Rayman Origins Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rayman Origins Review

Rayman is back to pull out all the stops and break a few speed limits.

Read Full Article

Vidya is broken.

WMDogma:
Rayman Origins Review

Rayman is back to pull out all the stops and break a few speed limits.

Read Full Article

the video is broken it should be fixed soon

Working on it! Bit of a hiccup in the system this morning.

What? I have to "read" the review first? I am a very busy man.

Damn you Origins. I thought I'd go through this month while keeping my budget low by not buying any $50+ games (Most expensive game being the Team Ico Collection) but you look so great... Maybe I'll have to get you...

What I will add gents, is this is the perfect game if you've got a girlfriend that occasionally picks up a pad.

Gotta admit though, I've only had a few rounds of the demo. It is a great game, but I ain't dropping those kind of notes on a simple, old-school platformer.

Tin Man:
What I will add gents, is this is the perfect game if you've got a girlfriend that occasionally picks up a pad.

Gotta admit though, I've only had a few rounds of the demo. It is a great game, but I ain't dropping those kind of notes on a simple, old-school platformer.

Simple? Some of the levels get quite complex and sometimes it feels like I'm playing Prince of Persia once you're able to really flow with the game.

Video is up! Apologies for the delay.

Enjoyed the demo and this review confirmed my thoughts: definitely getting this!

I bought the Wii version last weekend and judging from the video, I'm surprised at how much was retained in the Wii version, I can even confirm it looks identical to the Wii version, except for the HD resolution, wich in my opinion, it's not that necessary for this game, it looks gorgeous at steady 60 fps.

The moment you mentioned the soundtrack, I had the feeling you'd mention that level and I was right, one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard from a platformer and that's saying a lot.

In fact, this may be the best thing Ubisoft has ever done this entire generation.

Great review.

finally a Rayman game which doesnt involve Rabbids!

I tried my hardest not to buy this game, honestly I did. <:(
I've already spent over $200 on Skyrim alone, and I've bought the ICO/SotC collection and Uncharted 3 as well, so I'm running low on money...

...but I really, really want this. Not only the game, but the soundtrack as well.

Damn you Ubisoft. I'm sold. Shops tomorrow.

Cleril:

Tin Man:

Simple? Some of the levels get quite complex and sometimes it feels like I'm playing Prince of Persia once you're able to really flow with the game.

Although I've only played the demo, I don't mean simple as a synonym for easy... Megaman games are simple: you run in one direction, this button shoots, this button jumps, this one slides, but easy they ain't. Rayman has running, jumping, grabbing and elementary combat, and apart from the odd change up(flying levels for example), it doesn't go much beyond that. Once you've completed it, you're invited to do it all again, only optimally. And that's pretty much your lot.

I don't count that against the game very much, it is what it is and does it very well, and I respect that, but there simply isn't enough reasons for me to spend a full 40 on that game when there is so much else right now.

Andronicus:
I've already spent over $200 on Skyrim alone

Sorry? How'd you manage that!?

Tin Man:

Cleril:

Tin Man:

Although I've only played the demo, I don't mean simple as a synonym for easy... Megaman games are simple: you run in one direction, this button shoots, this button jumps, this one slides, but easy they ain't. Rayman has running, jumping, grabbing and elementary combat, and apart from the odd change up(flying levels for example), it doesn't go much beyond that. Once you've completed it, you're invited to do it all again, only optimally. And that's pretty much your lot.

I don't count that against the game very much, it is what it is and does it very well, and I respect that, but there simply isn't enough reasons for me to spend a full 40 on that game when there is so much else right now.

Ah, now we're on the same page. My dad wanted the game and we pre-ordered it and got Beyond Good and Evil HD for free which is pretty solid of a deal.

I find Rayman much better than Donkey Kong and Super Mario, if only because Rayman is very fair giving you plenty of hearts and has checkpoints everywhere!

Only real complaint I would make, objectively, is that while the graphics are nice, parents might get the idea that it's a game for kids, and the difficulty says otherwise methinks. That is, 12 and up should be fine.

Cleril:

Only real complaint I would make, objectively, is that while the graphics are nice, parents might get the idea that it's a game for kids, and the difficulty says otherwise methinks. That is, 12 and up should be fine.

Before I carry on, if I got BGE:HD with it, I'd have snapped that bitch up! Thats a wicked old game that is...

Anywho, while I agree with you pretty much entirely good sir, I think you hit on an interesting discussion point at the end there.

I would argue that this IS a game for kids, in the real(good) old school way. And I think that's a great thing, there are loads of complex(in whatever way that means for you really) games out there with all manner of combat systems, objective types, genres, level up mechanics, stats and allsorts out there for older gamers, but I personally applaud a game aimed at younger gamers that encourages a healthy challenge.

My betters halfs little brother is just getting into console gaming, and I can attest that when looking at games that he can play and will actually like enough to get into gaming proper, the pickings from that perspective are pretty slim...

Besides, it can't be any worse then what we had back in the day... You lost all your lives little Johnny? START THE FUCK AGAIN!! STOP CRYING!! You're near the last boss and have to go to bed? TOUGH SHIT! NO SAVE POINTS FOR YOU! Can't solve this puzzle or beat this boss? THERE AIN'T NO INTERNETS TO HELP YOU BITCH, YOUR ASS IS MINE!!!!

DAMN I want this game. Unfortunately, from what I played at EuroGamer, it's much more fun in co-op... so I'll have to persuade my friend to buy it too :P

Tin Man:

Cleril:

Before I carry on, if I got BGE:HD with it, I'd have snapped that bitch up! Thats a wicked old game that is...

Anywho, while I agree with you pretty much entirely good sir, I think you hit on an interesting discussion point at the end there.

I would argue that this IS a game for kids, in the real(good) old school way. And I think that's a great thing, there are loads of complex(in whatever way that means for you really) games out there with all manner of combat systems, objective types, genres, level up mechanics, stats and allsorts out there for older gamers, but I personally applaud a game aimed at younger gamers that encourages a healthy challenge.

My betters halfs little brother is just getting into console gaming, and I can attest that when looking at games that he can play and will actually like enough to get into gaming proper, the pickings from that perspective are pretty slim...

Besides, it can't be any worse then what we had back in the day... You lost all your lives little Johnny? START THE FUCK AGAIN!! STOP CRYING!! You're near the last boss and have to go to bed? TOUGH SHIT! NO SAVE POINTS FOR YOU! Can't solve this puzzle or beat this boss? THERE AIN'T NO INTERNETS TO HELP YOU BITCH, YOUR ASS IS MINE!!!!

True enough, I was just thinking that like, Mega Man X2 was more graphically atuned for 12 and up while Rayman looks like a cartoon show (that is, it's pwetty), which means a 5 year old may recieve this game and I don't see how they could manage getting past the first water level. I died at least 10 times myself on that one but that's because the level is really, really poorly designed (don't get me wrong, at least 3 levels are utterly blown me away because they are both steadily difficult and have awesome set pieces).

And don't make me get into that water level because if so I'm going to have to voice record it because I'm tired of typing the issues with that level.

SirBryghtside:
DAMN I want this game. Unfortunately, from what I played at EuroGamer, it's much more fun in co-op... so I'll have to persuade my friend to buy it too :P

I played co-op with my dad and hated it. Primarily because my dad is not as good a gamer (by any amount) as me, plus he kept slapping me instead of the enemy.

Now if you played with an actual gamer, sure, might be fun, never tried it.

Not worth $60. I would have bought it for $20, maybe $30. I was shocked this wasn't just an arcade download.

People should try the demo tho.

I played the demo, and was thoroughly interested, but the question remains: is it a 40+ platformer, if such things can exist.

I've played Rayman 3 before, and it was really good. God knows how many Rabbids games later, he's back, and from the sound of things he's doing just as good as ever. They seem to have gone back to the first game's style; considering getting this one, possibly.

60 levels you say?
Chalenging you say?

Scantilly clad nymphs you say?

Looks good; I hope it comes out on Steam someday.

Im adding this to my "Want more than air!!" pile.

Bob_F_It:
I played the demo, and was thoroughly interested, but the question remains: is it a 40+ platformer, if such things can exist.

Sober Thal:
Not worth $60. I would have bought it for $20, maybe $30. I was shocked this wasn't just an arcade download.

Errrrrg, I get it if people are strapped for cash right now, but I hate the idea that a 2D platformer isn't allowed to be a full game. Back in my day, we paid full price for 2D games like Earthworm Jim or Oddworld and we didn't complain. *shakes cane angrily*

Trust me, I own the game and just because it doesn't have fancy 3D graphics doesn't mean it's not worth a purchase. It has quite a bit of content and it's probably the best 2D platformer I've played this generation. Much better than stuff like New Super Mario Bros Wii or Donkey Kong Country Returns. (a possible exception is Braid and/or LIMBO, but that doesn't really count)

Also, Michel Ancel needs money, or we're never gonna get Beyond Good and Evil 2. :(

Glass Joe the Champ:

Bob_F_It:

Sober Thal:

Errrrrg, I get it if people are strapped for cash right now, but I hate the idea that a 2D platformer isn't allowed to be a full game. Back in my day, we paid full price for 2D games like Earthworm Jim or Oddworld and we didn't complain. *shakes cane angrily*

Trust me, I own the game and just because it doesn't have fancy 3D graphics doesn't mean it's not worth a purchase. It has quite a bit of content and it's probably the best 2D platformer I've played this generation. Much better than stuff like New Super Mario Bros Wii or Donkey Kong Country Returns. (a possible exception is Braid and/or LIMBO, but that doesn't really count)

Also, Michel Ancel needs money, or we're never gonna get Beyond Good and Evil 2. :(

Sorry, as far as I know, back in my day (Pitfall), and today (anything Nintendo), 2d platformers didn't, and don't, cost $60. I could be wrong, but none come to mind.

But at the cost of a dollar a level, and the HD artwork put forth IS rather stunning, I can see why some would want this for it's price. But as I said, after the demo, I'm not one of them.

And as far as Beyond Good and Evil 2 goes.... that was a joke. The part about Rayman having to sell well I mean. The game is a go, it would have just made things easier (they could devote more extra time/resources) if they had the extra cash.

My type of game.

so if I buy this will there me a beyond good and evil 2?

YES THANK YOU GOD! YES!

Too bad this game will be a financial failure because no one wants to pay 60$ for a 2D platformer nowadays.

Probably my favourite platforming game is the first Rayman. Watching this has made me want to replay it, but I have no idea where my disc is.
I'm not at all as drawn to this game though. How can a game that focuses on co-op be fast paced? It seems so ridiculously counter-productive. Could someone that's played the game compare it to the first one for me? That music is awesome though.

wounder if yahtzee will review this

I don't think it is very much like the other Rayman games which is a litte sad.

For example, I do not enjoy the fact that my character is 1/30 of the screen but I know that the team decided to make it that way in order to make fast-paced gameplay, as well as multiplayer, possible.

It is a great game and I am glad I spent my money on it but I was hoping for more of a Rayman experience... You know... Like Rayman 1,2 or 3.
This just feels like a multiplayer spin-off more than a real entry in the franchise which is kind of sad.

But I haven't yet played through the game, so who knows, maybe something will happen at the end story-wise that will make this a more memorable part of the Rayman series. For now, this was the least enjoyable game from the four main games.

I still love love LOVE it though! Especially the soundtrack! :DD
Too bad that it hasn't been selling too well for now, but we all know why that happened, of course.

Look at those COLOURS!!
Seriously, it looks great, full of life and the soundtrack seems catchy
And the gameplay seems quite good, too.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook