Escape to the Movies: The Sitter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Having grown up watching The Three Stooges, the movie doesn't look that bad(except for the iphone joke, that was pretty lame). Will I go out and see it opening day,no but I'll probably end up seeing it with my dad.

OK, I'm confused. So, is this review about him going to another Don't-watch-it-because-it's-not-that-funny with The Sitter or him going nerd-rage on Three Stooges movie?

Three Stooges trailer...that hurt my heart. My soul's heart, that is, not my physical heart. Although it did also physically hurt me. Someone call I. Slabem, because that movie needs an undertaker. And then call the law offices of Dewey, Fleecum and Howe, because...

(Doesn't want to work, skip to 5:07 to see the joke.)

So between this and the awful mess that is Allen Gregory, can someone tell me what the appeal of Jonah Hill is? Because I'm trying to figure out how he's become a bankable star.

Good God... I never even liked the Three Stooges, but they sure as hell don't deserve that... Son of a...

Scarim Coral:
Ok first thing, WFH with the three stooges update? What's next a updated film verson to Laurel and Hardy or Charlie Chaplin??? (Don't you dare touch them Hollywood!)

If that happens, I say we storm Hollywood with torches, pitchforks and grenade launchers.

I misread the title and thought it said "The Shitter". I'm disappointed.

The stooges looks terrible, but I wonder if it is actually bad thing. I've been wondering why no one these days goes back to the comedy roots and makes a Laurel and Hardy style comedy film - one where the plot is so minimal, it merely serves as a simple excuse to have lots of gags. Nowerdays, it feels like every comedy has to have a "heartwarming", "serious" and "true to life" element in which they stop the jokes for twenty minutes whilst sullen looking comedians talk about feelings. Pssst, it doesn't work. Just sticking unecessary drama in a comedy will not us make us actually care. If we do care, it will be because of the strength of the humour and the characters, not on a heavily contrived romantic scene or a talk about terminal illnesses.

Fucking A, Bob, I could've lived quite happily without ever knowing about that 3 Stooges movie.

Ugh.

Good review as always. Are you going to review Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy at any point? IMDB tells me its now out in the USA (sorry for the wait, but you get revenge by delaying the Muppets you Wankers!) and while it may not be the sort of film Escapists would naturally choose to see, I think they all should!

Really? Someone made a stoogies movie? At which point did people give this a green light? I mean, who thought it would be able to make money? Who's going to pay a theatre ticket to see it? Not just coz it looks bad, but who ever thought "You know what the world needs now? The stoogies. There's not enough stoogies humour around these days.". I'm just baffled.

head hurts. All of the Stooges must be rolling in their graves

Well in my opinion Will Sasso and Sean Hayes are fine actors who seem committed to their roles so I can't imagine it being as horrible-

*Sees Sophia Vegara, inexplicable Stripper Nun, Jersey Shore*

....oh never mind :(

The Three Stooges trailer sucks because we already know what Hollywood has done to the property even before it's hit theaters. We've seen enough awful adaptations of classic movies, TV shows, video games, and books to know that this won't be any good.

That and, let's face it, the original Three Stooges were made during a time when physical comedy was in its infancy in mass culture. Our tastes may have changed since then. In fact, this trailer seems to have embraced those changes by making all the gags I could see extremely tasteLESS.

Really? A lobster in the trousers? For shame, movie industry. You just reduced one of the most iconic characters in comedy to, well, this:

http://youtu.be/mV1LWhNpTJU

On a lighter note, so The Sitter has a contrivance, but one that furthers the character development? That's...better? :/

To take our mind off the new 3 stooges, here's one of my favorite classic ones.

Okay, I'm sorry if that you're hurt by that new Three Stooges trailer, but I didn't really see anything in it that was THAT bad.

I dunno I kinda liked the three stooges trailer. I mean It's not like the actual three stooges was a work of art. Just one liners and slapstick. It's really the lowest form of humor these days. I say why not?

Xman490:
Okay, I apparently have no clue what the Stooges are really about because I don't know what's so terrible about that movie trailer. I thought they were SUPPOSED to be a bunch of slapstick humor guys with funny accents.
Is it maybe the sexist undertone or the fact that the Stooges only trouble other people?

It's the fact that the Stooges' Slapstick used to be actually funny. If you look back on old episodes most of it still has a fair bit of comic bite, seeing those guys perform is honestly still really amusing. When you put them into a cringe-inducing comedy which appears to centre it's jokes around "lol Stooges in modern times" and some of the most dull, witless physical comedy ever seen, then..... bluerrgh.

.. They're making The Three Stooges? That was the trailer? Well, I don't want to even risk more heartache so I will avoid seeing it. The trailer alone made me cringe, a regret of seeing it. The humor was.. not like it used to be and the exposure of these ladies especially the 'nuns' just makes me downright upset. Nuns, regardless that I am religious to state this- aren't allowed to act that way or show off their bodies to that extent. It's like making the Pope to be a pimp which is a very, awful, choice to make. Believe me.

OT: Interesting movie, but I will pass. Seen to many movies where the humor dies down. Maybe we'll get funnier ones starting in 2012.

Say what you want about the Sitter, but I now live my life by the line, "I let my haters be my motivaters." I don't know about you, but that line is gold.

As for the Stooge's, I'm only nineteen, so I've only seen a couple of skits through high school theater and the like. The skits that I have seen gave me all the respect I have for them. After seeing the trailer though, I now feel inclined to say, "You're kidding. You're kidding, right?"

Hey, Bob! What about Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy? I mean, I know it's only out in limited release, but can we at least expect your review of that film at some point or another?

Who cares about Joe Besser, this reboot looks worse than the episodes starring a dead Shemp.

Markunator:
Hey, Bob! What about Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy? I mean, I know it's only out in limited release, but can we at least expect your review of that film at some point or another?

Well he reviews movies that The Escapist tell him to and movies that critics are allowed to see. But I would really love to get a reply from either Bob or the Escapist if that is a possibility.

Markunator:

Well he reviews movies that The Escapist tell him to and movies that critics are allowed to see. But I would really love to get a reply from either Bob or the Escapist if that is a possibility.

EDIT:Sorry for the double posts but my browser is going crazy.

Xman490:
Okay, I apparently have no clue what the Stooges are really about because I don't know what's so terrible about that movie trailer. I thought they were SUPPOSED to be a bunch of slapstick humor guys with funny accents.
Is it maybe the sexist undertone or the fact that the Stooges only trouble other people?

That's what I thought. Why the hell is a bunch of slapstick idiots bad compared to another motherfucking "accident, worse accident, worse accident" movie.

I always hated watching people fall into worse and worse trouble or bad situations and worse situations. It never was funny.

This Stooges thing, however, seems like it might be the dumbass joke every minute sort of thing that will be funny for a change. What's so repulsive, Bob?

About the Three Stooges movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCq8XDgrP0
I haven't even seen The Three Stooges.

Bob I'm so sorry it was a bad week in movies but did you really have to subject us to the Three Stooges trailer?

It's almost like someone in Hollywood read where Transformers fans said Micheal Bay had rapped their childhood so Hollywood said if people love having their childhood violated then we are really going to bugger them good with this.

Hmm, sounds like it's not as completely terrible as I thought it would be. I'm still probably not gonna see it unless I'm unfathomably bored (Or chained to a bed).

Also, I think that Three Stooges trailer... there are no words. I don't know HOW you make physically assaulting Snooki unappealing, but by fuck they did it.

I'm a little surprised that Bob didn't at least reference Hill's upcoming 21 Jump Street movie.

I'm not a big fan of 21 Jump Street, but that trailer is like if they let Tyler Perry make one of his crappy Medea movies out of Law & Order.

Also, a Three Stooges movie is a stupid idea. When you watch the Three Stooges, you're not just watching a bunch of guys acting silly and slapping each other. You're watching practiced vaudeville performers going through their paces. There's craft in what they do and it's unlikely these guy have any. Making a Three Stooges movie is like making an I Love Lucy movie. The series was just a showcase for the talents of its stars. With those stars all dead, there is no point to making a movie version. But if they must make a Three Stooges movie, they should have made this:

lozfoe444:
That Three Stooges trailer. Why aren't I laughing? There's physical comedy, goofy characters... so what are they doing wrong? Why aren't I laughing?

I think I know why; There are two types of jokes in this world, sniper jokes and joke spam. Sniper jokes come in only at the right moment, they use the situation and circumstace to increase the potential laughs. Like someone farting durring prayer at church, it's funny becasue of the timing and location. While joke spam just throws jokes everywhere and hopes people laugh at one of them. The lobster scene from that trailer it a perfect example of the latter, it just goes on and on without giving the audiance time to react to a single part of it.

I supose I could elaberate more on this topic, but I wanted to keep it short and simple.

oh dear god it's okay it's just a bad dream it's just a bad dream

Oh dear. The stooges... The only thing I have against the actor choice is larry, But ugh. The jokes only worked during the time it was shot. If you take those and bring all of the elements of the stooges into the present, it.. Just no. Gonzo was the funniest thing in this video.

So... what's "geeky white stuff" then? Anyone want to clear me up on that?

The Grim Ace:

Also, am I the only one who just got generally tired of Jonah Hill long ago?

I think the only movie I liked him in was Superbad. He's young; I was really hoping he was going to be in something good, because that show Allen Gregory is bloody terrible. *sigh*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Thank you Michael Scott. The Office is better in every way than the three stooges will be.

Caramel Frappe:
.. They're making The Three Stooges? That was the trailer? Well, I don't want to even risk more heartache so I will avoid seeing it. The trailer alone made me cringe, a regret of seeing it. The humor was.. not like it used to be and the exposure of these ladies especially the 'nuns' just makes me downright upset. Nuns, regardless that I am religious to state this- aren't allowed to act that way or show off their bodies to that extent. It's like making the Pope to be a pimp which is a very, awful, choice to make. Believe me.

OT: Interesting movie, but I will pass. Seen to many movies where the humor dies down. Maybe we'll get funnier ones starting in 2012.

They want that kind of responce. Controversy => publicity => popularity => money.

Or atleast that the chain of thought they're going off of, and they feel safeguarded by "sex sells". You have no idea how angry I am that they're right.

Dear god is nothing sacred anymore? Bad hollywood bad! I would also echo a perious posyer if some movie gets it in their hand to redo Luarel and Hardy like this stooges movie... well let us just say I cannot be held responsible for my actions.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here