Jimquisition: How Skyrim Proves The Industry Wrong

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Best outburst of Fat Nerd Rage EVER!!! Also, good episode, Jim must get bored of being right all the time...

Bulls eye. Though Skyrim is one of few games i would adore with some co-op so i could enjoy it with friends. Instead of describing the gold mine(literal mining place for gold) i just rolled into we storm it together. Only some 100 hours in(barely touched the story on my current character; just going around the world exploring) and the only thing that could make it better was a LOW level of co-op tacked on right so that i could experience it with friends instead of companions. it doesn't need it but if they decided to bring us some cooperative options i wouldn't exactly say no to the idea.

I sure hope MG Rising get's enough hype.

Also Multi player can work for some games as some people have different views on their gaming preferences.

Bethesda is now at the mercy of their own success, and legal teams.

Holy shit, the ending fuckin' scared me a little bit. People keep doing that in real life around here. That's how popular Skyrim is where I live. I heard Fus-Ro-Dah 3 times last week at the weirdest moments. One would think I'd learn to predict it.

I don't get Skyrim.
It has no atmosphere. It has no interesting characters. It has no important overarching goals (well, there are dragons, but you kinda lose belief that they can actually cause damage after slaughtering dozen of them without any effort). It is ugly and lacks any color besides grey. It's buggy to the point of not being able to finish some quests. And despite all of that I've been playing it for 55 hours and want more.

It's strange. I agree with the points he made, but I REALLY hope the industry doesn't take ALL lessons from Bethesda.

I quite like good dialogue, meaningful plot decisions and a logical story as well games that don't make my items disappear, or don't have memory leaks that make visiting new areas impossible after a set amount of play time...

a-fucking-men.

would have been nice to mention how games like Red Dead Redemption succeed in having both a great single player campaign and a lucrative multiplayer experience, but for the most part I agree. there should just be a multiplayer market and a single player market. I think Valve has the best model right now, using games like TF2 and L4D2 for their multiplayer market, and Half-Life and Portal for the single player. Although I haven't played the Portal 2 co-op yet.

Well said, Jim.

Initially, like many, I was a very harsh critic of your bombastic, caustic personality in commentary (despite often agreeing with the sentiments expressed), but you've won me over during the run of your show.

Testify!

Jimothy Sterling:

Donnie Restad:
I really agree with your points, but I'm still having such a hard time getting past your cocky attitude and nasally voice...

Let's be fair. It's more straight whiny than nasal.

It was the extra credits guy that spoke like he had a clothespin on his nose.

Vamast:
you can't fly dragons. why?

Because the toolset isn't released yet.
Once it is, you cannot only ride dragons, you can marry them and have 12 dragon whelps with them.
And when they grow up, you'll be able to make them go conquer and enslave villages for you.
And you can also become a daedric prince and create the oblivion plane of everlasting cake.

Well those are the reason why my money went to Bethesda instead of Ubisoft, EA, Infinity Ward or Rocksteady.

Jim, I'm annoyed that you didn't mention the first PC patch adding a Steam requirement in order to play Skyrim instead of addressing a few bugs. And how it was applied even if you told your game to ask for updates before applying.

When I heard Mass Effect were considering a multi-player element I boiled with rage, thanks for keeping the bullshit out of the genius factory Bethesda.

DracoSuave:

As much as I knock Bethesda for some of their business... this is one aspect I must shake their hand on. They know how to make rpgs that matter.

As much as Bethesda the publisher seems to make some ill advised decisions, Bethesda the developer continues to amaze me.

Speaking of which, I laughed out loud when I found the Minecraft reference in Skyrim. That was awesome.

Did you mind control a chicken to attack a guy in the first clip?
This game may be more interesting than I thought.

Jim, you win the internets. Honestly I don't even think companies believe their bullshit themselves, it's just there to please shareholders who don't know anything about the actual gaming market.

Nice to see Jim gloating unashamedly. Imo its nothing new that the games industry is run by risk averse jerks that follow the Hollywood school of creativity (i.e sequelise everything to the nth degree, give people what you think they want rather than what they actually want etc). But its nice Jim calls them out on it.

I really want to Deus Ex with him.

Oh, I got that wrong?

Whoops.

Great episode, Jim. We really do need to slap your mindset into the gaming executives. Hell, why can't you try and take their position? That would make games awesome again.

FUS RO DAH!

I've heard of Skyrim, if only because everyone won't shut up about it.

"You can't beat Call of Duty by being Call of Duty."

Best line of the video.

That said, single player is for nerds, brah.

/trollface

leviadragon99:
Mmm-hmm, I've long been an advocate of single player over multiplayer.

On the respawning Dragons though, it can get a little annoying when I'm going about my buisiness and trying to turn in a quest in a major settlement when the third dragon in as many game days raids the same place...

You think that's bad? try handing all your questing gear over to your secret spy-mate and donning nought but dainty boots and a silken jacket in order to infiltrate a party full of mincing toffs.... only to have a dragon come crashing down, making the quest-giver go into cowardice mode (and incapable of speaking to you for some reason) while the person you just gave your fucking greatsword to is busy ignoring you and getting stuck in the scenery, leaving you to take down a dragon with your firsts.

The game isn't perfect, but its rich and engaging and yet non-restrictive in how you play it. Fully deserves GOTY, I feel kinda of bad now for making a fuss over the 35 pound steam prices and getting it physical copy for 28 quid. From Morrowind to Skyrim I loved this games.

Damn Jim yu scary ;o
FOOS ROH TA!

the first point is already strange to say the least, there is a difference how people perceive a big SP rpg ala Skyrim where they know they will get at least 20-30h worth of gameplay out of it and how the perceive a linear FPS or action game where the average gametime most probably won't exceed about 12h-ish hours (and no, it's not just the fault of MP that those games are shorter, there are no side quest in mostly liner affairs ala DS2 that wold pad out the game, you are telling a story and you can't draw the whole thing out into 40h otherwise you might as well throw any semblance of pacing out the window)

and the length of SR3 is another problem beyond "lololol DLC", it's a new engine and that requires work and money too

online pass, yeah agree

Doesn't matter if they do DLC right people will still complain about the horse armor.

My god, he's right. Jim Sterling really is right about everything.
Well, about Skyrim and how it proves a lot of publishers deeply held business beliefs wrong at any rate.
But really, that's the best thing to be right about. Take note publishers, I want to see more games that do what Skyrim does, and you want to see sales like Skyrim has.

Bravo! I especially like The Regular Show "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!" in there too. The last part was brilliant and we ALL need a little more mead in our lives.

Well, you're wrong about the wanting to sex you part, Jim. Everything else is pretty much spot on. Especially Naughty Dog's lame excuses for online passes (they just released a patch today, and one of the things the patch does is keep medal streaks going if host migration occurs because the current host leaves the game... WHY THE FUCK IS THERE AN ONLINE PASS IF IT'S NOT USING DEDICATED SERVERS FOR THE MATCHES?!) and Saints Row The Third being painfully short but with plenty of DLC coming soon.

Qitz:
Now if we can take what Bethesda teaches about design and combine it with what Valve shows about prices, the industry could explode from epicness.

And what Valve shows about not having your games bugged to shit. That's a good lesson too, especially for Bethesda. It's not like they released 4 PS3 games in a row with the same "your game starts running like shit if your save file gets too big" bug and never fixed it until the 4th game it was in, and even then it's not fixed and people are saying that Skyrim still lags but just not as often, right? Oh wait...

Of course, I learned after Fallout 3 on PC not to buy their games for that platform (PC is the way to go so you can use mods and the console to get yourself out of bugs that Bethesda will never bother to fix), but some people are fanboys with only one platform and will keep buying these things on PS3. And Bethesda keeps shafting them, which makes it really hard for me to take them seriously as a developer. I don't look at them and see "hey these are the guys who made Skyrim, they're awesome", I see "these are the clowns who keep releasing nearly broken games for PS3, what's wrong with them?!".

Vamast:
you can't fly dragons. why?

Two words, Horse armor.

pathetic... comparing skyrim to any other game
it's an open world game for at least 50+ hours... of course it doesn't need an online mode
and of course because it does not need an online pass because there is no such thing as server fees
where do you come from to assume that any of that can say anything about any other game?

what are we comparing next?
minesweeper to assassin's creed?

1. I saw the Fus Do Rah bit from a mile away, but still thoroughly enjoyed it.

2. I have to admit, I watched one episode of Jimquisition and wasn't very impressed, but after watching this, I have nothing but love for it. He is completely reasonable and accurate on all counts, including online passes. I can only say this about his Skyrim video: Jim is a brilliant, sexy bastard, the likes of which have not been seen since the beginning of ZP.

Thank God for you, Jim...someone who will tell it like it is.

It's easy to blame the industry big-wigs for not exercising wisdom about this stuff, but truly, it's the consumers buying into those ideas that is creating these problems.

I teach middle-schoolers. When they asked me if I was buying MW3, I said no. They asked why and I explained that the first thing I look for in a game is a good single-player experience. Their response?

"Oh come on, nobody plays single-player anymore!"

Yeah... Granted these are a small handful of pre-teens, but there's an example of someone thinking that "buy a new CoD each year, pay for XBOX Live Gold, play thousands of hours of multi-player, buy new map packs as they come out, rinse and repeat" is the quintessential gaming experience. And there more people who think that way than I'd like to admit.

Way to go, Bethesda for proving that that model of gaming isn't the ONLY model worth pursuing, despite the existence of millions of CoD-kiddies.

mjc0961:
Well, you're wrong about the wanting to sex you part, Jim. Everything else is pretty much spot on. Especially Naughty Dog's lame excuses for online passes (they just released a patch today, and one of the things the patch does is keep medal streaks going if host migration occurs because the current host leaves the game... WHY THE FUCK IS THERE AN ONLINE PASS IF IT'S NOT USING DEDICATED SERVERS FOR THE MATCHES?!) and Saints Row The Third being painfully short but with plenty of DLC coming soon.

Qitz:
Now if we can take what Bethesda teaches about design and combine it with what Valve shows about prices, the industry could explode from epicness.

And what Valve shows about not having your games bugged to shit. That's a good lesson too, especially for Bethesda. It's not like they released 4 PS3 games in a row with the same "your game starts running like shit if your save file gets too big" bug and never fixed it until the 4th game it was in, and even then it's not fixed and people are saying that Skyrim still lags but just not as often, right? Oh wait...

Of course, I learned after Fallout 3 on PC not to buy their games for that platform (PC is the way to go so you can use mods and the console to get yourself out of bugs that Bethesda will never bother to fix), but some people are fanboys with only one platform and will keep buying these things on PS3. And Bethesda keeps shafting them, which makes it really hard for me to take them seriously as a developer. I don't look at them and see "hey these are the guys who made Skyrim, they're awesome", I see "these are the clowns who keep releasing nearly broken games for PS3, what's wrong with them?!".

Meh beth makes huge worlds sure they are buggy and unbalanced but the sheer amount of content tends to make up for it, even more so with expansions.

All in all on the PC the games are good to great becuse you can mod it to taste, if you are on the console you are doubly screwed due t a lack of mods and never ending beta testing.

All the things he listed are also why I'm loving Skyward Sword. Nice, long single-player quest with no DLC just doin' it's own thing. Skyrim has also been awesome, and despite both having some issues, they've never been enough to make me think of either as any less than awesome.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here