Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

RC1138:
Hmmp I figured he was going to mention spec ops (not sure if he liked or not).

Yeah, I am kind of sad that he didn't mention anything about it. Spec Ops is a big reason why I bought MW3, and I really enjoyed playing it with my friend. Maybe because Yahtzee sees Spec Ops as another multiplayer thingy that he can't be bothered to play?

I can just imagine Yahtzee about to play MW3, groaning and saying "Just one more week and I can play a good game..."

The_root_of_all_evil:

"Captain Price exiled in pursuit of some bastard that's apparently responsible..."

Quick, Ginger!

Now that would make MW3 much better; if you had to play "The Devil's Horseride" while running backwards.

Good grief, you're right! Open this in one window, turn the sound off, then start playing this other video while Yuri runs.

It is brilliant.

trollpwner:

Cowabungaa:
Well that was uninspired and, quite frankly, a bit dull. Just one big flame video against modern warfare shooters, as we haven't heard enough about that already. Yes, even the racism joke is getting stale now.

Frankly I wonder why he even bothers to review these games, for any other reason than throwing flamebait around.

Hey look, it's working, isn't it?

You didn't see me actively defending the games did you? Counter-flaming ain't worth the effort really. It's pointless, especially in this case.

Too many shooters, a billion people talking about Skyrim, and so many Zelda fans getting their wish with Skyward Sword.

Me, I'm just looking forward to the new TinTin film.

gillnavisingh:
Too many shooters, a billion people talking about Skyrim, and so many Zelda fans getting their wish with Skyward Sword.

Me, I'm just looking forward to the new TinTin film.

EDIT: Damn computer.

So....I just travelled back in time to before it was released?

WAAAA!!! NO SERIOUS SAM 3 WAAAAAA!!!

Getting really fed up with Yahtzee repeatidly neglecting multiplayer when it seems games such as COD and Battlefield are based around multiplayer.

Even if Yahtzee does not like it, A VERY large portion of the gamer base do and therefore I feel he should mention it.

mjc0961:
Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that horrible Prototype VS inFamous review where two games that are completely different from each other were compared. When are you going to put Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo against each other, or maybe Super Mario 3D Land and Skyrim should go head to head?

Or maybe we can stop comparing games from completely different genres to each other, hmm?

Infamous is a sandbox super hero game...
Prototype is a sandbox super hero game...

MW3 is an extremely popular modern FPS
BF3 is an extremely popular modern FPS

Lot of differences there...

JasonBurnout16:
Getting really fed up with Yahtzee repeatidly neglecting multiplayer when it seems games such as COD and Battlefield are based around multiplayer.

Even if Yahtzee does not like it, A VERY large portion of the gamer base do and therefore I feel he should mention it.

"A $60 game should be able to stand up on its single player alone"
Ben Croshaw

If they want to make a game based around multiplayer, then take Valve's example and make it $30.

thethingthatlurks:
Great video! Now can we please get back to the non-annoying-twelve-year-old-dipshits games? Looking forward to that Skyrim review next week!

You speak as though 12 year old dipshits have not been filling sites like these with 200 skyrim threads over the last week.

Dipshits are dipshits, only difference is you don't have to listen to them in Skyrim.

Since I can't stand these kinds of shooters, I'm going to give the award Resistance 3, because even if it did look boring and brown, it surprised me with enough variety to at least keep me playing 'til the end. And for the opportunity to annoy my buddy with all the "ice" puns I could recall from Batman and Robin.

Say Yahtzee, speaking of humiliating tie breakers, what could more humiliating than the fact that these games are what pass for entertainment these days?

NameIsRobertPaulson:

thethingthatlurks:
Great video! Now can we please get back to the non-annoying-twelve-year-old-dipshits games? Looking forward to that Skyrim review next week!

You speak as though 12 year old dipshits have not been filling sites like these with 200 skyrim threads over the last week.

Dipshits are dipshits, only difference is you don't have to listen to them in Skyrim.

Somethingsomething Skyrim fanboy...somethingsomething better than Mw3...somethingsomething dipshits being people I dislike...

Yeah, dipshit fanboys are still annoying (even if they're right...)

JasonBurnout16:

I'm not trying to flame here, but what do you need to know? It's the same mechanics from the single-player, only the NPC's are now controlled by other people[1]. Multiplayer hasn't really changed since the N64, and ever since Halo 2 made online popular it has changed even less; occasionally we'll get a different mode, like Horde mode, but even that just get's copy and pasted to 15 other games.

[1] the majority of whom are annoying frat boys

NameIsRobertPaulson:

JasonBurnout16:

Ben Croshaw

If they want to make a game based around multiplayer, then take Valve's example and make it $30.

Valve pricing their games 30 dollars has nothing to do with it being multiplayer or not e.g. the portal and half life games. it has to do with them being in the uniquely position of owning Steam and being their own publisher.

as for his argument, you and yahtzee can whine n not like all you want about multiplayer, games like LoL, WoW, the brown shooters give more entertainment n joy to more people than any singleplayer game ever did. Wether you think multiplayer is a fun experience is entirely subjective. Maybe, just maybe, its just your opinion? You dont like multiplayer, most people do. deal with it. I like a lot of games people despise. i dont mind. And dont act like multiplayer will kill singleplayer or some stupid bullshit like that. Last time i checked, Skyrim is one of the top selling games of all time now. a completely single player game mind you

Okay first, I want people to stop denying that something's a game just because it's lacking in some way. That's annoying. I don't care if the single player is basically vestigial, it's still technically a game. A crummy game the designers of which put no effort into when it came to the single player, but a game nonetheless.

Second, I want to see someone make a flash game about the Anglo-Zanzibar War. You'd have 38 minutes to get through to the center and bring down the flag. I know it'd be more entertaining and original than endless modern war games with pretensions to realism.

Maybe I don't want realism, game designers. Maybe I want to be able to be as extreme and unrealistic as possible, soaking up thousands of points of damage and frantically grabbing health packs as I go.

Well, I live in Russia and this is my favorite ZP video.

Wow. I heard the plot of MW3 wasn't all that great, but... seriously? ALL of Europe?

No, Yahtzee. I don't think Infinity Ward was trying to make the Russians look evil. I think they were aiming for an image that all Russians are STUPID.

Well, Yahtzee hasn't ever been one to just say "fuck it" to reason and have fun, so i was expecting it. It was a funny review, even though i liked MW3.

You could come off your high chair now and again and enter the "big man" world of multiplayer, Yahtzee. You know, like a -REVIEWER- would. Charging 60 euros for a game that is themed around multiplayer might be a scam, but ignoring multiplayer completely as a reviewer just because "you don't like it" isn't too far off.

danvla:
Well, I live in Russia and this is my favorite ZP video.

Niiiiiice. Seriously, why can't they move onto China or something? *gets beaten up by shaolin monks*

draythefingerless:

Wether you think multiplayer is a fun experience is entirely subjective. Maybe, just maybe, its just your opinion? You dont like multiplayer, most people do. deal with it. I like a lot of games people despise. i dont mind. And dont act like multiplayer will kill singleplayer or some stupid bullshit like that. Last time i checked, Skyrim is one of the top selling games of all time now. a completely single player game mind you

Wow. Nice to notice that you still show a good level of objectivity despite your appalling spelling and confusing logic. I mean it's always good when someone notices that their opinion does not change the- Wait a moment!

as for his argument, you and yahtzee can whine n not like all you want about multiplayer, games like LoL, WoW, the brown shooters give more entertainment n joy to more people than any singleplayer game ever did.

Lol, GTFO. You just invalidated your right to argue. Go back to 4CHAN

draythefingerless:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

JasonBurnout16:

Ben Croshaw

Valve pricing their games 30 dollars has nothing to do with it being multiplayer or not e.g. the portal and half life games. it has to do with them being in the uniquely position of owning Steam and being their own publisher.

as for his argument, you and yahtzee can whine n not like all you want about multiplayer, games like LoL, WoW, the brown shooters give more entertainment n joy to more people than any singleplayer game ever did. Wether you think multiplayer is a fun experience is entirely subjective. Maybe, just maybe, its just your opinion? You dont like multiplayer, most people do. deal with it. I like a lot of games people despise. i dont mind. And dont act like multiplayer will kill singleplayer or some stupid bullshit like that. Last time i checked, Skyrim is one of the top selling games of all time now. a completely single player game mind you

The second reason is that everyone's multiplayer experience is different.

Imagine two new players playing LoL. They get paired against each other. Should be a fun experience as they learn their champ and how to play, right?

Now imagine one gets paired with 4 members of Counter Logic Gaming, and the other 4 players from 300 ELO. One will have a wonderful experience with learning how the game is played at the top level, with communication and teammwork. One will have a nightmarish experience where he is attacked and belittled for being new, and playing with players who got to that low level because they leave games when angry, or blame everyone else for their mistakes.

How can you quantify which experience is the "right" one?

I bought MW3 the day it came out and ever since then, I've been waiting for this review. I was generally pleased. I don't really expect Yahtzee to enjoy the multiplayer, even though spec-ops and new survival is awesome. And I do kinda believe that this video was meant to throw wood on the fire that is FPS fan-boys. That being said, after playing both games, MW3 was better.

I would like that his next review is about Skyward Sword.

Not trying to defend MW3 (both games sucked), but I thought the beginning of the England level was the half-assed explanation as to how Russia invaded all of Europe, where Makarov's men were already in every country, waiting to strike. It was either that or it was a weak excuse to have a chase in the London Underground.

ThunderCavalier:
Wow. I heard the plot of MW3 wasn't all that great, but... seriously? ALL of Europe?

Yep, they pretty much attack Paris, Hanover and Berlin at the same time, days after being beaten back from the US.
I honestly have no idea how the frontline would look. I mean, how did the invasion fleet get past Norway and Great Britain? And how could they be fighting in Berlin and Paris at the same time? What happened to Poland and Ukraine? Don't even think about supply lines and stuff like that.

And there are a lot more plot holes like that. Why can Russian Cruise Missiles be reprogrammed within seconds to fire at their own ships? How could those medium range missiles even hit targets a few yards next to them?

And Marakov is the biggest plot hole of all times

And then there are the smaller plot holes like how are people getting an attack helicopter from somewhere in the middle of Africa to Somalia within days? Too fast for a freighter and there are a many stable countries between those two who don't like foreign attack helicopters inside their borders. How do you even refuel this thing?

Yathzee already asked why the Russian President who wants nothing more than peace would actually order a Invasion of the USA and EU?

Oh and Yuri the new character

Loved this review, I still need to play Battlefield 3 to get my personal winner. Yahtzee's review was basically summed up as this:

and for that, I applaud to you.

Sven_Untgaarde:
From what I've heard, MW3 is not very good in regards to multi-player.
Some also say that Black Ops, as "terrible" as everyone said it to be, was better in terms of multi-player.

I dunno. I liked Black Ops multiplayer, but hated the singleplayer. Should I just stick with what I've got?

It was terrible because of the lag issues the servers have IIRC which was present in Black Ops and still hasn't been fixed in MW3.

wooty:
Im glad he didnt pick a winner, it stems the tide of "well my gameszszs is da best because yahtzee said it was.......olololol!!!"

I applaud your neutrality croshaw

It wasn't really neutrality though. He hated both of them and didn't want to call either of them a winner due to how little he thought of them.

Rule of thumb: if the Escapist reviews it, Yahtzee won't.
So we won't be seeing him slam Skyward Sword's controls. You can decide who gets the better end of the stick there.

I kind of like MW3, but there were some glaring plot holes, as in how the bloody fuck was Russia in France, Berlin, New York, London and Prague at the same time? AND WINNING?! This isn't the fucking Soviet Union people, Russia isn't that big anymore.

'Red Storm Rising' pretty much sums up how fast Russia can invade Europe. lol

NameIsRobertPaulson:

JasonBurnout16:

Ben Croshaw

Yes and because if he said it then that makes it the truth right?...no...no it doesn't.

Metalix Knightmare:

wooty:
Im glad he didnt pick a winner, it stems the tide of "well my gameszszs is da best because yahtzee said it was.......olololol!!!"

I applaud your neutrality croshaw

It wasn't really neutrality though. He hated both of them and didn't want to call either of them a winner due to how little he thought of them.

But hating both is more neutral than liking one. At least it makes sense to me.

erttheking:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

JasonBurnout16:

Ben Croshaw

Yes and because if he said it then that makes it the truth right?...no...no it doesn't.

You wanted a reason why he doesn't review multi-player, I gave you one.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

erttheking:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Ben Croshaw

Yes, but that does not mean that a company should sell a game at half price if it has a heavy multiplayer basis, where did you get that idea?

erttheking:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

erttheking:

Yes, but that does not mean that a company should sell a game at half price if it has a heavy multiplayer basis, where did you get that idea?

Team Fortress 2: $20 new on release day
Unreal Tournament 2004: $30 new on release day

That's why. If your game is built entirely for the multiplayer, and "no one plays the campaign anyway", why charge full price?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here