Zero Punctuation: Saints Row: The Third

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Saints Row: The Third

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Saints Row: The Third.

Watch Video

He seems really disappointed over the clothing customizing options, but I see his point as to why they didn't just copy it from SR2.

Wow, this video felt longer than the usual.
I got to say I expected every single critic he did, because it's pretty much how I felt, linear story missions, customization downgraded, way too easy... but it's true, it's still fun, though they could have tried better.

It's sad really. It looked to be a fun wacky game, but it wears thin fast. I hope Prototype 2 isn't like this.

It's a shame that it wasn't as good as Saint's Row 2. It's another example of "trying-to-hard" syndrome.

atleast 20% of that was about the fact that you can summon helicopters :_D

Wait, so are we not allowed hats bowler hats anymore? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I feared this would have the same problem I had with Dead Rising 2 - it was just trying too hard to be funny/stupid, turning what I liked about the first game into fast food. Definitely not worth the full purchase price.

Saints Row 2 actually had SOME semblance of depth and coherence. That's what made the "wacky" parts stand out.

Saints Row 3 is shorter, simpler, and just outright bizarre in a "Second Life on drugs" sort of way. It's still fun, yeah... but it's like watching an entire episode of "Funniest Home Videos" where every video is a guy getting hit in the crotch. 30 minutes of that and it stops being funny; but use it sparingly and you'll still make me chuckle.

The Problem with SR3 is they tried to reinvent the wheel, when SR2 had a perfectly good thing going. Had they merely expanded on that this game would have turned out much better.

Ha! Nice little callback at the end.

Anyway, yeah, something I noticed about SR3 (without even playing it, mind) was that it was trying to hard to be "wacky."

If the very first shop you enter lets you buy a nine-foot dildo (along more conventional weapons, mind) then they're basically just giving you things they find hilarious, not letting you find your own hilarity.

Ideally "the penetrator" should be a hard-to-find weapon in a fetish shop that needs to be hunted down.

It should be like a Dead Rising thing:
"Hum de dum, oh a new store, let me check it out."
"Oh, I can buy leather gear, that's kind of funny I guess, maybe I'll buy a..."
"what's that in the corner, it looks like a dildo but..."
"what, I can pick it up? Swing it around"
"Ha! What will it do to this pedestrian! OMG this is awesome!"

It's a lot less funny when they just hand it to you at the start.

Besides, it's a shame you can't make a fat gangster anymore.

I thought this review might happen after I saw angry joe's review which actually seemed to be the only one that seemed disappointed in the game. And saints row four is already being planned and with an intention to just make it crazier. I dunno. This isn't really my type of game seeing as I don't have desires for random destruction but even I can understand how this game was not worth the hype in comparison to the previous title.

I guess yathzee and saints row two will continue to be together.

We are, we are the Saints
you signed your life away,
it doesn't matter what you think,
We're gunna do it anyway

I agree with Yahtzee.

Wait, he's panning a game I like? BOOO! BOOO!

Jon Shannow:
Wait, so are we not allowed hats bowler hats anymore? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You can, Yahtzee is just mourning the loss of the "wear" option that allows you to tilt the hat in a specific direction.

Which is annoying, since I can no longer play my Trenchcoat wearing native with a sombrero tilted over his eyes as he mows people down with dual SMGs.

Of course, the sombrero actually IS gone, so....

Yep, the game was a bit of a disappointment to SR2, but still pretty fun. I missed some of the better character interaction and "revenge" moments from the second game. I mean, compare what happens to Jessica or Shogo to what happens to Phillipe or Matt Miller. WTF? At least one of the endings you can get is pretty good.

DVS BSTrD:
We are, we are the Saints
you signed your life away,
it doesn't matter what you think,
We're gunna do it anyway

If only it were the Saints of Steelport, not Los Angeles.

I'm glad Yazthee wasn't affected at all by his hype for the game. I can't udnerstand why every crictic is rating this game higher than SR2 when it's stripped a lot of the element from the 2nd.

Yea, I had fun and thought some of the wackiness was kinda of funny but less customazation, less activities, stronghold downgraded to operations, instead of 2 seperare gang each with it's own unique feel and story to it, it's 3 gangs in one organazation with no real difference sides their look and weapons, the city feel bland compare to 2 with the beach, marina, trailer park, college ground and huge shopping you can visit and buggy around in.

Here's hoping SR4 (Yes, they announced the bloody game before 3 was even released) keeps the polished engine with a return to SR2 style.

I will admit that not having all those options for clothing did put a huge dampener on my enjoyment of this game.
Maybe I'll keep playing in about a week or two, but really if I want a crazy fix now, I'll play SR2.

sr1[sr2]~sr3 . and the devs said that sr4 will be whackyer than sr3... of course after 40 weeks worth of dlc...

Swifteye:
I thought this review might happen after I saw angry joe's review which actually seemed to be the only one that seemed disappointed in the game.

Angry Joe was actually not a blind fanboy? Holy crap. I'ma have to check that review out. right after I ice skate in Hell, because I doubt I'll see the likes of this again any time soon.

Mmm, Angry Joe had pretty much the same position, though it seems he and Yahtzee are in the minority on this one among critics.

There's a bowler hat available...as part of an on-disc DLC pack. I WISH I was kidding.

its a shame they cut so many of the good things from SR2, like millions of shops, activities and other shit to do ;(

I honestly feel that the 2 games are equivelent, SR3 does have some features that dont work as well as they did in SR2 but is also has a lot of new stuff that does work. One thing that I see in a lot of reviews is that people just talk about the stuff that SR2 had that SR3 doesnt and they skip the new stuff entirely.

I liked that they did something diferent, like when they made SR2 I liked that they made something diferent after SR1. For me this is what a sequel should be, its kind of the same without being the same.

Prof. Monkeypox:
Ha! Nice little callback at the end.

Anyway, yeah, something I noticed about SR3 (without even playing it, mind) was that it was trying to hard to be "wacky."

If the very first shop you enter lets you buy a nine-foot dildo (along more conventional weapons, mind) then they're basically just giving you things they find hilarious, not letting you find your own hilarity.

Ideally "the penetrator" should be a hard-to-find weapon in a fetish shop that needs to be hunted down.

It should be like a Dead Rising thing:
"Hum de dum, oh a new store, let me check it out."
"Oh, I can buy leather gear, that's kind of funny I guess, maybe I'll buy a..."
"what's that in the corner, it looks like a dildo but..."
"what, I can pick it up? Swing it around"
"Ha! What will it do to this pedestrian! OMG this is awesome!"

It's a lot less funny when they just hand it to you at the start.

This is what I mean, this guy didnt played the game and because of the reviews (most of them, this has nothing to do with ZP now) he thinks that everything is given to the player right at the start, its not. There are a lot of rewards, like:

So who else saw this one coming?

Yeah, there was no way he was ever going to give it as good a review as he gave the first one. Because as always people seem to have gotten the wrong end of the stick. He wasn't praising SR2 for being wacky, he was praising it for being wackier than Grand Theft Auto. When the third game is just wacky it loses the context in which he made the first review.

Ah well, I'll probably get it anyway, because I like my games wacky every once in a while, but that is really depressing to hear about the clothing options. That was practically the only reason I bought SR2.

Also, is it just me or has Yahtzee given three positive reviews practically in a row?

Pretty spot on review, and damn it the game is fun! :)

Zombine3D:
sr1[sr2]~sr3 . and the devs said that sr4 will be whackyer than sr3... of course after 40 weeks worth of dlc...

I can't wait. Dual wielding dildos.

Dual wielding EXPLOSIVE dildos.

Dual Wielding EXPLOSIVE FLAMING dildos while defecating on the Mona Lisa and screwing the enemy boss' mum.

LOOK AT US! WE'RE CRAAAAAZAY!

So let me get this straight:

Extra Punctuation: Skyrim - "Goddammit there are too many options for character customization!"

Zero Punctuation: Saints Row: The Third - "Goddammit there aren't enough options with the clothes!"

It looks a little odd to complain about there being less options when a few days earlier (or later, depending on when the video was made) you went on about how there's "almost too many options" somewhere else.

999realthings:
I'm glad Yazthee wasn't affected at all by his hype for the game. I can't udnerstand why every crictic is rating this game higher than SR2 when it's stripped a lot of the element from the 2nd.

Don't forget that another game got a lot hype and scores compared to SR3.

OT I did enjoy most of what was to offer from SR3 but would also look forward to the next SR if it had a little less "whacky" involved.

Wow, this really seems like a step down. The Saints Row 2 review was probably the first (if not only) Yahtzee review that actually got me to go out and play it.

While I can't say anything concrete about The Third, it did strike me as "trying too hard" in the previews. I don't know, I wil still probably get around to it at some point...

...so...many...games!

The story does have some sort of progression, just not "rags to riches". It's more about getting more and more powerful so that you can show the unruly Syndicate boss who's really "like a boss" by running through the final mission with bullet-proof skin and your choice of "death to all who oppose me" or "we the people of 'totally isn't New York'".

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
The Problem with SR3 is they tried to reinvent the wheel, when SR2 had a perfectly good thing going. Had they merely expanded on that this game would have turned out much better.

What? From everything I've heard, there's not really anything new in this installment, just way more emphasis on the crazy parts.

Zachary Amaranth:

Zombine3D:

I can't wait. Dual wielding dildos.

Dual wielding EXPLOSIVE dildos.

Dual Wielding EXPLOSIVE FLAMING dildos while defecating on the Mona Lisa and screwing the enemy boss' mum.

LOOK AT US! WE'RE CRAAAAAZAY!

Unfortunately, they were beaten by a gun that shoot shurukiens and lightening. So, yeah.

Vegosiux:
So let me get this straight:

Extra Punctuation: Skyrim - "Goddammit there are too many options for character customization!"

Zero Punctuation: Saints Row: The Third - "Goddammit there aren't enough options with the clothes!"

It looks a little odd to complain about there being less options when a few days earlier (or later, depending on when the video was made) you went on about how there's "almost too many options" somewhere else.

Well, he did explain that in a game like Saints Row, where you'll be looking at your character in cutscenes and during general gameplay, having characters that looks just how you want them to is important. But he felt that in a game like Skyrim, where you'll be spending most of your time in first-person anyway and absolutely none of it in cutscenes, it really doesn't matter that much.

Personally I love the character customization in TES games so I don't agree anyway, but that's what he's saying.

Freaky Lou:

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

What? From everything I've heard, there's not really anything new in this installment, just way more emphasis on the crazy parts.

It's hard to explain, but thats how I felt after playing both back to back.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here