box ( along with Vangaurd:Saga of Heroes, LotrO (collectors ed. ), Aion and WoW )... bad reputation is bad.

Personally I gave up on MMO's for the most part and satisfy my occasional MMO twitch with the basic free2play asian style MMO's out there, and LoL ( looking at DOTA2, Tribes and Firefall as well ).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here