Escape to the Movies: The Sitter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

...Jersey Shore...and the Stooges...

I will be attempting to kill whichever braincell stored that memory.

I urge you all to do the same.

So this is the final heavy Jonah Hill film huh?

... Apperantly this is bad, but I kind of liked the Three Stooges Trailer. I mean, yeah, the film is obviously gonna suck, but from what I saw, it was actually funny, at least when it comes to slapstick. Maybe someone should explain to me why I should be hating it...

OT: I honestly don't care about the Sitter, but Good Review.

Gonzo is funny enough to make up for a lack of a real joke.

Bros everywhere just died a little inside. Stooges fanatic Mel Gibson doubly so.

I also do not understand the street appeal of the recent batch of un-funny comics and comic actors. How is Jonah Hill funny? Or Seth Rogen? Or Kevin James? Or Vince Vaughn? Or Ben Stiller? Or Michael Cera? Or Sasha Baron Cohen? Or David Arquette? Or Tom Green? I can take this all the way back to the 90's batch of SNL actors like Chris Farley, David Spade, Chris Kattan, Rob Schneider, Jon Lovitz in everything but The Critic, and about 90% of Adam Sandler's schtick. They're all about as funny as Luke Wilson. Not Owen... LUKE.

I long for the days of John Candy and Chevy Chase and Steve Martin, and to a lesser extent Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd (you can never take the original Blues Brothers. Never.). If it wasn't for people like Seth Green, Jack Black (in fits and starts) and Simon Pegg/Nick Frost, I'd be entirely bereft of hope for the comedic future of Hollywood.

Come on, Snookie getting poked in the eye was funny.

is it wrong that i laughed at all the stooges clips ?

I didn't really expect to be sold on The Sitter, and as an 80s kid (born in the 70s) Adventures in Babysitting really was my first thought when I learned of this. What I didn't expected was to have my heart stepped on by a Stooges movie trailer. I can still watch the old shorts and laugh my ass off, Moe Howard was right when he said that what they did was art. This mockery, likely riddled with shameless d-list cameos (Snooki), is a disservice to the original stooges and their comedy. At least the movie with Michael Chiklis and Evan Handler tried to be respectful.

Random berk:
There can only be one response to that Three Stooges trailer.

And I've never even seen the original three stoges.

I laughed so hard I may have woken the neighbors.

misterprickly:
Hollywood's butchering the Three Stooges... Watch out Marx Brothers; You're NEXT!

Already happened... and of all people the "Groucho" role was given to John Turturro.

VoidWanderer:
Since this about the movie and not the abomination of a trailer *God, if you exist, please keep Hollywood away from Laurel and Hardy... at least until I die*

The movie almost sounds interesting... might rent the DVD...

For the 3 worst comedians, I would buy the DVD so I can destroy, just like I plan to do for Spiderman 2 (on PC)

I think this has been done more than once.... one I mustered through had Bronson Pinchot as Stan Laurel. It was as awful as it sounds.

Hm...yet another thing that I don't need to see. Gotcha.
As to the Three Stooges - it looks like yet another movie that is not grounded in any way in what I like to call "reality" I suppose it's supposed to be funny, but I find that sort of thing boring.

I'll be honest, the singing part after the lobster was stuck down the pants in that Stooges movie kinda caught me off guard and made me laugh a bit. This returned quickly to "What the hell are they doing" when I heard the words "I got you something Snook"
Yea...

Scarim Coral:
Ok first thing, WFH with the three stooges update? What's next a updated film verson to Laurel and Hardy or Charlie Chaplin??? (Don't you dare touch them Hollywood!)

Hollywood accepts your challenge:

I'm trying to be positive about the Stooges movie. It's Will Sasso after all, he did a lot of stoogly bits on MAD TV.

Then again, slapstick is easy, the real challenge is getting the stooges' more subtle humor. Watch them as a kid and all you get is the physical bits, watch it as an adult and you get so much more.

It says something about Sitter that all the comments deal with the opening clip of the abomination called a Stooges remake. Guess Sitter is just too cliche to say anything else.

Am I the only one who thinks the Three Stooges looks quite entertaining ?

I hate to admit it but I thought that the Three Stooges trailer looked funny. If you understand it will be unintentional parody I think there is an hour and a half of fun to be had. Maybe.

I don't know, the trailer made me laugh. But, then again the Stooges were always best in small doses, the movie will more than likely be too long and not that funny.

You know what is really sad? Someone, somewhere, in some cinema, has seen that three stooges trailer and has actually thought "Looks good. I'm going to go see that".

Yes, the fact that a movie of such terrible quality could exist is upsetting. What is more upsetting is the fact that it will probably make millions of dollars.

...good lord... i dont think i've ever groaned that hard before... movie bob, please never bring up something as horrible as that tangential movie again... please?

Wow. A Three Stooges movie. Should have seen that one coming. Whelp, my faith in humanity has been completely obliterated in one fell swoop. *shoots himself in the face*

Before you ask why Bob did this one remember not everything is prescreened so Bob can do an episode about it (for instance the far superior "Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy")

They did what to the Three Stooges?

Now must track down everyone involved and kill!

I usually hate it when people say "Stop raping my childhood" but in the case of The Three Stooges movie that will be very relevant to some people I imagine.

Stooges: if it's magically rated R and includes nudity, I'm totally going. Stupid R-rated comedies are awesome. Otherwise, the fact that that was not whatever-stooge's penis in that box indicates the stooges movie is a horrible PG-13 or PG nightmare.

The Sitter. I'll be honest: I was getting very uncomfortable with the Jonah Hill awkwardness comedy and, yes, I went because it was the closest thing to a watchable new movie this weekend. It wasn't amazing writing in the grand scheme of things. But there were memorable characters with interesting problems and it all wrapped up surprisingly well.

It couldn't have been side-splittingly funny, but I was happy to finally see an entertaining movie with some heart that wasn't Oscarbation (and thereby lacking in actual entertainment value, heart or balls of any kind).

I have to admit. The scene with the lobster in Larry's pants was actually funny.

The box scene after that, much less so.

I think everyone has already mentioned how they feel about the abortion of a movie The Three Stooges is, but at least they poke Snooki's eyes, that should count for something, and yes, I used to watch the original series and I loved them when I was a kid, so there goes my childhood.

they made a battleship movie. is anyone surprised they made a 3 stooges movie. really?

Question: was the geeky white guy doing geeky things overlayed with hip hop music to be ironic ever funny?

I would have loved to hear about Tinker, Taylor, Solider, Spy, because that one looks really good, and I would have loved to get your views on Benerdict as Holmes, especially since he gives Hugh Laurie a run for his money as best contemporary Holmes

May a surgest your reveiw of the Three Stooges when it comes out consists of you repeatedly hitting the Farley brothers over the head with a sign saying "No".

That Three Stooges film looks terrible, so much so I may actually find myself feeling sorry for that Jersey Shore girl...though she's probably just taking the paycheck and the artificial extension to her 15 minutes of fame and forgetting all about it.

Also, if that's all they can come up with for an "eyephone" joke:

Funny how all of a sudden, there seems to be a Futurama clip for every eventuality?

Aureliano:
Stooges: if it's magically rated R and includes nudity, I'm totally going. Stupid R-rated comedies are awesome. Otherwise, the fact that that was not whatever-stooge's penis in that box indicates the stooges movie is a horrible PG-13 or PG nightmare.

The Sitter. I'll be honest: I was getting very uncomfortable with the Jonah Hill awkwardness comedy and, yes, I went because it was the closest thing to a watchable new movie this weekend. It wasn't amazing writing in the grand scheme of things. But there were memorable characters with interesting problems and it all wrapped up surprisingly well.

It couldn't have been side-splittingly funny, but I was happy to finally see an entertaining movie with some heart that wasn't Oscarbation (and thereby lacking in actual entertainment value, heart or balls of any kind).

Not all movies that go for Oscars are like that. A lot of them are actually good, mind you.

lozfoe444:
That Three Stooges trailer. Why aren't I laughing? There's physical comedy, goofy characters... so what are they doing wrong? Why aren't I laughing?

Simple. Because it isn't funny. It's three dudes acting like mindless 3 year old pricks, and acting like they just got inserted into a sandbox game, so now they're gonna troll the !@#$ out of everything because there are no penalties. It's the kind of thing that's only funny to the guy doing it.

It's the kind of humor aliens might come up with if they only had the BAREST sense of what makes us laugh. And I bet they would also be asking "Why aren't the humans laughing?".

I don't know/care about the 3 stooges, and that trailer made me want to barf. Do they honestly expect anyone to LAUGH at that? Oy....

Markunator:

Aureliano:

Not all movies that go for Oscars are like that. A lot of them are actually good, mind you.

I think the term 'oscarbation' tends to refer to the practice of making movies which solely exist for the purpose of winning Oscars and nothing else. Tweaking a movie's story to make it have more committee appeal is not the same thing as making, say, The King's Speech.

What have they done to the three stooges? No. Do not want.

Also I'll pass on The Sitter. I'll take your word on it not being funny.

Three Stooges movie is a terrible idea all around. Nobody cares about them anymore except for die-hard devotees who delude themselves into thinking they are actually funny and would NEVER accept any kind of reboot/remake as legit anyway. The only way to make a real Stooges movie is to make something truly terrible and devoid of any modern sensibilities, but why? Let the irrelivant stupidity die.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here