Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Meh... skip Skyrim, it's been hyped to death anyway; do Serious Sam 3: BFE instead, it's more fun than both BF3 and MW3 combined...

ShAdDiX69:

Sven_Untgaarde:
From what I've heard, MW3 is not very good in regards to multi-player.
Some also say that Black Ops, as "terrible" as everyone said it to be, was better in terms of multi-player.

I dunno. I liked Black Ops multiplayer, but hated the singleplayer. Should I just stick with what I've got?

YES! Stick with BO. Modern Warfare 3's MP is horrible. Maps are small even for COD standarts and akimbo weapons instantly kill people,have no recoil and have sniper like accuracy.Akimbo weapons are actully making MW3 unplayable, as soon as someone decides to have two SMG's you can just quit the game. Theres no point of playing anymore since that bastard can instantly kill you from any distance without even needing to aim. Stick to Black ops,COD 2 or 4. Best CODs imho.

Now I think that is a little harsh... I mean its a reskin of MW2. Its not bad. Its Call of Duty. As much as folks hate to say it or admit it... CoD is the staple of the first person shooter till something comes along and knocks it off of its high horse.

I know Yatzee hates FPS's but another CoD game. More of what you have played in the past. The Multiplayer isn't that bad. Yes the akimbo stuff needs to be nerfed but all in all its definitely fun

Sven_Untgaarde:
Some also say that Black Ops, as "terrible" as everyone said it to be, was better in terms of multi-player.

I dunno. I liked Black Ops multiplayer, but hated the singleplayer. Should I just stick with what I've got?

Depends if they patch MW3. Right now, there are obviously overpowered guns (Type 95 usually kills in one birst) and the spawning is quite simply the worst I have ever seen. People spawn behind you so often and there is almost always an enemy right around the corner from where you respawn.
Actually just don't get it. I hate the maps and that really is the deal for me. Glad my roommate bought it and not me.

mjc0961:
Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that horrible Prototype VS inFamous review where two games that are completely different from each other were compared. When are you going to put Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo against each other, or maybe Super Mario 3D Land and Skyrim should go head to head?

Or maybe we can stop comparing games from completely different genres to each other, hmm?

What those games are incredibly similar and are definately the same genre

Great video! Now can we please get back to the non-annoying-twelve-year-old-dipshits games? Looking forward to that Skyrim review next week!

wooty:
Im glad he didnt pick a winner, it stems the tide of "well my gameszszs is da best because yahtzee said it was.......olololol!!!"

I applaud your neutrality croshaw

I don't think he was neutral. He essentially pissed on both games. In which case, I am the winner because I can say "well your gamez iz da suk bcuz yotzeh sed it wuz...lololol!!!"

Extragorey:
Multiplayer? I'd have thought he'd at least say SOMETHING about it.

Hi, you must be new here. :p

Macrobstar:

mjc0961:
Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that horrible Prototype VS inFamous review where two games that are completely different from each other were compared. When are you going to put Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo against each other, or maybe Super Mario 3D Land and Skyrim should go head to head?

Or maybe we can stop comparing games from completely different genres to each other, hmm?

What those games are incredibly similar and are definately the same genre

Please don't feed the troll, they are only here for our private viewing pleasure and entertainment. Thank god I decided to hop off the CoD wagon, I don't think I cold stand buying the same game for a fourth time...

mjc0961:

yes because as we all know MW3 is an RTS and BF3 is an JRPG /sarcasm

OT: i do wish he would review the multiplayer. (he did it for the WOW and EVE videos)

Leak:
Meh... skip Skyrim, it's been hyped to death anyway; do Serious Sam 3: BFE instead, it's more fun than both BF3 and MW3 combined...

The comments section should be epic, though. There are a ton of ZP fans who think it's all fun and games until he mocks a game they like, at which point the comments tend to explode with "I can't believe he did to this game what he does to every game imaginable!"

With Skyrim, I bet it'll be like 200 times as big as normal. The explosion, not the thread.

I'm glad Yahtzee made the point that "realism" is not something you should expect in a Modern Warfare game. From personal experience, being in the military is nothing like videogames and is hardly "fun".

Sonic Doctor:

Extragorey:
Multiplayer? I'd have thought he'd at least say SOMETHING about it.

I don't remember what review exactly, but I remember that Yahtzee is of the mindset that believes that a game must be able to stand on single player alone. Multiplayer is a side item, so he tends not to review such things in detail if at all.

I agree with that sentiment, because these days it seems that if a game doesn't have multiplayer, people think there is no reason to play it.

Really, multiplayer is just a way to squeeze out some extra dollars from the people that have the compulsion that they only buy games that they can play with other people and turn into a competition.

Because of that games that make no sense having multiplayer, now have it or will have it. I'm looking at you BioWare(understanding it is EA's dirty hand) with Mass Effect 3.

Same goes for Assassin's Creed when it got multiplayer in "Brotherhood". Doesn't matter if it was good or not, it is out of place.

The industry somewhere along the line has contracted a disease that makes devs and pubs think they must please every section of the market so that everybody can get in and play their game, instead of properly making specific types of games for specific people.

I play and enjoy most types and genres of games: RTS, RPG, MMO, Puzzle, Racing, Shooters, Sandbox, Linear, Single, and Multiplayer, but I understand that some things should just be kept separate and other things should take precedence over others.

Eventually it seems that every game will become some big monstrosity that is every genre and type rolled into one, because everybody must be able to play some part of the game and enjoy it, so that the creators get get money from everybody.

Yeah, that doesn't really apply to "Battlefield 3", though, because that series started off as a multiplayer game. While I do agree with pretty much all of Yahtzee's criticisms of the game's campaign, I still love that game very much, as its multiplayer blows away any criticism that I may have of the campaign. (The multiplayer is also completely different from CoD's; just putting that out there.)

Although, both games do have 2-player co-op. You'd think Yahtzee would at least have been able to say SOMETHING about that? :/

*yawn*... well this was interesting to watch... NOT

At least most of the people buying Battlefield know that the SinglePlayer sucks, didn't even want a SinglePlayer in the first place (like in the first 4 games in the series that were also extremely successful despite not having a Singleplayer campaign *gasp* and came up with a "modern setting" before Call of Duty)

While most Modern Warfare players think it is the best game ever made all-around, largely also because of the hype or because (seeing the numbers) they might not have played anything else at all...

How a game that has improved upon almost everything that made it out, from destruction, animations, a superior / almost real-looking lighting engine, sound recording by using real guns and making it more life-like, being the first developers to use the DX11 API to its full potential and pushing technology forward to the point that NVIDIA literally has to thank them for it on their knees and creative level-design etc. (including actually rewarding team-play, pushing the player numbers back up again and having really large maps) while Modern Warfare is basically a DLC to a 5 year old game sold at full price over and over again, he really has to explain for me to get though.

I can't help but notice that during that entire review I was unable to differentiate which game he was talking about at any given time. I think that speaks volumes for how terrible and identical both franchises are. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to say that since one of them apparently made more money than god, buddha, and george lucas combined. Because as we all know, sales = quality. /sarcasm

God damn it I can't wait for that whole genre of shooters to just freaking die, or at least be relegated to the same level of importance that is afforded to horror movies.

I like his game idea. For a start, it can end on a high note and with a proper resolution, rather than a milked-for-all-it's-damn-well-worth approach from EA.

Apart from that, I think it would be interesting to make a game that has 50 missions, all constituting an entire story arc and all taking place in the space of 38 minutes. It would be an interesting way to pace gameplay and it would be a neat way of fleshing out the world: Rather than looking through a single guy's eyes the entire game, or maybe jumping between 2 or 3, see the same events and the same conflict from 50 different perspectives.

It would also force some sort of interesting characterisation styles, considering they have 38 minutes to make you care about the people around you.

Also: Obligatory cricket minigame after completing all 50 Campaign missions.

Warachia:

InterAirplay:
And here I was desperately hoping he'd skip this game to review Skyrim... I actually laughed when he addressed this concern of mine.

It's not like we don't already know that the single-player modes of MW3 and BF3 are both undeservedly popular putried incomprehensible drievlous shite, Yahtzee. Although I did appreciate the humor, I cracked up hardest when you addressed the fact that Russia seems to be able to invade everywhere at once while simulteanously having no convincing motivation for doing so, even if they DID have the manpower for it.

"....except for that one time...."

Bwahahahahaha..... and that one shot of you forlornly sitting astride a pony tickled me just right, for reasons I'm not quite sure of. And I loved hearing you point out how fucking psychotic it is for some people to actively desire as much realism as possible when it comes to, y'know, murdering people.

mjc0961:

A dark, gritty game where you run round with superpowers in a sandbox fucking shit up compared to a lighter, cartoonier game where you run round with superpowers in a a sandbox fucking shit up? you're right, there's a veritable chasm of differences between those two titles. I guess that's why most gaming media outlets said they were similar - they were only having a laugh because both those titles both obviously occupy totally-not-the-same-genre. Same goes for the realistic and gritty modern shooter versus the slightly absurd and gritty modern shooter. The fact that Yahtzee thinks they can be compared is fucking ludicrous.

To be fair, the last comparison had a clear winner when both companies accepted Yahtzee's challenge for some reason, so even they admitted the games were similar, and were just good sports.

Preaching to the choir. Why not address that rather excellent point ot the guy who thinks that the games are in different genres?

Leak:

But it isn't going to recieve 50 perfect reviews and an average metacritic score of 9.5. Skyrim already has.

I think both serve a good purpose depending on which franchise you're a fan of more, but what I did wish for ... is that in a war game your enemy isn't the Russians. Has been like that for almost 3-4 games in a row, apart from World War 1 and recent MW2. But, who am I to complain if the games are great ether way?

Can't wait for Yahtzee to review Skyrim. I still remember when he reviewed Oblivion. He was okay with it, or that he even admired it in some ways... but a lot of flaws. With this one, I am very curious if he'll state the same flaws especially since Skyrim is new in every way.

I'm glad I'm not a fanboy of either.

Now going back to play TF2!

Sonicron:
"[...], only one question remains unanswered: Why haven't I reviewed Skyrim yet?"

Best laugh I've had in a few weeks. :D
Now that I've caved and bought Skyrim myself, it'll be even more interesting to see exactly how he'll rip it to shreds.

I can't wait for the Shouting jokes...and the fact that a Dragon battle is basically a deadly verbal debate...

Fingers crossed for next week xD

OT: Meh, i have MW3 and used like...4 times, and not even for that long, probably gonna trade it in at some point to get...something >.>

However i do wanna try BF3 simply because the Multiplayer is apparently gods gift...

Yahtzee, you old fox.
The mindless-killing generation have grown up, they're in charge as we speak. Think how pointless the last few invasions have been?

Don't worry Mr. Croshaw, Serious Sam 3 and Saint's Row: The Third are holding out their colorful arms awaiting your approach.

I wonder if he'll get us much pointless stupid retarded fucking hate by twats who can't understand the concept of a different opinion and thus shouldn't ne able understand the concept of breathing as his Space Marine article.

otakon17:

Science is daft in that regard. I've nearly lost consciousness more times than I could remember laughing too hard at something. Would be a great way to go though.

You mean "Death by laughing at a ZP".... That would be a new one (I think).
(Not to be confused with death by laughing at Yathzee)...

Sven_Untgaarde:

Is your Black Ops kd ratio positive? As in, do you have just one more kill than you have death? If so, you will hate MW3. Stick to Black Ops.

OT: Finally, someone tells all these stupid kiddies that they are both shit. And boy oh boy, they are so bad. Both are a disgrace when you consider how good previous games in the series were.

I guess Battlefield and EA win it for me personally because they managed to spend a horrendous amount of money on aggressive marketing and still had their competitor sell 4 times the copies they did.

I got directed to a series of videos on YouTube that consist of all of the cutscenes in MW3. In these videos the user was running with the defintion of cutscenes as any on-rail segment where the outcome is essentially guaranteed, which pretty much covers the entire single player campaign. It's surprisingly fun to watch.

Oh, and I too called bullshit when Russia invaded all of Europe at once. Especially when the French felt the need to call in the Americans for the simple job of arresting a guy. I mean, really? Couldn't the French rustle up their own elite squad for this one?

Dexter111:
*yawn*... well this was interesting to watch... NOT

The 90s called, they want their form of sarcasm back. They even lent me this "The X called, they want their Y back" joke to get it back for them.

ToastiestZombie:

wooty:
Im glad he didnt pick a winner, it stems the tide of "well my gameszszs is da best because yahtzee said it was.......olololol!!!"

I applaud your neutrality croshaw

Still, it was pretty clear that he didn't really care or like both games. The people who troll CoD and BF won't see that he took a neutral response and take a quote from the review, then use it as ammo.

I think you two are confused. Yahtzee did not have a neutral response. Neutral would be "I have no opinion."

Yahtzee clearly expressed an opinion. It's just not one that favors one game over the other.

"Captain Price exiled in pursuit of some bastard that's apparently responsible..."

Quick, Ginger!

Now that would make MW3 much better; if you had to play "The Devil's Horseride" while running backwards.

Sonic Doctor:
I don't remember what review exactly, but I remember that Yahtzee is of the mindset that believes that a game must be able to stand on single player alone. Multiplayer is a side item, so he tends not to review such things in detail if at all.

I agree with that sentiment, because these days it seems that if a game doesn't have multiplayer, people think there is no reason to play it.

Really, multiplayer is just a way to squeeze out some extra dollars from the people that have the compulsion that they only buy games that they can play with other people and turn into a competition.

I disagree. Would an MMORPG have to stand on the strengths of it's single player experience alone? It just -makes sense- for certain genres to have multiplayer or even a multiplayer focus.

I understand your point about shoehorning in multiplayer where it doesn't belong, but let's face it: No one is playing MW3 or BF3 for it's campaign. I don't even know why they have campaigns -- it seems to me, the money would be better spent making a more solid multiplayer experience rather than a half-assed campaign mode.

PS: Time to start guessing at what race Yahtzee picked for Skyrim.

scw55:
If you're judging future politics by today's gaming 'communities' coming to power... then the President of Heroes of Newerth Origin will declare nuclear war on Russia and Brazil.

Or World War 3 will start because someone got ganked in Tarrenmill.

I do agree with no winners. Hard to call something a game when its single player lasts as long as a Mayfly and the multiplayer carries it. Why not remove the single player completely? The only gamers who buy those games for the single player are the wounded minority whose interests have been forgot by games companies and need to be taken out of their misery before they waste any more money in optimism.

Or maybe the minority that, like me, actually enjoy the single players of Modern Warfare 1, 2, World at War, and Black Ops.

The nerve of us people, huh? Enjoying something that was obviously tacked on and obviously no work was put into that huge plane crash or all those fun set pieces?

I'm not planning on getting MW3 anytime soon but I will eventually, early next year probably - for single player. This might blow your massive mind, but I enjoyed the sheer stupid shooting of everything in MW2 and Black Ops in between bouts of Fallout 3 and Dragon Age Origins.

If Activision thought that it wasn't going to make them any money, then they wouldn't include the single player in the first place.

Yea what a shame about MW's plot. Infinity Ward/Activision really had it butchered and ruined. Still it's not really a relevant video when you compare two multiplayer games without weighing in on the multiplayer.

Zeekar:

PS: Time to start guessing at what race Yahtzee picked for Skyrim.

Well, he picked Nord in Oblivion. Though he was an elf in Dragon Age. Whatever he is, I will bet you that he's not going to be an Argonian or Khajit.

Well that was uninspired and, quite frankly, a bit dull. Just one big flame video against modern warfare shooters, as we haven't heard enough about that already. Yes, even the racism joke is getting stale now.

Frankly I wonder why he even bothers to review these games, for any other reason than throwing flamebait around.

I am more interested in his Saints Row 3 review. I mean he already liked SR2 and SR3 practically seems to be made for him.

Cowabungaa:
Well that was uninspired and, quite frankly, a bit dull. Just one big flame video against modern warfare shooters, as we haven't heard enough about that already. Yes, even the racism joke is getting stale now.

Frankly I wonder why he even bothers to review these games, for any other reason than throwing flamebait around.

Because for some strange reason many people buy this games and made them "big releases". So he is kinda obligated to review them.

Cowabungaa:

Hey look, it's working, isn't it?

I never had any intention of buying either. But, as I expected, that was thoroughly entertaining. Good old hate-bonding. "You hate Call of Duty? ME TOO!!!"

This is easily the most information-dense ZP review he's done so far, and thus should be eligible for some kind of award. I had to replay the review four or five times to fully get what he was talking about. Some of the subordinate clauses meander so far into the wilderness that I forgot whether he was talking about MW3 or BF3 at any given moment.

As for those who assert that MW3 and BF3 are completely different genres and thus any comparison is terribly unfair: I haven't played either of them and thus, from my perspective, both games are realistic-ish military-themed first-person shooters. Perhaps you'd care to summarize where lies the distinction.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here