No Right Answer: Best Anime Series Ever

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Best Anime Series Ever

A lot of you have mentioned that anime subjects don't get a fair chance due to Dan's hatred for the genre. Fair enough, so we went out and found some random guy to argue, allowing Kyle to judge this one. Best Anime Series Force Alpha Robot Squad Gooooooo!

Watch Video

Honestly neither are the best anime they are both very overrated and used to sell their merchandise. It would be hard to pick by personal favorite series although one of my favorite would be Monster.

As long as we're just talking amine aimed at younger audiences, I very much agree. Pokemon was not bad but it was in no way as good as Digimon. Just my opinion

They're both terrible and I stopped watching them when I was old enough to recognise that they were terrible, the same with DBZ.

Ghost in the Shell on the other hand...

I love me some Major.

Digimon had a far better story and characters than Pokemon. How the heck Pokemon anime lasted this long is beyond me.

Daystar Clarion:
They're both terrible and I stopped watching them when I was old enough to recognise that they were terrible.

I love me some Major.

Digimon is not terrible. Pokemon (show) is the definition of terrible. Digimon kicks some major ass.

Now this is no right answer!
While I was a huge Pokemon fan but I don't care that the anime lose due to the fact it's still going somehow (the day Ash does become a Pokemon Champion will be the day the series will end which will never happen).
Heck I even agree that Digimon had alot more freedom while Pokemon is just following the game plot but I disagree that having women voicing the young male character is a bad thing (it's their culture and women do provide great voices to young male characters).

Code Geass will always be my favourite. Good length, everything links, its very clever, good characters, great battle scenes and most importantly.....C2.

Pokemon had Jessie.

A well-endowed lady tips the scale any day.

Eri:

Daystar Clarion:
They're both terrible and I stopped watching them when I was old enough to recognise that they were terrible.

I love me some Major.

Digimon is not terrible. Pokemon (show) is the definition of terrible. Digimon kicks some major ass.

It kind of doesn't.

Sure, I liked it when I was 11-12, but I grew out of it.

Looking at it now, as an adult, it's full of terrible character archetypes and high pitched voices, dear lord, the voices.

A lot of things made for children just can't hold up to the standards of an adult, and that's fine, they weren't supposed to, but I'm not going to let myself be blinded by nostalgia goggles and claim that they're awesome.

Digimon had badass monsters and was pretty dark in tone at times. So it wins outright.

Although the title is misleading as neither are contenders for 'best anime series ever'.

DBZ beats both.

I thought they were both rather shallow. But for some reason Pokémon had some more memorable stuff like Team Rocket being the most pathetic villains in the history of anything, always getting blasted off into the sky and finishing with a small audible sparkle.

Digimon didn't seem to be able to decide how edgy or serious it wanted to be, and the character design was all over the place. Pokémon had a very episodic structure, which meant the next episode could bring something completely fresh on the table. Didn't necessarily succeed in doing this, but generally you didn't know what was coming towards you, which is thanks to excessive filler between the gyms and negligence of the titular "gotta catch em all" mission.
Digimon was highly formulatic.
Find the X devices. Once everyone has one, everyone gets their first evolution. Once everyone has one, everyone gets their second evolution. We defeat a minor boss. Everyone upgrade to third evolution to slay the dragon. Time for the fourth evolution and/or Deus Ex Machina to slay the Big Bad that wants to conquer the world.

They both were nowhere near stellar tho and are mainly held up by nostalgia. I don't think either was clever or thought-provoking or pushed any limits. I think this episode would be better with a title like "Which is the best (nostalgic) mon series?" and even then you got somewhat competitors like Monster Ranger.
Anime in itself is way too diverse to make it a competition with clear overview and few contestants. That's like asking "What's the best book?" or "What's the best song?" without relying on stats like popularity.

Casual Shinji:
Pokemon had Jessie.

A well-endowed lady tips the scale any day.

/agreed

Pokemon had more to work with, what with the broad range of critters that they would play around with, while Digimon could only go so far with their small cast of people/critters, much like Gus who couldn't complete his final argument, asking if they were done yet.

And I think the final argument is invalidated by the fact that Gus didn't finish his Jones soda until AFTER the final argument was over. I call shenanigans!

between those two choice, Digimon is made for a slightly older audience and thanks to that has much richer story arcs.

overall though, neither is even in the top100, let alone best ever.

Chris was in fine form today, but Gus...please don't bring that guy back. I appreciate about 30% of his enthusiasm. The rest just makes him seem like a monkey on amphetamines with a boner for anime. Nothing about that combination is good.

Also, I counted about five spit takes from the new kid. And in spite of how awful both shows were I could still basically sit through pokemon but never digimon.

The cinematic camera angles, the fantastic plot, the well-rounded characters, the mythos, the believable struggles, the drama, the action and the sheer iconic nature puts this right at the top (or at least near the top) in my opinion.

However, it's an opinion, so whatever.

I don't think either of these are the best Anime series ever[1] But if I had to chose between the two, I'd definitely go for Digimon. It creams Pokemon in the Villain department and for the cat-fight. I'll admit that Pokemon had the better videogames though (easily)

[1] Ghost in the Shell

Honestly neither of them are the best anime series ever. That title goes to Cowboy Bebop.

A show named No Right Answer ends with the sentence "and that's the right answer!"? Does not compute.
Also i definitely disagree with it being either pokemon or digimon. There are much, much better animes out there that couldnt possibly be ranked in a list. I'd say the same of movies and music.

Sailor Moon was getting edit-slashed far earlier than any -mon show...

Umm, do people really still not get the point of the show? Judging from the people saying "I disagree" it seems like not...

These were good candidates for an eisode, very funny. When the title popped up, I was expecting two terrible candidates like Naruto vs. Bleach, One Piece vs. DBZ, Tsukihime vs. Golden Boy, or (I was hoping for this one) Gantz vs. Elfen Lied. Great episode, I really like the idea of bringing in guest debaters.

ritchards:
Sailor Moon was getting edit-slashed far earlier than any -mon show...

Cousins!

Everyone knows the best anime is Clannad Afterstory.

It was decided at the secret summit. Did you guys not go or something?

Clearly the "best anime ever" title was a joke, gais. Also, digimon was better written simply because the characters had arcs. They actually changed. There was no complex plot points or character arc development in pokemon. I just watched an episode of black and white for the hell of it a few months ago. It looks like a reboot. Fuck that.

As to actually best ever, hard to say, there are so many good ones. I find, in terms of "masterpieces", there are more in manga. There are seriously some Pulitzer worthy manga. Usually anime are either too chopped up or too drawn out for money reasons and have too many hands in the pot for their own good. I found monster to be a great adaptation though. Mushi-shi was good too. There's too many to pick just one.

They both suck.

You wanna know what's the best anime?

Robotech.

It was three different animes in one all cobbled up together, and it fucking worked.

I would go with Cowboy bebop...

What disturbs me is seeing two people argueing about Pokemon Vs. Digimon in the arena of cartoon shows who are over 13 years old.... that's really, really creepy, and makes me think that there has to be some kind of registration to track people like that. :)

Honestly, I'm not as big an anime fan as I once once, but if I *was* going to do a matchup for something like this, it probably wouldn't be over glorified cartoon shows. While neither are exactly my all time favorites a real "best of all time" matchup would have to be something like "Neon Genesis Evangelion" vs. "Cowboy Beebop" or something like that, due to how both were so influential on the medium in general, and towards creating and maintaining an international fanbase. Evangelion (the original) got so many people into Anime, whether they admit it or not, for a while people were breaking the fandom down as pre and post Eva.

I mean I'm just saying, and if you wanted to make this as the best cartoon that was a glorified toy commercial, personally I think Transformers would kick both Pokemon and Digimon out of the arena easily. It would probably have to be a 3 way between Transformers, GI Joe, and He-man... really by those standards while they aren't all officially anime, Pokemon and Digimon are amateur productions in pure capitalistic child mind control, no matter how successful their products were.

Digimon was always better than Pokemon.
I don't watch much anime, but I am gonna say Baccano is best, it has superior plot and characters.

martintox:
They both suck.

You wanna know what's the best anime?

Robotech.

It was three different animes in one all cobbled up together, and it fucking worked.

Except the actual Japanese Anime was called Macross.
Robotech was the American dub with better military music.

But yeah, it was great.

Kyle is the real winner because doesn't watch them.

The best anime ever? That's kinda subjective, isn't it?

Well, between these two (again), I'd have to say that Digimon has the better Anime. Why?

For starters, Pokemon rather rigidly follows the games, while Digimon has more freedom. Thus, while the anime has been stagnating for years now, at least Digimon has fresh story lines every season.

Also, Digimon tends to be a bit darker than Pokemon at times. (For example, season 3. Good God was the latter half of that anime disturbing!)

Not that I don't like either, mind you. Picking this topic is kinda obvious, but with so many animes to chose from, maybe simple is better...

Jesus christ guys you picked the bottom end anime... I r severely disappoint.

Emediantly laughed at the opening and had to comment. XD best subject yet!

OT: Now that i finished watching it i have come back to my post to say-

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Digimon wins :)

OT.OT: A good anime also knows when to END itself *looking at you pokemon....staring and glaring at you*

Should have called it "Best monster-based Anime" otherwise, you get TENS of thousands of possibilities
My answer: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann ;)

Daystar Clarion:
They're both terrible and I stopped watching them when I was old enough to recognise that they were terrible, the same with DBZ.

I love me some Major.

another excellent one as well, with some damn complex questions about authority, identity and philosophy (at least in the movies they did :D)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here