Escape to the Movies: Hugo

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hugo

Do not take the spoiler warning in this video lightly.

Watch Video

First person to comment, lucky me

EDIT: This is actually the first time I've heard of this movie and wow. I didn't know that Sacha Baron Cohen actually did roles that were not comedic.

Already found out about the twist from the Daily Show. If it's biggest flaw is being schizophrenic then it seems like it might be worth a shot.

Idlemessiah:
Spoilers and all, it's probably still going to be one of the better films this season.

I'll go if Hu go

Spoilers and all, it's probably still going to be one of the better films this season.

Okay, question:

What game is that character from at 4:51 in the vid?

Wait, that chick's a guy? I just thought it was one of those weird japanese cross-dresser things, like in Sailor Moon. Or Justin Beiber.

You have to keep reminding yourself the new Spiderman reboot is coming out

I keep desperately trying to forget that the new Spiderman reboot is coming out.

You're the lucky one Bob.

I will probably not be seeing this movie, though I am much more interested in it now than before seeing this review

GamemasterAnthony:
Okay, question:

He's the villain in Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, other than that I can say no more, haven't played it yet, but I know enough about the game to know that

OT: Now THAT is a spoiler, but I probably still won't see it, not enough funds to waste on a movie concept I have little interest in

I am still a little torn about the film. I understand that it's Scorcese and everything, but the book is unique.

I hate people who think that film adaptations of their favorite books will ruin everything, but The Invention of Hugo Cabret is a book that is sort of ground breaking as far as children's literature is concerned simply because it's kind of a combination of a traditional book, with large portions of the book consisting solely of pictures that must be "read" in order for one to receive the full context.

While I can't say that people here should or shouldn't go see the movie because
a) I haven't seen it yet and
b) that's Bob's job,
I can say that if everyone here reads the book, they'll be shocked. Even as a teacher, I don't really keep track of the current trends in children's literature, but this book is one-of-a-kind and has an amazing depth of character and story for a kids book. There isn't anything else like it, and probably won't be for a while.

A schizophrenic Scorsese is probably better than 85% of other directors when focused.

Gah! I want to see this movie so I had to stop watching 2 minutes in to this review... but on the other hand I'm guessing he's also going to point out the big negatives of this movie.
Oh well... I will have to experience them on my own and hope to remember to check back here retrospectively.

Damnit, Bob, I really want to watch the rest of the video, but now you've got me worried that I'm going to have a mind-blowing turn of events comparable to the plot twist in Bioshock spoiled for me if I go any further.

EDIT: I think I was just ninja'd.

I should dig out that book again. Be interesting to re-read it knowing... What I know now. Actually almost posted the spoiler, hoo boy that would have been awkward. Must be tired.
Anyway, I don't get to see a lot of movies right now, being an hours drive from the nearest cinema, but I'll definitely be checking this out on DVD if I don't get the chance to go see it.

Good on you for throwing that spoiler warning up, Bob. The other reviews I've read didn't even try to be secretive about the movie's second half.

Great review I was really curious about this movie, sadly I didn't heed the Spoiler Warning, oh well I was warned.

Also

at 2:06

Did anyone else see somthing that reminded them of

Now that I know what this movie is really about, I'm still not really interested in seeing it. When I saw the trailers, I thought it was a steampunk genre piece. Now that I know it's a love letter to one of the godfathers of modern cinema and film making techniques, it seems a bit more interesting. However, I tend to dislike bait-&-switch films, novels, games, etc.; so I'm still pretty much on the fence.

Wow, did not see that twist coming at all.
Knowing about it now elevates what was otherwise a "meh" movie for me to something I might actually want to check out.
Thanks for the recommendation Bob.

O.K, if it's that big a spoiler, and you say it's good, than I'm intrigued, I'll go see it.

Oh Spider-man with the twilight hair... You make Draco so sad.

Lets be honest: it would be hilarious if Hugo won an Academy Award. Decades of the most iconic and well known crime and suspense films and his second Oscar would come from what is essentially a family movie.

(At 4:50) What?! You dare insult the Demon Lord Ghirahim? Do you know how that makes me feel inside? FURIOUS! OUTRAGED! SICK WITH ANGER!

OT: Huh, now that is unexpected. Might actually see this one then.

Yeah, now that you mention it, why hasn't there been a second trailer? It sounds to me like the studio doesn't have a lot of faith in their Spider-man reboot.

Hey, remember when making a film that wasn't as well liked as the rest of the series didn't immediately result in a reboot? Like, you know, the James Bond series? I miss those days.

MovieBob:
Thanks Bob =]

Seriously, thanks for putting extra emphasis on the Spoiler warning. I watched up to that point, and it was the 'This wasn't included in the trailers' bit that pushed me to pressing pause. It's a major peeve of mine when they blatantly give the game away in the promotional schlok.

Snake Plissken:
I am still a little torn about the film. I understand that it's Scorcese and everything, but the book is unique.

I hate people who think that film adaptations of their favorite books will ruin everything, but The Invention of Hugo Cabret is a book that is sort of ground breaking as far as children's literature is concerned simply because it's kind of a combination of a traditional book, with large portions of the book consisting solely of pictures that must be "read" in order for one to receive the full context.

I've been torn since I saw the first trailers. The trailers played up Hugo and Isabelle running from the Inspector and evading him via numerous slapstick comedy hijinks. I was extremely worried that Hollywood was yet again taking a great children's book with genuine depth and emotional heft and turning it into a farcical romp (City of Ember, The Dark is Rising, Percy Jackson, etc.).

But it sounds like Hugo comes across better than most of those, probably because Selznick consciously made his illustrations film-like. And Selznick says he's completely on board for this adaptation (he has a cameo and wrote the official film companion). But us fans of the book probably shouldn't get our hopes up too much. As the Watchmen film showed us, something that was revolutionary in one medium can't hope to be revolutionary when adapted to another, no matter how good the adaptation is.

Ok, this is the first time I've even heard of this movie, so interesting.

Also what the hell was that thing in the credits? It looked like some sort of gay elvish Power Ranger.

I think the rule is that as long as the 'male' character looks like a teenage girl who God forgot to give boobs to, (s)he can be as scantily clad as (s)he wants. When you have a character that looks like an adult male, then you're suddenly in gay video game territory when they're wearing something that ridiculous. So no. This is not a step forward unless you thought male Final Fantasy villains were a step forward (which I don't).

OT: I appreciate the update on what this movie is actually about. Also being reminded that it is Scorsese. Now I definitely wont see this movie which I was previously curious about: I hate Scorsese and I hate even more when filmmakers make heartfelt and apparently serious movies about influential but forgotten figures set in a fanciful era inspired by their craft. I just feel like I need a shower whenever a director jizzes all over the screen like that.

Topic needs a poll:
"Did you watch past the 1:58 spoiler warning? Y/N"
No.

GamemasterAnthony:
Okay, question:

The villain of Zelda Skyward Sword, whom not only happens to be wearing (or lack there of) overly strange clothes, but he's genuinely creepy and he makes you really punch his face. I haven't beaten the game yet, I'm not even halfway through yet, but given the trend of every single Zelda game (save for a few exceptions, mainly in the handheld realm), he may not be the big bad of the story.

OT: Seems like a good movie, I'll try to watch it the first chance I get, I'm having pretty heavy and tight schedule these days.

Knew about the spoiler beforehand, still loved the movie.

Now I need to read the book.

Great review Bob. I had no opinion about the movie, and no interest about seeing it, now I'm curious. You did a great job with the spoiler warning, which I blew past without thought and if I hadn't I still wouldn't have wanted to see the film.

OT: I find it amusing how many people are labeling talk about the movie OT.

ZZoMBiE13:
You have to keep reminding yourself the new Spiderman reboot is coming out

I keep desperately trying to forget that the new Spiderman reboot is coming out.

You're the lucky one Bob.

I couldn't stand the spiderman movies, so a complete reboot leaves me hopeful.

xaszatm:
(At 4:50) What?! You dare insult the Demon Lord Ghirahim? Do you know how that makes me feel inside? FURIOUS! OUTRAGED! SICK WITH ANGER!

Actually,he's not. When you look around at just how generic character design has been lately, this is a nice change of pace, and yeah, it is a giant flip off to the generic character designs of late and it is a good thing.

Haha, I had forgotten about the new Spiderman movie too.

MovieBob:
Hugo

Do not take the spoiler warning in this video lightly.

Watch Video

By the sounds of it, the director wanted to do a film about the life of Georges Melies, but the studio rejected it, so crowbarred in the plot for Hugo and was only able to sell his idea in this form.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here