No Right Answer: Best Anime Series Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

"A lot of you have mentioned that anime subjects don't get a fair chance due to Dan's hatred for the genre."

Anime is NOT a genre, sci-fi is a genre Anime is a MEDIUM.

While it is debatable how there is no "Best anime" because it is rather subjective, I can safely say that neither of these are it. If I had to pick the better of the two, I'd say Pokemon because, well, I don't know actually. It just suits me better I guess? I do remember myself as a kid, whenever I got home Pokemon was just about to start. As a result my mom knows all the first 150151 Pokemon. So basically I like Pokemon more because of its time slot.

My pick for best anime would be Steins;Gate, with special mention to Bakemonogatari.

By best anime, They meant best mainstream children's anime.

And lest we forget, Ash has the personality of sandpaper...

It's bad enough having one annoying guy in there, but pitting him against an annoying anime fanboy was just too much.

Sailor Moon will punish you for not including her.

And no Space Ninja Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets)?

Wait.. Kyle wasn't debating, yet he still got the last word?

Although Dragonball is the best anime to have ever existed, I think Gus should have lost since he got a point for bringing the Jones soda.

I liked Pokemon when I was little, I found it ridiculous that in Digimon the monsters constantly shifted from one evolution to another. Call the 6 year old me retarded, but that was my thought process.

Pokemon VS Digimon Anime wise. Digimon wins this no contest. Much better story, character development and the show has a real ending (for season 1 and 2).

Pokemon, after what 4 regions and beating so many people, Ash is still 10 :/

Gotta love the Pokemon games though.

Should have been "Best Pop-Culture Anime".

Pokemon and Digimon(Which is actually not bad) don't represent the whole of anime any more than Call of Duty does the whole of video games.

martintox:
They both suck. You wanna know what's the best anime? Robotech. It was three different animes in one all cobbled up together, and it fucking worked.

Yeah...until you see said three anime in their original format and realize how butchered they were.

OT:
That's always going to be a hard question, I think.
It's going to depend if you're into action/story/art/ect.

I LOVE Crest/Banner of the Stars...more so the light novels.
But Clannad is the only anime (I can think of) that's made be physically CRY.

However Soul Eater is one of the extremely FEW 'over 26 EPs' series I've enjoyed/finished'.

Digimon is better, by so many factors. First of all, an actual plot through each season. Relatable characters with real-like problems in the real world that the bring over into the digital world. A lot more emotion and mature themes than Pokemon which is the same procedural joke over and over. Digimon can actually be watched by adults without groaning, especially Season 3 and 4.

Season 4, Frontiers was my favourite season, I know an unlikely choice but it had the best storytelling and was the most adult. Using flash-forwards and flashbacks, time travel, tormented family drama, Digimons getting fucked up evolutions and almost killing the kids, it was the most emotional and inspirational season for me. "Home Again, Takuya Returns" was my favourite episode.

I still have an action figure from the 4th season (2002), even after being a medical student!

TrippingBowser:
Honestly neither are the best anime they are both very overrated and used to sell their merchandise. It would be hard to pick by personal favorite series although one of my favorite would be Monster.

That's the point. the series is debate over pointless things, not intelligent discussion. No, don't expect to see Angel Egg here. The point is to debate over which is the best of two bad things, like which of the Green Lanturn's Weaknesses are the least stupid.

Why is the debate between Pokemon and Digimon? Everyone will have an opinion on which anime series is the best. One could say one of the longer running anime series is the best, such as One Piece or Bleach. Some people, such as I, may say a finished series is best, such as Death Note, or Fullmetal Alchemist.

This isn't something one can debate, since there are few anime that many people will agree are complete shit, and the same goes for animes that many believe deserve their place of admiration.

Example of shit anime? Eiken.
Example of great anime? Death Note.

At least one person will disagree with me on those standpoints, but that's okay. :)

Kumagawa Misogi:
"A lot of you have mentioned that anime subjects don't get a fair chance due to Dan's hatred for the genre."

No, animation is a medium, anime is a genre of animation

The best anime series would have to be a tie between Black Butler and Chobits. If you like action animes and haven't seen Black Butler, well, you're missing out. And Chobits is just sweet and adorable, as well as humorous.

I love how half the people posting cannot read the title of the show. This is, truly, a question with no right answer.

Well best anime ever is a stretch, but between poke and digi i say digi is the right answers but for better reasons. First at the end of every season Ash gets his ass handed to him. End of every digimon the team saves the world. they do tend to get their asses handed to them more than pokemon but in the end they just don't beat the bad guy, they fucking waste 'em. Also pokemon anime peaked around the 4th season then slowly died when it comes to fans while digimon peaked around season 3. Also Digimon can actually say they change things up by addin new characters with every season with a whole new story(except for the first 2 seasons where 2 was a direct sequel of 1) While pokemon we're still stuck with Ash ketchem who has to be at least the very least 16-17 in this but they just said he was 10. No way in hell did travel across 6-7 countries on foot in less than a year. And after a while you have to admit, you just get sick of seeing ash's face

Moeez:
Digimon is better, by so many factors. First of all, an actual plot through each season. Relatable characters with real-like problems in the real world that the bring over into the digital world. A lot more emotion and mature themes than Pokemon which is the same procedural joke over and over. Digimon can actually be watched by adults without groaning, especially Season 3 and 4.

Season 4, Frontiers was my favourite season, I know an unlikely choice but it had the best storytelling and was the most adult. Using flash-forwards and flashbacks, time travel, tormented family drama, Digimons getting fucked up evolutions and almost killing the kids, it was the most emotional and inspirational season for me. "Home Again, Takuya Returns" was my favourite episode.

I still have an action figure from the 4th season (2002), even after being a medical student!

glad i'm not the only one who has that as a favorite episode. I just wish we could have seen more of that digimon human hybrid form takuya was in

Full Metal Alchemist is my favourite anime, it's not the best but better than the two discussed.

TrippingBowser:
Honestly neither are the best anime they are both very overrated and used to sell their merchandise.

You do know how this series works, right?

Not going to lie- I think Pokemon is being slowly drained. They had a very, very successful run but with all these new Pokemon, along with trying to keep up the reputation- it feels like to me that they're milking Pokemon to the brink of never returning to the original set of Pokemon. You don't ever see basic ones anymore in the shows or games unless pickachu is involved.

Digimon sort of was like that, but they really tried to make it unique, compelling the characters with certain Digimon that were far advanced with corrupted minds that actually did awful things, for which Pokemon villains would not go into. I mean, the villains in Pokemon are silly to where they never did anything dramatic, while Digimon not only wanted to overpower the digital world but also rule the human world too actually harming people in the process.

However, both series to me aren't the best series of Anime ever. For me, there is one specific anime that beats them both.. and the funny thing is that it's not even a series. It's a movie, but a very wonderful touching amazing well animated movie that tops them easily (for me). It's called Blue Submarine no. 6 which is epic, but the trailer makes it seem legit ether way.

Digimon? Pokemon? Puh-LEEZ! We all know what the best anime ever made REALLY was...

In all seriousness, though: you'd need to limit a number of variables. Target age demographics, release dates, whether they were licensed or localized for given audiences, etc. Simply saying Kids cartoon A vs Kids Cartoon B is nothing noteworthy, no more than a youtube video response war.

Are all No Right Answer reviews like this? This is a great concept, but the nature of this debate reminds me less of a well thought-out discussion of the merits of each show, and more like two of my buddies ranting in the basement after a night of partying.

I would have to say the best anime series I've run across are a very close tie between Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Baccano!

Baccano probably being one of my favorites of all time since I have seen it.

It's hard to pick between just Pokemon and Digimon because they seem to be more geared towards little kids and pushing merchandise.

On anime terms there is only one right answer.
Tegen Toppa Gurran F***ing Lagann.
and yes, there is a rule that you have to drop an F-bomb into the title whenever you say it.

The characters in digimon grew as characters as far as I saw, Pokemons protagonists are stuck in some strange time loop where age has no meaning and plot devices are recycled like used tissues.

Unappealing and tiresome.

Digimon is the superior ANIME. (Not game mind you, pokemon games are awesome)

Hitman Dread:

Kumagawa Misogi:

No, animation is a medium, anime is a genre of animation

Anime is not a genre of animation, anime is animation from Japan. What your saying is the equivalent of saying that every live action american TV show is a genre.

Please, please, please bring Gus back in a later episode. He was a great addition ^^

omegawyrm:
Umm, do people really still not get the point of the show? Judging from the people saying "I disagree" it seems like not...

I was thinking the same thing.

Between these two, I think Digimon is the better series. It has better stories, better characters, and villains are actually legitimate threats to the heroes. Three things Pokemon lacks. Oh, and the cute animal sidekicks could do more than say their names and even had personalities.

Actually, that's a question. Are Pokemon named after the sounds they make or are they saying their names? /twilightzone

I'll be honest. Pokemon as a metaphor for heaven won the argument right there. That is some twisted thinking there dude, but somehow it all makes perfect sense

UncleAsriel:
Are all No Right Answer reviews like this? This is a great concept, but the nature of this debate reminds me less of a well thought-out discussion of the merits of each show, and more like two of my buddies ranting in the basement after a night of partying.

More or less. And you pretty much described it as it is meant to be viewed. They never argue over what is actually good. The episode over best Batman? George Clooney or Val Kilmer. Yeah.

It's largely meant as a joke, as I see it. They do generally have one (off camera) guy that judges the argument, but he wasn't used in this episode because he doesn't like anime and people have complained that his bias hurts his judgments.

I basically watch to see what insane off the wall arguments they will make. Pokemon as a metaphor for heaven? That's just scary. What's even scarier is that it kinda works, too.

Long story short: If you don't take it too seriously, you'll enjoy it.

The only anime series I ever liked was Cowboy Bebop and Record of Lodoss War.

Misleading title!

This is not a debate about anime, I would hardly consider Pokemon or Digimon anime, and if they are then they are horrible as anime.

Really, this should have been which is the better monster collector anime. There was a few of them, and Digimon and Pokemon were the best. But saying that Digimon and Pokemon are better then Miyazaki flicks? Ghost in the Shell? Cowboy Bebop? Thats crazy.

Also, I hate to say it, but Gus failed in this. Why? Simple. He failed to make the single most important argument he could have possibly made. Theme Song. Remember Digimons theme? If you watched it, of course you do. That theme was BADASS.

Cowboy Bebop or maybe Code Geass

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or