The Big Picture: Favorite Ms. Take - Part 1

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Favorite Ms. Take - Part 1

And you thought Breaking Dawn was weird.

Watch Video

ummm.....ew. I knew comics could be pretty sexist, but this takes the cake

What the heck was wrong with writer's back then?

Well, Im glad we finally got back to basics with The Big Picture. This episode was great.

"Find out, next time..."
1 Week... 7 days....166 hours.... you son of a bitch.

Your already covered this at the end of the episode but rape, attempted rape or any permination of that entire theme is really the third big storyline when it comes to female characters in pretty much all forms of fiction.

Damn you and your cliffhangers!

Good episode. I'd read about this storyline before a while back but I must've missed a few of the details since it's only now I realise how creepy and fucked up it really was.

But... it's female characters in superhero comics, and with the rare exception when they get a brilliant creative team, I'm so accustomed to them being written dreadfully it barely even registers unless they really overdo it (why hello, DC reboot!)

I swear, with Bob I have to clean up my brain chunks from my room every time he does one of these things. Seriously, how many times do you have to blow my mind up?

I wonder if her encounter with Rogue will be brought up in the next part.

dude I thought this was going to be light "COMICS ARE WEIRD" or not that was spooky

Now THATs an Oedipus complex!

That was almost too much to take in... Also, congrats on the 7000+ FaceBook likes on the last video!

Wait... so after she gave birth to her son/ lover, she carry on the relationship with the son/lower????

I take it the readers were too confused by the ordeal to actually be offended to form an angry mob during that time.

While I do know what happen to her next but I don't know how she got back as a mainstream character so I will be looking forward to next week.

OK, couple of things about this video:

1. Goddamnit, Bob, your show is called "The Big Picture". TALK ABOUT BIG PICTURE STUFF. I mean, a comics episode is fine every now and then, but come on! The only reason it's been so long since you did a comics episode is that you spent the whole month of October talking about bad sci-fi movies, which is BASICALLY THE SAME GODDAMN THING. Please, just...Talk about things that actually matter more often. You're good at it.

2. I swear if I hear that motherfucking "COMICS ARE WEIRD" bit ONE MORE TIME I WILL probably just press the mute button like I did in this video. Seriously though, please stop. It's really annoying.

So let get this clear: A superdouch kidnapp a superherione (MS Marvel) and had sex with her, where he made a clone version of him (this is fucking werid) in her fetus. Then he get born out of her and they start fucking again? There is so much incest and fucked up things in here, that a japaness hentai would start calling the police.

Uh Bob you do realize that this new episode is still really really dark. Right?

Rape and abduction and all that is not light.

Gah! Garth Marenghi! Awesome!

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
OK, couple of things about this video:

1. Goddamnit, Bob, your show is called "The Big Picture". TALK ABOUT BIG PICTURE STUFF. I mean, a comics episode is fine every now and then, but come on! The only reason it's been so long since you did a comics episode is that you spent the whole month of October talking about bad sci-fi movies, which is BASICALLY THE SAME GODDAMN THING. Please, just...Talk about things that actually matter more often. You're good at it.

2. I swear if I hear that motherfucking "COMICS ARE WEIRD" bit ONE MORE TIME I WILL probably just press the mute button like I did in this video. Seriously though, please stop. It's really annoying.

well aren't you mister cranky pants, but ya, one topic I would like for him to talk about is mlp:fim, or the hub channel really, and tell us if he is a brony or not....

Whoa, now that is totally messed up. Now I'm glad I don't read comic books.

Sometimes I get the impression that comic book writers had and still have been hanging backwards in time.

While the world was in the 80s, they were apparently still in the 50s.
Makes me wonder where they are today while we are in the 21ths century.

Orcboyphil:
snippity

There's also the matter of stuffing them in fridges... Ie. killing them just to get at someone else.

The site that coined the term "Women in Refrigerators" is here: http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/
Its basically a list of horrible stuff writers put their female characters through in comic books. Take a look at this one: All of Savage Dragon's girlfriends (dead)

There's some good stuff out there though. But maybe that's because the writers are women (Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, she made the site above)... or gay (Marc Andreyko's Manhunter)...

Scarim Coral:

I take it the readers were too confused by the ordeal to actually be offended to form an angry mob during that time.

It's sweet that you want to assume the best of fans of a largely sexist industry.

Vault Citizen:

I am wondering the same thing. My knowledge of the Marvel universe is limited to the cartoons, so Ms. Marvel to me is the woman Rogue put into a coma when she got her powers. Not much knowledge of anything else, so these episodes will be very informative.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

1. Goddamnit, Bob, your show is called "The Big Picture". TALK ABOUT BIG PICTURE STUFF.

It's only a name. Not to mention, more a play on his "moviebob" title. Besides, he laid out his aim at the beginning of the series, and this isn't out of line. If you think it is, the problem isn't him.

Did he just cliffhangered us? OH HELL NO!
Glad we get more comics are weird, best part of the show

Orks da best:

well aren't you mister cranky pants, but ya, one topic I would like for him to talk about is mlp:fim, or the hub channel really, and tell us if he is a brony or not....

I believe this was asked when Bob appeared in Desert Bus. He said he liked it, but he didn't seem like a huge fan. Does this make him a "brony"?

Finally, a new Comics are weird episode! Oh, how I've missed them. And I'm not even sad about the cliffhanger, cuz it means we'll get another one next week!

Wait a minute... People did not notice anything weird about a woman being raped by her future son. Then giving a birth to him and then fall in love with him?

Ohhhkaaay.

Hmm, the most Rebooted, rewritten and most reimagined of all female superheroes.
Now i always thought that title belonged to Power Girl.
This should be interesting :)

At least the Avengers got slightly better with counseling Mind-Control-Quasi-Rape-Victims in Alias (not the TV Series, although it will be turned into one it seems)...

...or...not really, with Thor hitting a highly traumatized and confused C-List Superhero in the Face with his un-metaphorical Hammer.

...Well, at least they were all sorry in the end.

CommanderKirov:
Wait a minute... People did not notice anything weird about a woman being raped by her future son. Then giving a birth to him and then fall in love with him?

Ohhhkaaay.

What can ya say it was the eighties.
Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
Still I guess the writers can't be blamed for trying to...

*puts on sunglasses*

knock her up a notch

CommanderKirov:

Ohhhkaaay.

But it had BABIES! All women can ever want! So getting pregnant (no matter how) is just what she wanted!
And to top it all, she also got a man out of it, so doubly good.

Seriously, it's really twisted.
And creepy that the writers apparently didn't see it as a violation.

For me, the creepiest part isn't the implied rape (which is pretty twisted when you think about it.)

Rather, it's the notion that the guy impregnated a chick with himself. Then said chick fell in love with the guy who she had recently given birth to.

I mean... da fuck?

Actually, by contemporary definitions, that was technically not rape. Before you flame me, allow me to explain:

As many here are fairly aware, rape in and of itself is one of the newer violent crimes established in western traditions. As such, what defined rape was very limited to violent forcible penetration without consent. The stereotype rapist were pretty much the only ones targeted by this definition. Many jurisdictions even required a resistance by the victim in order to establish force. As such, intercourse by coercion or deception were legal in many jurisdictions up until the 1990s when many reexamined the laws and amended them to include such tactics.

Some examples:

In a 1985 case, one American woman in New York was randomly called up and told she had a fatal disease and the only way to cure it was to have sex with a doctor's "assistant" (the caller wasn't even a doctor). The appellate court rule it not rape.

A 1988 case in Pennsylvania had a 14-year-old girl who had been released from juvenile detention into the custody of the defendant, who threatened to send her back unless she had sex with him. The appellate court reversed a conviction for rape due to lack of force.

One 1990 case whereby a principal at a Montana high school threatened to withhold a diploma from a graduating female student unless she had sex with him (she complied) was ruled reprehensible, but not rape.

Sadly, had Ms. Marvel realized what had actually happened to her and filed charges, her son/lover would probably have not been found guilty, or, failing that, would have had his conviction overturned on appeal.

But by now everyone should know that last generation's romance is this generation's stalking.

So I am only one to have no problem with that story?
And "raped"? More like "tricked" (Similar to what happens in clubs - some idiot comes dressed nice, plays good guy, buys few drinks, has sex). And it all ends nice (After "brain wash" washes away she is OK with all that and even continues relationship... And you call that "rape"...). If he kidnapped her and right away raped her then it would be RAPE. Obviously I haven't read that comic and don't know details and i also don't care about your opinion.

unacomn:

Vault Citizen:

I am wondering the same thing. My knowledge of the Marvel universe is limited to the cartoons, so Ms. Marvel to me is the woman Rogue put into a coma when she got her powers. Not much knowledge of anything else, so these episodes will be very informative.

It'll probably come up. Rogue was actually created for the purpose of killing Ms. Marvel after this mess, yet this being Marvel, death never sticks.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here