Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

This week, breaks down Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3.

Watch Video

Hmmp I figured he was going to mention spec ops (not sure if he liked or not).

From what I've heard, MW3 is not very good in regards to multi-player.
Some also say that Black Ops, as "terrible" as everyone said it to be, was better in terms of multi-player.

I dunno. I liked Black Ops multiplayer, but hated the singleplayer. Should I just stick with what I've got?

Hmm, comparing Battlefield 3 and MW3. Or in other words, how to incite massive fan-boy flamewars. Wind 'em up, and just let 'em go...

Woulda thought that the new additions to Spec Ops would be brought up though, that's practically a whole game just by itself.

Looking forward to the rage that may or may not occur in this thread :P
Oh who am I kidding. It's a ZP thread and has Call of Duty in the title, of course there will be fanboys and hate all over.

Im glad he didnt pick a winner, it stems the tide of "well my gameszszs is da best because yahtzee said it was.......olololol!!!"

I applaud your neutrality croshaw

Multiplayer? I'd have thought he'd at least say SOMETHING about it. Anyway, I've always thought it's best to buy BF games for multiplayer and CoD games for single player. From what I hear of BF3's single player campaign, at least part of that is true.

Still, awesome review, lol'd at the whole "invading the whole of Europe simultaneously" part. And the evil apple orchard.

Another head to head review? Did Christmas come early this year?although I would have thought the game with the neon space bazookas that fires venomous hedgehogs would win by default. But since that weapon isn't actually in the game...
And we know why You haven't reviewed Skyrim yet Yahtzee. It's because you can't put that particular crack pipe down long enough to actually write the review =D

Fun Fact: Anglo-Zanzibar War was indeed the shortest war in history

And do the servers here always tweak-out whenever ZP goes up? That gave me a real scare!

To be honest, BF3 is a breath of fresh air for me, it just seems like the MP in that game really encourages and rewards teamwork, which wasn't really the case for me in Black Ops MP.

It's a shame that he has to review MW3. Mainly because everyone knows that he will not like it, and all it really is doing is giving more ammo to CoD haters. Yahtzee shouldn't have to review every game out there, because IMO this review was pointless because he skimmed over half the features of both games and didn't seem to care about the singleplayer much.

"[...], only one question remains unanswered: Why haven't I reviewed Skyrim yet?"

Best laugh I've had in a few weeks. :D
Now that I've caved and bought Skyrim myself, it'll be even more interesting to see exactly how he'll rip it to shreds.

And here I was desperately hoping he'd skip this game to review Skyrim... I actually laughed when he addressed this concern of mine.

It's not like we don't already know that the single-player modes of MW3 and BF3 are both undeservedly popular putried incomprehensible drievlous shite, Yahtzee. Although I did appreciate the humor, I cracked up hardest when you addressed the fact that Russia seems to be able to invade everywhere at once while simulteanously having no convincing motivation for doing so, even if they DID have the manpower for it.

"....except for that one time...."

Bwahahahahaha..... and that one shot of you forlornly sitting astride a pony tickled me just right, for reasons I'm not quite sure of. And I loved hearing you point out how fucking psychotic it is for some people to actively desire as much realism as possible when it comes to, y'know, murdering people.

mjc0961:
Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that horrible Prototype VS inFamous review where two games that are completely different from each other were compared. When are you going to put Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo against each other, or maybe Super Mario 3D Land and Skyrim should go head to head?

Or maybe we can stop comparing games from completely different genres to each other, hmm?

A dark, gritty game where you run round with superpowers in a sandbox fucking shit up compared to a lighter, cartoonier game where you run round with superpowers in a a sandbox fucking shit up? you're right, there's a veritable chasm of differences between those two titles. I guess that's why most gaming media outlets said they were similar - they were only having a laugh because both those titles both obviously occupy totally-not-the-same-genre. Same goes for the realistic and gritty modern shooter versus the slightly absurd and gritty modern shooter. The fact that Yahtzee thinks they can be compared is fucking ludicrous.

Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that horrible Prototype VS inFamous review where two games that are completely different from each other were compared. When are you going to put Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo against each other, or maybe Super Mario 3D Land and Skyrim should go head to head?

Or maybe we can stop comparing games from completely different genres to each other, hmm?

wooty:
Im glad he didnt pick a winner, it stems the tide of "well my gameszszs is da best because yahtzee said it was.......olololol!!!"

Still, it was pretty clear that he didn't really care or like both games. The people who troll CoD and BF won't see that he took a neutral response and take a quote from the review, then use it as ammo.

If you're judging future politics by today's gaming 'communities' coming to power... then the President of Heroes of Newerth Origin will declare nuclear war on Russia and Brazil.

Or World War 3 will start because someone got ganked in Tarrenmill.

I do agree with no winners. Hard to call something a game when its single player lasts as long as a Mayfly and the multiplayer carries it. Why not remove the single player completely? The only gamers who buy those games for the single player are the wounded minority whose interests have been forgot by games companies and need to be taken out of their misery before they waste any more money in optimism.

I'm getting invaded on Tuesday!? Damn, I better go buy some stuff to ride out the occupation!

Was looking forward to this vid and I was guessing that Yahtzee might do a comparison between them and I'm glad that he did.

I haven't laughed so hard in a while so thank you for that.Definitely made my day.

InterAirplay:
And here I was desperately hoping he'd skip this game to review Skyrim... I actually laughed when he addressed this concern of mine.

It's not like we don't already know that the single-player modes of MW3 and BF3 are both undeservedly popular putried incomprehensible drievlous shite, Yahtzee. Although I did appreciate the humor, I cracked up hardest when you addressed the fact that Russia seems to be able to invade everywhere at once while simulteanously having no convincing motivation for doing so, even if they DID have the manpower for it.

"....except for that one time...."

Bwahahahahaha..... and that one shot of you forlornly sitting astride a pony tickled me just right, for reasons I'm not quite sure of. And I loved hearing you point out how fucking psychotic it is for some people to actively desire as much realism as possible when it comes to, y'know, murdering people.

mjc0961:

A dark, gritty game where you run round with superpowers in a sandbox fucking shit up compared to a lighter, cartoonier game where you run round with superpowers in a a sandbox fucking shit up? you're right, there's a veritable chasm of differences between those two titles. I guess that's why most gaming media outlets said they were similar - they were only having a laugh because both those titles both obviously occupy totally-not-the-same-genre. Same goes for the realistic and gritty modern shooter versus the slightly absurd and gritty modern shooter. The fact that Yahtzee thinks they can be compared is fucking ludicrous.

To be fair, the last comparison had a clear winner when both companies accepted Yahtzee's challenge for some reason, so even they admitted the games were similar, and were just good sports.

ToastiestZombie:

wooty:

Still, it was pretty clear that he didn't really care or like both games. The people who troll CoD and BF won't see that he took a neutral response and take a quote from the review, then use it as ammo.

I did say stem, I mean as good as he is hes not a miracle worker. Itll take a nuclear holocaust to end this cod vs battlefield debate, and even then itll probably be that subject which started it if yaht's prediction comes true.

I have this vague suspicion that someone may have mentioned Skyrim to Yahtzee a time or two since it came out.
Loved the video, who won? nobody

That one was a bit on the insubstantial side.

Well, no surprises there. I wonder if he'll review the PC version of Skyrim: The child murderer edition.

Aw, but I was looking forward to seeing what the art guys could come up with for the other team's main character in a bra...wait, no, that came out wrong.

Nice that Yahtzee mentioned several of the more obvious plot holes in MW3 which fanboys so desperately try to deny (from experience).

Thank god that's the shooters out of the way. Now perhaps Yahtzee can review something where an intelligent opinion might make a blind bit of difference.

Good video. Now review something good!

I found that hard to follow. Which game did what now?

Step 1 remember do not watch ZP in a public place... done. Oh wait why is everyone looking at me funny... step 2 forget that...

This was just great comparison laughed way to loud to often, and people think I'm weird duuuh...
I think he points out the really weak points here like invading Europe whole at once... ok that is going to be difficult, not that I expect a shooter to have realistic story....

And his right nobody wins...
Yay, for tuesday invasion...
O well, thank you yathzee for a longer life (laugh does prolong life according to science..)

Of the reviews that seem to be MIA I was more wondering about the status of the Saints Row 3 one over the Skyrim one.

Extragorey:
Multiplayer? I'd have thought he'd at least say SOMETHING about it.

I don't remember what review exactly, but I remember that Yahtzee is of the mindset that believes that a game must be able to stand on single player alone. Multiplayer is a side item, so he tends not to review such things in detail if at all.

I agree with that sentiment, because these days it seems that if a game doesn't have multiplayer, people think there is no reason to play it.

Really, multiplayer is just a way to squeeze out some extra dollars from the people that have the compulsion that they only buy games that they can play with other people and turn into a competition.

Because of that games that make no sense having multiplayer, now have it or will have it. I'm looking at you BioWare(understanding it is EA's dirty hand) with Mass Effect 3.

Same goes for Assassin's Creed when it got multiplayer in "Brotherhood". Doesn't matter if it was good or not, it is out of place.

The industry somewhere along the line has contracted a disease that makes devs and pubs think they must please every section of the market so that everybody can get in and play their game, instead of properly making specific types of games for specific people.

I play and enjoy most types and genres of games: RTS, RPG, MMO, Puzzle, Racing, Shooters, Sandbox, Linear, Single, and Multiplayer, but I understand that some things should just be kept separate and other things should take precedence over others.

Eventually it seems that every game will become some big monstrosity that is every genre and type rolled into one, because everybody must be able to play some part of the game and enjoy it, so that the creators get get money from everybody.

You know what's the funniest bit about this review? The ad border for a MW3 headset around the pop-out video of it. And the fact that humanity loses the competition on a whole.

XDravond:
Step 1 remember do not watch ZP in a public place... done. Oh wait why is everyone looking at me funny... step 2 forget that...

This was just great comparison laughed way to loud to often, and people think I'm weird duuuh...
I think he points out the really weak points here like invading Europe whole at once... ok that is going to be difficult, not that I expect a shooter to have realistic story....

And his right nobody wins...
Yay, for tuesday invasion...
O well, thank you yathzee for a longer life (laugh does prolong life according to science..)

Science is daft in that regard. I've nearly lost consciousness more times than I could remember laughing too hard at something. Would be a great way to go though.

Sven_Untgaarde:
From what I've heard, MW3 is not very good in regards to multi-player.
Some also say that Black Ops, as "terrible" as everyone said it to be, was better in terms of multi-player.

I dunno. I liked Black Ops multiplayer, but hated the singleplayer. Should I just stick with what I've got?

YES! Stick with BO. Modern Warfare 3's MP is horrible. Maps are small even for COD standarts and akimbo weapons instantly kill people,have no recoil and have sniper like accuracy.Akimbo weapons are actully making MW3 unplayable, as soon as someone decides to have two SMG's you can just quit the game. Theres no point of playing anymore since that bastard can instantly kill you from any distance without even needing to aim. Stick to Black ops,COD 2 or 4. Best CODs imho.

" and the winner is no one"
>.> kinda saw that coming actually, but i woulda fallowed it with the losers being the consuls and gamers in general are the losers for them existing at all.

but that's just me and my own seething distain for games like these.

>.> also, 'a child dies' is the big 'shocking moment' really? >.> <.< um .... how many children have died since that Skyrim mod came out? one can hardly call it shocking when gamers them selves are actively hunting and slaying them in far more brutal ways. like werewolf mauling ...

Oh, that ending was awesome. Brilliantly played, Yatzee.

*clap clap clap*

All right another comparison review. While we are on the seat of having recurring elements I totally suggest another mailbag showdown for the slow season and maybe giving another generic by the numbers game a limerick roll.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here