Trailers: Soul Calibur V - Quick Move Trailer

Soul Calibur V - Quick Move Trailer

Because the slow move option really didn't help with evading anything.

Watch Video

We are getting awfully close to that release date fellas...

Your flash player is bugged Escapist.

303: Failed to load a resource: Unable to load resources: Error #2036.

Tekken have this long ago... but thanks for the information...

Or. . .they could have just made the 8-way run as responsive as it was in Soul Calibur II. I remember being able to sidestep most vertical attacks in that relatively easily (providing I got the timing right of course), but in Soul Calibur IV all of a sudden it felt like every character was walking through treacle and I couldn't dodge jack.

I'm really looking forward to Soul Calibur V, but I do hope they alter the balance a bit from IV - I mean, a lumbering juggernaught in a suit of armor and two-handed sword shouldn't be as light on his feet and quick with his blade as someone with a pair of knives or a rapier. . .

Well I was going to get this.. But now I'm not sure it's even worth it.

And Soul Calibur will stay with Brawl, Mortal Kombat, and the Naruto fighting games on the list of "Non-Competitive fighting games".

Too bad.

No, it has nothing to do with Justice.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
And Soul Calibur will stay with Brawl, Mortal Kombat, and the Naruto fighting games on the list of "Non-Competitive fighting games".

Too bad.

and you spout this based on what?

garjian:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Too bad.

To be competitive, you need a well-thought out and balanced fighting system. SoulCal hasn't had that since Soul Blade. Adding the Tekken movement system hardly changes that.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

garjian:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Too bad.

To be competitive, you need a well-thought out and balanced fighting system. SoulCal hasn't had that since Soul Blade. Adding the Tekken movement system hardly changes that.

And yet, Soulcalibur 1 and definitely 2 had great competitive (apparently the magic word in this little debate) tournament scenes, and soul blade never did.

Other than that, you believe that this is exactly the same game as its predecessors other than quick move, apparently. If youd been paying attention youd know that V is leaps and bounds beyond IV. Leaving specific characters out of this, theres not a meter for your general EX attacks, supers and Guard Impact which is an interesting mechanic now as it punishes people for having less meter than you. Just Guard provides advantages for skillful blocking, as you suffer less block stun if you do so, at the risk of dropping your guard all together if you screw it up. Through interviews and commentary, the developers have clearly taken this into consideration when designing attacks for characters, and are completely aware of which attacks are made unsafe and how much of an opening they leave when just guarded and not.

Soulcalibur has always been a "well thought out" and "balanced" game, even Soul Calibur 4... on the basis that it is just as balanced as any fighting game you seem to regard as "proper", because we all know Wesker's super-balanced, and of course we cant forget the whole Super Hong Kong Fighter 4: Arcade Edition fiasco.
And if you can gloss over the major problems in those franchises and come here and say that EVERY Soulcalibur has been unbalanced, then youve either never played or youre nothing more than ignorant.

How about you do some actual research rather than just dismissing it with a weak jab like that without any actual thought?

garjian:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

garjian:

And yet, Soulcalibur 1 and definitely 2 had great competitive (apparently the magic word in this little debate) tournament scenes, and soul blade never did.

Other than that, you believe that this is exactly the same game as its predecessors other than quick move, apparently. If youd been paying attention youd know that V is leaps and bounds beyond IV. Leaving specific characters out of this, theres not a meter for your general EX attacks, supers and Guard Impact which is an interesting mechanic now as it punishes people for having less meter than you. Just Guard provides advantages for skillful blocking, as you suffer less block stun if you do so, at the risk of dropping your guard all together if you screw it up. Through interviews and commentary, the developers have clearly taken this into consideration when designing attacks for characters, and are completely aware of which attacks are made unsafe and how much of an opening they leave when just guarded and not.

Soulcalibur has always been a "well thought out" and "balanced" game, even Soul Calibur 4... on the basis that it is just as balanced as any fighting game you seem to regard as "proper", because we all know Wesker's super-balanced, and of course we cant forget the whole Super Hong Kong Fighter 4: Arcade Edition fiasco.
And if you can gloss over the major problems in those franchises and come here and say that EVERY Soulcalibur has been unbalanced, then youve either never played or youre nothing more than ignorant.

How about you do some actual research rather than just dismissing it with a weak jab like that without any actual thought?

If Soul Calibur IV is so "balanced" as you claim, why was it not even featured at the largest fighting game tournament on the planet?

Every game has its powerful characters, or did you forget Yoshimitsu being able to 100 to 0 a characters health from a single hit confirm in SC3 and SC4?

SSF4: AE had several characters used in the Top 16 at EVO, including Yun, Fei Long, Abel, C. Viper, Makoto, Ryu, Akuma, Zangief, Sagat, and Ken. UMvC3 has seen a large percentage of the roster used at high level play.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

If Soul Calibur IV is so "balanced" as you claim, why was it not even featured at the largest fighting game tournament on the planet?

Every game has its powerful characters, or did you forget Yoshimitsu being able to 100 to 0 a characters health from a single hit confirm in SC3 and SC4?

SSF4: AE had several characters used in the Top 16 at EVO, including Yun, Fei Long, Abel, C. Viper, Makoto, Ryu, Akuma, Zangief, Sagat, and Ken. UMvC3 has seen a large percentage of the roster used at high level play.

No idea, do they play any 3D fighters there? perhaps thats why.

I dont know about 3, but i have extensive experience of IV, over the measured time by the game online, god knows how long offline, and nobody EVER successfully completed even a single loop of that on me, ive never even seen it done outside of training mode. it requires constant and very strict just frames, but it does exist.
Nobody claims SCIV was balanced either way... Hilde was the issue, Yoshimitsu is middle ground and barely even mentioned. You ask anyone who knows anything about competitive SC play, theyll tell you Hilde is a problem and Yoshi is nothing more than fine. ...and again, 3 and 4 is not every Soulcalibur, i only claimed 1 and 2 were competitive, and you have absolutely no proof that this would be kept in, and therefore still have no basis for your claim.

And yet, 7 out of 8 of the Top 8 at an EVO used Wesker in their team, and its incredibly rare to see a team that doesnt feature Wesker AND Doom, yet alone just Wesker. (I assume it would be the most recent EVO, i dont care to remember their names... Maximilian mentions it too, in his latest Online Warrior video.) Also, Soulcalibur has seen a large percentage of the roster used at high level play. (not only are they easy words to throw around with no proof at all, theyre also true :O)
The whole basis for that name, Super Hong Kong Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, is born from frustration with those 3 characters... Capcom themselves admitted they purposefully unbalanced the game to raise "community spirit", and you still try to defend that crap?

so were still on the point that certain popular games arent any more balanced than Soulcalibur, and that youre still being pathetic.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here