Zero Punctuation: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

I'm kind of surprised by Skyrim. The content is good but the gameplay is . . . not at all suprising, or different. We had mana and stamina in the 90's in this exact way, the combat system could've been done years ago, and the quests and the etc etc. They didn't even change it A LITTLE. I can't wait untill the creation kit arrives and we can get more visceral and fun combat, and more immersion.

Dexter111:
Snippitysnip

Its changed a lot. In Arena/Daggerfall you could create a spell that could wipe out a whole village in one blow,

Morrowind limitted this, but you could jump so high that you would fall down and die (And unlike Skyrim, that would take like 50ft). And run ten times faster than a horse. But you couldnt quite make damagespells of total destruction and doom.

Oblivion limitted this, you could still create the same damage spells as Morrowind, but now you were kinda limitted on other points such as running and jumping.

Then we had Skyrim, no creating spells. Whatsoever. No running faster and no jumping over tall buildings, still. They took a trip back to the roots of Morrowind by allowing mountainclimbing. Kudos for that.

Call of Duty 1 - Duck behind cover, shoot stuff with rifle.
Call of Duty 2 - Better graphics Duck Behind cover, shoot stuff with rifle.
Call of Duty 3 - Better graphics, now you can instead of ducking behind cover, actually hug cover.
Call of Duty 4 - Same as other 3, but in mdoern times! Grenade launcher are now inbound.
Modern Warfare 1-2. Like 4, shorter campaign. Kind of in the episodic sense. But it was back to familiarity.
Black Ops - Modern Warfare 2, but made by another company. With a whole different story.
Modern Ware 3 - End of story, follows mostly same gameplay with no real major changes to Call of Duty 1. Except perhaps the loss of dedicated servers.. Although that isnt exactly excluse to this game, nor is it gameplay. Nor was it actually MW3.

Now I must admit, if you played Call of Duty changed from being a semi-realstic for the time WW2 shooter, to going to a semi-realistic for the time Modern Shooter. To going completely batshitcrazy B-actionmoviestyle with the story and abandoning most senses of logic it had :P

And if you only played as a meele fighter Arena through Skyrim. I can see your point, only thing to really change then is the enchanted gear. Because of the magic, but then again. If you since Arena have played a warrior scared to merchants and enchanting and everything magic (God you're boring) Then you wouldnt have noticed much of a change besides graphics.

Dexter111:
What almost all of those story-based plotline games have in common is a carefully hand-crafted experience, and even in the case of the "Open-World" RPGs I actually like, like Gothic or Risen there's a high degree of care that went into the level and game design.

For instance, every single dungeon is an entirely different experience for itself and wasn't just put there because "you can enter it and kill some undead", they are all different and offer a challenge, different puzzles and a goal, which I find a lot more fun and interesting, even if that means it's "only" ~10-15 fully-built and designed dungeons instead of the "amazing" number of 120+ that all look and feel almost the same (or have no point to them) I'd take those over the others any day.

I once again disagree with you saying all the dungeons are the same and have no point. Same theme =/= the same. And if you're telling me you can't see the point to them, did you completely forget that plot point about you gathering dragon shouts? Because with many dungeons, that's what's laying at the bottom. Not to mention how most dungeons have an associated quest or contain a little story. I think what you did was just scratch the surface, because when I think back, I recall nearly all of my dungeon visits to be memorable and different.

For example,

Dexter111:
Never could particularly get along with Bethesda games because of the reasons above, if a (inherently not very creative) computer algorithm can create something, why should I waste my time playing it? Most of that stuff seems like padding to me.

Look closer at what you're doing than not at all. Read books. Go for hikes. Also do those things in skyrim. You'll notice more care went into this game than you would like to admit.

Dexter111:
And I keep hearing that argument about "it plays in the same xxx region, of course it looks the same" and it just sounds like an excuse for laziness and lack of creativity, as they are completely open about how to design their game, what to include and where to set it etc. or also how the landscape will look from the very start... kind of like saying "my game plays in complete darkness, of course you're not able to see anything!" just on another level to get away from actually doing the work xD

I thought I could respect you for knowing your stuff, then you end this passage with a smiley face. And your argument is strawmanning me in a way. I admitted the stuff looks similar, and I offered that because it was all built in the nordic way, it would look similar. I'll admit to you that yes, a lot if not most of the inns look the goddamn same. And some towns have eerily similar layouts. But you must recall, a lot of this was commanded to be built by The Empire, who I'm pretty sure have stringent building policies. I never said it all looked the same, so you're just putting words in my mouth there. I will once again press the point: These be nordic empire lands. The smaller towns will be similar because they lack materials and money that larger cities have. They are built not for style, but for necessity. I see this and understand this. I really don't see what the problem is. I'll concede that there are building which look the same (mostly inns and watermills), but if you actually take a longer look, you'll see the differences.

Dexter111:
As for the city types, the same applies, sure they're going to have a different-looking layout, that's the least you can ask from them, but the base building-blocks (like the models of the houses and other buildings outside... for instance those windmills are like everywhere are usually the very same and they barely put any work into it, the few taverns I entered also all look the same (from inside), they just have different NPCs walking around and as I said most of the homes of a lot of people also are, there's basically small/middle sized/big house.

Those are watermills. Windmills use wind and watermills use water. I think I've seen maybe like 2 windmills while most towns have watermills if they're next to a river. Only makes sense though, might as well harvest that water power if its there.
Also, Whiterun is completely different than Solitude, both in style on the inside and outside. They are both different than Markarth, Windhelm, Winterhold, Riften and Morthal. I unfortunately haven't visited Dawnstar or Falkreath yet, but if the other cities are anything to go by, I'll bet they're different as well. As for the smaller towns, yes, they appear similar, especially with their inns and mills, but the homes have differences.

Dexter111:
Bethesda loves to employ those techniques in a lot of what they do (from terrain generation to loot, enemies, generated quests and a lot more), same thing with the "infinite" amount of dragons that can spawn everywhere... just because there's *more* of something doesn't make it better, I'd rather have had just a few distinct and very different fights than over a dozen/hundred samey ones...

There aren't an infinite amount of dragons. Counting the ones whose soul you can drink, there are about 60. Then there's Alduin and Odahviing and Paarthurnax. So about 63. And these dragons are another random encounter which genuinely spice up the game even more. Hell, I was exploring Winterhold College once and went out onto the roof and a goddamn dragon did a flyby on me! I ran inside because my magic wasn't as powerful as my swords and did some tasks inside. When I went out onto another tower, the dragon was still there, circling the college. He proceeded sit on a building a breathe ice on me. I once again ran inside and healed up, did a task and then went into the central area in the college, and the dragon was still there, waiting for me. He landed, we dueled and now there is a nice little dragonbone decoration in the field of the mage's college. Now, I can give a bunch more unique dragonfighting events like I did with the dungeons, but I won't. Because I don't have the time to type it all down.

Hell, if I wanted to, I could probably type up an entire thread's worth of random encounters, dragon attacks and dungeon experiences, but I quite honestly don't have the time and I'm fairly sure if I did, you would still not be convinced that more care, love and time went into this game than a press of the "generate random game" button. If this is all really the work of a random generator, then it must be an amazing one because it can craft an experience better than most gaming companies can.

Not discussing the flaws so you can take another swipe at games you have already denounced...sigh, how disappointing.

Jennacide:

Slayer_2:

Jennacide:
I love in the end credits he knows that there will be nude mods and child murder mods. The second one having been already made. The mod community can be nice, but also stupidly predictable at times.

While it's predictable, it also kind of makes sense. You have a game that lets you do pretty much whatever you want, EXCEPT a few things. You tell a human they can't do X, and they'll try do it. Then Bethesda has the cruel sense of humour to make kids jerks who are also invincible.

There is nothing cruel about it though. Bethesda wanted to play it safe since games have come under a ton of scrunity lately. Fallout may of allowed child murder before, since you could kill anything, but that was when it was a niche game and went completely unnoticed. After fiascos like Fox News and Mass Effects 'explicit alien fornication' Bethesda hedged their bets, and I don't blame them one bit.

Yes there is a lot of flak from anti-game lobbyists, but if you played Fallout 3 you'd know that someone had fun with making those kids as annoying as possible. In reality, those anti-game lobbyists are like a mouse attacking a battle tank, they really can't do much, gaming is a business that brings in billions, and it's quickly widening it's audience. Soon it will be as common as TV or rock and roll, other forms of media that were hated upon equally. Some people are just resistant to change.

Regardless, I find the children mods are popular because they're easy to make, and they "fix" the game, at least in some people's perspective.

Nikolaz72:

Dexter111:
Snippitysnip

Its changed a lot. In Arena/Daggerfall you could create a spell that could wipe out a whole village in one blow,

Morrowind limitted this, but you could jump so high that you would fall down and die (And unlike Skyrim, that would take like 50ft). And run ten times faster than a horse. But you couldnt quite make damagespells of total destruction and doom.

Oblivion limitted this, you could still create the same damage spells as Morrowind, but now you were kinda limitted on other points such as running and jumping.

Then we had Skyrim, no creating spells. Whatsoever. No running faster and no jumping over tall buildings, still. They took a trip back to the roots of Morrowind by allowing mountainclimbing. Kudos for that.

Call of Duty 1 - Duck behind cover, shoot stuff with rifle.
Call of Duty 2 - Better graphics Duck Behind cover, shoot stuff with rifle.
Call of Duty 3 - Better graphics, now you can instead of ducking behind cover, actually hug cover.
Call of Duty 4 - Same as other 3, but in mdoern times! Grenade launcher are now inbound.
Modern Warfare 1-2. Like 4, shorter campaign. Kind of in the episodic sense. But it was back to familiarity.
Black Ops - Modern Warfare 2, but made by another company. With a whole different story.
Modern Ware 3 - End of story, follows mostly same gameplay with no real major changes to Call of Duty 1. Except perhaps the loss of dedicated servers.. Although that isnt exactly excluse to this game, nor is it gameplay. Nor was it actually MW3.

Now I must admit, if you played Call of Duty changed from being a semi-realstic for the time WW2 shooter, to going to a semi-realistic for the time Modern Shooter. To going completely batshitcrazy B-actionmoviestyle with the story and abandoning most senses of logic it had :P

And if you only played as a meele fighter Arena through Skyrim. I can see your point, only thing to really change then is the enchanted gear. Because of the magic, but then again. If you since Arena have played a warrior scared to merchants and enchanting and everything magic (God you're boring) Then you wouldnt have noticed much of a change besides graphics.

almost every complaint about skyrim boils down to "you can't break the game like you used to, waaaaahhhhhh"

tough luck, sorry you can't abuse the mechanics any more.

My favorite part was how he joked on how the authorites of Tamirel keep imprisoning the Elder Scrolls heroes.

Couldn't Bethesta go with something slightly more inventive next Elder Scrolls game? like having the hero be a recently freed slave?

Urameshi13:
Role-playing someone with a crippling fear of victory and success?

Oh, you played as an Occupier.

AHHA!! HAHAHA! It's funny cause it's true. :D

SnakeoilSage:

BlackWidower:
Funnily enough, while I wrote the comment before I watched the video, I didn't actually post it until after I watched it in case I could add something like:

"Oh no, Yahtzee's had a seizure, it's the only possible explanation, considering he just praised it."

So you are saying he gave a good review!? Well, relatively, yeah. But it's still pretty harsh, which was my point.

I think he gave it a better review than Oblivion. I'm wary to say he gave it a good review, because I can't be sure he isn't just really sick of Shooter Season 2011 and thus much more forgiving of a game that his eyes can enjoy without being shoved between an ironsight.

I agree with him, though, the game needs a hardcore survival mode like Fallout: New Vegas. And a "middle-man" options so you can have merchants sell your expensive gear for a small commisssion, allowing you to get a better price for all your loot so long as you're willing to wait a few days (the money could be delivered to your home or by courier).

I hope modders are listening to this.

...that sounds incredibly boring. Then again I think the Elder Scrolls series sounds incredibly boring. I'm probably not the right audience for this.

Funny... Since I can play Skyrim for days and get maximum enjoyment.
So your argument that you can gain more enjoyment out of batman or any other game than I can out of Skyrim is close minded and one sided.

Skyrim didn't manage to keep my interest more than two hours .... Good thing I didn't buy it.

I just don't get these bethesda RPGs. To me they're just bad games; clunky interfaces, poor scripting, uninteresting combat and wholly unbalanced. I guess they're interesting as virtual worlds?

Other than that everything about these games shrieks "Been there, done that" to me. Can we have something new, please?

lol'd @ the horse

How about a nice tall glass of FUS RO DA BITCH!!

It always helps to play a good game with some flaws right after a bunch of really bad games with out flaws, it helps bring out the charity in you

Awesome review. Well done.

Little dissapointed that Yahtzee, destroyer of all games good or bad, did not step on Skyrim's throat for being the bland game that it is. I forgive him because he was coming fresh from Shooter Season 2011 and that would have been a terrible experience to go through. The BF3 and MW3 campaigns alone would have been enough to make me think the next game I played would be amazing.

How annoying it is when you can't watch reviews like this without spoiling the game you haven't been able to play yet.
Isn't the point of making these to... show... it
Bah, i don't even

Random Fella:
Funny... Since I can play Skyrim for days and get maximum enjoyment.
So your argument that you can gain more enjoyment out of batman or any other game than I can out of Skyrim is close minded and one sided.

HAHAHAH! Sorry, this is brilliant. Keep livin' the dream man, keep livin' the dream!

Gubernaculum:
Little dissapointed that Yahtzee, destroyer of all games good or bad, did not step on Skyrim's throat for being the bland game that it is. I forgive him because he was coming fresh from Shooter Season 2011 and that would have been a terrible experience to go through. The BF3 and MW3 campaigns alone would have been enough to make me think the next game I played would be amazing.

You too, man! God, this made my life.

*sniff*

Zero Puncuation reviews are as funny as ever. Skyrim is amazing but I hope he doesn't review that JRPG Tales of Graces. It might hurt him

hahahahahahahahah soooo true :p

"Sure that's cute"
"Don't try... to manipulate me."
"Whatever you want."
"You're a big fat liar"

-Rest in peace boredom pie.

spot on, Yahtzee :]

especially with that horse...she really doesn't give a damn!

Anyone else think he was ridiculously lenient with this game? His shtick is that he points out all the flaws in a game but there were so many that he just flat-out ignored. Does he just have a stiffy for any sandbox game that floats his way?

I also like how he's critical of other companies that release tons of sequels and 'rehashes' and whatnot, but never mentions how Bethesda has released Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim all on the same platforms in a just five years.

Mr. Fahrenheit:
Anyone else think he was ridiculously lenient with this game? His shtick is that he points out all the flaws in a game but there were so many that he just flat-out ignored. Does he just have a stiffy for any sandbox game that floats his way?

I also like how he's critical of other companies that release tons of sequels and 'rehashes' and whatnot, but never mentions how Bethesda has released Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim all on the same platforms in a just five years.

Got to remember that when he made the review, he had just come off of Shooter Season 2011. It was his job to review single player games that alot of people just would not touch.

He will rip Skyrim a new one with TES6 game hopefully.

Skin:

Mr. Fahrenheit:

Got to remember that when he made the review, he had just come off of Shooter Season 2011. It was his job to review single player games that alot of people just would not touch.

He will rip Skyrim a new one with TES6 game hopefully.

Wouldn't touch? Skyrim is the Call of Duty of RPGs. EVERYONE played Skyrim.

Just felt like he intentionally ignored the worst of the flaws. I find it hard to believe that he'd just miss them on his first fly-over or neglect to mention any of the things that Bethesda has done wrong lately.

So, a RPG that you actually liked? good to see you admit it :)

"There are a lot of flaws in skyrim." The end.

You're supposed to tell us those flaws!! With lots of swearing!

Good review, as always!

Yahtzee, i am very disappointed in you. You have praised a game that does not in anyway deserve it. You ignored the fact that the game play was shit, that combat was just hit button until enemy dies, the fact that the game is easy as a school whore. The fact that the "story" was a bland and predictable mess, the fact that all of the quests are just go here kill this, go here give that, or go here get this. The game isn't even a goddamn RPG, it is an action game with a few poorly done RPG elements. It is a mindless hack and slasher with boring repetitive environments, bland and repetitive character design, absolutely atrocious weapon design, and no real good points. The only thing people seem to be able to offer as a defense is that you can mod what you do not like, but if the community is making this game good, then why has it earned awards? Also, can someone please tell me why every Skyrim fanboy would be nerd raging at Yahtzee if he called it bad, and yet is acting like he is god because he called it good? And Yahtzee, did you not once say that a game that has been handed perfect scores across the board does not need to be excused? Then why did you not call out fanboys excusing the flaws for mods, and why are you excusing it simply because it is open world? Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, you are a bloody hypocrite.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here