Serious Sam 3: BFE Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This is looking like a holiday purchase for me. Good review!

The story was still better then "russia invades america"

why people compare duke4ever and sam3? they are different games! sam is - tons of guns + millions of enemies. duke is - beer, girls, shotgun and some aliens! duke 3d was never like sam1

Worgen:

It wasn't so much the narrative for me as it was the presentation. It felt like it was trying to be bad in that B-movie sense, but by the very fact that it was noticeable put it in a weird or unpleasant middle ground. The Tremors series is a good example of going from unintended funny to purposeful campy.

Zombine3D:
duke 3d was never like sam1

yeah it was completely different, but the thing is that First Encounter's Sam himself was supposed to be a copy of Duke, like, the character look and stuff
but nowadays it's mostly because Sam attempted a different approach to what Duke Nukem Forever tried to do, which was combining both oldschool and modern styles of FPS
Duke did it well, but not in the mechanics side, as it did bring back humor, tongue-in-cheek moments and overall concept like aliens and stuff, it's just that technical side of it didn't work out properly

also, I find ironic how people complain that Duke Nukem Forever had too few enemies on screen in comparison to Duke Nukem 3D
when Duke Nukem 3D also had about 2-4 enemies on screen except for the swarms of critters
it's basically the same thing, but with clunkier controls

Slycne:

Worgen:

It wasn't so much the narrative for me as it was the presentation. It felt like it was trying to be bad in that B-movie sense, but by the very fact that it was noticeable put it in a weird or unpleasant middle ground. The Tremors series is a good example of going from unintended funny to purposeful campy.

You could be right there, the main line that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is "I cant believe I gotta do this shit on my birth day, I should be out doing blow off a stippers ass" that line definitely reeks of trying too hard but for the most of it, for me it felt like a logical story progression of the kind of shooters the game is based on, I mean back in the day the only story you really got was a small page of it in the instructions and the rest was just you making up your own story for killing demons from hell in space.

Slycne:

No cover, all review.

Read Full Article

Good to know. It sounds like 'Serious Sam' is being both faithful to its roots and managing to out-Nukem 'Duke Nukem.' I'm mostly just disappointed that DNF sales are almost assuredly going to be stronger than sales for this game.

Interesting observation that it's the holographic-sighted assault rifle that's the least satisfying weapon to use, though the only real downside that I can see is that it looks like most of the weapons are...well, normal. The rocket launcher looks fancy enough, and the minigun is a staple of any crowd-control shooter, but as someone who had played 'Painkiller' before even knowing ZP existed (I hate myself for how hipster that sounds), I know that you can make a diverse set of weapons that are satisfying to use.

The game is going through all the right motions, but when I compare this to my memory of 'Serious Sam 2,' it feels like the game is trying more to be a parody of recent war shooters than it is being a 'Serious Sam' game.

Still, those are complaints of unused potential, not on the substance at hand. Clouse's review sounds spot-on.

Char-Nobyl:

Slycne:

No cover, all review.

Read Full Article

Good to know. It sounds like 'Serious Sam' is being both faithful to its roots and managing to out-Nukem 'Duke Nukem.' I'm mostly just disappointed that DNF sales are almost assuredly going to be stronger than sales for this game.

Interesting observation that it's the holographic-sighted assault rifle that's the least satisfying weapon to use, though the only real downside that I can see is that it looks like most of the weapons are...well, normal. The rocket launcher looks fancy enough, and the minigun is a staple of any crowd-control shooter, but as someone who had played 'Painkiller' before even knowing ZP existed (I hate myself for how hipster that sounds), I know that you can make a diverse set of weapons that are satisfying to use.

The game is going through all the right motions, but when I compare this to my memory of 'Serious Sam 2,' it feels like the game is trying more to be a parody of recent war shooters than it is being a 'Serious Sam' game.

Still, those are complaints of unused potential, not on the substance at hand. Clouse's review sounds spot-on.

you should only compare it the first two sam games. TFE and TSE, both games had for the most part normal looking weapons. they were just more classical looking. many of us sam fans dont consider SS2 to be a real sam game since it was so different and not the same.

Good review, game is tons of fun and knows what makes the game fun. Lots of enemies, lots of guns, tons of fun.
But you forgot to mention one key thing with Serious Sam BFE your review, it has split screen multiplayer on the PC! Not only is it very rare for it to have split screen on PC but it does up to 4 players and it opens a lot of options when you can sit down and play with friends.

When's the console release date? Seems interesting.

Does anyone know how long the campaign is?

Char-Nobyl:

Certainly they are not as fanciful as Painkillers X combined with Y arsenal, but even the simply fare of shotgun and sledgehammer just feel a lot more fun to kill with than the assault rifle. The actual gigantic cannonball firing cannon and the minion piercing grenade sniper devastator are by no means mundane however.

Zulnam:
When's the console release date? Seems interesting.

Currently it's too be announced, but the devs have mentioned it's one of their main focuses now that it's shipped for PC.

internetzealot1:

Somewhere around the 15 hour mark on first play through, give or take a few hours depending on the player and difficulty.

Point of review is accomplished! I had no interest in this game before this review, but now, seeing some of those screens, and feeling my heart start to beat faster and my adrenaline increase from the fast, frantic, frenetic display you just showed us, I'm going to have to give this a go, when it comes to consoles. Some of those bosses looked amazing.

Well...at least I finally know what BFE stands for.

Man, seeing you play looked like serious fun! I've still got to play through the first SS, but after that I'm probably seriously getting this.

It's not terribly constructive but the main thing I took from the video segment is:

'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!'

As of the time I am writing this, I have logged over 12 some odd hours in Serious Sam 3, ran through 16 player co-op on Serious and Mental, beaten the game several times, and have proceeded to desecrate every square inch of fictional Egypt.

Serious Sam 3 is worth every penny. This is a game, designed first and foremost, for PC gamers, and goddamn, it feels good to play a game where developers actually give a damn about your audience. One look at the options menu pretty much confirmed that.

Always Bet on Sam.

Oh, and by the way, be sure to adjust the color options. Makes the game look WAY better.

Why more developers don't do this shit is beyond me.

Those headless Kamakazis seem incredibly annoying, but not for the reasons I'd like. First, how do the scream without heads? Second, do the ever shut up? Hearing that as often as it seems like the player will would really grate on me.

archvile93:
Those headless Kamakazis seem incredibly annoying, but not for the reasons I'd like. First, how do the scream without heads? Second, do the ever shut up? Hearing that as often as it seems like the player will would really grate on me.

The headless kamikaze scream is one of the trademarks of the series. And I hope they don't stop screaming, or how would the player know which way they were coming from?

archvile93:

Coincidentally, it's addressed from both sides. Sam makes a joke remark about it and I remember seeing the in-game lore/encyclopedic/objective tracker mentions why/how they do.

The audio cues actually become really important as you're constantly put in wide open areas and it's how you'll identify what's spawning, where it is and how close it is. Even when you are not currently looking in that direction.

Slycne:

Char-Nobyl:

Certainly they are not as fanciful as Painkillers X combined with Y arsenal, but even the simply fare of shotgun and sledgehammer just feel a lot more fun to kill with than the assault rifle. The actual gigantic cannonball firing cannon and the minion piercing grenade sniper devastator are by no means mundane however.

Oh, I didn't want to imply that they were less satisfying than the assault rifle. Even if I only had the video as a reference point, that would look to be the case.

What I wanted to put across was that simply being more satisfying than the bland assault rifle seems...minimalist. I mean, I've got a sledge hammer in my garage, and I've used it enough to know that it doesn't make things explode into messy chunks. Same thing goes for a shotgun: these are tools/weapons that I've actually used.

Maybe that's the root of it. I've got absolutely no problem with reducing enemies to gibs with the swing of a superpowered melee weapon, or turning them into a red mist from a distance, but I think the problem arises when it's done with stuff that I know for a fact can't do that. And as stupid as this is going to sound, when one of the charging monsters explodes into blood and entrails from a shotgun blast at least a good ten meters away, everything just seems fake. Or like I'm playing with the difficulty turned way down, or with an insta-kill cheat on. I mean, it's a world where aliens exist. Give me something equally-fantastic to kill them with, and I won't have any trouble accepting the goresplosions. But an alarming amount of the time, the clips look like it's some sort of Call of Duty/Battlefield mod that's reskinning all the weapons into bland, SI gear.

That's at least in-part why this post worried me:

keiskay:

you should only compare it the first two sam games. TFE and TSE, both games had for the most part normal looking weapons. they were just more classical looking. many of us sam fans dont consider SS2 to be a real sam game since it was so different and not the same.

This has the same effect on me as being served a perfectly-cooked steak, finishing it, and then receiving an apology from the chef because he usually burns it more.

I couldn't remember the previous two games (First and Second Encounter) very well, so I looked them up, and Jesus Christ, really? If Asylum Films had a video game division, the cover art of 'Serious Sam: the First Encounter' would be what they made to try and mooch off the success of Duke Nukem.

I mean, look at him! A man with bulging muscles and a flat-top haircut, wearing a tank top, jeans, and a pair of sunglasses? Fighting aliens with guns blazing, spent casings spilling out of them? That's a word-for-word description of the cover of Duke Nukem 3D.

Look, I won't call Serious Sam a ripoff of Duke Nukem, because it's not. But look what I'm left with here: the game that I at least remember enjoying is apparently disowned by the fanbase, in a franchise called 'Serious Sam' starring a character named "Serious" Sam Stone in his (more or less) one-man battle against an alien menace...and one installment was disowned by fans for not being serious enough.

Ugh. I'm probably putting too much thought into this.

Char-Nobyl:

keiskay:

This has the same effect on me as being served a perfectly-cooked steak, finishing it, and then receiving an apology from the chef because he usually burns it more.

I couldn't remember the previous two games (First and Second Encounter) very well, so I looked them up, and Jesus Christ, really? If Asylum Films had a video game division, the cover art of 'Serious Sam: the First Encounter' would be what they made to try and mooch off the success of Duke Nukem.

I mean, look at him! A man with bulging muscles and a flat-top haircut, wearing a tank top, jeans, and a pair of sunglasses? Fighting aliens with guns blazing, spent casings spilling out of them? That's a word-for-word description of the cover of Duke Nukem 3D.

Look, I won't call Serious Sam a ripoff of Duke Nukem, because it's not. But look what I'm left with here: the game that I at least remember enjoying is apparently disowned by the fanbase, in a franchise called 'Serious Sam' starring a character named "Serious" Sam Stone in his (more or less) one-man battle against an alien menace...and one installment was disowned by fans for not being serious enough.

Ugh. I'm probably putting too much thought into this.

Honestly I do think that the character is infact a copy of Duke, although maybe not of Duke since Duke itself is a default macho character.

The games however are very different, the only things that could be considered similar is the obvious over the top one man army and the adventure feel of the game. Gameplay wise Serious Sam is very well known for the "arena" combats style.

And Serious Sam 2 was just awfull, the player spended most of the time shooting toys.

Hey look...it's an FPS where the multi-player isn't the main focal point of the game! I should probably go grab that now...well, maybe once I get paid. Yes, that's what I'll do. As for the 4/5stars I know this game is going to be good-to-great which is an even better reason for me to exchange my money for this game. Great review!

Actually the coop is absolutely amazing.... So long as you know how to set up the game and are playing with a group of close friends.

Me and my friends (4 of us) play it on serious difficulty, extra multiplayer enemies and 50% extra enemy health, with 10 lives in total. This makes it much MUCH MUCH more challenging and crazy than single player.

Coops great if ya do it with a group of friends, and you choose the appropriate settings.

Also, just a note about the competitive MP (and I'm not trying to be a massive fan-boy here or anything) SS3 is trying to capture old-school style death match games like Quake and UT, which aren't really around any more, it of course isn't for everyone.

I will agree they mainly forced on the SP here, which is still a good thing.

this game is awesome. finally a serious game to have some serious fun. a good old school shooter game. when i got the minigun and suddenly tones of enemies showed up, i just had a huge smile on my face :D
sure it has some minor flaws like reloading the shotgun (not the double barrel) and the machingun and not as funny as part 2, but still lots of fun.
dont think to get it, just get it. its worth every penny if you like a good old FPS game.

internetzealot1:

Took me 18 hours to get though the campaign, but I spent allot of time looking for secrets, 15 hours is probably a good time length for it.

why is it in giza?

This game looks to be stupidly fantastic amounts of fun, more or less what I was hoping Duke Nukem Forever and Rage were going to be. Assuming my computer can handle it, I may well end up buying this.

this looks like a but load of fun also please please tell me that the music is from the games soundtrack!

Worgen:

Took me 18 hours to get though the campaign, but I spent allot of time looking for secrets, 15 hours is probably a good time length for it.

15 hours? I'm sure Croteam are capable of making killing lots of dudes more and more creative, but even that seems like overkill.

I'm gonna sum up my experience with this game with a short story.

So I was at a friends house. We were preparing to do this paper for a unrelated college course when he had a girlfriend related emergency and had to bail. "Be back in 30 mins, make yourself at home". I took it as an invitation to browse his Steam account. Than I noticed he had SS3:BFE installed. "Perfect" - I thought, "After 30 minutes of this I'll be so drained and stressed out; a perfect excuse to let him do all the work." So I turned it on, watched that unnecessary intro, ripped a monsters eye out and picked up a sledge hammer. "Hmm, no guns yet." So I spent 10 minutes bashing heads, fighting with confusing level design when I noticed a gun on the floor. But before I could pick it up game crashed. So I reloaded, got the gun and started shooting some dudes, slowly getting to that familiar feeling. But before I could really get into it I got swarmed and died. 5 times in a row. "That's strange, I don't remember sucking this much" I remarked. "Granted, I haven't played any challenging FPS in quite a while, but still". Well, at least I got what I wanted, even if I was more frustrated than stressed.

In short I wasn't ready. I'll need to replay one of first two games before getting this. BFE does not fuck around.

Triforceformer:

Worgen:

15 hours? I'm sure Croteam are capable of making killing lots of dudes more and more creative, but even that seems like overkill.

The last level is 2 hours plus and it does start to drag a bit but the boss fight at the end makes up for it, its fucken fantastic, I just wish was more since its so damn fun.

Can someone please link me to the song that plays in the end of the video supplement ? It's fantastic.

I approve of this review wholeheartedly. It's a fantastic return to shooters of old while keeping the Serious Sam flavor intact. The game is honestly just great. I can just turn it on for an hour or so and blow up some baddies. It's a blast to play and it's exactly what the shooter market needed to see. I just wish sales for this game would be higher.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here